1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Farm Tractor thread

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by Argent Dragon, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Argent Dragon

Argent Dragon Site Support Site Mgr Site Supporter

Here's the controls / dash ~ I'm hoping that tack still works. I also like the levers being off the floor / transmission tunnel.........that area is a trip hazard otherwise.

Garden 027.jpg Garden 025.jpg

2. JustPassinThru

JustPassinThru Gold Member Gold Chaser

Well...they're different measurements of roughly the same quantity: engine power.

I know what you're saying; and my complaint about the Ford threes was exactly that: No torque. Probably more power than the 25-horse fours; but no torque.

That said, a six that size, even a long-stroke one, should really pump out more raw horsepower - unless the carb or exhaust is strangling it.

3. Argent Dragon

This might help clarify some things or at least make this discussion more interesting.

[TABLE="class: tdData3, width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: thdr, colspan: 2"][h=2]Nebraska Tractor Test 968:[/h][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"] [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD] [​IMG] [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tfld"]Test Date:[/TD]
    [TD="class: tdat"]October 31 - November 29, 1967
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tfld"]Type:[/TD]
    [TD="class: tdat"]Gasoline hydrostatic 2WD
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tfld"]PTO power (rated engine speed):[/TD]
    [TD="class: tdat"]65.8 hp [49.1 kW]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tfld"]PTO fuel use (engine speed):[/TD]
    [TD="class: tdat"]6.3 gal/hour [23.8 l/hour]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tfld"]PTO power (rated PTO speed):[/TD]
    [TD="class: tdat"]60.81 hp [45.3 kW]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tfld"]PTO fuel use (PTO speed):[/TD]
    [TD="class: tdat"]5.6 gal/hour [21.2 l/hour]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tfld"]Drawbar power (max):[/TD]
    [TD="class: tdat"]50.09 hp [37.4 kW]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tfld"]Drawbar fuel use (max):[/TD]
    [TD="class: tdat"]6.4 gal/hour [24.2 l/hour]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tfld"]Drawbar pull (max):[/TD]
    [TD="class: tdat"]7,587 lbs [3441 kg]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tfld"]Max pull gear:[/TD]
    [TD="class: tdat"]2.3 mph
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tfld"]Test report:[/TD]
    [TD="class: tdat"]PDF file[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

4. Argent Dragon

My next (dream) tractor............now here's some POWER !!!

b18f8549fe7860be0f066eeb4597fa21.jpg

5. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    Do as you will to help keep the farmer friend happy but I wouldn't trade a 135[got one] for a 175 in a gazillion years unless I had absolutely trashed the 175 first. Just my opinion as I ain't in your shoes or your area.

6. hoarder

hoarder Midas Board Mmbr Platinum Bling

Good thing you got the gasoline engine. The diesel version of that is a real lemon.

Argent Dragon likes this.
  7. Prairie Ogre

Prairie Ogre Seeker

farmer
    Nice score indeed!

Now, convert it to propane.

8. Argent Dragon

I'm still on the fence and won't do a trade this weekend to give me more time to think about it. My Perkins runs strong but does smoke a little and has trouble cranking on cold mornings when the temp is in the thirties or lower. It also has 1-remote where the 135 doesn't have any. However, the 135 had a complete engine overhaul, the lights work, and all the gauges function properly. It's in better condition than my 175.

9. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    as time goes along and you get more implements lack of at least one remote becomes a issue......

in rank of importance to me tractor needs

#1 3pt
    #2 live pto
    #3 remote
    #4 loader
    #5 4wd
    #6 reverser

Argent Dragon and pitw like this.
  10. Argent Dragon

I'm picking up the IH-656 tomorrow and have yet to see it in person. After studying the pics to determine it's a 'utility' model, I noticed some camber issues with the front wheels. I wondered why all the pics have the loader in the down position and realized it 'hides' the front wheels in the 'head-on' view. I'm thinking either the wheel bearings are worn out or the spindles are severely worn or both. Any ideas what might be needed to fix this problem ? :vollkommenauf:

Garden 023.jpg

11. ttazzman

Granted i have no experience with that Brand/Model of tractor

but i cant imagine wheel bearings be a big issue..

broke...bent...worn out spindle...or king pin....might be a different issue.......but shouldnt be hard IF you can get parts reasonable..(i imagine parts can be had just finding them in a junk yard sometimes can be time consuming and pricy)

might want to check out parts availability before you pick it up and at the very least negotiate pricing to cover the issue......or walk away...

12. JustPassinThru

That looks bad.

As noted here...it might be an easy fix or there might be an issue with parts. Navistar, which is what the company renamed itself, doesn't make tractors anymore. The tractor line and the Raymond Lowey IH logo were sold to Case; which was put into a bigger conglomerate. I'd wonder if International tractors are effective orphans.

That wheel angling off looks more than a bad bearing; and I can't imagine a cast spindle bending that much without breaking. I'd ask around what a replacement axle and spindles would cost before buying this one.

13. Argentium

Argentium Midas Member Midas Member

My definition of an optimist; my 83 year old Dad gave up on his old Farmall last year and bought a "new" old tractor and refurbished bush hog! Sometimes, I think he's gonna live forever!

14. rockriver

rockriver Seeker Seeker

I think you have a goldmine nearby...
    I'd suggest telling your "new tractor friend" that you'd like to come help him
    work on his next tractor repair...
    if he's willing to go on a road trip with you.
    if he's willing to do a tractor swap.
    he might appreciate the free labor and someone to share his knowledge with!!
    and what a great learning time for you.
    and
    what if you have serious steering/problems and he's willing to "help" you since you've been helping him.
    and
    you could loan him your tractor if you don't want to trade for the 135..
    or even let him show you how to work the hay with his old tractor!

great thread!
    rr

Argent Dragon and JustPassinThru like this.
  15. Argent Dragon

Well, the short answer from my research and in-person inspection is that it has the 'wrong' spindles on it. The Farmall Row Crop tractors had a different front end and I believe the angle of their spindles were different. The spindles on mine should be closer to 90-deg but instead it looks like 95-deg or better causing the camber to be off and the alignment is a bit towed in as well which can be set closer to neutral for a better stance.

16. Argent Dragon

Well, I picked up the IH-656 last Saturday in OK. After attempting to start the tractor (bad battery) the yard worker then tried to jump it off his forklift. Several attempts but no *start*. Then guess what ?!? That crazy MF used his forklift (with straps) to lift the darn thing and tried to load it onto our trailer ! I mean just look at that loader bucket sagging like claws on a lobster when ya pull one out of a tank !!! :bear_blink:

Loader 008.jpg

I was getting upset :mad: and was ready to complain because afterall, I bid and won this tractor thru auction with the promise that it was *running*. I went back into the building and talked with the sales manager and expressed my concern that if they managed to forklift the darn tractor onto the trailer then how in the hell was I suppose to unload it ?!!?!? I needed a tractor to operate under its own power and I didn't care if it smoked, belched, or otherwise. Of course he expressed it's an auction tractor and it's "AS-IS" where is and so forth. I shot back with, "I don't want my money back - but I do expect a running tractor !"

Disgusted, I told my friend since it's MY tractor on 'their' property then I need to go buy a new battery. Lots of ideas were battered around about points, no spark etc. We made it back a tad past noon and all the workers (including the yard guy) had gone home as the boss promised. We proceeded and met SUCCESS with starting her up and it ran pretty good after a few minutes (and kept running). With some work and relocating the trailer so it wouldn't push the truck while loading we got her aboard !!! I was glad we weren't coming back. By this time the manager / supervisor totally changed his demeanor and was most helpful and getting us on our way and even aired up the front tires.

Loader 009.jpg

My IH-656 is home now and the maintenance will begin with fluid changes etc. but it works and starts and does everything I was promised it would do. The camber issue I'm living with for now and it's not so bad off-road. At least she's safe at home and looks to be a good workhorse for the chores I have lined up. Later that night I drove around with only one (1) light working out of four on the fenders and as the temperature dropped I drove it up to the house and shut her down for the night. The next morning I awoke at 7am to hear ice pellets hitting the windows. OMG, I left the tractor out !!! After getting ready and having a cup of joe, I headed to the 656 to try and start her up. Ice all over the seat, ice all over the controls, ice all over the cowling. I pulled the choke out (fully closed) all the way and proceeded. On the second turn over she came to life ! Not bad for an old gal that hasn't been ran too much in recent years. I'd a never been able to do that with a diesel. Mine you, I don't like the cold so working in 30-degree weather is not gonna happen,.........but when the time arises that I need to move a machine in cold temps ~ this one can do it !

Loader 022.jpg

17. JustPassinThru

Good to see you're pleased with it.

You're obviously a more patient man than I - I'd have told him flat out, if it doesn't run it doesn't sell. No pickup and no payment...sue me! And then have countersued for the expense of getting there with a trailer.

My own experience with deals gone bad, is that when there's a lie in it, it's usually all a lie.

18. Argent Dragon

Yeah, some have said I have the patience of Job..........and I'm not sure if that's a blessing or a curse. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I was hell bent on making it work out and I needed a loader badly. Can you imagine how much work it would be to shovel this ?!?! OMG, what was I thinking ?

Loader 025.jpg

ttazzman likes this.
  19. pitw

And then I think of the great wall in China.:afraid:

20. JustPassinThru

Shoveling muck builds CHARACTER.

Like walking to school. Through the snow. Uphill - both ways.

Yeah, I'd say you had a need.

Or else I could say the whole story was full of sh!t...but that would be uncouth. :cheerful:

21. Argent Dragon

Well, to avoid shoveling muck as much as possible, I'll need to do a hydraulic fluid & filter change. Any tips on doing this ?!?

IH-656 parked.jpg

22. hoarder

There's not much to a hydraulic fluid and filter change (depending on model). Most hydraulic systems, in addition to having a filter on the return side, will have some sort of screen near the pump inlet line at the bottom of the tank /resevoir. Use a flashlite to see if the screen is mucked up. If so you'll have to figure out a way to clean it.

Argent Dragon and pitw like this.
  23. pitw

Hoarder has that exactly right. On the masseys the inlet screen is often the problem.

24. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Model T Ford Tractor Plowing

[video=youtube_share;9RpF-dRe0Ug]http://youtu.be/9RpF-dRe0Ug[/video]

http://youtu.be/9RpF-dRe0Ug

Uploaded on Aug 27, 2011
    Model T Ford 1927 Model T Ford home made tractor. It has two additional 3-speed transmissions and has a Model TT rear end (Truck). The plow is a John Deere walking plow modified with linkage to raise and lower the plow. My dad purchased this tractor in 1941 for $15.00 "My older brother is running the tractor" (This homemade tractor was used to plow Victory Gardens during the depression)

Model T Ford Tractor Plowing #2

[video=youtube_share;30bygLsPSr8]http://youtu.be/30bygLsPSr8[/video]

http://youtu.be/30bygLsPSr8

Uploaded on Aug 28, 2011

Model T Ford Part #2 of plow days 2006 1927 Model T Ford home made tractor. It has two additional 3-speed transmissions and has a Model TT rear end (Truck). The plow is a John Deere walking plow modified with linkage to raise and lower the plow. My dad purchased this tractor in 1941 for $15.00 (This homemade tractor was used to plow Victory Gardens during the depression)

25. hoarder

Snow chains on the back tires and a boulder to hold them down. I bet the added torque wreaked havoc with those wood spoked wheels.

26. ttazzman

been wondering ...how are you and your tractor getting along??

FWIW....its good to make sure you use the correct type of hydraulic fluid in tractors that share hydro fluid in the transmission/clutch also

27. Voodoo

Voodoo Seeker Seeker

Well this may not be the best place or thread to ask but its about the best I could find. We bought a small acreage, ~3 acres, over a year ago and I am looking for a lawn mower / tractor. I wish I had the 10-15k for a true small tractor and a bunch of implements but thats not in the budget at the moment. I was looking for a riding lawn mower that could attach a blade for snow removal and maybe a small cart for hauling dirt, lumber, etc. I'd really like to stay around 2k for the total but there are tons of options and price points. I think John Deere just makes a tractor for every price point but they don't really seem to be much different. Any ideas.

28. hoarder

Practically any lawn tractor can pull a small cart and mow grass, working a snowplow is more complicated. Think what happens when you raise the blade. That would require either hydraulics, a winch or manual operation which is damn difficult even with a puny blade. When you have the blade off the ground, all that weight is on the front tires and front axle. Most lawn tractors have flimsy front axes and light duty front tires and wheels. You would definitely have to go used if you want to stay under 2 or 3K.
    If you get a separate snowblower instead of making that one of the duties the lawn tractor has to preform, you lawn tractor options will widen.

29. ttazzman

Hoarder is spot on..........even with a rear blade a sub 2k lawn tractor is not the way to go for pushing snow.....they are too light...would need chains...4wd...etc

when the budget is right a 10-15k compact ..4wd..loader..pto..mid-mower...tractor will be the way to go....seems like the implements cost more than the tractors though..

30. searcher

Millars Tractor Spares

[video=youtube_share;FLQhvruimfs]http://youtu.be/FLQhvruimfs[/video]

http://youtu.be/FLQhvruimfs

Uploaded on Apr 26, 2010Drag Tractor vs Traction Engine

rockriver, Bender, TAEZZAR and 3 others like this.
  31. ttazzman

goes to show you what a difference weight will make........

90%RealMoney likes this.
  32. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

DANG !!!! searcher, you beat me to it !! :s1:

BTW: I lived in Vista, Calif., home to a very big historical tractor group.

searcher likes this.
  33. searcher

100 Years of Montana Farming! "Big Bud Tractors" Gopro

[video=youtube_share;xMFRDekIjTA]http://youtu.be/xMFRDekIjTA[/video]

http://youtu.be/xMFRDekIjTA

Published on Nov 13, 2012
    Spring Seeding - 1:50
    Spraying - 5:04
    Harvest - 6:46

In celebration of 100 years of farming! Here is my dedication to our family business. My great Grandpa homesteaded in 1912 and after 100 years I am blessed to be able to continue his legacy! It took several months to film seeding, spraying, and harvest. I hope you enjoy the movie as much as I did making it!

Video edited with PowerDirector

Music was scored by Brian Ward - http://www.youtube.com/user/JfreakBwa...
    Final Harvest Song - Brian Ward "Forget The Flesh"

We do run the legendary Big Bud tractors, and have three in total. The smallest Big Bud is the first generation with a 855 Cummins rated at 350hp(soon to be upgraded). The second is a Big Bud KT-450 with a 1150 Cummins rated at 450hp and finally the third is a third generation Big Bud 525 with the same 1150 Cummins engine rated at 600hp. Being the backbone of our farm, Big Buds have worked our ground over the last 30 years and we plan to keep them around as long as possible. Harvest consisted of three machines this year, two Case 2188 with 36ft drapers and an old John Deere 7700(now retired) with a 24ft header. All the video was filmed using a Gopro Hero and Hero 2, can't say enough about Gopro cameras, they made this all possible, only wish I had the Hero 3 when I started filming this spring. I used Cyberlink PowerDirector 10 for the first time and was very impressed by its performance as well as ease to use, I look forward to editing my next project.

There will be more videos to come so subscribe if you enjoyed this one!

rockriver and Sport like this.
  34. searcher

Twin Engined Chamberlain Tractor

[video=youtube_share;6w-ZnkeXI7c]http://youtu.be/6w-ZnkeXI7c[/video]

http://youtu.be/6w-ZnkeXI7c

Uploaded on Jul 26, 2011
    Twin 671 Detroit Engined 18Ton Chamberlain Tractor, 12 wheels put the power to the ground, it pulls a Shearer 62ft wide seeder, 105 sowing rows, 6Ton of seed and super, sowing 55 acres per hour at 7mph.

The two tractors engines are identical to the 671 Detroit "General Grant" tank engines, This monster makes short work of the huge acres that are Typical of modern Australian broad-acre farming.

This clip was cut from the O-Line Video/Media file tape.

35. northfarmer

northfarmer Seeker Seeker

That montanna video is basically my lifestyle,-minus the archaic sprayer,thanks for posting.

Hope everyone appreciates all the moving parts,and how many fk ups there are in a day.

michael59 likes this.
  36. northfarmer

northfarmer Seeker Seeker

Voodoo,get a quad with a blade,unless your a good mechanic then shop the farm auctions for relics.

37. pitw

Got the boat motor running good enough for a test drive in the lake on the hottest day of the year so far and we got out this instead of going to the water.
    [​IMG]

Boys need hay for their 4H calves so I hooked up a baler I got 16 years ago by trading some sweat for it.
    [​IMG]

That girl has put up all our neeeded feed for the milk cows, horses, 4H calves, butcher cattle and straw for the critters and has not cost me more than a new chains, grease and a bit of skin. The tractor I got for $2,227 from the Municipal District 18 years ago and boys she was a best buy.
    [​IMG]

We now have the good grass feed needed for calves stacked in the yard and my neighbor is cutting the 155 acres of alfalfa for baling so I will steal enough for our cows from there[I guess stealing from yourself is OK].

Jarrod32, Solo, Argent Dragon and 2 others like this.
  38. pitw

Another day and I needed to make hay for the two cows too. The fellow who puts up my hay for a share of the crop[then buys my share] uses an 18 foot haybine that leaves a swath far too wide for my itty baler so I have to rake it. I bought an 18 foot swather from a fellow a few years back and he threw this rake in the deal[swather and rake cost me $100 and 8 games of crib]. I had not ever hooked up to it before and boys it is like new condition[except the tires] and hooked to the 35 worked like a dream that any 13 year old can manage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I went for a 1/2 mile drive east and another neighbor was using a 65.
    [​IMG]

to pull a V rake.
    [​IMG]

She's the time of year to go look at all the different haying equipment up here and it goes from junk like mine to Cadillac supreme.

FreeMan, searcher and Solo like this.
  39. rockriver

rockriver Seeker Seeker

voodoo,
    read this whole thread...
    I encourage you to look at old compacts..
    a jd 750 and 770 for instance...
    Kubota or or other low 20 hp...
    if you find one the guy will probably have 3 or more implements you can get "in the deal."
    the fact that these things will be 20 to 30 years old shouldn't deter you.

for just a little over your budget...
    your capabilities will vastly increase when you get out of the lawn garden size...

dirt to oil likes this.
  40. pitw

Went to town for some oil and had to stop to take these pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

searcher likes this.