1. Stocks continue to roll off recent highs, while metals catch a bid
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Thu Morning! Gold is up 6.6 to 1252, and Silver is up 17 to 16.55. Crude is up 26 to 4279. The USD is flat at 9721
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/10/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1271.40-- DOWN 8.80 Silver $17.22-- DOWN 30 Oil $45.83-- DOWN 1.83 USD $97.01 -- UP 37 TICS
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Daguerreotype images and those of other early processes

Discussion in 'Real Estate & Other Investments' started by Hystckndle, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    ANDREW JACKSON BRADY.jpg Portrait-Jackson.jpg For Krag::bowdown:

Mr Jackson; I presume....here are two of the siblings of your fine image:

http://www.whitehousehistory.org/history/documents/White-House-History-16-Krainik-Portraits.pdf

Andrew Jackson
    Though feeble and reluctant, the formerly fiery
    President Andrew Jackson faced the camera on his
    deathbed. The only known photographs of President
    Jackson were taken at his plantation, The Hermitage,
    near Nashville, Tennessee, just a few months before his
    death in June 1845. At least four distinct daguerreotype
    24 WHITE HOUSE HISTORY (Number 16)
    LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
    One of only four known daguerreotypes of former
    President Andrew Jackson, this image was taken
    on April 15, 1845, shortly before his death at The
    Hermitage near Nashville, Tennessee.
    portraits of the 78-year-old general were secured at the
    sitting, but considerable controversy surrounds the identity
    of the photographer. Mathew Brady and Edward
    Anthony, both from New York City, the Langenheim
    brothers of Philadelphia, and local Nashville photographer
    Dan Adams have all been given credit or laid claim
    to the distinction of taking Jackson’s daguerreotype. One
    eyewitness account of Jackson’s photographic sitting
    reported, “He was much opposed to having it [the photograph]
    taken and was very feeble at the time.”4 The
    photographic portraits show President Jackson attired in
    a dark formal coat with black tie and a turned-up white
    collar. His full shock of white hair and worn and weary
    countenance tell of a lengthy lifetime filled with personal,
    military, and political conflict. In one portrait Jackson
    wears spectacles and averts his gaze downward, away
    from the camera. Two of the images are in profile, and
    in these we can clearly see the pillows used to prop up
    the subject. A fourth likeness depicts President Jackson
    sitting erect, though again he directs his view off to the
    side. His head seems precariously perched on his body.
    It is this likeness that was selected for an engraving entitled
    “Andrew Jackson in His Last Days, Hermitage,
    April 15, 1845.” Presently there are only four known
    daguerreotypes of Andrew Jackson.5

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  2. Krag

Krag Planet earth Platinum Bling

Here is a fun fact: Which US Senator was twice offered the vice-Presidency, and refused both times, and had he accepted either appointment, he would have likely become President as both Presidents died in office?

3. Hystckndle

FRANKLIN PIERCE-2.jpg franklin pierce-1.jpg Mr Pierce:

Krag likes this.
  4. Hystckndle

Here is an interesting auction about a Pierce item found in an Estate....pretty cool...
    Reminds me of the movie " National Treasure" when Nick Cage went off about that young ladys' campaign button collection....LOL...that was awesome...

http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?Auction=203&ItemNo=99735

Winning Bid: $13,486.16 (includes 15% Buyer's Premium)
    Bids: 5
    Bidding Ended: June 22, 2011 at 1:00 AM EDT
    Auction: Auction #203 - Part I
    Item numbers 1 through 1428 in auction 203
    Item Description
    This is an object of major importance and rarity in the historical development of presidential campaign items designed to be worn. This Pierce was previously unknown in the hobby and is a perfect match to two known examples for his opponent Winfield Scott. Created between the Democratic convention in Baltimore that nominated Pierce on the 49th ballot in June, 1852 and the election in November, 1852, this and the matching Scott are the earliest known items to feature a photographically created image of the candidate along with the words "FOR PRESIDENT." There are a few known daguerreotype images of Clay, Taylor, Cass, Pierce and Scott, all presidential candidates, but nearly all the others are in hinged cases, not designed to be worn and with only two 1848 Taylor and Cass exceptions that carry their names but not the words "For President." For example, a Pierce 1/6 plate daguerreotype in a case realized $15,525 in a 2003 Heritage auction. This Pierce and the matching Scott, has a tiny 1/16" hole at the top of the oval indicating it was meant to be worn on a ribbon around the neck. From eight years later, there are also holed examples to be worn with a ribbon of the famous similar size oval 1860 Abraham Lincoln ambrotype by George Clark of Boston. This Pierce has the overall impressive large oval size of 2-1/8" wide by 2-9/16" tall. The oval is 3/16" thick with a reddish brown cardboard backing. Six of the 24 folded brass tabs that hold the pieces together have lost their luster and show traces of verdigris. One tab has a crease line while the others do not. We feel this crease occurred in the original assembly as there is no evidence on the other 23 tabs that they have ever been opened since 1852. These tabs are very similar to those on the 1860 Lincoln and matching Douglas 2.5" tall ambrotypes, but the end of each tab on the Pierce is a bit more blunt while the 1860 style is more rounded. The cardboard back has a couple of .25" scratches on the surface and a shallow 1/8" long slightly deeper cut but these marks are all very minor traces of wear. The front of the oval consists of the outer 1/8" wide rim (joined to the tabs on the reverse) with flower and leaf designs alternating over a ribbed pattern background. Next is the slightly recessed brass luster metal plate .5" wide with oval opening at its center. The individual letters are 1/8" tall forming an upper arc reading "FOR PRESIDENT" and a lower arc reading "GEN. FRANK PIERCE." The use of a nickname (Frank instead of Franklin) on a campaign item of this age is very unusual. Presumably, this was intentional to create a more familiar and friendly presidential candidate. There is a narrow band of verdigris on the rim and outer edge of the oval plate from 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock plus scattered additional luster dots gone from the oval plate, although well over 50% luster remains on both the rim and oval plate. The oval cut-out at the plate's center has a thin beveled interior edge surrounding the very slightly recessed glass sheet over the daguerreotype seen in an 1" wide by 1.25" tall opening. The glass has a virtual pinpoint and very shallow surface nick positioned over Pierce's mouth at far right. The overall size of the daguerreotype is likely a 1/16 plate measuring 1-3/8x1-5/8". The daguerreotype's surface has some irregular lines of quite light brownish tarnish on the background, but other than one line touching his shoulder, none of these lines overlap his image. There is an arc of much darker tarnish at the very top of the daguerreotype's visible area. The photographic image of Pierce shows some very tiny lighter color accent lines on the cloth wrap around his neck and throughout his wavy and uniquely styled hair. Likely, although the facial details are remarkably life-like, this indicates the daguerreotype image was copied from a print or another daguerreotype that the photographer hand touched on the hair and fabric, a common practice among daguerreotype photographers. Pierce was 47 years old during the campaign and 48 years old when inaugurated in March 1853, the youngest president up to that time. However, the image on this daguerreotype shows Pierce looking very youthful and younger than the many images of him on Google which include prints, paintings and a few daguerreotypes. We believe the image on this item is previously unknown and possibly the earliest dating from the early 1840's taken perhaps during or shortly after 1842 when he resigned his term as US Senator from New Hampshire and returned to his home to practice law. Although showing very little without magnification, under the glass are many essentially microscopic fibers originating from some unknown material used as a spacer on the interior between the metal front plate and the reverse cardboard backing. A purchaser may want to have this item examined by a professional conservator of daguerreotype photos. While barely noticeable to the naked eye, the microscopic fibers could be removed thus adding clarity when the image is viewed with magnification. There is also a slim chance of finding a plate manufacturer's name and/or date on the reverse of the plate. This remarkable presidential campaign item was recently discovered in Pierce's home state of New Hampshire. It was in the cellar of a home in a box containing letters of a woman named Sally York Horne Fernald (1818-1894) whose only son, coincidentally, was born in 1852, the year this piece was created for Pierce's presidential campaign. The consignor is a family descendant. In researching the piece, he sent photos to the Director of the New Hampshire Historical Society. The Director stated the image was previously unknown to the society and unique in his experience, as it is in ours. The Daguerreian Society website shows one Pierce in military uniform daguerreotype but no presidential candidate daguerreotype image designed to be worn for any candidate. Here is a special opportunity to own a presidential campaign artifact of major historical importance and of extreme rarity. (N - $10000 to $20000)

Attached Files:

Krag likes this.
  5. Hystckndle

Yer teasing me !????:cheerful: LOL
    I give up.
    I'm trying to figure out how many times Pierce sat for a daguerreotype...:beer1:

6. Krag

Krag Planet earth Platinum Bling

Daniel Webster.

120808_daniel_webster_ap_400_605.jpg

7. Cornelius

Cornelius Gold Member Gold Chaser

The 3D photo is very cool (in post 108). GREAT THREAD. Thanks.

8. Hystckndle

tumblr_n6eswnDAeF1qa51rdo1_500.jpeg Thanks Cornelius, yup....I got some stuff for you then , next coupla days....hang tight...:beer1:

HEY ASTRO !!!.....WHO LUVS YA BABY !!!!!! :cheerful:

astrodiver likes this.
  9. Hystckndle

2014-09-24-21-16-31--271663841.jpeg 2014-09-24-21-17-05--166075235.jpeg taylorzz-1.jpeg Zachary-cabinet.jpeg Zachary Taylor,
    ( and even his cabinet , nuttin like msm !!! To promote your party..seriously though, engravings made from images such as this wew published in many newspapers )
    Will post some images,
    I have some narrative stuff somewheres,
    Just gotta get to it.....will hafta come back to this post....

Krag likes this.
  10. Hystckndle

Fillmore:

Attached Files:

11. Hystckndle

Daguerreotype-walker1848-54.jpg Way up top, post 32 or so,
    That one is in my humble collection....
    Check this one out, I would bet if not from the same studio,
    Then perhaps a colleague, or a student made this image,
    Darn it, this one is nice

REO 54 likes this.
  12. Cornelius

Great !! I will look forward to it. :)

13. Hystckndle

images.jpeg stereo.jpeg 30-01.jpeg EPUB001026.jpeg Hey there Cornelius,
    My gosh man...you said the magic word !!!!
    " 3 D " :) :cheers:
    I had meant to before but have been remiss about posting some " stereo daguerreotypes "
    Good stuff man !
    I will, from my mobile device here, post a few stereo viewers and some stereo daguerreotypes....
    In fact, let me say that the " erotic " genre of daguerreotypes was most prevelant in the stereo format.
    I have censored some of the images I have copies of and will only post the most tame here.
    Regards big C, and thanks ! for bringing that up...

REO 54 and pitw like this.
  14. Hystckndle

Daguerreotype_stereo_2013.jpg 4155_std.jpeg 27047_std.jpeg 112779.jpeg 10 pieces o eight, pay the post character toll....
    ( btw, these are circa 1850 or 1855 or so , think about that :vollkommenauf: )

15. Hystckndle

Hello jrog !,
    For you my friend...in living...err...post mortem silver...:cheerful::thumbs_up::fisheye:

Attached Files:

16. Hystckndle

images-9.jpeg images-8.jpeg images-6.jpeg images-5.jpeg images-4.jpeg images-1.jpeg ..........
    Not my bag, but posted here for reference.
    These images were near and dear to the families and were prized possessions.
    The family graveyard of my great grandfather has more than a few headstones that say " suddenly " or " yellow fever " and " infant ".
    As much as I hate plastic everything in this world... we have no clue how much we take for granted in this day and age..
    Sorry to carry on.

pitw likes this.
  17. Cornelius

Thank you very much Haystack.... I didn't realize that the 3D photos started near the beginning of "photography".

Thankfully, I have learned how to adjust my eyes, within a few seconds, to view the images in three-D without a gadget.

How is it, that color photos were taken that long ago? Do you know about that, Haystack?

18. Hystckndle

The color was done by " tinting ". And was applied AFTER the image was processed.
    Wayyyy up top of this page there are a few videos of how it ( processing ) was done and I dont know if they go over that in detail.
    There are still , in museums and private collections, kits, kind of like little water color kits, of various tints and tones that would be applied to the variois parts of somd of the images and then heated slightly and rinsed etc depending on the " taste " of the artist, or the customer too i suppose.
    I have seen some very delicate ones like directly above and a few really thick ones, one posted above in middle of this page.
    Seems kinda like modern " paint by number " we all have done only different.
    The vast majority .....95% or more of images are NOT tinted but are gilded or toned so the " black and white " so to speak would be " gold and silverish " from the get go.
    The tinted ones on this thread are quite special and magnificent in their artistry and are the .1% of the history imo.
    Seems that the tinting was quite the specialization inside the already difficult and tedious process.
    That being said, come to find out, ( your are gonna like this cuz its like counterfit gold and silver )
    There are a few guys who published catalogs of their works in the 90s, thats 1990s, who would " embelish " the coloring of their more " erotic images for the book. True it is.
    Pissed me of when I found out about it. Tactic was ? . Desirability ?
    For me it took away from everything
    I guess this guy ( I corresponded ) with him in europe b4 the internet would be considered vogue in hollywood in todays weird colored movies.
    Some of them are totally UNLIKE the colors you see outside in nature etc.
    At the same time I found this out I found out that the sound mixers for the new digital recordings " embellished " crescendos for the Berlin Philharmonic and other world renowned orchestras.
    Anyways, I am just beating this little phone keyboard away ....bottom line, color was " applied " not inherent to the process as with Kodachrome,
    There were a few people though who " claimed " to have invested " color " photography, for the process but much of their work, although written about, does not exist.
    Back later, 2.a.m, not sleeping, guess I will take the nervous chihuahua for a walk.
    Regards, thanks for the reply,

19. Argentium

Argentium Midas Member Midas Member

astrodiver and Hystckndle like this.
  20. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Thank you for the early Kardashian 3D images in post #138. She has held up well since the 1850s.

Thanks for all the images. Great stuff as usual.

Hystckndle likes this.
  21. Hystckndle

Yo !,Thanks Arg !
    I will certainly check out the link you have kindly provided.
    If my pea brain is firing correctly, I believe the 1st images taken were by a chap
    named Dr Wiliam Draper who along with Cornelius and Morse shaped the early years of the craft in this country.
    I do not remember if I have posted an image of the moon by Draper above but I will remedy that if not.
    Mobile device. PIA to type, talk later, thanks agin A.
    Regards,

22. Hystckndle

D14-270.jpg HMRF.jpg D08-118.jpg Cannot get the astronomical images to post.
    Will remedy.
    In the meantime...

gringott likes this.
  23. Hystckndle

24. Hystckndle

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iSBFrPWPS80[/video]

The silver gelatin print process.
    Precious metals, industrial metals, where would we be without them ?

25. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

CCI11302014_0000.jpg Hey Stack,
    I bought this off Ebay a few years back for 5 bucks I think. I was wanting to start finding old logging images, and never continued after getting this one. Your thread brought it all back!

gringott and Hystckndle like this.
  26. Hystckndle

http://albumen.conservation-us.org/library/c20/reilly1980.html

Hey there 90% !,
    Thats a pretty cool print.
    I Would think it is an albumen, egg white and silver particle mix,
    Henry Fox Talbot invented a process just b4 that almost the same time dags got going strong.
    And it morphed into the albumin which , al9ng with other processes, rendered the dag obsolete.
    That is a fine image which I am fond of as it portrays one of my fav genres
    which is occupation als.
    Pertty cool find and a good price.
    Interesting to me the quality dif is obvious but just like todays world with everything quality becomes an asside with the lure of mass production.
    More to say, but middle of night, back later as this mobile device typing pad is small.
    Thanks for the scan 90% That is awesome.
    Regards,

27. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

Hes gotta be steven segals grandpa !

261493-steven-seagal-bientot-en-tournage-de-637x0-3.jpg

28. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

Hystckndle likes this.
  29. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Haystack.............as per your request. Have a great day :beerglass:

John Coffer-The Tintype Recaptured & Daily Tintype

[video=youtube_share;Jh8RDEQ3l2I]http://youtu.be/Jh8RDEQ3l2I[/video]

http://youtu.be/Jh8RDEQ3l2I

Uploaded on Mar 7, 2011

John Coffer-The Tintype Recaptured & Daily Tintype
    Video by Cristiano Mendes & Gerald Peter's Gallery
    http://johncoffer.com/

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    Hystckndle likes this.
  30. Hystckndle

Searcher sent me the above short video.
    The gentleman in the vid is the real deaI.
    Silver has really enhanced oir lives.
    Thanks to Search for sending me this.

searcher likes this.
  31. Hystckndle

Test post for video. Subject matter, op

[video]https://youtu.be/0op6lFPxqrQ[/video]

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0op6lFPxqrQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

http://youtu.be/0op6lFPxqrQ

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
    astrodiver likes this.
  32. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Haystack

Problem = Vids didn't post as vids just links

Had been copying directly from the "share" box below the vid and pasting into the "film" box. For some reason that stopped working. Screwed around on the vbulletin community forum (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...embedded-video) and decided to try copying from the address box. Seems to be working pretty good.

Just want to thank both you and Scorp for your time and effort. Thanks..................................:beerglass ::beerglass::beerglass: Enjoy your day.

Search

Hystckndle likes this.
  33. Hystckndle

Hey Goldzilla, so check it out,
    Revisiting this thread reminded me,
    Most all dag images are laterally reversed.
    Which means that if you reversed either Segal or Filmeister....its the same guy !!!!!
    Rotflmao

Search, got ur com. Thanks.
    All good, battery near dead so gotta jet.
    Regards,

GOLDZILLA likes this.
  34. Hystckndle

CAW-975.jpg $_3-1.jpeg
    Been pretty busy lately,
    Have not scored any images on ebay or scoping out some shops or sites,
    Instead, paid some homage to the tax gods ,
    Saw some cool images though...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    searcher and argentos like this.
  35. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

thanks for resurrecting this Hystck,

this too is another form of alternative investment, perfect for this forum,

surely we have members who collect other things that not only provide them satisfaction, but also are investments

Hystckndle likes this.
  36. Hystckndle

$_3-10.jpeg $_3-9.jpg Some Ebay action.
    1st week or so of the new school year.People are a bit distracted.
    Deals can be had. Same as bids ending at odd hours of the day or night.
    Some " snipes " , a program I learned of from a fellow Gimer cptnsolo.
    Always indebted, sir.

gringott likes this.
  37. Hystckndle

$_3-6.jpeg $_3-5.jpg $_3-7.jpg $_3-8.jpeg Marcus Allen Root
    A studio in New York and one of the best masters of the craft.
    Marked cases, known photographers, always bring a premium.
    This one I have no clue how I snagged it other than using an old photography adage
    " F8 AND BE THERE "
    A lot to be said for that. Just showing up in life can be very rewarding.

gringott likes this.
  38. Hystckndle

$_1-5.jpeg An outdoor scene.
    A rare item considering the complexity of the process.
    I will send this one off for some restoration.
    The ugly dirty glass can be deceiving.
    It scares off many.
    I will repost this image , here , front and back again after restoration.
    Take a gamble in life , study first of course, go with your gut, you will not fail.

pitw likes this.
  39. Hystckndle

EEW-326.jpg ..........

gringott and pitw like this.
  40. Hystckndle

D14-245.jpg I bought some tickets to the annual symposium.
    Pasadena California this year,
    Aa reception at the JPaul Getty museum and a special ehibition there.
    Will endeavor to update thread.....

Gold miner with liquid......or dust ????

searcher likes this.