1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Electricity Providers Targeted In Massive Hack

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Bottom Feeder, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

A hacker group linked to the Russian government has acquired an unprecedented level of access to companies that supply power to the US power grid, a cybersecurity firm says.

Symantec, a California-based firm that provides cybersecurity services and worldwide research against online threats, says the group, which it’s nicknamed Dragonfly 2.0, may have compromised more than a dozen American companies in recent months.

Dragonfly – also called Crouching Yeti, or Energetic Bear, depending on which researcher you talk to – was an established hacker group that attacked energy sector targets around the world from at least 2011 until 2014, when it went quiet after its tactics were exposed by public research. Researchers at Symantec have declined to specifically cite Russia as the culprit, though they do say it’s a state-sponsored attack. Researchers at other firms, like CrowdStrike and FireEye, have tied Dragonfly to the Russian government.

“This is the first time we’ve seen this scale, this aggressiveness, and this level of penetration in the US, for sure,” Eric Chien, technical director of Symantec’s Security Technology & Response Division, told BuzzFeed News.

“What we’re seeing is them getting into dozens, as far as we know, likely more, of organizations who are basically energy companies. We’re talking about organizations who are supplying power to the power grid,” Chien said.

It’s not uncommon for nation-state hackers to penetrate administrative and business networks of energy companies in the US or elsewhere. But Dragonfly has gained access to multiple operational networks in the US, Symantec says, an unprecedented level of compromise. Previously, such penetrations are known to have happened only in places like Ukraine, where hackers once remotely turned off circuit breakers, leaving nearly a quarter million people without power; Russians are also suspected in that incident, though there’s no evidence the same attackers are behind Dragonfly.

Attributing attacks to Dragonfly hackers has become harder, Chien said, because the group has taken to using publicly available hacker tools, like phishery or Shellter, to do much of their work. Symantec, however, has a high level of confidence that this latest Dragonfly campaign has accessed “dozens” of energy companies in the US, Switzerland, and Turkey.

Particularly worrying, Chien said, is that Dragonfly’s attacks have largely been aimed at gaining high level credentials for operational systems. “Even after you go in and remove all this malware off your networks,” he said, if a company hasn’t changed their login credentials, “they log into the system, then simply remotely control the system.”

“DHS is aware of the report and is reviewing it. At this time there is no indication of a threat to public safety,” DHS spokesperson Scott McConnell told BuzzFeed News.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kevincolli...ource=bbf_enus&utm_term=.rve83B93D#.ejD8NkmNG

So that's why my lites start flickering at odd times.
    We're DOOMED I tell ya DOOMED!!

BF

2. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    The light bulbs are listening devices....

3. bb28

bb28 Silver Member Silver Miner

Idiots shouldn't be connected to the internet in the first place.

bb

D-FENZ, phoneman and Bottom Feeder like this.
  4. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Of course the Russians did it... Sure...

I'm no expert- I can barely post here- but aren't the Russians just basically the default bogeyman for all internet hacking? As I understand it, a real hacker can cover their own tracks and origin as easily as I can mask my real name and sign in here as D-FENZ. Just blaming the Russians every time sells because it sounds plausible. Problem is, it's dangerous and helps stoke another cold war that could go hot. Maybe that's what they want. If they really can trace the source, why don't they just finger that person and knock off the 'Russians did it' crap? If they can't, what the hell good is the NSA with their multi-billion dollar budgets?

Most likely it was actually the NSA itself, but it could also just be a doughy teenager in their parent's Baltimore basement.

Aurumag likes this.
  5. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Lightwave Jockey
    As proven by Wikileaks.

D-FENZ likes this.
  6. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Silver stacker
    Our electric grid is pretty vulnerable.

Russian, Chinese, Islamic or domestic hacker terrorist could cause some real damage.

I believe the Ukrainian grid was attacked in December.