1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Driverless Cars / Trucks

Discussion in 'Auto, Tractor, Motorcycles, Racing, and Mechanics' started by searcher, Aug 30, 2016.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

2. searcher

3. searcher

4. searcher

Driving Smart: Self-Driving Cars Are Coming, But the Technology Is Already Here
    Cars.com

Published on Sep 6, 2016
    Self-driving cars are coming — and to some degree they're already here. You may not realize it, but there's a good chance the car sitting in your driveway right now has much of the necessary autonomous technology. Joe Wiesenfelder of Cars.com shows you how it all works in this week's edition of "Driving Smart."

5. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

They can have my steering wheel when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

mayhem, gringott and searcher like this.
  6. searcher

Motorist in Tesla self-driving vehicle is killed when it smashes into a tree at 100mph in Holland - but the company insist he had not switched on auto-pilot function
    • Motorist in Holland is killed when his self-driving car crashes into a tree
    • It is the second fatal incident involving a Model S Tesla self-driving vehicle
    • However, Tesla insist auto-pilot was not switched on at time of the crash

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3779699/Motorist-Tesla-self-driving-vehicle-killed-smashes-tree-100mph-Holland-company-insist-not-switched-auto-pilot-function.html#ixzz4JgAyDYg6
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

7. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

That was driver error. Tesla auto pilot doesn't work @100mph.

I kinda like the idea of fully autonomous self driving cars, if they're done right, but what will that mean for the future of exotic cars? Who would want a self driving Ferrari or Lambo or other car similar to those?
    Or do we end up with self driving cars for the masses, and owner driven for only those with the $ for it?
    ...but at some point if self driving cars become ubiquitous, I could see a day where actually driving a car on the public easement might be against the law.

blWFx.gif

8. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Knowing what I know about traffic safety I don't trust the technology to account and respond to every contingency. All vehicles would need to be automated for it to be mostly safe, but something like a blowout or reckless driver would throw the algos into chaos.

mayhem likes this.
  9. Joe King

Knowing what you know about traffic safety, do you really trust human drivers to account for and respond to every contingency? They currently do not.
    The question is, are more people killed due to driver error? How many people driving cars like Tesla model S have not been killed because the technology performed better than a driver would have in a particular circumstance?

10. searcher

One thing that bothers me.....................hackers. Not a pleasant thought.

mayhem and Usury like this.
  11. searcher

12. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I've always wondered the following about autonomous vehicles:

If you are a drunk passenger in an self-driving car is that still considered DWU/DUI? The passenger is not operating the vehicle but the passenger did initiate the vehicle's operation. Legally drunk people have been arrested and convicted of starting up a car to stay warm in a parking lot without ever moving the vehicle because the state has deemed that action to be operation of a motor vehicle.

If an autonomous vehicle self parks in no parking zone or overstays the time limit for parking, who gets the ticket? The owner or the software manufacturer?

If an autonomous vehicle detects it is about to be towed and decides to drive away is that evasion? Lots of municipalities make lots of money on stringent parking enforcement. I don't see them tolerating a autonomous vehicle dodging their system for very long. I doubt these jurisdictions will even tolerate autonomous cars moving from space to space to reset the parking clock either.

If an autonomous vehicle keeps circling the block because there are no parking spaces available is that loitering or in violation of anti-idling regulations a lot of big cities have on the books? While technically not idling because the vehicle is moving i doubt many jurisdictions will put up with circling cars and use environmental reasons as a cover.

Can an autonomous vehicle legally bring itself in for a state safety inspection? Who would the government workers be rude to if this was allowed?

Many states have laws against operating vehicles in hazardous conditions (thick fog, very heavy rain, blizzards, etc.) but those laws are written for humans what would be the threshold or tolerance level of a hazardous condition for an autonomous vehicle?

13. searcher

You made me smile with this......................:beer:

Have you ever worked in law enforcement?

mayhem likes this.
  14. oldgaranddad

Nope! I am a computer systems engineer.

15. searcher

:beer:

16. searcher

17. Joe King

You bring up good questions that will need to be worked if we want truly self-driving cars.
    ...but here's my opinion on your wonderings.

How would that be any different than a drunk person summoning a ride from anyone else?
    Is it ok for you to call a friend to pick you up after a night of heavy drinking? Then it should be just fine to call your car to come get you, too.
    As long as the drunk person could not actually operate the vehicle, I have a hard time seeing how an auto-driving car would not save lives in this type of circumstance. After all, if the car is permitted to go somewhere on its own, what difference should it make if there is an incapacitated person in the car too?

IMHO, it will will not be possible for that to happen as the car will "know" how long it can park in any given spot.
    With RFID chips in all road signs/traffic control devices that are readable by any car in the area, it should be impossible for auto-driving cars to violate traffic laws.
    Ie: no mo' traffic cops. They would be freed up to work real crimes.

I'm sure that if self-driving cars ever become ubiquitous, the code will be written to allow for the disabling of any car subject to towing or being stopped by the authorities. Ie: no more po-po chases. When they want you, they'll just over-ride the cars controls and direct it to pull over at the nearest safe spot to do so. Or have it lock the doors and drive itself to the nearest po-po station.
    As for parking, all ya gotta do is charge by the minute for parking. The only real reason we need time limits on parking in some locations is to accommodate other people, because as it is now, everyone wants to be able to park as close to their destinations as possible.

Why would it need to circle the block when it could just drive anywhere it needs to in order to find a parking spot? With a self-driving car, you'll always get curb service. The car can then go find its own parking spot a half mile away, or even further, if necessary. If you tell it how long you'll be, it'll be able to calculate how far it can go to find a parking spot.

I wouldn't see why not. As long as there existed a means of payment, what would be the problem? The only reason you might want to be there with your car is in order to make sure they don't rip you off.

I'm sure it'll take longer to have self-driving cars that can handle all weather conditions, and until such time as they can, Id bet that true self driving cars won't exist. They will still require a competent person ready to take control. If that's the case, then it'll be quite a while before we'll be able to go out drinking and have our car drive us home.

One really good thing that I think self-driving cars will result in is the ability for all cars at a light to start moving all at the same time, thereby allowing many more cars to get through the light. That would save everyone lots of time.
    Or, it's possible that traffic lights could be done away with entirely. If the cars are all in communication with each other, they can all navigate through intersections with none of them ever having to come to a stop. They all regulate their speed to pass in front of or behind each other.

18. oldgaranddad

Joe King,

Some good points there.

Just like municipalities pushing down the timing of yellow lights to the bare minimum at red light camera intersections? I am sure some money grubbing municipality will gleefully deploy some old truck with an RF spewing broken alternator that would interfere with RFID signals thus creating "violations" since the autonomous vehicles were unable to read such tags. Or worse yet, never replace (or very slowly replace) zapped RFID tags from vandals or so-called lightening strikes on signs and devices.

Each technology opens up a new Pandora's box of possibilities.

mayhem likes this.
  19. Joe King

True, that could happen, but it may not even be done with RFID. All the "rules" might just be programmed into the map data so that speed limits and all that jazz would be automatically known. Ie: you wouldn't need signs, traffic lights, or any other real-World maintenance-requiring traffic control device. The data is already in your map of all the roads and all the rules. Your cars computer would maintain that data and it would be constantly updated via the internet. (or some other network that hasn't been invented yet)
    In fact, your car might be incapable of breaking a traffic law. Ie: no more traffic cops running speed on hiding behind bushes waiting for some unsuspecting person who's running late for work.

Lane closures or other reasons to re-route traffic could be added to the data in real time on location and it would then propagate throughout the system. All cars could even share map data, so that way if there were a sudden problem at a particular locale, as cars approached they'd get the new data and transmit it to cars behind them, etc etc etc.

If they do it right, a system of fully self driving cars would be pretty cool.
    ...but I'm pretty much counting on them not doing it right and f'ing it all up.

mayhem likes this.
  20. oldgaranddad

I hope you are correct but then again they said the Google car was incapable of having an "at fault" accident until it sideswiped that bus.

Knowing how some people maintain their cars today do you think I'd want their corrupted data (unintentionally or intentionally?)

21. Joe King

That's why it's still in a testing phase. It'll take time for them to work out the algorithms.
    ...and the real issue is not that self driving cars will NEVER have an at-fault accident, but rather the incidence of them will be far lower on a per-mile basis when compared to humans driving the same number of miles.
    Self driving cars would end up saving most of the 30,000+ that currently die at the hands of human drivers. Driving is one of the most dangerous things the average person does on a regular basis.

It's very possible that actually owning a car will become a relic of the past. Think subscription service based upon how often you need a car and how nice of a car you want to ride in.
    If you could pay a fee that's less than a monthly payment and have the kind of car you like, ready and waiting right when you need it, would that be a bad thing? It'd always be maintained by the company you subscribe to and arrive at your location in tip top shape.

22. searcher

23. searcher

Now that would be a pisser..............:beer:

:beer:

24. searcher

Lyft boss says most of its fleet will be self-driving within FIVE YEARS
    • A majority of ride-hailing company Lyft's rides will be in self-driving cars, the company's co-founder and president John Zimmer predicted
    • He made the predictions in an essay on the future of transportation in urban areas
    • Technology, auto and ride-hailing companies are moving quickly toward self-driving vehicles

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3795540/Exec-Most-Lyft-rides-autonomous-cars-5-years.html#ixzz4KhQi1uNK
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

25. searcher

26. Usury

Yeah right...car pulls up with no driver...I do not get in.

27. searcher

28. searcher

29. searcher

30. searcher

Would you consider Johnny Cab?

gringott and Usury like this.
  31. oldgaranddad

I agree. I wonder how soon after autonomous cars are adopted does the first remote kidnapping occur? If Iran can spoof a US surveillance drone to land at one of its airbases what is to say some nefarious group spoofs an autonomous car to take a person against their will to an undisclosed location to be robbed or kidnapped?

32. searcher

Certainly a possibility.

33. Usury

Only as long as I can rip out the robot and manually take control if necessary.

searcher likes this.
  34. searcher

Olli Self Driving Bus by Local Motors We go for a ride! IMTS 2016
    RideswithChuck

Published on Sep 20, 2016
    Local Motors brought their autonomous bus to IMTS 2016 at McCormick Place in Chicago. I spoke with the product development person, Alex Fiechter and PR person Adam Kress.

35. oldgaranddad

Going a bit further down the dark side of the autonomous vehicle technology. Can you imagine narcotics and human smugglers hacking the software of the vehicles to speed and evade police to transport their cargo? Surely a third or fourth production generation version of an autonomous vehicle could be hacked to do such things and out maneuver human law enforcement drivers in pursuit. Plus add the ethical dilemma of said law enforcement trying to stop such autonomous vehicles that may be carrying human cargo.

36. searcher

Robots Park Cars in West Hollywood
    VOA News

Published on Sep 25, 2016
    As most big-city dwellers know, parking in public garages during a busy weekday can be very frustrating. It often seems to take forever to find an empty space... and even more if the space you find is too tight. That's not a problem in West Hollywood, California, if you decide to leave your car in the city's first automated garage. VOA’s George Putic reports.
    Originally published at - http://www.voanews.com/a/3524961.html

37. searcher

38. searcher

39. searcher

40. searcher