1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Final Score: Armed Pizza Shop Patron = 2 | Armed Robber Thugs = 0

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by searcher, Nov 16, 2016.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Saw this on the local news earlier. Cops said they are checking to see if the customer had a valid carry permit.

Police investigate shooting at Middletown pizza shop
    One man is dead and another is hospitalized in serious condition after they tried to hold up a pizza restaurant Tuesday night, according to Middletown police.

Police said the incident occurred inside a pizza shop at the Skyline Plaza Shopping Center at Route 413 and Trenton Road.

Police said both men, who were not identified, were shot by an unidentified customer.

The customer shot both alleged robbers inside Porfirio's Pizza & Pasta II after they pistol-whipped him, according to authorities.

One suspect was dead at the scene. The second suspect was seriously injured and taken to St. Mary Medical Center, then flown to Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, according to Middletown police Chief Joe Bartorilla.

Two restaurant employees and the customer were the only people in the restaurant shortly after 10 p.m. when the two armed suspects entered.

The two employees were not injured, police said. The customer declined medical attention. Bartorilla said Tuesday night that police confirmed the firearm was properly registered to the customer. They are still trying to confirm whether the man had a concealed carry permit.

A witness at the scene reported seeing a body on the floor of restaurant.

No other details were available early Wednesday morning.

Enjoying our content? Become a Bucks County Courier Times subscriber to support stories like these. Get full access to our signature journalism for just 33 cents a day.

Jo Ciavaglia: 215-949-4181; email: jciavaglia@calkins.com; Twitter: @JoCiavaglia

http://www.buckscountycouriertimes....cle_15368582-abaf-11e6-b9d9-3bf47cc96451.html

Customer shoots two robbers inside Levittown pizza shop
    http://6abc.com/news/customer-shoots-two-robbers-inside-levittown-pizza-shop/1609215/

Officials say Pennsylvania pizza shop customer shoots 2 robbers, killing 1
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/1...nded-in-pennsylvania-pizza-shop-shooting.html

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    JayDubya and andial like this.
  2. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

But ... but .... what about the thugs' guns? Were they registered? Did they have carry permits?

Irons, oldgaranddad, Alton and 2 others like this.
  3. searcher

Probably boosted them in a home robbery.

4. JayDubya

JayDubya Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

I like it when I get to read heartwarming stories to start my day....

oldgaranddad, ArkWv, gringott and 3 others like this.
  5. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Code speak for Lamont & Jurzel

F'ed wit da wrong dude!

Philly = black.........

Only question was it a black on black crime. 99% yes because if the customer was white it would be listed as a hate crime. Just gotta know how to read between the lines of this "reporting".

6. searcher

Not sure yet but Levittown is mostly white.

7. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

Who cares if the unidentified customer who was pistol-whipped had a registered firearm of a valid carry permit?!? Self defense IS a right. Self protection IS a right. NO "permission" is needed from ANY government agency to exercise these rights! It's gotta be said in this instance...Phuk the law!

8. searcher

I agree 100% but we both know how cops think.

Alton likes this.
  9. Alton

Searcher, you are too kind, intimating that cops think...

Yes, thanks for reminding me. I also think that these stupid registration and carry permit laws, regulations, ordinances and policies should be the tinder at witch Killary's feet when she gets burned at the stake....I know...high hopes and a vivid imagination still don't overcome current realities...but, here's to hoping!

searcher likes this.
  10. searcher

11. searcher

The 2 thieves in this were not too bright. They never considered anyone would be armed.

Once in a while I'll do happy hour in a place owned by a woman married to a cop. If she's there she is armed. If her husband is there he's armed. The day time bartender is armed and so are a couple of the regulars. Imagine if these two chuckle heads were to try to hit that place?

Zed and gringott like this.
  12. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Customer needs to hit the range more. Should have killed the second one.

mayhem, andial and Alton like this.
  13. searcher

Alton, Irons, gringott and 1 other person like this.
  14. Alton

Cool! Still gotta wonder what took so long!?! Probably the time to run registration and permits...Yes, I AM biting my tongue :)

searcher likes this.
  15. Ebie

Ebie Midas Member Midas Member

16. searcher

His carry permit was expired. He won't be charged for that.

Here's the procedure for getting a carry permit in my county:

How to Apply For a Concealed Weapons Permit in the County Of Bucks
    http://www.buckscounty.org/government/RowOfficers/Sheriff/WeaponsPermit

Here's the procedure in Philly:

License to Carry Firearms
    http://www.phila.gov/InformationCenters/Pages/Firearm.aspx

Ebie likes this.
  17. searcher

18. latemetal

latemetal Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Works for me, good shoot.

19. Ebie

Ebie Midas Member Midas Member

Good post.
    Here in California he probably would have been charged if he did not have a CCW--depending on the political mood of the press and other unwritten laws.
    Also, of course, as you know, Calif is not a "shall issue" state--you need to have a "reason"--at least in my city.
    Interestingly, they have a straightforward CCW application process--but nobody without political influence gets a CCW permit in my town. In reality, successful applicants, probably apply only after they get unofficial approval.
    Normal citizens are never approved.
    They do not publish the actual criteria that they use in the real world to decide who gets a CCW--for obvious reasons.

searcher likes this.
  20. searcher

In my county you're good to go if you aren't a convicted felon, don't have a PFA (protection from abuse) against you, you weren't in a nut house, treated for drug or alcohol abuse, don't have a bunch of DUI's. Most people simply put "self defense" on the application for a reason for wanting the permit. Really don't know anyone who has ever been turned down.

I know several people who have taken classes (not necessary) and then got their permits. Most people simply apply and then go to a range to practice. Applications have soared here due to all the mass shootings.

Ebie likes this.
  21. mayhem

mayhem Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

Sounds like he didn't empty his mag. :-)
    I let my permit expire last Dec. I still carry, as I don't do stupid things, but I also would do what that customer did, and take my chances.
    To bad one did live, but any more shots to finish him off would have changed the circumstances against the sh00ter.

searcher likes this.
  22. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Free Marketeer
    I agree with Constitutional Carry but I'm also aware of the stupidity of people. Going through CC courses and seeing people who were there for training having to be told multiple times not to put their finger inside the trigger guard until they were on range, pointed down range and ready to fire

Some of these people weren't even hitting the sillouette ever time at 7 yards

I don't think it's all bad that the state insists on basic training and proof you can handle a weapon

As far as permission though, I'm hard libertarian it's not the government call

PS - I also want my heart surgeon to have passed his medical exam

searcher likes this.
  23. searcher

MULLANE: Three more inductees into the fraternity of stickup survivors

Bucks County District Attorney Matthew Weintraub holds a photo of three guns during a press conference at the Justice Center in Doylestown Borough on Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2016. The two guns on the left are Airsoft guns, a special type of pellet gun, that were in possession of two robbers who attempted to hold up a Middletown pizzeria on Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2016. On the right is the .45-caliber pistol a pizzeria customer used to shoot and kill one of the robbers and critically wound the second. The shooter fired after he was pistol-whipped by one of the robbers, authorities said.

On Tuesday night, and for the second time this year in Levittown, a good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy with a gun. Actually it was a twofer. A pair of gun-wielding thugs were shot as one pistol-whipped a man during a holdup at Porfirio's Pizza & Pasta II on Veterans Highway.

The gunmen entered the small shop in the Skyline Plaza Shopping Center about 10 p.m. Tuesday, police said. One gunman, Shawn Rose, 24, beat the customer, who pulled out a .45 pistol and shot him and his brother Justin, 22.

Shawn Rose is dead, Justin was in critical condition Wednesday. The customer and two shop employees are uninjured.

The name of the customer has not been released, but he will not be charged, because investigators said the shooting was self-defense, said Bucks County D.A. Matt Weintraub.

In June, pharmacy owner Kenneth Lee shot and killed a robber who arrived at his pharmacy wearing a Halloween mask, carrying a shotgun and plastic zip ties. Despite warnings, the thug jumped the counter and Lee did what he had to do to protect himself.

These kinds of stories stop me cold. That’s because, as I’ve written here before, I had a gun pointed at my head when I walked in on an armed robbery at a Subway sandwich shop in Bristol in 1992.

That's almost a quarter century ago. But those of us who come within a trigger pull of having our brains blown out or vital organs severed by some gun-wielding creep have the event burnished in memory forever. It’s like yesterday.

It’s odd that, since that experience, these kinds of stories always present themselves to me, even though I’m not looking for them. Paging through the paper, skimming social media, they pop up, and I read to the end, because I know how it feels. It’s almost kinship with the victims.

I know exactly how they feel. The adrenaline pump. The look of loved ones when you tell them what happened. Then the anger, because it’s an experience that was forced on you by some pitiless thug, and you never want it again.

You can replay those seconds when your mortal coil nearly ended, and you do each time you read how someone, like you, escaped.

Frank Peranteau was the Bristol police chief in 1992. He arrived at the Subway shop at Commerce Park and, after talking to his investigating officer, came to me and said, “You don’t know how lucky you are.”

Not then, no. But in the years since, reading scores of holdup stories where someone was shot or killed or tied and beaten, I know exactly how lucky I am. The punk with the gun, five days out of prison, for whatever reason, didn’t shoot me or the clerk behind the counter, who was hyperventilating after the robber fled.

Weeks later, I sat next to the clerk at district court for the gunman’s preliminary hearing. County sheriffs brought the perp into the building, right past us, and the clerk began to hyperventilate again.

You never forget how it was.

In the Porfirio's Pizza case, I know little about the dead guy or his felonious partner. It is hard to muster pity for men who use beat and terrify law-abiding people simply going about their day.

I’ll leave it at that knowing that, somewhere, there are grieving family and friends enduring heartache.

Punks never take that into consideration.

But the customer and the two employees get to spend another Thanksgiving with their families, grateful that God or luck or the super moon or whatever, intervened and prevented death or serious injury over a few lousy bucks in the cash register.

Gun grabbers, hold your fire. There is no way you will convince any reasonable person that the law-abiding customer with the gun in the pizza shop was wrong to protect his life, and the lives of the others.

This week we have three new inductees into the fraternity of stickup survivors.

Enjoying our content? Become a Bucks County Courier Times subscriber to support stories like these. Get full access to our signature journalism for just 33 cents a day.

#ndn-video-player-3.ndn_embedded .ndn_floatContainer { margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 20px; }

J.D. Mullane's column appears in the BCCT Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday and in the Burlington County Times on Wednesday. Reach him at 215-949-5745; email: jmullane@calkins.com; Twitter: @jdmullane

http://www.buckscountycouriertimes....cle_aa66b3bc-ac49-11e6-9d8b-e3fbcb35a395.html

Joe King likes this.
  24. searcher

Ensoniq likes this.
  25. searcher

Ensoniq likes this.
  26. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Keeping it in the family.

searcher likes this.
  27. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

[​IMG][​IMG]

52 years old & looks worse than Gary Buesy!!!!!!!!!

searcher likes this.
  28. latemetal

I'll bet money on Meth...

Ensoniq and searcher like this.
  29. searcher

Would-be pizza store robber sentenced
    • By Thomas Friestad, Staff Writer
    • 1 hr ago

[​IMG]

Justin Rose

A Bristol Township man pleaded guilty Tuesday to an attempted pizza restaurant holdup and robbery.

After the guilty plea, Justin Rose, 23, was sentenced to 4.75 to 10 years in state prison.

On Nov. 15, Rose and his 24-year-old brother, Shawn, entered Porfirio's Pizza and Pasta II in Middletown shortly before closing time, wearing bandanas and surgical gloves and brandishing Airsoft pellet guns, police said. The siblings then ordered two shop employees and a customer to "Give us all your (expletive)," according to the reports.

The brothers had removed the orange plastic tips from their pellet guns' barrels to make them look like real firearms, according to the Bucks County District Attorney's office. Shawn Rose used his Airsoft gun to pistol-whip the lone customer, and in return, the customer pulled out a real .45-caliber pistol and fired back, hitting both brothers, the officials said.

Shawn Rose was killed. Justin Rose was struck in the throat and shoulder, resulting in a hospital stay for surgeries and eight months in a wheelchair, according to county officials.

"I just remember hearing the gun going off and (Shawn) hitting the ground," Justin Rose told county Judge Jeffrey Finley during his hearing Tuesday. "By the time I turned around, (the customer) was shooting at me, too."

Rose watched his brother die on the pizza shop's floor, according to the District Attorney's office. "He screamed for water a couple of times, and that was about it," Rose told Finley.

In return, Finley asked Rose, “What do you think happens when people run around with guns?”

The man responded, “Exactly what happened.”

Justin Rose elaborated that the robbery was his brother's idea, and when Finley asked why he tagged along, said, "He's my older bother; I look up to him and he was going in either way."

During the trial, Justin Rose said he has suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder since his attempted robbery; "I hear things that aren't there," he said, adding, "I see my brother lying on the ground bleeding, when he's not there."

But that disorder didn't originate in a vacuum, Finley reminded Rose.

"This was a premeditated, planned act," he said. "Frankly, it's lucky for you that only one person was killed."

Justin Rose's charges included felony robbery and conspiracy offenses as well as misdemeanor counts of assault and reckless endangerment. On top of his prison sentence, Finley sentenced him to a 10-year probationary period following his release.

District Attorney Matthew Weintraub said his office decided not to bring charges against the customer who fired back at the Rose brothers, saying the shooting was justified. Weintraub declined to name the customer, citing privacy concerns, but said he was trained in the use of firearms. The customer had a concealed-carry permit that expired 14 months before the attempted robbery, Weintraub said, but the county chose to overlook this because he used his gun "only to the extent he needed to save his own life."

Justin and Shawn Rose weren't the only ones the District Attorney's office implicated in the case — the brothers' mother and Justin's pregnant girlfriend played a role, too. Officials say Robin Lynn Soto, 53, and Chasidy Demi Ramos, 26, stepped inside the pizza shop to ask employees when the restaurant was closing and to report to the brothers how many people were inside before their attempted robbery. The two women remained in contact with Justin during their holdup via phone.

Ramos, of Bristol Borough, and Soto, of Middletown, both pleaded guilty to robbery and conspiracy in March and April, respectively. Ramos was sentenced to one day less than one year to one day less than two years in Bucks County prison and Soto was sentenced to an 18- to 36-month stint in state prison.

Enjoying our content? Become a Bucks County Courier Times subscriber to support stories like these. Get full access to our signature journalism for just 44 cents a day.

http://www.buckscountycouriertimes....1e7-8725-10604b9f6eda.html?hp=top-fourstories

30. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

((4.75 to 10 years in state prison))
    Light sentence for armed robbery

31. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    This is the problem with writing too many rules, someone will always be checking that the police made sure the situation was fully compliant with the law. No doubt they will throw the book at the armed criminals but they are also forced to make sure the innocent party acted legally, especially considering a death is involved. To fail to do so his to put themselves in the frame for some unwanted legal attention. Basically they are forced to act in this manner by the legal framework within which they work. I'd not be blaming the police for this one, but instead looking at the legal framework that they are forced to operate under. The interesting thing would be what would they actually do if they found the permit wasn't compliant. Would they a token fine or would they enforce the law and it's maximum limit? I would assume they just need to check the box and say yes we found you didn't have a permit and we slapped you on the wrists and called you a naughty boy. By the way thanks doing a job for us, here is public service commendation! .... Or whatever.

Just saying I've had situations where what I've had to do didn't really feel all that good but it was worth more than my job not to do it.

32. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Oh for the good old days when they hung horse thieves

33. latemetal

A person died while in the commission of a Felony, where is the murder charge? This should be 30 to life.

34. Duckworth

Duckworth Seeker Site Supporter ++ Seeker

One of the best things to come of the course here was a good education on when lethal force is justified. It is good to have an understanding of the laws in your state. I also don't have a problem with people that have limited knowledge on handling a gun getting some good instruction!