1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Burglar dies after 68-year-old homeowner ties him to tree with ‘multiple layers of masking tape’

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by JayDubya, Jul 31, 2016.

1. JayDubya

JayDubya Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Burglar dies after 68-year-old homeowner ties him to tree with ‘multiple layers of masking tape’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...to-tree-with-multiple-layers-of-masking-tape/

Nathanial Johnson had grown tired of the burglaries at his mobile home in the small town of Leroy, Ala., about 60 miles north of Mobile.

So the 68-year-old decided to take matters into his own hands Friday night by springing a trap, Washington County Sheriff Richard Stringer told Fox affiliate WALA-TV.

In an attempt to make it look like nobody was home, Johnson parked his vehicle at a neighbor’s home and returned to his abode and waited, according to Al.com.

Sitting near his back door, Johnson told police, he turned the lights off and placed a car mirror near a window so he could see what was happening outside, according to WALA.

Johnson told authorities that someone knocked on his front door before midnight, Al.com reported. Johnson did not answer and continued to wait as he heard the person move to the back door and break the lock, Al.com reported.

Johnson told police that he confronted the person, prompting the suspected burglar to fall or jump off the back steps, Al.com reported.

Johnson subdued the man once he was on the ground and tied his hands behind his back, police told Al.com. The man was later identified as 31-year-old Cleveland Jones Gully.

Police said that after restraining Gully’s hands, Johnson placed duct tape over his mouth and tied the man to a tree using rudimentary materials — electrical wire, rope from a clothesline and masking tape.

“He began to tie him to the tree still in the standing-up position,” Stringer told WALA, noting that Johnson used “multiple layers of masking tape that he had wrapped around his mouth and all the way around his head.”

With the alleged intruder tied to a tree, Johnson told police, he returned to his neighbor’s house to alert police.

Gully “was still alive at that point, and there was no indication that he was dying,” Stringer told Al.com.

But when sheriff’s deputies arrived at Johnson’s home 10 minutes later, Stringer said, Gully was dead.

“I don’t think he was intending to kill the intruder,” Stringer told WALA. “I think he wanted to capture him and have him arrested.”

Stringer told AL.com that Gully — who lives nearby and had a reputation for breaking into homes — had cuts around his body from the wire used to tie him up but no other visible injuries. Johnson was not armed with a weapon at the time, Stringer said.

Johnson’s niece, Simone Johnson, told WALA that Gully’s death has left many people in pain.

“He doesn’t bother anybody,” she said, referring to her uncle. “He’ll help you if you need helping, so the family just hates what happened. I know the other guy. His family is hurting, too, but we are also and we hate that, and I hope that we can just get this resolved soon.”

The alleged intruder’s uncle, Michael Gully, told WALA that he was shocked by the allegations leveled against his relative.

“I was surprised that it happened,” he said. “He just wasn’t a violent person that I know of.”

Stringer told WALA that Johnson is not facing criminal charges while authorities await the results of an autopsy that will determine the cause of Gully’s death.

Police held him in custody for 72 hours, the station reported.

“We will probably present it to the grand jury to see what they say about it,” he added.

searcher, D-FENZ and gringott like this.
  2. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Burglar's Lives Matter! Ban Tape Now!

dacrunch, Alton and anywoundedduck like this.
  3. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Mama's boy is a good boy. He didn't do nuttin' wrong.

dacrunch likes this.
  4. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    The guy had no intent to kill; so it's all good.

5. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

But they will present it to the grand jury, what pieces of shit. Guy tried to rob someone got what he deserved , this shits out of control

dacrunch likes this.
  6. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Sweetheart...... the matter is resolved NOW.

See this is the problem and death is a permanent solution to that problem. Simple.

dacrunch, andial, D-FENZ and 2 others like this.
  7. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble Gold Member Gold Chaser

Castle Doctrine. There would be no issue in Texas. There should be no issue in any American state.

Howdy and Mujahideen like this.
  8. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

Oops, I hate it when that happens......

9. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    were something like this to happen on my property......there would be talk of a anal extraction of a base ball bat......and he would be well preserved with rock salt and pork rinds....

true story.....had a kid breaking into my business offices in town...(pissed me off when i found a picture of my teen daughter stuck to my computer screen with bodily fluids one night)....predictable enough i waited for him one night....as he crawled through the window one night...i put a laser marker on his chest....then shot the window out next to him....they found him limping down the road a few hrs later very cut up from the glass he impaled himself with as he escaped....he went to court etc he started sending me checks for the next few years till the damages he had done were paid off...it was a life lesson for a young man...learned respect in one moment of time

10. Alric

Alric Midas Member Midas Member

Castle Doctrine doesn't let you straight up murder someone. An autopsy is definitely called for in this kind of situation. If the guy had a heart attack or something while they were fighting, then he will be cleared of any wrong doing. However, if he suffocated the man by wrapping tape around his head, that is murder, or at the least manslaughter.

I am all for doing anything and everything to defend yourself, but you have to know when to stop. A guy tied to a tree is no longer a threat.

11. Unca Walt

Unca Walt Midas Member Midas Member

Cue Reba from "The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia" --

"...That's one body that'll never be found..."

Son of Gloin likes this.
  12. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

my bet is when the scumbag was having his mouth taped shut one of the passes around his skull covered his nose by mistake, no biggie.

13. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

Unfortunate.

I am all for respect of property but I don't think anyone deserved to die here. Now if he had come in with a gun threatening the homeowner that would be a different story.

14. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

My thoughts exactly.

I applaud the guys efforts to protect his property and I agree with capturing the burglar by fastening him to a tree to await arrest.
    ...but I fail to see the need to have taped over the burglars mouth.

Edited to add:...and I have a feeling the GJ will be wondering the same. Why tape over his mouth?
    Maybe there was a reason to? I dunno.

15. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble Gold Member Gold Chaser

I imagine less than pleasant words were spewing from said mouth. More than enough reason to tape it closed, to be certain.

What do you think a criminal would be saying if you were tying him to a tree? Were he to threaten the lives of you or your family, or if he suggested he'd torch your house, or vowed to perform some other harmful act, how would you react? I don't condone killing the man, but I do think there's more to this story than we're told.

andial, Uglytruth and Traderjoe like this.
  16. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Sad thing is he'd have been better off waiting with a shotgun and just shooting him when he came inside. No questions would be asked.

Son of Gloin and JayDubya like this.
  17. viking

viking Silver Member Silver Miner

Bigger mess to clean up.

Goldhedge likes this.
  18. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

Doesn't matter what he may or may not have been saying. Taping a mouth has nothing to do with physically restraining the guy.

I understand that emotions were likely to be running high, but IMHO taping his mouth was not a smart thing to do.

19. viking

viking Silver Member Silver Miner

Duct tape is silver, but silence is golden.

Usury and andial like this.
  20. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

21. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    Hey, it was dark outside!

andial likes this.
  22. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    If he stayed home that night he wouldn't be dead. I have no sympathy. You reap what you sow! When was the last time you broke into someone's home? A decision like that comes with risk!

Uglytruth and andial like this.
  23. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Just 1 bullet could have ended this the same way & we would not be talking about it. Problem solved permanently!

Don't forget the "unseen" side of this story. How many others did he rob? It was his "job" right? How many did he get away with? How many items were stolen? How many had to pay insurance deductibles and ended up paying higher rates taking away savings or opportunities? How many not replaceable (grandma's ring or whatever) items were stolen? How much stuff was damaged? How many of his targets are now living in fear? What do you tell your 6 year old that's sacred to go to sleep or Grandma's house? What does it do to the value of your home?

I have long wondered the value of public stoning or shackles or public punishment of any kind. While it was a way to embarrass or eliminate the unwanted member of society...... it also sent one heck of a message to the public. Walk a straight line & you won't have to go through this yourself.

glockngold likes this.