1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Cavaliers star Kyrie Irving is a flat-Earth truther

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by BarnacleBob, Feb 19, 2017.

1. EricTheCat

EricTheCat Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

It irks me because the ball Earth theory is very easy to find evidence for by very simple experiences that anyone can try. Yet there seems to be a growing number of people unable to make basic observations for themselves or at least admit if they had.

I didn't mean to come across quite so harsh. It is good to question things. You have to realize that you can use geometry and basic observations yourself to find your own evidence as to the shape of the planet we live on. If our planet was in any other shape, many of my astronomical observations including things like when a satellite or the international space station go into a shadow would not be in the same location predicted by their orbits. Much like the shadow of the Earth on the moon gives us a pretty good observation as to the shape of the body we live on.

GOLDBRIX likes this.
  2. #48Fan

#48Fan Silver Member Silver Miner

Because it's so "basic", yet people still question it.

3. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Flat EARTH - VERY OLD FAKE NEWS :-0

EricTheCat likes this.
  4. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Since we've dragged this topic out much longer than it deserves here is what call a very informative piece for your entertainment / edification. ENJOY:

5. solarion

solarion Gold Member Gold Chaser

I agree, there are good reasons to accept that the Earth is a sphere spinning on an axis, such as those you mentioned. Then there reasons to doubt such a model, several of which have been discussed in this very thread.

I do not necessarily believe that we live on a giant pancake, but there are numerous problems(to my mind) with the notion that we live on the outer surface of a rapidly spinning sphere hurtling through space at high velocity. YMMV.

...and? How about these basic questions. How many planets are there in our solar system? Did humans evolve from apes? Is the speed of light constant regardless of medium?

Pissed yet? If so why?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  6. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

Depends on ones definition of "Planet".
    ....and I for one still say that Pluto is a Planet.

7. BarnacleBob

BarnacleBob GIM Founding Member & Mod. Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

Saturn like Jupiter both possess observable spin, roundness & atmospheres therefore we can conclude that Earth must also emulate these cosmic bodies... what they dont possess is the capability of sustaining conscious life as we know it... and therein lays the conundrum!

8. Joe King

Neither does the Moon, but we know its round too.

How exactly is it any kind of a conundrum?

9. BarnacleBob

If every cosmic thing is round whether it spins or not, yet they dont support life, why would we presume that Earth emulates these objects... Earth therefore is a "special place or design" .... evidently made up of different resources & mechanics that allows life to thrive.

I can testify that the ball Earth theory has much evidence to support the conclusion, but there is just as much evidence to support that the theory is also false or only partially correct.... I dont think any of the current theories are correct & acceptable, hence I'm in neither camp, ball v flat! Just sitting & watching the debates stimulate interactive thoughts....

solarion likes this.
  10. GOLDBRIX

Sitting in a car going 60/70/80 miles an hour those in the vehicle do not feel the moving except for tire rumble, rolled down window, or driving over cracks, bumps or potholes....
    UNTIL
    The driver slams on the brakes. Slows down due to a light or sudden accident in front of the travelers' vehicle. Slamming into a tree, wall, car, truck,... one would realized the sudden stoppage.

Earth, planets, sun, galaxy are all moving at their own speeds. We will remain physically unaware until the Earth, Moon or Sun stops. All the rest will have a lesser effect at first.

Mujahideen likes this.
  11. Joe King

If that were to somehow ever happen, Earth just stops spinning, everyone dies and everything would be utterly destroyed.
    Unless of course you mean that it slows down gradually over time. In which case everyone would still end up dying, but it'd take longer.

12. Joe King

It has all the evidence. Not just much.

Such as? I've watched some of the vids that have been posted that supposedly "prove" the Earth is flat, but they all rely upon mis-interpretations of the so-called evidence.
    ...and really Bob, why would it even matter? Let's presume for a moment that the Earth is flat and always has been flat. Why would it be important to hide that fact by creating a false narrative of a round Earth? I further ask, if that were the case, would we then be discussing ball-Earth theory here instead?

13. solarion

solarion Gold Member Gold Chaser

There's been an on again/off again "planet X" for as long as I can recall as well. How many planets in our solar system seems like such a basic question yet one could argue that the correct answer could be anything from 8-10 given one's interpretation/belief system.

Other "basic" questions. How the heck did such a relatively large moon form so near a planet(Earth)? Why is there a gap between Mars and Jupiter? Is the asteroid belt the remnants of a planet that occupied that space? ...if so wtf happened to the planet that was there?

14. BarnacleBob

No reason to get upset Joe King... As I stated & admitted that there is a lot of evidence supporting the ball earth... but I've been around & also read yesterdays evidence superceeded and disproven by new replacement evidence many times before in my lifetime. Seems a guy is somehow no longer able to ponder on or even question conventional wisdom without ruffling some feathers....

Take the distance of Earth from the Sun... that distance has been revised no less than 4 times... and its now ESTIMATED at 93 mm miles, not because its actually 93 mm miles but because thats what the math MODEL predicts it to be... And it could change again if a new model is adopted.

solarion likes this.
  15. GOLDBRIX

YOU are CORRECT.
    The key word being "UNTIL".

16. GOLDBRIX

This is Storied in one of the early books of Zecharia Sitchin if it IS NOT in 12th Planet .

A blue water planet called TIAMAT may have inhabited that orbit where the Asteroid Belt now is.
    In two of Nibiru's ( story MARDUK) passing thru the solar system's plane of planets Tiamat was bombarded by satellites /moons of, and later collided with Nibiru / MARDUK.
    The first collision caused a loss of one-third of Tiamat ( probably creating the asteroid belt).
    The second collision knocked Tiamat completely out of its orbit to where it is today and now called EARTH and Moon.

All this come from what some scholars call the First Science Fiction Story made by Man in Sumerian / Akkadian Text

As I see it it is just as plausible as what scientist offer today in the creation of the Earth and Moon and they argue between THREE other Theories of their own.

FWIW - Look at the spacing of the inner planets. Looking from the Sun each planet is approx. twice as far out as the previous planet EXCEPTION Earth. AND There SHOULD be a planet where there is NOT one - The Asteroid Belt.

"Things that make ya go "HMMM"

solarion likes this.
  17. EricTheCat

For those who question the shape of the body we live on, do any of you want to humor me and give me the best examples of evidence the Earth is some other shape? Also any thoughts about why Earth's shadow is round when we see it cross the moon during every lunar eclipse?

You probably will not convince me, due to the level of experience I have, but I will try to return the favor by being a little more polite than I may have been earlier in this thread.

Bigjon and GOLDBRIX like this.
  18. Joe King

Yep, sure has, but none of it is backed by anything other than fable.

Again, that depends on your definition of "Planet". Is every reasonably round object that orbits the Sun, a Planet?

These may be "basic" questions, but they are ones that can at best, only be answered by examining the evidence and trying to determine the best theory that predicts an answer.
    Ie: to "know" for-sure would require a time machine.,

I'm not upset. Just asking for this proof you mentioned.

That's how things work Bob. We go with one thing until something else ends up disproving the previous "knowledge".

You are quite able to ponder things, and I encourage you to do so. However, to ignore basic facts in that pondering does no one any good.

First of all, there's no real way to actually measure the distance in the same manner one might measure the distance between home and the workplace, for example.
    ...and this is a case of what I posted above. Ie: when new data is uncovered that allows a more accurate measurement to be figured out, we go with the new and more accurate data.

What it seems you are after is an exact knowledge of things that happened eons ago when no one was around to actually observe it. Or at least no one we can talk to today about it with.
    ...and yes, it is a bit unsatisfying to not have actual and definitive answers to these things, but as it stands the best we can do is continue to more closely examine the evidence left behind and see what matches which theories, and then go from there.

19. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    Bob. Man has been in into space, hundreds of people have, from many different nations and they all reported seeing the same thing, a curved planet passing below them as they go around and around it. Are you suggesting that perhaps all these astronauts are involved in a conspiracy of lies? That is the real test of science btw, go and observe, report what you see and measure.

This whole thread is a debate about a delusion. I can't believe anyone with a modicum of intelligence would consider the earth is not round. Hundreds of years of science, decades of direct observation, and the deployment of literally thousands of ORBITING satellites attest it is so. Just because your government lies to you on a regular basis don't assume that the scientific community of the entire planet is involved in some conspiracy.

I can't believe I'm actually wasting my time discussing this.

TAEZZAR and EricTheCat like this.
  20. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Basketball legend Shaquille O'Neal says the Earth is FLAT in bizarre rant dismissing 'all that gravity stuff'
    • The Hall of Famer made the claim during an episode of his podcast last month
    • 'So, listen, I drive from coast to coast, and this s*** is flat to me,' the big man said
    • Shaq doubled down by saying satellite imagery could be 'drawn and made up'
    • The claim was in defense of Kyrie Irving - who said the same thing last month

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4329112/Shaquille-O-Neal-says-Earth-flat-bizarre-rant.html#ixzz4bnh6g6PV
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

21. Joe King

Proof the Earth is curved and not flat. If it were flat the water line on the opposite side of the valley would line up with a level placed on the other side, but it doesn't. If Earth were flat, it would.

22. Bigjon

Bigjon Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  23. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    Lunar Eclipse

flat_earth_lunar_eclipse.png

24. tom baxter

Retired now
    Ha Ha Ha. You forgot the little pyramid of dirt below it though, gotta have that little foundation to make it "credible"

25. EricTheCat

lol, shouldn't there be a shadow of a turtle too?

26. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    We can finally put this round earth crap to bed.

27. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

How does an airplane fly straight on a flat planet and somehow end up in the same place it left ? Does it disappear at one edge and magically re-appear on the other like pac man?

28. Bigjon

Bigjon Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

29. tom baxter

Retired now
    Don't give the nutJobs ideas, they'll run with that one.

30. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    Just sayin...

flat_earth.png

31. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

32. Joe King

That's all I got.

Edited to add: a logical and scientific look at flat Earth, and disc Worlds in general.

searcher likes this.
  33. Juristic Person

Juristic Person They drew first blood Platinum Bling

What's interesting to me is that there are hundreds of structures around the world that world built with mathematical precision and perfectly aligned with the constellations - and were built in perfect alignment on the belief that the Earth is flat and stationary - not a round spinning ball that is speeding through the universe at hundreds of thousands of miles per hour.

Also interesting that after hundreds of years, those constellations look the same today.

I think it is safe to say that there is much about the universe we do not know. In terms of complete understanding, we are far under 1%.

TAEZZAR and BarnacleBob like this.
  34. BarnacleBob

35. Juristic Person

Juristic Person They drew first blood Platinum Bling

That's because they never went.

BarnacleBob likes this.
  36. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

That is for damn sure !

37. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

If the earth is flat:
    1. How thick is it?
    2. What is on the edges?
    3. Can we go to/on the edges ?
    4. What is on the "other side"?
    5. Can we go to the other side ?
    6. Why is my marine band radio limited to distance verses how high it is off the ocean ?
    7. Why is it, that with the most powerful binoculars, a ship soon disappears over the "horizon" ?
    8. Where is the moon located & how does in "revolve" around the earth ?
    9. Where does the sun "set" each night ?
    10. Does the sun therefore revolve around the earth ?
    11. Why are the seasons at opposite times of the year, below the equator ?
    12. What then is the equator & why do we have one ?
    13. How is it that we have the summer/winter solstice, where the sun sets, very predictably, at the same points at the end of winter & summer ?
    14. How does the weather travel about the earth, does it do a "U" turn somewhere ?

If there are no satellites & all signals come from cell antenna's:
    Why does my GPS work ANYWHERE ON THE OCEAN, but my cell phone only receives a few miles off the coast?

Logic dictates that the earth is generally in an approximate shape of round.

Answer all of these questions using flat earth logic/facts & I will start to believe !!!

I totally understand that we are lied to at all levels, but some things just seem to be, with or without the lies !

LOOKS LIKE THANKSGIVING DINNER TO ME !! BUT FOR WHO ??? LOLOLOL

FLAT EARTH..jpg

38. BarnacleBob

About 40 yrs ago I was aquainted with a guy who built his own 8" telescope excepting the eye lenses... he invited me to his home to share in some sky watching. On his scope was attached a variable speed timer used to sync up supposedly the movements of the rotating earth with the stars & planets. Without the device, the object being viewed would quickly move across the view out of sight. The greater the distance of the object being viewed the quicker the object moved in the eye piece. After the initial visit we got together once or twice a week on clear nights and stargazed for hours on end.

I cannot say whether the earth was rotating or the cosmos was rotating or both. All I know is that there is rotation that requires a synchronous motor that must be attached to the scope to keep the objects in view.

Personally I dont like nor do I agree with the limitations placed between the flat & round debate, for limiting the subject to this criteria doesnt allow for different aspects to enter the discussion.... for instance why couldnt the earth plane be a combination, flat & round at the same time?

2017-05-11-09-44-50--1829637042.png

Recently scientist report the earth WAS at one time a flat plane:

Earth was barren, flat and almost entirely under water 4.4 billion years ago

https://phys.org/news/2017-05-earth-barren-flat-billion-years.html

Thus it stands to reason that the earth may actually possess many flat sides to its shape, much like the above image of a dodecahedron..... Such a shape theoretically when casting a long distance shadow such as those observed during an eclipse may create the illusion of the earth being spherical ....

There is ample evidence that supports both the round & the flat arguments... both can point to numerous scientific experiments & observations to support their arguments, both cannot be correct... therefor the shape imust be neither flat or round in convention understanding of the words, but something else.

"Juristic Person" recently stated some very important facts in this thread:

The observations stated above inform us that the information that has been disseminated as facts & truth are wanting concerning our home plane-et.

How fast is the earth moving?

"Thus, the surface of the earth at the equator moves at a speed of 460 meters per second--or roughly 1,000 miles per hour. As schoolchildren, we learn that the earth is moving about our sun in a very nearly circular orbit. It covers this route at a speed of nearly 30 kilometers per second, or 67,000 miles per hour."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-fast-is-the-earth-mov/#

Milky Way Galaxy: Facts About Our Galactic Home

"As such, the arms are moving through space. The sun and the solar system travel with them. The solar system travels at an average speed of 515,000 miles per hour (828,000 kilometers per hour). Even at this rapid speed, the solar system would take about 230 million years to travel all the way around the Milky Way"

http://www.space.com/19915-milky-way-galaxy.html

Are we to really believe these reports when the empirical observations & measurements have not deviated in over 5000 yrs.? Thats quite a bit of motion traveling at mind boggling speeds in the false vacuum chaos to remain synchronized thru 5000+ yrs of movement & observations! Sounds more like science fiction than scientific facts....

Let me get this correct, supposedly we are living on a ball that rotates 1000 miles per hour, the ball is circling the sun at 67,000 mph, and the local solar system is traveling @ 515,000 mph thru the almost zero gravity vacuum chaos of outer space, rotating around a galactic center.... yet we feel no movement & observe no major positional changes other than those observed in the Zodiac & seasons.... And where is the evidence to support these conclusions?

"Science is fiction" -- William Shatner

TAEZZAR likes this.
  39. TAEZZAR

Do we agree or agree to disagree ?

40. BarnacleBob

I dunno, this subject is akin to juggling live hand grenades with the pins pulled... you know one of them is gonna explode followed by the other two... LOL!

The ideology of science is a religion no different than the religions of theology & politics..... the followers & believers of all of them are bamboozled....

I remain steadfast that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence", neithet side of the flat/round earther debates have provided the necessary evidence to refute the inconsistencies in both of the arguments. Thus it stands to reason both arguments are invalid when scrutinized by observation & evidence.

Science is IMO no different than theology & politics, all 3 are filled with professional liars providing the people with ideologies that provide what they want & giving it to them good n hard!

Yep, Flat v Round earth, Jets toppling skyscrapers, moon landings 37 yrs ago, Gulf of Tonkin, Pearl Harbor, Fed Reserve Act, etc, etc, etc... why would I believe anything publicly stated as truth & fact from anyone?

"When you tell a lie, tell big lies... In the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility... In the primitive simplicity of [the mind of the masses] they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods. It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation. For the grossly impudent lie always leaves traces behind it, even after it has been nailed down, a fact which is known to all expert liars in this world and to all who conspire together in the art of lying." - Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, 1926