1. Stocks continue up, all is aok. Metals flat to weaker.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Tues Morning! Gold is down 0.8 to 1260 while Silver is down 5 to 1714. Crude is down 49 to 5064. The USD is down 10 to 9677.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/13/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1227.70-- UP 0.80 Silver $16.40-- UP 13 Oil $47.84-- UP 1.62 USD $99.13 -- UP .61
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

BREAKING: Atlanta Bridge collapses on I-85 during massive fire

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by ^updated^, Mar 30, 2017.

1. ^updated^

^updated^ found a way in Silver Miner

no answer
    8:12 p.m Thursday, March 30, 2017 Atlanta News

News
    [​IMG]
    A bridge on I-85 northbound just south of Ga. 400 collapsed. (Credit: Channel 2 Action News)
    • Story Highlights
    • A massive fire was reported on I-85 about 6:30 p.m.

• A bridge collapsed about 7 p.m.
    Fire officials extinguished a massive fire on I-85 on Thursday night after it burned for more than an hour and led to the collapse of a bridge on the interstate, fire officials said.

WATCH: WSB live feed
    The bridge on I-85 northbound just south of Ga. 400 near Piedmont Road collapsed about 7 p.m., Atlanta fire spokesman Sgt. Cortez Stafford said.

No injuries to motorists or first responders were reported.

“We do have the fire under control,” Stafford said.

Route 27: Due to Interstate Fire: Buses are experiencing heavy delays due to road closure & re-routes.

— MARTA (@MARTASERVICE) March 31, 2017
    A bridge on I-85 northbound just south of Ga. 400 collapsed about 7 p.m. Thursday.
    Gov. Nathan Deal said Georgia Department of Transportation inspectors are on the scene and that the construction crew that built the bridge has been contacted to look at the schematics and determine how long it will take to repair.

He said the cause of the fire is not yet known but “the speculation I’ve heard is that there are some PVC products that caught fire.”

[​IMG]
    Google Earth images shows the PVC piping that was under the I-85 bridge along Piedmont Road where a fire broke out Thursday night. (Credit: Google Earth)
    Spokesman Eric Burton said all MARTA trains are running as normal and have not been affected by the fire.

“MARTA seems like your best bet to get out of the city,” Burton said.

Some bus routes have been affected, MARTA reported.

.@GovernorDeal says there have been no casualties reported in bridge collapse. Cause of fire unknown. #gapol pic.twitter.com/gbFpbSfnEd

— Greg Bluestein (@bluestein) March 31, 2017
    Capt. Mark Perry of the Georgia State Patrol said terrorism is not suspected, but they don't know what started the fire. At first they thought it was a car burning, but later said it could have been something else, Perry said.

Troopers based in Atlanta were working about 7:45 p.m. to get cars on the interstate turned around.

"We're trying to find a way to get those people off the interstate," Perry said.

All lanes on the interstate remain blocked. Earlier, heavy black smoke could be seen for miles.

JUST IN: A viewer sent us this photo of the fire as it started underneath I-85. It has now caused part of the road to collapse. Live on CH 2 pic.twitter.com/7VjGyAfedR

— WSB-TV (@wsbtv) March 30, 2017
    GDOT warned all motorists to stay off I-85 near Midtown.

PHOTOS: I-85 shut down by fire, heavy smoke

GDOT spokeswoman Natalie Dale said the interstate will be closed in both directions “for the foreseeable future.”

[​IMG]
    All lanes on I-85 are closed due to heavy black smoke from a massive fire. (Credit: Channel 2 Action News)

Drivers are being asked to turn around on 13 South. We are 200 yards away from the scene. More @wsbtv. pic.twitter.com/vW7VrF9Q6c

— Nefertiti Jáquez (@NefertitiWSB) March 30, 2017
    During the fire, the flames appeared to be coming from underneath the interstate. Fire officials had asked drivers in the area to keep their windows closed.

5 things to know about the fiery I-85 bridge collapse

A resident of the Peninsula at Buckhead, Paula Pontes, said when her home went dark she thought it was an incoming storm.

“It got dark all of a sudden so I turned on the news to see if it was the rain,” Pontes told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

http://www.ajc.com/news/traffic/bre...ire-injuries-reported/FRzANVZ9vgyWW2WZfyN6jI/

Ensoniq and searcher like this.
  2. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

How can an ordinary fire make steel and concrete collapse?

Ensoniq and Uglytruth like this.
  3. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    Flammable steel and concrete bridges...what will they think of next??

4. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    what was that double decked bridge in frisco that pancaked? So, what was this one constructed out of?; light weight concrete? some one set the pvc off? with it being pvc I would think there would be a greenish/yellow flame....yeah I put a hole in the ozone burning buckets.

damm, dropped a section.

edit link: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/large-fire-shuts-down-interstate/507589453

live feed" http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/large-fire-shuts-down-interstate/507589453

well darn

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    searcher likes this.
  5. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

Per Portland Cement,... http://www.cement.org/docs/default-...tructures-pdfs/fire-concrete-struc-sei-08.pdf
    "If the bottom side of the slab is subjected to fire, the strength of the concrete and the reinforcing
    steel will decrease as the temperature increase. However, it can take up to three hours for the
    heat to penetrate through the concrete cover to the steel reinforcement. As the strength of the
    steel reinforcement decreases, the moment capacity of the slab decreases. When the moment
    capacity of the slab is reduced to the magnitude of the moment caused by the applied load,
    flexural collapse will occur."

Also, apparently the steel used in prestressed concrete beams, such as what's used in building bridges like that, begin to loose strength a 500F

From the pic of the pile of stuff under the bridge, it was mostly to one side which would also lead to uneven heating of the portion of the bridge over the fire.

It's also possible that the bridge was getting old and had some deteriorated concrete that would have exacerbated the problem.

From the Wiki page on concrete degradation,... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_degradation#Thermal_damage
    " Up to about 300 °C, the concrete undergoes normal thermal expansion. Above that temperature, shrinkage occurs due to water loss; however, the aggregate continues expanding, which causes internal stresses.

Fire will expose the concrete to gases and liquids that can be harmful to the concrete, among other salts and acids that occur when gases produced by a fire come into contact with water.

If concrete is exposed to very high temperatures very rapidly, explosive spalling of the concrete can result. In a very hot, very quick fire the water inside the concrete will boil before it evaporates.
    The steam inside the concrete exerts expansive pressure and can initiate and forcibly expel a spall
    ...at which point catastrophic damage will occur. Such as collapse.

Goldhedge and <SLV> like this.
  6. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    Looks like one of those cheap 1970's bridges. It was probably going to fall down soon anyway, the fire was just a coincidence.

But don't fear, Trump will fix it! He is going to fix all the bridges, all 607,380 of them. And the 84,000 dams too. And the 4 billion miles of paved roads too. I heard him say it before the election, he promised it.

7. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Remember that discussion we had about the millions of drones leaving the cities and flooding the countryside in TSHTF. This has evidently been a test of how to make sure they don't get out.

Uglytruth and Ensoniq like this.
  8. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

9. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

It was the Germans not the Russians.

10. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Free Marketeer
  11. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

World Trade Center Redux

12. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Free Marketeer
    image.jpeg

13. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    That stuff under the bridge looks like fiber optic cable casing.

Never knew it could spontaneously combust...

dacrunch likes this.
  14. ^updated^

^updated^ found a way in Silver Miner

no answer
    BREAKING: 3 in custody in connection with I-85 fire, bridge collapse

March 31, 2017 Uncategorized.

[​IMG]

Basil Eleby

State investigators arrested three people Friday in connection with a fire that caused the collapse of a heavily traveled section of I-85.

Jay Florence, deputy commissioner of the state Department of Insurance, which includes the fire marshal’s office, identified the three as: Basil Eleby, charged with criminal damage to property; Sophia Bruner, charged with criminal trespass; and Barry Thomas, charged with criminal trespass.

“We believe they were together when the fire was set and Eleby is the one who set the fire,” Florence said.

Authorities gave few details about how they identified the suspects. However, Florence and Glenn Allen, an insurance department spokesman, said investigators filed the charges after interrogating the three Friday afternoon. All three were taken to the Fulton County jail.

Florence said officials do not believe anyone else was involved in setting the fire, which quickly engulfed construction materials stored beneath the interstate at Piedmont Road. Allen said the charges could be “upgraded” as investigators develop more evidence.

Florence declined to say how the fire was started. However, he said the suspects used “available materials” at the site.

All three may have been homeless, Florence said, although it is not clear whether they had lived at the site beneath the highway.

On AJC.com: Read more about the arrests and related developments in the fire

Mujahideen, searcher and Son of Gloin like this.
  15. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Indentured Wage Slave
    Inner duct for running fiber does not combust spontaneously.

16. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Three people are arrested for starting the massive blaze that caused an overpass to COLLAPSE on Interstate 85 in Atlanta as authorities warn there will traffic chaos for MONTHS
    • Officials said Basil Eleby, Sophia Bruner and Barry Thomas were arrested on Friday in connection with the fire
    • Eleby faces criminal damage to property charge and Bruner and Thomas were charged with criminal trespass
    • Police wouldn't say how the fire was started or why, saying those details would be released at a later date
    • Following the fire, construction crews were seen Friday restoring the segment of the Atlanta highway
    • First responders said a portion of Interstate 85 collapsed Thursday due to the fire under the bridge
    • As the bridge is repaired, traffic is expected to worsen in the city, prompting a 'travel nightmare'
    • Aerial video showed smoke billowing from highway as firefighters extinguished blaze alongside the road

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4370200/Three-people-arrested-connection-Atlanta-blaze.html#ixzz4czaNAZHd
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

17. Goldhedge

Tech
    Terrorists now have a new weapon...

Uglytruth likes this.
  18. Goldhedge

Tech
    If Obama had a son...

3 arrested in connection to fire that caused collapse of I-85

ATLANTA (CBS46) -

CBS46 has confirmed that three people were arrested in connection to the major fire that caused I-85 to collapse in Atlanta Thursday.

Sophia Brauer, Barry Thomas and Basil Eleby were all arrested in the 5 p.m. hour.

Brauer and Thomas were charged with trespassing, while Eleby was charged with first-degree criminal damage to property.

Exclusive details prior to fire
    A law enforcement source released exclusive details explaining what may have happened leading up to the fire.

According to what we uncovered late Friday, at least two of the three suspects in the case placed themselves at the scene, talking to police.

Eleby says he was in the area under I-85 at Piedmont Road, a location he says he frequents on his way to and from work at a tire shop, according to the source.

Sometime around 4 p.m. Thursday, Eleby allegedly met up with the two other suspects, Thomas and Brauer, under the bridge. The trio allegedly talked about smoking crack, but Eleby reportedly told police he then left the area before the fire started.

But according to law enforcement, he also drew them a diagram specifically showing where a chair, shopping cart and barrels of wire were located, all of that being key the fire investigation.

Thomas' account differs from Eleby at a critical point. He reportedly told investigators that Brauer attempted to smoke crack, but was denied by Eleby so she decided to go to sleep. Thomas says he then watched Eleby put the chair on top of the shopping cart, reach under the car and ignite it, according to the source.

Thomas says at this point he woke Brauer up and the two of them left the scene in the opposite direction of the prime suspect, according to the source.

Several months to repair I-85
    Officials said it will take "several months" to repair the 700-feet of the roadway overpass that fell after the major fire started.

MARTA said that despite a 25 percent increase in ridership within hours, their services are handling the spike "extraordinarily well." They are also offering special commuting services -- in direct response to the incident -- throughout the end of next week.

GDOT officials warn to "back up your alternate plan with a second alternate plan." Spending more time to commute is now the "new norm" until the construction is complete.

State of emergency
    Governor Nathan Deal declared a state of emergency Thursday night as a result of the fire and resulting collapse. The 2-alarm fire burned Thursday afternoon on I-85 near Georgia 400 in Atlanta.

Officials confirmed that no one was injured in the fire, though miles of cars were stopped on the bridge just yards from the collapsed section.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing some people getting out of their vehicles and leaving them on the road, opting to walk to nearby areas.

At this point, the northbound lanes are completely shut down and traffic is being diverted onto other roadways. The southbound section of I-85 also sustained fire damage and will need to be replaced. GDOT says the extent of the fire damage requires massive reconstruction to ensure the safety of motorists.

Atlanta police said the fire burned piles of plastic wiring that is burning under the I-85 overpass near the Lindbergh MARTA station along Piedmont Rd. It wasn't immediately clear what caused the initial fire to break out.

GDOT said Friday the material belonged to the state and was on state property. Though the material burned was plastic, officials said there was no danger of particles in the air to the public.

Witnesses said they saw people abandoning their vehicles on the roadway and opting to walk.

Atlanta Public Schools normal; DeKalb County Schools close
    Atlanta Public Schools conducted business as normal on Friday, although officials said they did work on a transportation plan to make sure students in the north cluster could get to school.

"We are asking that parents and guardians be patient as we strive to deliver the highest quality of service given these circumstances," Kimberly Green with APS said on the night of the incident. "We are asking staff to make arrangements to come in early to receive students."

DeKalb County Schools closed schools on Friday as a result of the collapse. They said they hoped taking their buses off the road would help relieve congestion.

“With one day before Spring Break begins, the prudent decision is to keep students at home, and not contribute to difficult travel conditions,” superintendent R. Stephen Green said on the day of the incident.

The city of Atlanta and the Municipal Court of Atlanta both delayed their start of business Friday to 10 a.m.

Meanwhile, the Atlanta Braves continued with their exhibition game against the New York Yankees at the new SunTrust Park Friday night.

Deal: Company that built overpass responding
    Governor Nathan Deal said officials have called the company that originally built the bridge to assess the damage.

It wasn't immediately clear how long it would take to repair the damage.

Copyright 2017 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Read more: http://www.cbs46.com/story/35036795/major-fire-breaks-out-on-i-85-in-atlanta#ixzz4d11LJ6RP

19. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

The 3 n*****s should be put to death.

20. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    Fucking negros man....it's becoming insane. Thing that are supposedly indestructible are somehow destroyed when negroes come around. They destroy everything!

nickndfl likes this.
  21. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

I don't think they did it.

22. Joe King

Interesting. What's your hypothesis?

23. Aurumag

Indentured Wage Slave
    It was a secret .gov plot to increase ridership on the MARTA lines.

24. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Self Employed Ex-shipyard Machinist
    Your Trump bashing is getting old.

25. Aurumag

Indentured Wage Slave
    If the interstate highway system consisted of labrynthine, shallow water canals, there would be no bridges or potholes to fix.

The roadway would be self-repairing, and fires would be rare too.

[​IMG]

I know.

Droughts could be a problem.

Amphibious cars, maybe?

26. Goldhedge

Tech
    There always is that possibility.

Scapegoat? The question is why would they?

Homeless are always starting a fire to keep warm around here and some times it gets away fromthem, or they are careless.

27. tom baxter

Retired now
    bashing? Well maybe it is, but I wouldn't call it that. I don't vote, and over here it's compulsory. I detest all politicians of all parties because I know what their essence is. No one gets the top job by being nice to little people. They get it by pretending to want to help little people and by making deals in the back room with BIG people.

I'm simply reminding people of the truth, of the reality. What the claims were and what eventuates but perhaps I'm a little ahead of the curve still. If you're a true disciple of him you will feel bad when things don't turn out the way you were promised they would and your natural reaction will be to look for a scape-goat. "They blocked him!" "They wouldn't let his policies pass" That is exactly the claims made by the Obama camp BTW. He would have brought real change to America is only "they" hadn't got in his way.

It's all bullshit. Obama was bullshit, Trump will be the same, just another politician in a long line of politicians that makes promises desperate people believe. The best thing you can do for your life is throw your television set in the trash can and never listen to another political speech, never vote, ever again. Then you will not be pinning your future on false hopes and will be faced with doing the job of securing your future yourself. What President ever brought bread on the table change for the better? None. They all come out of their terms richer while the man in the street comes out poorer.

I'm sorry if my comments on your president have offended you. I have had my say now, and I will not mention him again in any of my posts.

Someone_else likes this.
  28. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Putin?

Alton likes this.
  29. Joe King

You outlaw you! Such a rebel.
    ...but seriously, you know what the reason is that governments do that, make voting compulsory? They need to make sure most everyone shows up to participate so they can say their election is legitimate. Imagine throwing an election and no one shows up. Kinda hard to say you have the Peoples backing.

What you are describing is a symptom of partisan politics.
    ...and while there is much truth in what you are saying, perhaps it's a good thing because without out it we would obviously have had a lot more change over the years if everyone in DC agreed on most things. Change that could have truly taken us off on a tangent.

So the way I see it, gridlock is the next best thing to actually having done the right thing. Ie: complete adherance to the Constitution as it was intended when written.

IMHO, you can say whatever the heck you want to about any of 'em. Much better for you to speak your mind than to not.

Who else could it have been? The "crackheads" must have been paid by him to do it. What else could it be?

the_shootist likes this.
  30. Aurumag

Indentured Wage Slave
    Continue to bash away Tom, but just keep in mind that more than half the folks on this board are pro-Trump, myself included.

I cannot argue with much of your post except for this:

Think about what you posted as it relates to President Trump...

He is the exception in this regard, and this is one of the reasons that I continue to support him. I really believe that he genuinely wants what is best for our nation.

There is no comparison to ex-Barry, in that he is a globalist, Islamic, foreign usurper and CIA construct who NEVER had my nation's best interests mind.

Like HRC: good riddance.

I pray for my POTUS every day.

I pray that he will rally and surround himself with others who want the best for our sovereign nation, and that together WE will root out and destroy the deep state globalists who seek to harm our nation.

mtnman, Ensoniq and Someone_else like this.
  31. tom baxter

Retired now
    Well you are, in truth, a better man than I, for I have given up on the idea of democratic elections as they are instituted in my country and most others. To pray for your leaders is a wise thing because as we know, the The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord, and the Lord can certainly be swayed by the prayers of His children.

I will stand by my earlier promise though, I have no need to inject my opinions on US politics, especially since I don't even engage in my own, and especially since you all are praying for him. Oh no, I'm not going to find my self at cross purposes with millions of believers. I sincerely pray it turns out the way you desire.

Aurumag likes this.
  32. the_shootist

Architect
    I do understand your position and I sometimes feel like that myself. No elected person can fix what's broken in the US now. No new government, no new agency, no new politicians will make any difference now. It has to be blown up and rebuilt and that will take guts, determination and bravery for justice to win out. Everything we see and hear today and going forward from these political hacks and their MSM mouthpieces is a sham, a joke, a dog and pony show.

I still have hope that revolution can be avoided but the way things are going, its the only viable way to respond

Aurumag likes this.
  33. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Trump is cool and everything but umm... who leaves all that flammable material under an overpass?

Are we to believe the testimony of a crackhead?

What company is getting the contract to rebuild the interstate?

Were there dancing Israelis documenting the event?

34. the_shootist

Architect
    [​IMG]

35. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

Well yeah! He's the obvious answer. Ask any Dem. It HAD to be Putin or, more likely, Trump who will soon claim a secret GDOT conspiracy to make Trump use public transportation! Evil geniuses, those state agencies!

36. Aurumag

Indentured Wage Slave
    Sorry Muj. I just realized that this thread has drifted.

Back on Topic:

Fiber optic construction work is pervasive and ongoing constantly.
    It is far and away the most practical, cost effective means of transmitting data, and there will be plenty more construction to come.

For more than half my life I have worked in the data transport industry, and still do.

The storage of those inner-duct spools is common-place, and in fact I preside over a big stack of those spools within one of the equipment storage locales which are strategically located throughout my vast and growing work territory here in Silicon Valley.

Construction materials storage below public roadways therefore is not uncommon, and is typically short term in preparation for particular projects.

In this case however, it appears that no security measures were in place; obviously there were no cameras monitoring the storage space.

IMO, "the igniter" had no idea how quickly those spools would go up in flames.

90% air and 10% combustible surface area.

I don't think it was intentional. Just f*ckin' stupid.

Apparently there was crack inhalation involved...

If it was intentional and engineered to make money for a contractor, then I hope the crack smokers can get a good lawyer, oxymoronically speaking, of course.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Ensoniq likes this.
  37. Joe King

Those two things go together like ham and cheese. lol

Aurumag likes this.
  38. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

And now a big chunk of I-20 just decided to stand up and go for a walk.