1. kenyan care remains, no vote. Libtards and msm declare massive victory.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have a great weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/25/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1248.50-- UP 18.30 Silver $17.75-- UP 34 Oil $47.97-- DOWN 134 TICS USD $99.42 -- DOWN 66 tics

Do Old PCs & CRT Monitors Use A Lot Of Power?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by searcher, Mar 12, 2016.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Do old PCs & CRT monitors use a lot of power?
    vwestlife

Published on Mar 12, 2016
    Answering a comment I sometimes get saying that old computers and CRT monitors must use a lot of power. Do they really, compared to a modern Energy Star-rated PC and LCD monitor?

2. tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1 Silver Member Silver Miner

I'm reluctantly judging this video to be highly misleading. I'm reluctant because it's supporting the idea that it's ok to keep using an older computer. The microsoft, intel, etc. propaganda has been very successful at intimidating the general public that it's almost criminal to keep using a perfectly good machine with xp on it. (I've been told that I'm compromising everybody on the Internet by continuing to use xp). The specific comparison in the video, however, is laughable. In 6 minutes of video it shows that the older machine with an 8 mHz CPU and 640 mB of memory uses about the same amount of wall socket power as the newer machine with a 3.33 gHz cpu and 4 gB of memory. If one were to judge processing power by the CPU clock speed (I know it's not that simple, this is just a quick hack comparison), the older computer uses more power by a factor of 416. Making the same comparison using memory size, the older computer uses more power by a factor 6.25. The older computer has a 40 mB hard disk. A one tB disc, common today and "probably" uses less power, is larger by a factor of 25. The one valid point he makes is about the newer desktop machines drawing a few watts of power even when shut off. This is why mine has a switch between the wall socket and computer to really shut it off.

searcher and gringott like this.
  3. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    I'm going to have to get one of those meters, I have been meaning to for years, but keep putting it off. A co-worker was given an old fridge, I warned him on power usage, he got one of those and found out it was better to get a new one financially.

searcher likes this.
  4. tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1 Silver Member Silver Miner

The kill-a-watt is a great tool, and it's pretty accurate, too. They're readily available under $25, and occasionally reduced to about $20, including shipping.

searcher and gringott like this.