1. Stocks take a break, metals up
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Tuesday Morning! We have Gold up 5.4 to 1251 while Silver is up 7 to 16.64. Crude is also up 44 to 43.82. The USD is down 52 to 96.59
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

First Spouse Coins

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by ppius13, Apr 1, 2010.

1. tradeshack

tradeshack Seeker Seeker

Mamie Eisenhower 2015 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin

This product is currently Unavailable.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    Chester-Copperpot likes this.
  2. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Completely sell out or just back order. Under 600 minted???

tradeshack likes this.
  3. tradeshack

tradeshack Seeker Seeker

You're absolutely right! Post has been corrected.

4. Chester-Copperpot

Thanks for clearing that up. I was pondering buying ten to flip, that could have got ugly :argh:

Are the Bess Truman coins on back order too, or have those sold out completely?

5. tradeshack

tradeshack Seeker Seeker

The mint describes both Bess Truman gold coins as, "This product is currently Unavailable". I tend to describe the condition as "sold out" because the initial inventory was all sold. Of course it's more clear to describe it as a "back order" because of the possibility that the mint may produce more. It may be better yet to describe the condition exactly as the mint has since we don't know for certain that more will be produced.
    More news:

Grace Coolidge 2014 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Proof Coin - 62 Item(s) In Stock
    Florence Harding 2014 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Proof Coin - 36 Item(s) In Stock

6. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

I think what is going on here is that the mint decided to move up the release dates of each spouse coin this year and then mint what they knew they would quickly sell. I don't think they want years of stock lying around like what happened in 2013/14. Jackie Kennedy is going to be interesting because the mint is stepping up production for her and they may use sales of that coin to determine how many additional Truman and Eisenhower coins to strike on a second run. All this is pure speculation, but I must say it is a welcome development for what is clearly no longer a dead series.

hernancortes likes this.
  7. tradeshack

tradeshack Seeker Seeker

Mamie Eisenhower 2015 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Proof Coin

This product is currently Unavailable.

It's unusual how the mint state coin went offline before the proof. Interesting also the size of orders that took out the proof.

8. tradeshack

tradeshack Seeker Seeker

New status:

Bess Truman 2015 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Proof Coin - Back Order

Bess Truman 2015 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin - Back Order

Mamie Eisenhower 2015 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Proof Coin - Available

Mamie Eisenhower 2015 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin - Back Order

9. savvydon

Guess that answers that question. The Mint is batching this year. Actually makes some sense...

10. tradeshack

tradeshack Seeker Seeker

Mamie Eisenhower 2015 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin - Available

lightcycler and Oldmansmith like this.
  11. lightcycler

lightcycler Silver Member Silver Miner

wow. I almost bought a few hoover Coolidge etc. Just couldn't pull the trigger so go me 3 Britania's from APMEX on Ebay for 30 bucks over spot.

12. tradeshack

tradeshack Seeker Seeker

Today, both Trumans appear to be available for immediate delivery and the mint shows the Eisenhowers are on backorder until August 1 with more being made.

13. HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent Midas Member Midas Member

Hello friends...

Enjoy...

HS - I'm back like the old California Governor ARNIE ...

Attached Files:

lightcycler and SongSungAU like this.
  14. HistoryStudent

If that thing works above it is a cheat-sheet (cop jargon) for a quick way to see the whole series. I use the blank columns
    for my inventory. Anyway - this like I told the OLD F_RTS will be the lowest coins issued in 200 years. When HILLARY
    makes it (not predicting nor condoning) Bill will make it really interesting come 2017. Jackie will be number #12 - in popularity
    see the cheat-sheet numbers on President's ranking.

If your mommy did not drown all the dumb ones BUY the crappola (slang - for my Springer Spaniel - she jumps a lot at her 65 pounds for the OLD F_ART!)
    out of all the ones this year.

FDR was OKAY at 1,886 & 2,377 for an all time LOW in each.

I suspect 2,013 will soon die from the mint with egg on their face because they failed to put either the WHITE HOUSE on the back (OBS) or the gal's working
    with their president that gave them the First SPOUSE title.

HS old and still kicking has my friends like OMS & HC (Hernan)?

15. Chester-Copperpot

Good to see your still kicking :emotions16:

HistoryStudent likes this.
  16. HistoryStudent

Eric Jordan's classic = Modern Commemorative Coins book page 14 (read it three times) especially where it says DUPLICATES of the KEYS!

Use that for ATBs (5oz) especially under SILVER 18,000; and for the First Lady Spouse coins under GOLD 5,000. And any other Gold Platinum precious metal coins that you can get in on the ground floor - that should go under that magic MINTED number: 5,000 with others to compare toward.

Oldmansmith likes this.
  17. tradeshack

tradeshack Seeker Seeker

As of: 5/26/2015

First Spouse JQ1 2015 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ - TRUMAN 1,710

First Spouse JQ2 2015 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ - TRUMAN 1,221

First Spouse JQ3 2015 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ - EISENHWR 1,808

First Spouse JQ4 2015 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ - EISENHWR 1,264

18. HistoryStudent

Already a year and a half on almost all the 2013s (McKinley, TR Roosevelt, Taft, & 2 Wilson's) with TR's PROOF sold out at 2,890 ish. Most of the UNCs
    are around 2,000 ish after all that TIME.

The 2014s are closing in at a year of sales with Harding on 7-10-15. Those UNCs are even worse around 1,600 ish now.

The dear folks are not buying these; and the resale prices on EBAY are very heavy in premiums.

There will be very few full sets even made not to mention for sale come 2017.

19. savvydon

Everyone has been quick to point out what a dud series this is. You and I both know that today's dud is tomorrow's rarity. Look at what the Pan Pac $50 gold coins sell for these days. I agree a complete set is going to be hard to come buy a couple of years from now. It won't take much of a bump in demand to exceed supply.

20. HistoryStudent

You are so right. Period. I was just at the Balboa Museum area in San Diego today dropping off my wife's art for her display.
    I was surprised to see their 1915 Historical article THERE about PAN AM at their museum in 1915! I smiled.

Most do not take the time to read Jordan's book and see what logic is behind the great coins of tomorrow.

Simply - low mintage, mixed with an iconic design, mixed with the "I MISSED IT!" mentality and combined with lots of ones to collect.

21. dpong

dpong Gold Member Gold Chaser

Welcome back, HS.

22. hernancortes

hernancortes Gold Member Gold Chaser

Still here and still snoozing away on this series, HS. Waiting for the perfect storm to arrive including 1) A new gold bull and hence a new numi bull 2) Mass melting of the common (relative to the series) coins 3) Renewed interest when the series is over and Jackie is off sale. All three of these need to happen if pyrotechnics are to occur. Myself I've given up on keeping current on the series by buying each one as they debut, but I believe I've stockpiled enough duplicates of the desirable coins in the series to be able to trade for the ones I don't have and thus build a complete unc set. A complete set may or may not be quite the status symbol many years down the road, but a guy can dream.

23. savvydon

That is a sobering but accurate reality check. There was a bit of fur flying when Bess Truman became unavailable, but now that she is back things are settling back down again right quick.

HistoryStudent and hernancortes like this.
  24. hernancortes

It's been pointed out that the mint has just pulled several of the 2013 spouse's from the catalog. Finally...?

25. b_cahill

b_cahill Seeker Seeker

I noticed that, too. McKinley and Edith Roosevelt are gone. It is starting to look as if each of the '13s might finish under 5,000 combined (PF & MS) mintage.

26. savvydon

Well I'll be!... They sure did that in stealth mode. It will be interesting to see how long they hang on to Taft and the Wilsons.

27. HistoryStudent

Beautiful update HERNANCORTES. As always you are still on YOUR professional game.

Watch the major currencies as they somewhat relate to gold. Especially the $.

These SPOUSES are now making US MINT HISTORY (student) as the LOWEST minted series in US history. Recently under 2,000 ish MINT STATE and 2,900 ish PROOFS.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  28. hernancortes

savvydon and HistoryStudent like this.
  29. HistoryStudent

Thanks HC well posted with the ice cream and frosting from you-know-where...

Read in BETWEEN the lines. Like Eric Jordan said in 2009 - it's not what sold but what they expect to sell.

Watch the entire 2014 and 2013 spouses for LOW numbers in UNC and PF.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  30. HistoryStudent

I've got a suspicion that they do not expect many sales except for KENNEDY 2.

He was #10 popular president - LBJ was #11.

[video]https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=suspicion+terry+stafford&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-003[/video]

Enjoy these coins THEY will do that to you...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  31. HistoryStudent

Remember HC the 1915 Pan-Am $50 coins (amazing rarity NOW around 1,300 total with 100 million US citizen population) was dead too at twice the price $50 coin for $100.

This was the celebration of the Panama Canal opening in 1909 via 1915 in both San Francisco and a smaller yet huge exhibit in San Diego same year.

Compare those figures with 330 million US citizen population and only 1,886 UNC and 2,337 PROOF SPOUSES for FDR Roosevelt Eleanor the most famous SPOUSE in American History.

Something rhymes here and the slow to wake-up will get it. May I ardently quote John Maben president and founder of MCM coins on his recent SPOUSES

2012 interview question:

Louis Golino: "What do you think about the First Spouses overall?"

John Maben: "I think they are intriguing. I believe they are VERY UNDER APPRECIATED NOW - but will SOMEDAY be a blatant MISSED Opportunity.
    (HS note = read Jordan's books)
    I also like the IDEA of a large SET of GOLD coins that are NOT quite COMMEMORATIVE
    (HS note = they never do good) and are NOT struck as BULLION issues EITHER.

So back to you HC =
    1: NEW GOLD BULL soon come 2016 ish.
    2: Mass melting has already occured but not yet noticed the populations are really out-of-whack according to reality.
    3: Jackie is a thing to happen; and her husband was a recent flop.
    4: I think HILLARY is the biggest thing coming down the pike no matter how you feel politically.
    She may insist BILLY BOB be on a coin....?

Here is a comment from another site:

****************************************************************************

TMMSR0127 says
    March 16, 2015 at 7:29 pm
    This is going to be a remarkable collection for those who had the foresight, resources, conviction, faith and dedication to see it through to the end. I just cant imagine that after all these years, the complete collection is going to come down to in or several coins which have mintages sub 2k. Congratulations to those collectors who have stayed the course!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  32. Chester-Copperpot

I hope all you First Spouse speculators are well rewarded in the end. I'm just glad I didn't start collecting these and need to keep up. Collecting the ATB series is as much speculating as I want to do.

HistoryStudent and savvydon like this.
  33. savvydon

I see the First Spouse Series in a similar vein as the collector ATBs. They are both unique but I think you have to appreciate them from a numi standpoint before you can brave them from a speculative one. I for one happen to think they are both great and collectors will be rewarded down the line. I wouldn't recommend them right now to anyone who wasn't already a true believer. 2c

34. HistoryStudent

savvydon:

Like you commented both sets aka series are UNIQUE - both are HUGE too! Numismatics standpoint is also taken into account.

The First Spouses are all in 24 kt. gold 1/2 ounce over almost a ten year period. They are INTERESTING for they are extremely under appreciated. They are NOT quite commemorative, but are looked at the same way. And they are not quite bullion issues like the Gold Eagles or Buffaloes either.

The 5 ounce SP Silver quarters are also over a many year period. They are also INTERESTING - some with very LOW silver type mintage to be taken into account if compared to the 1996 silver commemorative dollars.

Hawaii
    Acadia
    Denali
    were all under 15,300. Really low.

I buy anything under 5,000 US mintage in gold (and double up under 2,500) and under 20,000 US mintage in silver (and double and triple up under 15,000); but that's just me.

For I do trust "rule two" - (study the past history of human nature because it has not changed in 6,000 recorded years.)

And it has NOT.

The recent sales of 600 million dollars at the BIGGER coin auctions over the last 12 months prove that LOW mintage is STILL key - popularity was not
    their thing when made many years ago - and that's why they are rare today. Their populations in NGC & PCGS are really low.

Read Eric Jordan's book MODERN COMMEMORATIVE COINS many times.

savvydon likes this.
  35. HistoryStudent

DYODD

However, on the SPOUSES the US Mint posted recent sales. AND they are really down...

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/cumulativeSalesStatistics/

UNC first & PF second:

McKinley lost 9 & 82
    TR lost 48 & 50
    Taft lost 24 & gained 9
    Wilson 1 lost 36 & 129
    Wilson II lost 37 & 70

Harding lost 6 & 54
    Coolidge lost 16 & 83
    Hoover gained 7 & lost 36

Truman gained 27 & 15
    Eisenhower gained 17 & lost 15

This is an amazing series...

BALLPARK total is now ...

700 LOST (I feel like the Angels baseball team back from yesterday) and 75 GAINED...

These puppies are TOTALLY unpopular like the 1915 Pan-Am $50 gold pieces were in 1915;
    however today THOSE thingies - they are at $250,000.00 MS 68 each now...

Read Eric Jordan 1st book for they are still really cheap....

b_cahill likes this.
  36. CLSPORTS

CLSPORTS New Member

1915? So, you are saying I only need to wait 100 years for these 1st spouse coins to finally be appreciated? I am not sure I have that kind of time . . .

HistoryStudent and Scorpio like this.
  37. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

I am so out of my element on this stuff that I need to leave it to the pros to figure out,

I would just lose my keister playing in that sandbox,

38. hernancortes

The mint's more-or-less official 6-7-15 sales report finally shows the downward revision of 2014 PR coins I expected:
    most pertintent, Harding PR revised down to 2357 coins with 15 remaining in inventory as of this morning. Coolidge PR down to 2276 with 42 remaining in inventory as of this morning. To me it all proves that Eleanor will be unseated... by ALL of the other '14's.

HistoryStudent and savvydon like this.
  39. savvydon

I don't think it took 100 years for the Pan-Pac to climb in value. If time is short for you, perhaps an heir might reap the benefit?

40. hernancortes

To illustrate a point, one could've acquired a '95-W silver eagle for a net cost of $200-$300 in late '95. Eleven years later it was touching $5000.