1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

'Fake' Apollo Moon Landing

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Scorpio, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

'Fake' Apollo Moon Landing Photo Claims To Show Proof The Mission Was A Hoax

[​IMG] Harriet Sinclair,Newsweek 4 hours ago

Almost 50 years after man walked on the moon, the “giant leap for mankind” is under the microscope once again – with conspiracy theorists convinced they have proof one of the moon landings was fake.

A picture allegedly taken in December 1972 of the final Apollo 17 moon mission has been shared online, and shows what one YouTuber believes is the reflection of a “stagehand” in the helmet of one of the astronauts.

The photo, uploaded to YouTube this week by a user named Streetcap1 is entitled “Reflection in a Visor,” and Streetcap1 suggests this casts doubt onto whether the 1972 moon landing, in particular, was staged.

“I thought it looked a bit strange, so I took a picture of it using my software,” Streetcap1 told The Daily Mail.

“What we appear to have here is a figure of a human not wearing a spacesuit. There was some dispute back in 2009 of the legitimacy of these photos. Did we make it to the moon? Where's this guy's spacesuit?” he added of the final moon mission, crewed by Eugene A. Cernan, Ronald E. Evans, and Harrison H. Schmitt, the first scientist-astronaut to land on the moon.

And his discovery appears to have a lot of fellow conspiracy theorists excited, with some commenting underneath the picture that the user has made a “good spot,” while others dismissed it as being photoshopped, or pointing out the reflection is another astronaut.

The 1972 Apollo mission was, of course, not the first manned mission to make it to the moon – that honor belongs to Apollo 11, with Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, who took the first steps on the moon on July 20, 1969.

[​IMG]

Buzz Aldrin in a photograph taken by fellow astronaut Neil Armstrong during the Apollo 11 moon landing in July 1969. In Andy Weir's "Artemis," the landing site is preserved one of the main tourist attractions for visitors to the first and only city on the moon. NASA/Reuters

However, the entire question of whether any mission made it to the moon has long been a fond topic of discussion for conspiracy theorists, with pictures and footage from the landing scrutinized over the years by people determined to find proof.

Over the years, such conspiracy theories have been debunked, from the claim that the rocks collected from by astronauts are actually from Antarctica (geologists confirm this is not the case) to the American flag apparently blowing in the “wind” (just flexible aluminum that vibrated after being handled by the astronauts, folks).

This article was first written by Newsweek

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-fake-apos-apollo-moon-161919885.html

Crockett likes this.
  2. DodgebyDave

DodgebyDave Metal Messiah Midas Member

fools can claim anything they want, I guess.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/how-to-see-all-six-apollo-moon-landing-sites/

On September 1, 2009, India's lunar mission Chandrayaan-1 took photos of the Apollo 15 landing site and tracks of the lunar rovers.[184][185] The Indian Space Research Organisation launched their unmanned lunar probe on September 8, 2008 (IST), from Satish Dhawan Space Centre. The photos were taken by a hyperspectral camera fitted as part of the mission's image payload.[184]

China's second lunar probe, Chang'e 2, which was launched in 2010, can photograph the lunar surface with a resolution of up to 1.3 meters (4.3 ft). It spotted traces of the Apollo landings.[186]

Never mind those pesky details!

abeland1, JayDubya, TomD and 4 others like this.
  3. abeland1

abeland1 Silver Member Silver Miner

This sort of thing used to make me angry, but it doesn't anymore. Now it makes me sad. Are there really a significant number of people who believe that we faked the moon landing? Here's a JPEG of something I received from NASA for being in a "mission critical" capacity for over five years during both the Gemini and Apollo programs. I spent six years at the main tracking station in Bermuda. I was in charge of timing. It was my job to send timing information to all of the instrumentation on the site. I feel very fortunate in having been in the right place at the right time with the right stuff to take part in the race to the moon. I can think of no other instance in the history of the human race where two great nation-states competed for a prize without causing great suffering and harm. It was a noble effort on ours and Russia's part, and towards the end we found ourselves cooperating for the benefit of all parties.

That being said, I must also admit that once I saw them running around on the surface of the moon on a glorified golf cart, I lost interest. It became show business. I was fed up enough that in 1972 I emigrated to Australia and went into business for myself, never looking back. The item you see in the JPEG is the only thing that I kept in remembrance.
    003N.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  4. Juristic Person

Juristic Person They drew first blood Platinum Bling

Perhaps the van Allen radiation belts didn't exist in 1969?

Crockett likes this.
  5. skychief

skychief enthusiastic stacker Silver Miner

Musician
    The Moon Landing Stage set designer forgot to put stars in the background! A few stars would have made it so much more convincing. Any 5th grader can tell that's just a set.

(just kidding)

6. Oldmansmith

Oldmansmith Midas Member Midas Member

Environmentl Consultant
    The article in the op talks about a photo but doesn’t show it. This is the kind of “journalism” we have come to expect.

Silvergun, Po'boy, abeland1 and 3 others like this.
  7. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    The Moon Landing would need to be proven to me again. Unfortunately the media has totally destroyed their credibility since 1963 and everything that happened after that which was reported to the public is under scrutiny now. Sorry about that chief!

This is what losing your credibility looks like!

8. Juristic Person

I'm sure that as soon as they figure out a way to develop the technology that once existed 50 years ago but has since been destroyed, they will be able to provide with a less nonsensical fable on how the mission would have been completed.

But until that happens, all we know is "Something funny happened on the way to the moon". ;-)

Po'boy, Crockett, Mr Paradise and 2 others like this.
  9. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Here ya go:
    Moon.jpg

BF

10. EricTheCat

EricTheCat Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I don't know how anyone can conclusively say that the figure in the reflection could not be an astronaut in a space suit.

(I almost posted a few giant paragraphs about why I believe we really did go to the moon but it got way too wordy way too fast so I dropped it)

11. Juristic Person

Maybe you could just narrow it down to the part that explains how in 1969 they had spacesuits that were not only capable of protecting the astronauts from radiation exposure (which according to soviet scientists would have required 4 feet of lead to prevent human death) but also was able to protect them from the VACUUM of space and was able to protect them from the extreme fluctuations in temperature.

Later we can address the mode of transportation which consisted of scotch tape, cardboard and coat hangers. The lack of any blast crater also peaks my curiosity...and just how did that luner rover fit inside the lem?

It's so unfortunate that all the statistical data and blueprints have been lost or destroyed....and now we just can't figure out how to get back there...

Silvergun, Po'boy, Crockett and 2 others like this.
  12. Oldmansmith

Environmentl Consultant
    JP, the big WTF to me is that their spacesuits were allegedly run by freaking 1969 batteries on the lunar surface, handling pressure, breathing, and regulating temperature....Batteries.

13. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Interesting post, thanks sir,
    Regards,

searcher and abeland1 like this.
  14. spinalcracker

spinalcracker On a mail train. Silver Miner Site Supporter

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    What kind of film did they use , Kodak ISO 100?...
    Maybe some Kodachrome 64 ?....
    And how was the film stored in order to protect it from the radiation?
    Coming and going?...

15. EricTheCat

As soon as you can explain how other countries were able to receive radio transmissions from the astronauts using high gain antenna/dishes that had to be pointed very accurately. (Including AMATEUR RADIO OPERATORS) ;)

Actually I'm half joking and I will try and address those concerns. Just so I understand, you believe no spacewalking has ever occurred ever (and no space suite has ever been made that can withstand a vacuum)? I never would have considered withstanding a vacuum to be all that difficult of a part of the overall effort with the materials available at the time. If a diver goes 34 feet underwater they are exposed to the same amount of pressure (in the opposite direction).

Radiation exposure: Let me start off by saying I am not an expert on this matter but there are some very plausible explanations. Their route did not take them through the strongest of radiation (by sheer luck as I understand it but hitting the extremely dangerous parts would have been unlikely). Also there were not any significant radiation storms from the sun during their mission. A strong solar storm may have been a big problem for them if it would have played out differently. One way they prepared was they had geiger counters so they could find the location on the ship that offered the best protection if a solar storm occurred. I'm not sure if I'm explaining that well enough, I would have to re-research this to really get you a very good answer with actual numbers. Essentially would need to take in to account their path, solar conditions, materials used, the way they limited time, etc.

Source for mode of transportation consisting of only scotch tape, cardboard and coat hangers? That's entirely new to me. I may not have been born yet but I thought we had better tech in the 60s than that. :)

Lack of a blast crater? How was this determined? How well would one show up if one was formed? How large of a blast crater do you think should have occurred on the moon with so little oxygen?

How did the lunar rover fit inside the LM? This might shed some light, low quality video shows it being "unpacked": https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Apollo_15_Lunar_Roving_Vehicle_deployment.webm

You mentioned Russia claimed we would need 4 feet of lead to protect from the radiation. How does that explain Russia's mission where they sent a spacecraft around the moon with life forms (tortoises, flies, bacteria, etc.) that came back alive (according to Russia) and Russia themselves concluded that it was possible to survive a lunar flight?

I don't think I can convince you of any of this. I will say a little photography knowledge and a bit of radio knowledge very quickly dismisses a lot of the conspiracy claims I have seen.

Thecrensh, Glasgow, searcher and 2 others like this.
  16. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Yep, yep and yeah, Eric, we done all that. but the site still seems to bed infested with Luddites and science scoffers. That photo I posted is probably only one of a series that are archived somewhere but it is the only one that shows the stage hand. I'd like to see some more of that series.

BF

abeland1 likes this.
  17. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    I find it incredible that the Hubble can't 'see' anything on the moon, or any of the other telescopes used to scan the skies....

Mr Paradise and Juristic Person like this.
  18. DodgebyDave

I'm waiting on Bill Nye to weigh in!

gringott and FoundingFathers like this.
  19. EricTheCat

I don't mean any disrespect to those who believes it was faked. I am the last person to tell you to trust the government in most cases.

The Hubble can photograph the moon but not in high enough resolution to see evidence from the landing. It takes orbiters that are closer to see the kind of resolution you would need . Even at the impressive focal length of 57.6m that the Hubble has, it's only 57.6 times the focal length of one of my telescopes (1000mm). I wouldn't expect to see anything left there if I could somehow magically achieve that kind of resolution with my setup (it would be a complete blur due to the atmosphere).

20. Krag

Krag Planet earth Platinum Bling

Then there was the secret Apollo 18...[​IMG] .[​IMG]
    Beware the killer moonrocks!

gringott likes this.
  21. DodgebyDave

Remember Space: 1999?

22. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    I loved that show! The graphics were nickel and dime store class but the show had the cult following (with me being a card carrying member)

DodgebyDave and gringott like this.
  23. abeland1

abeland1 Silver Member Silver Miner

I thought that those who liked my post would enjoy seeing what the medal is made from. The metal in it made the ultimate round-trip.
    004 (1).JPG

24. FoundingFathers

FoundingFathers Founder Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

Looks like a dude in a spacesuit to me.

I was expecting to see someone in jeans and a t-shirt.

25. Juristic Person

Key word there is "allegedly". In a bizarre coincidence, NASA "lost" the blueprints, as did the contractor who designed and manufactured the suits.

NASA killed off the real astronauts prior to the Apollo program and replaced them with Freemasons who were willing to go along with the bullshit fairtale they sold to the world. Modern technology and new discoveries in science make it very clear that the moon landing never happened as they claimed.

It's been proven that views of the Earth where they claimed to be 130,000 miles from Earth were really doctored shots from low Earth orbit....which to this day is still the limit to modern day human space exploration. We do not have the technology to go beyond low Earth orbit.

Silvergun, Crockett and Mr Paradise like this.
  26. Juristic Person

A space suit?

Looks more like a deep sea diving suit to me.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  27. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

That's because it is a dude in a spacesuit. Notice also how wide the upper-body portion of the shadow is when compared to the width of the shadow of his legs. It shows there's something on his back. A life support system, kinda like what astronauts wear.

When I first saw the headline, that's what I thought too. Then I see the pic. lol

So far there's still nothing about the Moon landing hoax theory that can't be adequately explained.

28. Juristic Person

You raise some good points. I have a lot to post in response but will get back to tomorrow.

29. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Thats awesome !!!...
    worked in and out of KSC and CCAFS for years.
    SPF, OSB, Pads, PAFB etc,etc, etc, and I'm not a so called " Cape Ape ".
    Lots of hardware and knowledge there.
    Giant step for mankind...maybe it wasnt just about the physical step.
    In beeeg picture, the restructuring of the incumbent space program system in last 10 years is a good thing.
    Very refreshing to see your posts.
    Regards sir,
    Haystack

30. EricTheCat

To echo Hystckndle's thoughts, awesome! I really like your story and it is really interesting what the coin was made out of. Good of you to hold on to it.

OT, but somewhere I have a commemorative coin I was given when I was a kid that on the back it says was struck out of bronze from the USS Enterprise. I've never been much in to commemorative coins but they get a lot more interesting when they are made out of what they commemorate. I also find 1944-1946 pennies interesting because they were made with copper from WWII shell casings.

31. RealJack

RealJack Gold Member Gold Chaser

Of course, if they're willing to fake moon landings, they're surely willing to fake commemorative coins.

It'd also be easy to pay off some foreign "official" asshole to authenticate them too.

And at this stage of the game, not even high resolution photography is sufficient proof of much of anything.

Unfortunately, this relegates believing in the moon landings to be more like religion than science.

Personally, I remain agnostic,... leaning heavily toward cynicism.

Crockett and Hystckndle like this.
  32. Oldmansmith

Environmentl Consultant

I’m with you all the way, a moon landing agnostic. I’m actually a militant moon landing agnostic, ie, “I don’t know and you don’t either.”

33. Mr Paradise

Mr Paradise Midas Member Midas Member

Everything the government told us in the 20th century was one big lie, everything from the Lusitania to babies being thrown out of incubators. (just miss using 9/11 by 2yrs)

.....why would this moon landing thing be any different.

Po'boy, birddog, Goldhedge and 2 others like this.
  34. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

You can see the flag the astronauts planted on the moon with a powerful enough telescope. It's a fact.

I can't even use the joke about my ex-wife's orgasms in this thread.

35. Juristic Person

No you can't

Silvergun likes this.
  36. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

Maybe next year is the year we will find out if going to the moon "again" is possible.

NASA to Unveil Plans to Send 4 Astronauts to Moon in 2018
    By Brian Berger, Space News | September 14, 2005 06:43pm ET

WASHINGTON - NASA briefed senior White House officials Wednesday on its plan to spend $100 billion and the next 12 years building the spacecraft and rockets it needs to put humans back on the Moon by 2018.

Po'boy and Oldmansmith like this.
  37. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    Why not?

38. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

A few pertinent details.

Full article at link.

Are there telescopes that can see the flag and lunar rover on the Moon? (Beginner)

Moon.PNG

Yes, the flag is still on the moon, but you can't see it using a telescope.
    The flag is 125 cm (4 feet) long, and you would need an optical wavelength telescope around 200 meters (~650 feet) in diameter to see it. The largest optical wavelength telescope that we have now is the Keck Telescope in Hawaii which is 10 meters in diameter. The Hubble Space Telescope is only 2.4 meters in diameter - much too small!

Resolving the larger lunar rover (which has a length of 3.1 meters) would still require a telescope 75 meters in diameter.

Resolving the lunar lander base, which is 9.5 meters across (including landing gear), would require a telescope about 25 meters across. And in reality you would want a couple (or a few) resolution elements across the object so that it's possible to identify it. (Otherwise it'll look like a one pixel detection, not an image,

In addition, with a ground based telescope, you have to deal with distortion by the atmosphere as well, so you'll probably want something considerably larger than 25 meters if you want a good, believable, image of the lander. We don't have anything that big built yet! So there's really no way to image equipment left behind by the astronauts with current telescope technology.

Moon2.PNG

Anyone who still can't understand why Hubble or ground based telescopes can't see the Lunar landing sites should also be questioning why a pair of binoculars (everyone has used those, right?) can't be used to focus on an ant hill two feet away.

39. Oldmansmith

Environmentl Consultant
    And then of course there is this:

NASA lost moon footage, but Hollywood restores it (Update)
    July 16, 2009 By SETH BORENSTEIN , AP Science Writer
    [​IMG]
    FILE - In this July 20, 1969 file photo, Apollo 11 Commander Neil Armstrong walks slowly away from the lunar module to explore the surface of the moon. (AP Photo, file)

(AP) -- NASA could put a man on the moon but didn't have the sense to keep the original video of the live TV transmission.

In an embarrassing acknowledgment, the space agency said Thursday that it must have erased the Apollo 11 moon footage years ago so that it could reuse the videotape.

But now Hollywood is coming to the rescue.

The studio wizards who restored "Casablanca" are digitally sharpening and cleaning up the ghostly, grainy footage of the moon landing, making it even better than what TV viewers saw on July 20, 1969. They are doing it by working from four copies that NASA scrounged from around the world

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2009-07-nasa-lost-moon-footage-hollywood.html#jCp

abeland1 likes this.
  40. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    It's all bullshit, it's never been anything other than bullshit and Walter Cronkite is spinning in his grave because even he knows now that it's bullshit!