1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Business News & Views - Metals, Markets, Shipping, Energy, More

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by searcher, Aug 25, 2017.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

2. searcher

Asian Metals Market Update: January-2-2018
    By: Chintan Karnani, Insignia Consultants
    Momentum as well as technicals for the US dollar are bearish. Everyone is short the greenback. I will prefer to look for signs of profit taking on short US dollar positions. FOMC minutes on Wednesday, US December private ADP employment numbers on Thursday and US December nonfarm payrolls on Friday will affect the short term trend of the US dollar. Last year the focus of the markets was on interest rate hikes by the Federal Reserve.

3. searcher

EXCLUSIVE: The secret deals which shaped our lives: How big businesses got together to make sure your light bulb wouldn't last, you'd always want a newer car, and you'd always go back on a diet
    • Investigative reporter Jacques Peretti reveals the private business deals that shaped the tech business, the pharmaceutical industry, and diet industry
    • In The Deals That Made the World, he reveals how a secret meeting in Geneva in 1932 created a plan to make the light bulb obsolete
    • He also writes how one pharmaceutical exec's dream became reality after the pharmaceutical industry marketed drugs to healthy people

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5199481/Book-reveals-secret-conspiracy-make-products-obsolete.html#ixzz533IIh0BF
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

4. searcher

5. searcher

Is Sub-Prime Auto Loan Armageddon Coming?

-- Published: Tuesday, 2 January 2018
    By Dave Kranzler

I experienced a real eye-opener this past week. The lease on my fiance’s Audi A3 terminates soon. I was scanning the “pre-owned” inventory at the two largest Audi dealers in Denver expecting to see some good deals on 2013/2014 Audi A4’s that had come off lease. Instead, I was shocked to see at both dealers a large selection of 2016/2017 A4s with less then 20k miles. Some under 10k miles. I even saw a 2018 with something like 6k miles on it.

Why was I shocked? Because most of these vehicles had to have been repossessed. If there were only a couple almost brand new Audi A4s with very low mileage on them, it’s plausible that the buyers/lessee’s traded them in because they didn’t like them. The bigger dealer of the two had six 2017’s, all of them with 11k or less miles. Most if not all of these cars had to have been repo’d because of lease/loan default. We plan on waiting a couple more months because her lease expires in March and I suspect that the inventory of near-new Audis will be even larger and the prices will be even lower.

My theory was confirmed when I came across a blog post from a blogger (Cold War Relic) who is a car salesman (What’s Going On?): “People are buying cars they can’t afford or shouldn’t even have been able to buy.” He goes on to explain that: “I went to my buddy Paris’ repo lot. He called me to check out a 2016 BMW 435i he jacked for BMW Financial Services…as we walked through [the lot] I noticed all of the cars seemed to be nearly new. Paris confirmed my fears when he told my about nine-out-of-ten vehicles he’s repossessed in the last few months were model year 2016 or newer” (emphasis is mine).

Here’s the coup de grace: “To make matters worse Paris only does work for prime and a few captive lenders, meaning a majority of these cars went out to consumers with good credit.” In a past Short Seller’s Journal issue in which I discussed the rising delinquency and default rates on auto loans, I suggested that, in addition to the already soaring default rates on subprime auto loans, I believed the default rate on “prime” auto loans would soon accelerate. This is in part because a lot of prime-rated borrowers would have been considered subprime a decade ago. But it’s also in part due to the fact that the average household’s disposable income is getting squeezed and what might seem affordable in the present – e.g. an brand new Audi or BMW lease/loan payment – can quickly become unaffordable.

A recent article from Bloomberg discussed “soaring” subprime auto loan defaults in connection with the fact that several Private Equity firms bought out subprime auto lending companies starting about six years ago. The investment rationale was based on expanding the loan portfolios and cashing out the “value” created in the IPO market. One company, Flagship, was bought out by Perella Weinberg in 2010. It took the loan portfolio from $89 million 2011 to nearly $3 billion. Bad loan write-offs have soared. PW tried to IPO the company in 2015. It’s still trying. Based on the two anecdotes of new car repossessions described above, it’s a good bet that the investments in most subprime auto lenders will eventually have to be written-off entirely.

The total amount of subprime auto loans outstanding is nearly $300 billion. This number is from the NY Fed. I would argue that, in reality, it’s well over $300 billion. If you add to that the amount of subprime credit card debt outstanding, the total amount of “consumer” subprime debt is in excess of the amount of subprime mortgage debt ($650 billion) at the peak of the mid-2000’s credit bubble. This is not going to end well. In fact, I suspect the eventual credit implosion will be much worse than what occurred in 2008.

http://investmentresearchdynamics.com/is-sub-prime-auto-loan-armageddon-coming/

http://news.goldseek.com/GoldSeek/1514905380.php

6. searcher

Icy Rivers Slow New York Barges Trying to Deliver Heating Fuel

January 2, 2018 by Bloomberg

[​IMG]
    Coast Guard Cutter Penobscot Bay helps break free tug Brooklyn from the ice on the Hudson River near Saugerties, New York, December, 31 2017. U.S. Coast Guard Photo

By Laura Blewitt (Bloomberg) — Shivering New Yorkers may have to pay more to get warm as ice in the Hudson River delayed fuel-barge deliveries and the U.S. government warned of a home heating-fuel shortage from the East Coast to Texas.

The Coast Guard has deployed four of its five Hudson River ice-cutting vessels since Dec. 30 to carve out a path for tankers hauling motor and heating fuels to supply terminals around the city. River ice thickened to 6 inches north of Poughkeepsie, New York, over the weekend, according to Steve Strohmeyer, a U.S. Coast Guard spokesman. The agency later warned of ice conditions forming around Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries.

U.S. retail diesel prices averaged $2.87 a gallon on New Year’s Day, the most since June 2015, according to motorist group AAA.

© 2018 Bloomberg L.P

Filed Under: News Tagged With: tankers

http://gcaptain.com/icy-rivers-slow-new-york-barges-trying-to-deliver-heating-fuel/

7. searcher

Russia Posts Highest-Ever Natural Gas Output in Expansion Drive

January 2, 2018 by Bloomberg

[​IMG]
    The Christophe de Margerie, the first of 15 icebreaking LNG carriers ordered for the Yamal LNG project to provide transport of LNG year-round in the Arctic, loads its first cargo at the Yamal LNG plant at the Port of Sabetta on the Yamal Peninsula, December 8, 2017. Photo: SCF Group

By Elena Mazneva and Jake Rudnitsky (Bloomberg) — Russia registered its highest-ever natural gas production last year amid plans to expand into China and boost sales of liquefied natural gas.

The nation’s output of the fuel jumped 7.9 percent to 690.5 billion cubic meters, according to data emailed Tuesday by the Russian Energy Ministry’s CDU-TEK unit. That beat the previous record, set in 2011, by 2.9 percent.

Russia, the world’s largest gas exporter, is working to boost output with plans to increase production of LNG with new plants in an area that stretches from the Baltic region to its Pacific coast. That will put the country up against the biggest producers of the super-chilled fuel, including Qatar, Australia and the U.S. Russia has resources to increase its LNG production almost 10 times by 2035, led by the privately-owned Novatek PJSC in the Arctic, according to the nation’s Energy Ministry.

The country is also working to keep shipments to Europe near record levels this year as state-run Gazprom PJSC, the continent’s biggest supplier, plans to start pipeline exports to China in late 2019. Gazprom meets more than a third of Europe’s demand for natural gas, Russia’s biggest and most lucrative market worth some $37 billion in revenue this year.

The U.S. became the world’s largest natural gas producer in 2009, leapfrogging Russia thanks to its fracking revolution. It pumped 22.1 trillion cubic feet (about 626 billion cubic meters) of dry gas in first 10 months of 2017, according to December data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration. This was 11 percent higher than Russia for the same period.

The U.S. imposed financial sanctions against Novatek PJSC in 2014 after Russia annexed Crimea and last year added export pipelines to the list of sanctions against Russia, setting risks for Gazprom’s projects. Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered the government in December to identify economic and political “threats” to the nation’s gas projects as well as steps to take to overcome or minimize them.

Russia has resources to increase its LNG production almost 10 times to about 100 million tons by 2035, led by the privately-owned Novatek in the Arctic, according to the nation’s Energy Ministry.

Officials in Moscow are also planning to improve gas-output forecasts in the nation’s long-term energy strategy, adding planned and potential liquefied natural gas projects.

© 2018 Bloomberg L.P

http://gcaptain.com/russia-posts-highest-ever-natural-gas-output-in-expansion-drive/

Filed Under: Maritime News, News Tagged With: LNG, russia

8. searcher

News, Gold & Silver, Steemit Instruction/Motivation
    Junius Maltby

Streamed live 19 hours ago
    Follow me on Steemit: https://steemit.com/@juniusmaltby Today we cover news, gold, silver, retirement, inflation and the erosion of wealth, and Steemit!!! Ignore it when it cuts out it comes RIGHT BACK! Sorry I fix it. It is the dumb wi-fi. I need a new router......

9. searcher

Early Market Update and a Look at the Wilting Dollar.
    maneco64

Published on Jan 3, 2018
    In this report I cover the early market action from London on Wednesday, January 3rd, 2018. I go through the precious metals, currencies, stock, bond and crypto currency markets.

10. searcher

11. searcher

12. searcher

13. searcher

Green On the Board, News & Biggest Employer In USA!?
    Junius Maltby

Streamed live 2 hours ago
    News, metals, financial headlines, GOLD & SILVER, discussions and live comments! Thanks for joining the Junius Maltby Channel! Please LIKE, SHARE and SUB. Thank you all for the ongoing gratitude and support, your kindness and motivation keeps me here. **It cuts out for a few seconds on 2 occasions when the JDAMS hit my house. I come back on - bunker is fine.
    Thank you for supporting the Junius Maltby Channel!

14. searcher

Gold Seeker Closing Report: Gold and Silver End Slightly Lower
    By: Chris Mullen, Gold Seeker Report
    Gold dropped $6.40 to $1311.80 in Asia before it rallied to $1317.80 in London and then fell back to a new session low of $1307.50 after the release of fed minutes in New York, but it then jumped back higher in late trade and ended with a loss of just 0.25%. Silver slipped to as low as $17.032 and ended with a loss of 0.17%.

15. searcher

Cryptocurrency, Stocks, Gold & Silver: Things To Come In 2018 - Mike Maloney
    GoldSilver (w/ Mike Maloney)

Published on Jan 2, 2018
    https://goldsilver.com/ Join Mike Maloney for his latest report on what he expects for 2018. Bitcoin, stocks, gold and silver are all covered in this in-depth look at today's financial climate...strap in because this is not going to be pretty - unless you are a precious metals or crypto investor. Here is the link to the article Mike was referencing: https://latest.13d.com/toxic-mix-of-l...

16. searcher

Ira Epstein's End of the Day Financial Video 1 3 2018
    Ira Epstein

Published on Jan 3, 2018

17. searcher

Ira Epstein's Metals Video 1 3 2018
    Ira Epstein

Published on Jan 3, 2018

18. searcher

Ira Epstein's End of the Day Agriculture Video 1 3 2018
    Ira Epstein

Published on Jan 3, 2018

19. searcher

[InsideBiz] Ep.41 - 2018 Economic Issues / Rising Trends / Outlook for the Core Technologies
    ARIRANG TV

Published on Jan 3, 2018
    Major economic issues in 2018 / Rising economic trends in 2018 / Outlook for the core technologies in 2018 / 2018 소비심리 키워드로 알아보는 경제이슈 / 2018소비심리 키워드로 알아보는 경제트렌드 / 2018, 4차 산업혁명 신기술 경제 전망

Major economic issues in 2018
    We look into various economic issues that will grab attention in 2018. First, we introduce the rise of virtual currency market and the outlook for the industry. Also, we analyze the 2nd Pangyo Techno Valley, which is expected to be a hub for nurturing venture businesses. The minimum wage for the year 2018 was set at 7,530 Korean won which is about 7 dollars per hour, and it means a 16.4% increase from the previous year. Various challenges including the burden of business owners on labor cost and employment instability of contract workers are expected to take place. We introduce major economic issues that will garner attention in 2018.

Rising economic trends in 2018
    Querencia, which refers to a private space where people can have a rest, has emerged as a popular trend among people who are struggling everyday to survive at work. In the past, people used to focus on cost-effectiveness when purchasing goods. However, growing number of consumers have put top priority on personal satisfaction instead of the product quality and performances. Also, "untact technology," which can provide non-face-to-face services, has emerged as a new shopping trend. We report on various economic trends that is predicted to generate buzz in 2018.

Outlook for the core technologies in 2018
    Technology has played a critical role for the country's economic development. What kind of technologies will drive the domestic economy in 2018? The rise of smart city, which implemented cutting-edge IT skills to tackle various social issues and improve the quality of people's lives, has also influenced on the airport as well. Also, the OLED display is expected to achieve further development along with the growth of flexible displays. Robots that can provide personal services including translation have been developed and have had a great impact on the public as well as private sectors. We analyze a variety of new technologies that will receive the limelight in 2018.

20. searcher

21. searcher

DB - Opening Bell: 1.4.18
    https://dealbreaker.com/2018/01/opening-bell-1-4-18/

TRB - Dow 25,000 01/04
    http://thereformedbroker.com/2018/01/04/dow-25000/

Naked Capitalism Links 01/04
    https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2018/01/links-1418.html

SA - Market News Live Feed 01/04
    https://seekingalpha.com/market-news

CWS - Morning News: January 4, 2018
    http://www.crossingwallstreet.com/archives/2018/01/morning-news-january-4-2018.html

TRB - First Quarter Curriculum 01/04
    http://thereformedbroker.com/2018/01/04/first-quarter-curriculum/

RR - Peak Pharma, Fixing the Subway and Mars Living 01/04
    https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-01-04/peak-pharma-fixing-the-subway-and-mars-living

MtM - Greenback Continues to Consolidate Recent Losses 01/04
    http://www.marctomarket.com/#!/2018/01/greenback-comtinues-to-consolidate.html

SA - Wall Street Breakfast: Next Trigger For Shale Expansion? 01/04
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/4135232-wall-street-breakfast-next-trigger-shale-expansion

MtM - Cool Video: Is the Third Major Dollar Rally Since Bretton Woods Over? 01/04
    http://www.marctomarket.com/#!/2018/01/cool-video-is-third-major-dollar-rally.html

22. searcher

farm talk thursday.
    Ag Talk In The Raw

Published on Jan 4, 2018
    i am here to talk about farming and al that goes with it. dont give me shit if you dont like what i say..

23. searcher

Ira Epstein's Morning Flash Update 1 4 2018
    Ira Epstein

Published on Jan 4, 2018

24. searcher

Rogue Mornings - Just Like That, Behind The Rhetoric & It Won't Stop (01/04/18)
    ROGUE MONEY

Streamed live 2 hours ago
    "V" and CJ discuss efforts to slow down the influence of IR in the middle-east, understanding the administration's Pakistan rhetoric and cryptos at an all time high.

We are political scientists, editorial engineers, and radio show developers drawn together by a shared vision of bringing Alternative news through digital mediums that evangelize our civil liberties.

Please subscribe for the latest shows daily!

http://www.roguemoney.net
    https://www.facebook.com/ROGUEMONEY.NET/
    https://twitter.com/theroguemoney

25. searcher

26. searcher

Petrobras to Pay $2.95 Billion to Settle U.S. Class Action Over Corruption

January 3, 2018 by Reuters

By Brendan Pierson NEW YORK, Jan 3 (Reuters) – Brazil’s state-controlled oil company, Petroleo Brasileiro SA, said Wednesday that it has agreed to pay $2.95 billion to settle a U.S. class action brought by investors seeking to recoup money they claim to have lost as a result of a corruption scandal.

Petrobras, as the company is known, did not admit wrongdoing under the deal, which is one of the largest securities class action settlements in the United States. U.S. District Judge Jed Rakoff in Manhattan must approve the settlement.

Investors sued Petrobras after prosecutors in Brazil accused former executives at the company of accepting more than $2 billion in bribes over a decade, mainly from construction and engineering companies.

Petrobras claimed it was itself a victim, but its market value plunged as the so-called Lava Jato or “car wash” scandal deepened.

Petrobras said Wednesday that it hoped the settlement would resolve all investor claims in the United States over the scandal.

The deal does not include investors who bought non-U.S.-based Petrobras securities outside the United States, according to the company.

The deal came just days after Brazil’s securities regulator CVM formally accused eight former Petrobras executives of corruption.

According to a legal filing by the regulator on Friday, the accusations relate to possible irregularities in the contracting process for three drill ships.

Among the accused in CVM’s filing are former Petrobras chief executives Maria das Gracas Foster and Jose Sergio Gabrielli.

The largest securities fraud settlements in U.S. history include $7.2 billion stemming from the collapse of Enron, $6.2 billion over an accounting scandal at WorldCom and $3.2 billion over an accounting scandal at Tyco International, according to Stanford Law School’s Securities Class Action Clearinghouse.

(Reporting by Brendan Pierson in New York; editing by Lisa Shumaker and Jason Neely)

(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2018.

Filed Under: News Tagged With: petrobras, petrobras scandal

http://gcaptain.com/petrobras-to-pay-2-95-billion-to-settle-u-s-class-action-over-corruption/

27. searcher

Global Fleet Capacity to Swell as More Containerships are Delivered in 2018

January 3, 2018 by The Loadstar

[​IMG]
    Photo: Maersk

By Mike Wackett (The Loadstar) – There will be a 5.6% growth in container fleet capacity this year, according to scheduled newbuild deliveries of 1.49m teu and expected in scrapping of some 350,000 teu, says Alphaliner.

After 2017’s slight supply-demand rebalancing, the pent-up flood of newbuild deliveries this year will be a challenge for shipowners and container lines – especially if there is a dip in demand.

And notwithstanding a softening of demand and seasonal fluctuations, analysts cited higher oil prices and increased protectionism as additional threats to demand growth this year and next.

Alphaliner noted that orders placed in 2017 were up a massive 140% on the previous year, to 671,641 teu, and expected a “marginal increase” this year as ocean carriers renew their newbuild appetite and take advantage of discounts and incentives from embattled Asian shipyards.

Indeed, some of the smaller liner players, such as Hyundai Merchant Marine (HMM) and Yang Ming, have made no secret of their intentions to place new orders on the back of improved trading in 2017.

In his new year message to HMM staff yesterday, chief executive and president CK Yoo restated the South Korean carrier’s aggressive growth aspirations, including plans to order ultra-large container vessels (ULCVs).

HMM would “continue to consider ways of doubling our vessel capacity by 2022 [from the current 347,000 teu] including the launching of mega containerships.

“We achieved the 4m teu milestone in annual liftings in 2017, from 3m teu in 2016, as we successfully regained support from customers through our strenuous efforts to rebuild our credibility,” said Mr Yoo.

According to Alphaliner data, total global container capacity at the end of 2017 stood at 5,177 vessels for 21.1m teu – up 3.7% on the previous year in terms of cellular capacity, which compares with full-year demand growth estimates of around 4% to 5%, according to Maersk Line.

On 31 December, the containership orderbook stood at 345, equating to 2.67m teu, with much of this capacity concentrated in the larger vessel sectors.

Cosco has ordered the most by far – 28 ships for 496,000 teu, averaging 17,700 teu per vessel – representing a massive 27.6% increase on current capacity.

Meanwhile, according to data compiled by London-based shipbroker Braemar ACM, there were a total of 153 containerships scrapped last year for 437,000 teu. This compared with 658,000 teu for 182 vessels in 2016.

Having been on a par with 2016 for the first six months of the year, containership owners were encouraged by unexpectedly strong demand and improving charter rates to reactivate their ships rather than consign them to the scrapyards. And Alphaliner’s idle fleet analysis finished the year showing 117 vessels in hot or cold lay-up, for some 416,000 teu, representing 2% of the global fleet.

This was its lowest level since early 2015 and significantly below the 400 unemployed vessels peak of mid-2016.

The Loadstar is fast becoming known at the highest levels of logistics and supply chain management as one of the best sources of influential analysis and commentary.

Check them out at TheLoadstar.co.uk, or find them on Facebook and Twitter.

Filed Under: News Tagged With: shipbuilding

http://gcaptain.com/global-fleet-capacity-bulge-containerships-delivered-2018/

28. searcher

2018 The State Of Maritime

January 3, 2018 by Editorial

[​IMG]
    Photo By Nightman1965, Shutterstock

By Captain George Livingstone (Editorial) As we enter 2018 what is the state of the international maritime industry?

The Cruise ship industry is booming, building incredibly big ships along with record profits and creating a few questions about safety. The Container shipping industry is after the same strategy, building more and more incredibly big ships minus the profit part, also generating a few questions about safety. Long anticipated consolidation in the container ship business is also starting to have a major impact on ports worldwide, especially given the billions already spent on port infrastructure.

Continued international political uncertainty and the surprising rise of exported oil from the United States is keeping the world oil trade in choppy waters. LNG and emissions standards are fundamentally changing the face of ships or at least what propels them, and is a direct response to challenges about the global carbon footprint.

The recent Panama and Suez Canal expansions have shined a spotlight on competition between the two waterways and changes the world trade picture.

Piracy is rearing its ugly head again in the African continent, let’s hope it’s managed smarter this time.

Automation along with 3D, 4D, and smart technology will undoubtedly change world shipping, the billion-dollar question is how?

The United States, one of the world’s top trading partners is moving away from the idea of multi-lateral trade agreements toward a more America First, insular strategy. The combination will bring a sea of change to worldwide trade. Not much going on.

Cruise
    Let’s start with the good news story. According to Cruisemarketwatch.com, worldwide, the cruise industry has seen an annual compound passenger growth rate of 6.55% between 1990 and 2016. Growth strategies have been driven by larger capacity new builds and ship diversification.

In the next two years, 35 new ocean cruise ships will be ordered worldwide (CLIA Cruise Lines International Association 2017 Outlook). Many of those new builds will be true mega ships with passenger counts nearing 6,000. This segment of the international maritime industry is thriving. Advocates for international maritime safety, however, would be remiss if not posing the question how big is too big?

The question of safely evacuating 6,000 passengers from a ship in a timely matter needs to be addressed. If 6,000 passengers were required to abandon ship in one hour, that would mean 100 passengers would have to be alerted, gathered, organized and loaded into life boats, and one life boat splashed in the water every 60 seconds, repeated 60 times.

Container
    On to the container ship business. A decade or so ago a few of the biggest container shipping lines in the world decided on a dramatic strategic shift toward building economies of scale (really big) to cut costs per TEU moved. There may or may not have been thoughts about driving out competition in the international container business as well. The result has seen less out right bankruptcies and more consolidation than was expected.

The overall strategy to build bigger and bigger container ships has not waivered. According to shipping consultant Dynamar, by the end of 2016 there were 178 Ultra Large Container Vessels (ULCVs), averaging 15,000 TEUs, operating on the Asia-Europe trade. Alphaliner says 2017 and 2018 will see another 80 ULCV’s enter the market. The introduction of 20,000 -24,000 TEU has arrived with the launching 40 to 50 Ultra Ultra Large Container vessels (UULCV’) over 18,000 TEU’s in the next two years. The result for the Asia-Europe trade will ultimately be a reduction in the overall number of ships in the trade, perhaps as much as 10-15%.

A second result will be the forced trickle down of ULCV’s presently on the Asia-Europe trade onto the Asia-Pacific and Mediterranean trades. For North America and the Med this means get ready for bigger container ships being pushed into service in your ports. Ultimately it will be the ports working together with local pilot groups who will be the final arbitrator on the subject of how big we can go as unless the lines themselves decide the matter by putting a stop to the strategy of build bigger.

Scale
    Consider for a moment, the tallest building you can think of like New York’s Empire State building (1,450 ft or 400M). A 20,000 TEU Ultra Ultra Large Container Vessel will rival or exceed the Empire State building, it’s already a fact.

How important is the quality of steel when building a ship the size of the Empire State Building? How will significantly added stresses due to sheer size affect the working life of a UULCV? What if one of these giants breaks up mid-ocean at only seven or eight years old due to a lack of forethought on the importance of quality steel in the original naval architectural design? What about fire? What happens on a 20,000 TEU mega ship when a container fire breaks out in the middle of the container load? How is it extinguished? What if the ship is in port? What if it is in mid-ocean?

In Rushbrook’s Fire Aboard third edition (edited by Dr JF Lygate), considered the bible of modern day shipboard firefighting, it says “Fire has not ceased to take its toll of ships and human life with the passage of time, despite the growing pace of fire-fighting invention and technique.” A container fire onboard a 20,000 TEU could lead to a fully recognized maritime disaster. Which all begs a question already posed, how big is too big? For the sake of The Greater Global Public Trust, should serious safety discussions be considered regarding limits of modern ship sizes?

The greater strategy of building economies of scale has indeed reverberated throughout the world resulting in some outright bankruptcies (i.e. Hanjin) but a more significant effect has been the consolidation. In order to meet the needs of ever larger ships, ports, governments and even tax payers have committed ever greater resources on port development. Around the world ports have mostly gone “all in” just to stay in the game.

The present consolidation among the container lines is reducing the number of individual companies which is making many individual terminals within a port redundant. If a big company buys out a smaller why take on the lease of the smaller company’s terminals in a port? The big company will simply use their own terminals leaving ports holding the bag; happens to the excess terminal space? After spending billions on port development to accommodate ULCV’s will ports now be saddled with idle terminals right as the debt payments for port development come into full swing?

Technology
    Meanwhile the 21st century races toward a technologically oriented future that few of us presently understand even though we will be profoundly affected. The topic that gets the most attention these days seems to be automated ships and the infrastructure needed to make it all work on the world’s ocean transportation systems; a very complicated and expensive proposition.

In my view, a far more immediate and significant development is the arrival of 3D, 4D and smart technology. Damen shipyard Group recently unveiled the world’s first full size ship propeller via 3D-print technology. Propellers are big folks, what’s next? Will many if not most manufactured products be in line for 3D and 4D print technology in the near future?

If manufacturing can be brought home (locally) through 3D and 4D print technology how will that affect world trade via ships? What would the simultaneous combination of advanced print manufacturing technology and collapsing trade agreements have on world trade? Will 3D, 4D and smart technology change the world container business from international, intermodal economies of scale to a more specific ‘on demand’ specialized market that moves smaller batches on smaller container ships to more localized destinations?

The State of the international maritime industry is obviously very complicated with many layers and political nuances. The introduction of giant ships, insular trade policies and very advanced 3D/4D and smart technology will change the future of world trade via ships and all involved should be paying close attention.

Filed Under: Blog Tagged With: editorial

http://gcaptain.com/2018-state-maritime/

29. searcher

Dow Jones climbs above 25,000 for the first time - as President Trump claims it could reach 30,000
    • The Dow increased 152 points, or 0.6 percent, to close at 25,075
    • President Donald Trump bragged Thursday that the Dow could reach 30,000
    • Strong global economic growth and good prospects for higher company earnings have analysts predicting more gains

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5235743/Dow-Jones-industrials-climb-25-000-time.html#ixzz53GgZOrh0

30. searcher

More than 100 'unprofitable' Kmart and Sears stores to close in months putting thousands of workers' jobs at risk
    • The company said they made the decision in light of 24 straight quarters of sales decline, with 64 Kmart stores and 39 Sears stores closing in 2018
    • The company declined to comment on how many employees would be affected by the closures
    • The company has closed more than 2,000 stores over the last dozen years
    • Founded in 1886, the company was listed last year as the 23rd largest retailer in the United States
    • Scroll down for a full list of the closures

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5239185/More-100-unprofitable-Kmart-Sears-stores-close.html#ixzz53KSX1h3r

31. searcher

32. searcher

Asian Metals Market Update: January-5-2018
    By: Chintan Karnani, Insignia Consultants
    Gold rose despite some better than expected US December private ADP numbers. The US dollar is still on the weaker side against the euro and sterling. This is the best chance for gold to rise to the $1400-$1430 zone and for silver to test $2000. FOMC minutes preventing a gold price fall is very positive for bullion in the near term. Investors know that the chances of a quicker interest rate hike by the Federal Reserve are high. Still gold rising is a very positive sign. I expect short gold positions to be converted into long positions if it rises today.

33. searcher

COT Gold, Silver and US Dollar Index Report - January 5, 2018
    By: GoldSeek.com
    COT Gold, Silver and US Dollar Index Report - January 5, 2018

Gold Seeker Weekly Wrap-Up: Gold and Silver Gain Over 1% on the Week
    By: Chris Mullen, Gold Seeker Report
    Gold fell $5.70 to $1316.20 in London before it jumped up to $1322.80 after the release of this morning’s jobs data and then fell to a new session low of $1313.80 in the next hour of trade, but it then climbed back towards its earlier high by late morning and ended with a loss of just 0.11%. Silver slipped to as low as $17.101 and ended unchanged on the day.

34. searcher

Ira Epstein's Metals Video 1 5 2018
    Ira Epstein

Published on Jan 5, 2018

35. searcher

Ira Epstein's End of the Day Agriculture Video 1 5 2018
    Ira Epstein

Published on Jan 5, 2018

36. searcher

37. searcher

38. searcher

SD Weekly Metals & Markets Wrap............

GOLD CARTEL LOSES CONTROL IN 2018? | Bill Murphy
    SilverDoctors

Published on Jan 5, 2018
    https://sdbullion.com
    http://www.silverdoctors.com/precious...

Gold is up 11 days straight. Gold Anti-Trust Action Committee Chairman Bill Murphy says as excitement in the gold space increases, the Gold Cartel may lose control of the price!

Murphy explains the Gold Cartel manages the price by washing out the speculators. If gold breaks through $1,380 and silver through $21, the cartel may lose control.

Murphy says, “If silver can break through the 21 area, it’s going to mean a total lack of this maniacal control this Gold Cartel is trying to keep on the silver market. And once they lose this control, I think we could see some upside action somewhat similar to what we saw in the cryptocurrencies.”

Some of the mining stocks as well could have returns similar to the cryptocurrencies, Murphy says.

With gold up 11 days straight, Murphy sees the potential for a short term correction. But stay tuned for cryptocurrency style upsides he says.

39. searcher

Ira Epstein's End of the Day Financial Video 1 5 2018
    Ira Epstein

Published on Jan 5, 2018

40. searcher

Gregory Mannarino – Deficits and Debt Will Explode Higher
    Greg Hunter

Published on Jan 7, 2018
    Analyst/trader Gregory Mannarino says, “The deficits and debt are going to explode higher. World central banks are going to inflate. They are going to kill their currencies. This is why you have been seeing the rise in crypto currencies. Everywhere you want to look, the arrows are pointing towards inflation. Be your own central bank, and bet against the debt and own real stuff.”

Join Greg Hunter as he goes One-on-One with Gregory Mannarino of TradersChoice.net.

Donations: https://usawatchdog.com/donations/

Stay in contact with USAWatchdog.com: https://usawatchdog.com/join/

All links can be found here: https://usawatchdog.com/inflation-is-...