1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Comic Books

Discussion in 'Collecting, along with Metals and Numi's' started by Silver Art, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Yep. I plan to get that. I also watched GI Joe and as a kid and I did have a few GI Joe comic books back then. Thanks for sharing. I somewhat backed off on buying more comic books for now because I am organizing my collection (and buying more comic boxes and bags and boards) and making a list of comics that I am looking for. In the very near future, I probably will start buying much older comics (1970's and earlier) if I can get them as cheaply as possible but it will depend on what condition they are in since that will be a big factor.

2. CrimsonGuardJay

CrimsonGuardJay Silver Member Silver Miner

Oh, of course. Gotta get that omnibus.

Silver Art likes this.
  3. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Superman The Golden Age Omnibus? I have seen one of those Superman volume books before but never bought one. I might consider it since I do like Superman.

4. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Another trip to the comic books store with my growing comic book wish list and, or course, another purchase of comic books.

Some DC/Milestone comic books:

DSCI1391.JPG

A Superman comic book (Action Comics):

DSCI1393.JPG

An interesting comic book that I vaguely remember back in the 1980's:

DSCI1392.JPG

Of course, more Spider-Man comic book purchases:

DSCI1394.JPG

I did pick up Vol 7 of Transformers Classics:

DSCI1390.JPG

Overall, A very good day at the local comic book shop IMO.

5. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    I probably ought to check some of these out. I have an addiction to cartoons and animation on TV. Kids stuff from sponge bob to adult swim stuff like American dad and archer. Netflix original F is for Family is another.

Paper toons can't be all that bad

stonedywankanobe and Silver Art like this.
  6. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    As of now (8-17-2017), I have a total of 875 comic books in my collection. That includes today's comic book purchases (see post # 44). In addition, I also have a total of 11 trade paperbacks (TPB's).

Even though I currently have 875 comics in my collection, that is still a far cry from the 2500 comic books that I had when I was reading/collecting them during the 1980's-1990's. However, I still have plenty of comic book issues and TPBs on my comic book wish list that I am planning on getting when the opportunity arises. I feel like a kid again. I love this comic book hobby and I am happy that I returned to it last month after a 20-year hiatus from the comic book hobby.

Rusty Shackelford likes this.
  7. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    Got to find a way to feel young... all work and no play sucks the life out of you!

Silver Art likes this.
  8. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

My Mom gave away my comics back in the 70's. We were moving. She sent us kids to the movie theatre for the day, while the mover packed up all of our stuff. Driver of the moving van had his son with him, and that's who got my comics! I had all kinds of early Marvel 12c comics. I also had a Luke Cage, Powerman number 1. I was so pissed that day. Had alot of double digit Spiderman comics in the mix. GRRRRRR!

Hystckndle likes this.
  9. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    While I was at a coin show in North Georgia earlier today, there was a local coin dealer there that had some old comic books for sale. I took a look through them to see what he had that was interesting to me. I found the following comic book that was very interesting to me:

DSCI1395.JPG

Detective comics # 385. This comic book is significant to me because this is my 1st silver age comic book that I purchased since returning to the comic book hobby last month. Silver age comic books are comic books that were published from 1955 to 1970 (approximate period). Detective Comics # 385 was published in March 1969. This particular comic book marks my 1st foray into silver age comic book collecting but I will not buy many silver age comics because they can get very pricey and the condition of the comic plays a big role in prices of silver-age comic books. I paid $6 for the Detective Comics # 385 issue that you see pictured .

10. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor

Yikes!!!!! Shame on your mom (no offense to your mom). Those 12c silver-age Marvel Comics (especially the very early Amazing Spider-Man comics) are worth a lot now depending on condition. To be fair to your mom, there was no way that she could have known in the 1970's that they would end up being worth many multiples of cover price 40+ years later.

11. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Reading/collecting comic books is one hobby that helps me relax and prevents me from letting work drain the life out of me. I enjoy the hunt for comic book issues as well as reading them. I feel like I am back in my late teens early 20's when I purchase comic books especially comic books that I remember reading when I was much younger.

12. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I forgot to mention in post # 49 that Detective Comics is the second longest running comic title behind Action Comics (Superman).

Bateman's 1st appearance occurred in Detective Comics # 27 (May 1939):

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Detective_Comics_Vol_1_27

13. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Just like you have slabbed graded coins, you also have slabbed graded comic books. The main comic book grading service is CGC. CGC stands for Certified Guaranty Company. I believe that CGC is part of NGC but I am not sure.

EDIT: The following link is the Comic Book Grading guide that is used:

http://comicspriceguide.com/comic-book-grading

stonedywankanobe likes this.
  14. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

I collected a few in my early teens. Read them once, slid them in comic sleeves with stiff backs and stacked them in one of those crap sentry lock boxes. I would assume they are pristine, haven't seen the light of day in 20 years or more.

Will dig them out later Artimus and get a few pics.

Hystckndle, smooth and Silver Art like this.
  15. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Most of my comics are in plastic comic book sleeve and boards to protect the condition of them and the comics are in comic book boxes to keep them all in one place. That is the best way to protect them IMO. Since your comic book sleeves are in plastic with stiff boards, then they are more than likely still in good shape but I am making a WAG on that.

I have to buy more comic bags and boards because a lot of the comics that I bought recently are not protected. I probably will buy another comic book box (or two) to make more room for future comic book purchases.

16. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

20170818_213059.jpg

Just like i left em Arty.

20170818_213855.jpg

Oldest one I have there Ghostrider 31. Smells ancient in a good way.

20170818_213736.jpg

Xforce1 with the entire team trading card and the captain America negative on back.( is rare man) This was the one that got me started. Bought another to read and saved this one figuring it would be worth millions. Lol.
    20170818_213749.jpg

Hystckndle, Silver Art and smooth like this.
  17. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

My whole treasure of comics was destroyed when my childhood dog drug my Stretch Armstrong underneath my bed. Where She decided to tear Mr. Armstrong limb from limb on top of my most prized worldly possessions....

But when my Son was born I started buying a bunch for Him, along with some classic baseball cards from the 60's and 70's. I dont think He ever really cared though......

18. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I do have a few X-force comics. Two that come to mind are X-Force #3 when they battle Juggernaut and X-Force # 4 with Spider-Man in it.

19. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I bought this silver-age comic book for only $1 this past weekend at a comic book store while I was out of town:

DSCI1396.JPG

It is the 1st issue of Korak Son of Tarzan comic book. It was published in January 1964. I will have to double check my comic collection but I think that this is the oldest comic book that I have in my collection. I like the cover. It appears to be a "painted" cover and after 53 years, the cover appears to be in good shape. However, the overall condition is not great since the spine appears to be "folded over" and there are some markings on some of the inside pages and some pages are detached from the spine (but none of the pages appear to be missing).

If I was a comic grader (I'm not one), this would probably be a the 2nd or 3rd lowest grade based on CGC comic grading standards (see the lin in post #53 of this thread) but that is just a WAG on my part. I plan to bag and board this one but despite the fact that it is a silver age comic book, it will not fit a standrad silver-age bag and board. I will have to get one that will specifically fit this comic book. Paying $1 for this particular comic book is the lowest price that I paid for a silver-age comic book. Something interesting to look at IMO.

As I mentioned earlier, I will have to double check my collection to see if this currently my oldest comic book in my collection because I have to look at a bunch of 1960's era Superman and Charlton comic books to see when those were published.

As of yesterday, I my comic book collection consists of 1,082 comic books. In addition to the 1,082 comic books that I currently have in my collection, I have 12 trade paperback (TPB's). I am still organizing what I have at the moment. I had to buy some more comic books boxes as well as some bag and boards and some dividers to help me organized what I have.

Believe it or not, I have not read any of the comic books that I have purchased in the last month or so, I am in the "search phase" of my comic book collecting and I am also in the process of making another new comic book wish list to find issues that I like and remembered reading when I was much younger.

I did buy a few new and current comic book issues of certain titles but nor very many at the moment. I am currently concentrating on back issues such as 1980's and 1990's era comic and certain 1960-1969 era silver age-comics if I can get them for a decent price.

Searching for them has been fun for me as well, I especially like looking through a comic book store's "bargain bin" (usually between $0.20 to $1 per comic book) to see what I can find that I remembered reading back in the 1980's and 1990's. I have to admit that I was surprised to find that silver age Korak Son of Tarzan comic book in a bargain bin for only $1 at one of the comic books stores that I visited while I was out of town. It goes to show you that you never know what you will find in the comic book bargain bins.

20. 90%RealMoney

I had a Vampirella #1, circa 1969. Bought it for $5.00 direct from Warren Publishing back around 1975. Kept it pristine inside a plastic sleeve, in the original manilla envelope it was shipped in. I sold that comic on Ebay back around 1999 for $300.00. I thought it was in Mint condition. Guy who bought it from me told me it was in Near Mint Condition. He said a Mint was hard to come by, due to the crudeness of the original publishing job. he must have been a fanatic, because he told me at the time that he owned around 30 copies of that #1 comic! An original #1 of EERIE, is/was worth considerably more than the Vampirella. I still have a #1 Creepy that I also purchased for $5.00 direct from Warren Publishing. That one is not even worth a hundo, last time I checked.

21. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Thats totally bad arse.
    Thanks for the post.

22. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Near Mint condition on any comic is probably as close to a top grade that you will get for a graded comic book IMO. Mint condition is nearly impossible to achieve for any comic books since there are factors (such as transport, handling, etc.) that will adversely affect the comic book before it even hits the comic book store.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  23. 90%RealMoney

Plus the inevitable fading of the pages.

24. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I bought some more comic books yesterday (August 25, 2017) while I was out of town. A vast majority of them I paid a $1.00 or less each except for this following comic book:

DSCI1398.JPG

It is a Classic Illustrated # 75 (The Lady of The Lake) comic book. It was published in September 1950. This is considered a golden age comic book. Golden age comic book period started in 1938 with Superman (1st appeared in Action Comics # 1 in 1938) and ended in the early 1950's (1954?). This Classics Illustrated # 75 comic book is my very first golden age comic purchase and it is the oldest comic book in my collection. I paid $5 for it at a flea market when I was in Nashville, TN yesterday. By far, it is not the best of conditions but for a comic that is almost 67 years old, that is to be expected.

I also bought this silver age comic book yesterday at a used book store while I was out of town:

DSCI1399.JPG

It is "Outlaws of the West" # 13 comic book. It was published by Charlton Comics Group in December 1957. I paid 50 cents for it. Not in the greatest of condition but I got it for cheap which I believe it is the lowest price that I paid for a silver age comic book. Depending on condition and the significance of a particular title, a lot of golden age and silver age comic can easily cost from $40 to many thousands of dollars per comic.

Those two above comic books are examples of a different kind of comic book from the usual comic books that I have been buying as of late. I really do not plan to read them since I prefer to preserve the condition that they are currently in. I also do not plan to buy a bunch of golden age and silver age comic books unless I can get them for less than $10 per comic and I like the title, storyline and artwork. My main comic book focus is on 1980's and early to mid 1990's comic books (mainly Superman, Batman and Spider-Man to name a few main super hero characters).

Mr Paradise likes this.
  25. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    As of today (2:31 PM EST Friday, September 1, 2017, I have a total of 1,586 comic books in my collection. In addition, I have a total of 13 comic trade paperbacks. This is going very well IMO and most of them I was able to get for $1 or less each. Yep I love this hobby too just like my '70's silver art bar hobby.

26. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    As of today (9-6-2017), I officially have over 2000 comic books in my collection. I have a total of 2,006 comic books. In addition, I have 16 trade paperbacks. I truly enjoy this hobby and I am glad that I came back to the comic book hobby.

I am in the process of updating my comic book wish list and I am in the process of organizing my comic book collection.

Edit: I actually have 16 trade paperbacks not 14 trade paperbacks that I originally posted.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  27. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    One comic book title that I read and collected when I was younger but I do not collect now is Fantastic Four. That particular comic book titled fell out of favor for me when I returned to the comic book hobby 2 months ago. The only time that I will have any Fantastic Four-related comics will be if Spider-Man is in any of them. For example, some of the Marvel Team-Up comic book titles might have Spider-Man and Fantastic Four battling some sort of enemy.

My top 5 Comic book superheroes are the following:

1. ) Spider-Man

2.) Superman

3.) X-Men

4.) Power-Man & Iron Fist

5.) Captain America

The Spider-Man comic books that I have in my collection accounts for about 25% of my collection at this point. I think that I will be able to surpass 2500 comic books. The 2500 comic book figure that I am referring to was the number of comic books that I had during my heyday of comic book collecting when I was in my early 20's before I gave it up in 1996 and got rid of everything back then. My goal is to have at least 3000 comic books by December 31, 2017. I am currently still in the process of organizing my collection and I am making a new list of comic book issues that I am looking to buy.

28. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    As of September 15, 2017 (yesterday), I have officially accumulated a total of 2,575 comic books since returning to the comic book hobby 2 months ago after a 20-year hiatus. The 2,575 comic books that I currently have in my collection surpassed the total number of comic books that I accumulated during the first time that I was collecting them during the mid-1980's to 1996 period (2,500 during that time period). In addition to the 2,575 comic books, I also have a total of 17 trade paperbacks. The main factor that helped me build my collection faster this time around was the fact that a majority of the comic books that I bought I paid between 25 cents to $1 per comic. There were a few comic books that I paid as little as 10 cents per comic book. The income from my ebay side business of selling '70's silver art bars and collectible silver coins provided a vast majority of the funding to help me build up my collection without having to spend a lot of my regular full-time job paycheck on them. Most of the comic books purchases during the 2 months up to this point have been from used book stores and from "media stores". These type of places usually sell comics for lower prices than regular comic shops.

My goal is to have at least 3,000 comic books in my collection by December 31, 2017. That is doable IMO but it will be more difficult because my comic book wish list is much shorter now than it was two months ago. I am in the process of making another new comic book wish list and I am organizing my collection. Some comic book titles that I collected during the 1980's and 1990, fell out of flavor for me (For example, Fantastic Four) when I returned to the hobby and I do not buy them, however, there are several comic book titles (mainly independent titles), that did not exist during the 1980's and 1990's that exist now and I have a strong interest in reading and I started buying them.

Overall, I am happy with how my comic book collection is progressing. It gives me a lot of reading to do when I just want to be at home. That is the main point of buying them and the fact that I missed reading them was the reason for returning to the comic book hobby after being away from it for 20 years.

29. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    As of September 26, 2017, I have 3,010 comics in my collection.

EDIT: I accomplished my 3000-comic book goal much quicker than expected and I still have a list of back issue comic books still on my wishlist. This is the most number of comic books that I have. At the peak of my comic book collecting in the 1980's and 1990's, I never had 3000+ comic book collection.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  30. CrimsonGuardJay

CrimsonGuardJay Silver Member Silver Miner

Quality over quantity, chief... you can't possibly have the time to read all those.

31. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Dang you went whole hog on collecting comics didnt you, at least its cheaper than 2006 art bars would be.

32. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Yeah I did go whole hog into this hobby. I could not help myself. Achieving a comic book collection of 3000+ comic books (3,010 comic books in my collection as of 9-26-2017) is an accomplishment that I am proud of. When I bought that 1st comic book since coming back to the comic book hobby, it felt good. It felt like old times. Reading them makes my relax. A lot of the comic books that I bought were less than $1 per comic. There were a bunch of comic books that I bought for only 25 cents per comic. I am good at shopping around for most comic books. Knowing the places to go to get them for cheap helped me build my collection of 3000+ comic book in only 2 months. I shop for comic books the same way that I look for '70's silver art bars and that is to buy them for as low a price as possible.

I will say that 1970's silver art bars is also still my hobby and I still buy those. I love the comic book hobby nearly as much as I do 1970's silver art bar hobby. However, I did start to slow down my comic book purchases since my back issue comic book wish list is a lot smaller now. I plan to buy certain new issue comic books that come out each month since there are certain superheroes (ex: Spider-Man, Luke Cage, Superman, etc) that are my favorite super hero characters. I will still buy some independent comic book titles that are interesting to me.

Comic book reading/collecting was THE HOBBY for me and that hobby defined me as a younger person well before I got into '70's silver art bar collecting. When I returned to the comic book hobby 2 months ago, I felt that I got back into what originally defined me as a person.

33. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I agree with that to an extent, however, I did buy some very good condition "quality" comic books for a decent price. I am not into a rush to read all of them. I will read them at my own pace and I will admit that it gives me a lot to read. I like having a lot of comic book options to have. Even though I love Spider-Man comic books, I might be in the mood to read, for example, X-Men. The more options the better IMO.

34. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Unh heh
    Comic Books.jpg
    BF

Alton, Mr Paradise and Silver Art like this.
  35. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Have you ever gone to a comiccon?

36. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor

I have not been to a comic con yet but I plan to go to one. I think that there is one in Chattanooga, TN and one in Atlanta, GA but I do not know when they are held. I will have to look that up online. I plan to go to some comic book shows in the future. I would enjoy those types of events.

southfork likes this.
  37. Bottom Feeder

I've been to the Seattle one a couple times. Last went three years ago.
    Really makes you feel like an old fart.
    And I didn't dress up like a lot of 'em do.

BF

southfork and Silver Art like this.
  38. TomD

TomD It blowed up, y'all Platinum Bling

construction, engineering
    S. Clay Wilson isn't quite as presentable as some of the others shown here but he was popular in the day. This is the most presentable page I could find of his work, they go downhill from here, way downhill.

DSC0516.jpg

Bottom Feeder likes this.
  39. 90%RealMoney

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  40. Bottom Feeder

Pretty good example of ole S Clay, there, Tom

BF