1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Five sailors injured, 10 missing after ANOTHER U.S. Navy destroyer collides with a merchant ship

Discussion in 'Politics Forum (Local/National/World)' started by Goldhedge, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    Pulse charge weapon...?

Five sailors injured, 10 missing after U.S. Navy destroyer collides with a merchant ship

By Anna Fifield August 20 at 9:39 PM
    SEOUL — Ten U.S. Navy sailors are missing and five have been injured after the USS John S. McCain destroyer collided with an oil tanker near Singapore early Monday morning.

This is the second time in two months that a Navy destroyer based at the 7th Fleet’s home port of Yokosuka, Japan, has been involved in a collision. Seven sailors were killed when the USS Fitzgerald collided with a container ship south of Japan in June.

The guided missile destroyer and the Liberian-flagged merchant vessel Alnic MC collided near the Strait of Malacca at 5:24 a.m. local time, the Navy’s 7th Fleet said in a statement.

Initial reports indicated that the destroyer sustained damage to its port side at the rear, but is currently sailing under its own power and heading to port in Singapore.

“The extent of damage and personnel injuries is being determined,” the 7th Fleet said.

Search and rescue efforts are underway. U.S. Navy Seahawk helicopters and Ospreys have been mobilized, joining tugboats from Singapore, a Singapore navy ship and helicopters, and a Singapore police coast guard vessel.

“Our first priority is determining the safety of the ship and crew,” Adm. John Richardson, chief of naval operations, wrote via Twitter. “As more information is learned, we will share it.”

The 7th Fleet set up an emergency assistance center in Yokosuka for family members of the McCain crew.

President Trump, returning to the White House on Sunday night, responded to reporters’ questions about the collision by saying: “That’s too bad.”

The McCain, a 505-foot-long Arleigh Burke-class destroyer based at the 7th Fleet’s home port in Yokosuka, Japan, had been on its way to a routine port visit in Singapore. Shipping data showed that the Alnic, a 600-foot-long oil tanker with a dead weight of 50,760 tons, also was on its way to Singapore.

This collision comes just days after the Navy issued a report listing errors that led to a collision between the USS Fitzgerald — also a Yokosuka-based Arleigh Burke-class destroyer — and a much larger container ship just south of Japan in June.

The collision killed seven sailors, all of whom drowned in their berth compartments when the container ship struck the destroyer’s side.

917601, searcher and Son of Gloin like this.
  2. Goldhedge

Tech
    NY Times

10 Sailors Missing After U.S. Destroyer Collides With Oil Tanker Off Singapore

Photo
    [​IMG]
    The John S. McCain, an American guided-missile destroyer, near the Korean Peninsula in 2013. The vessel collided with an oil tanker on Monday morning off Singapore, the Navy said. CreditUnited States Navy, via Reuters

BANGKOK — Ten Navy sailors were missing and five were injured on Monday after a United States destroyer collided with an oil tanker off the coast of Singapore, the Navy said, the second accident involving a Navy ship and a cargo vessel in recent months.

The guided-missile destroyer, the John S. McCain, was passing through the Strait of Malacca on its way to a port visit in Singapore at 5:24 a.m. local time when it collided with the Alnic MC, a 600-foot vessel that transports oil and chemicals, the Navy said. The destroyer was damaged near the rear on its port, or left-hand, side.

Ten sailors on the ship were unaccounted for, and five others had minor injuries, a Navy official said. Ships with the Singapore Navy and helicopters from the assault ship America were searching the waters for survivors.

A photo of the destroyer showed a gaping hole in its side right at the waterline, but the ship did not appear to be listing.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    searcher likes this.
  3. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    What, again? We really need to get these guys some sort of radar thingy to stop this. These boats are expensive as hell to fix! Is it too much to ask that you and your buds just keep that billion dollar boat we gave you to use out of harm's way? Didn't they train you guys?

I know the wallet of the American public is bottomless but c'mon boys. You're givin' the Navy a bad name!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    TAEZZAR, Cigarlover and Uglytruth like this.
  4. Garyw

Garyw Am I a Retired Veteran or a Right Wing Fanatic? Silver Miner

tired and retired
    We got self driving cars now we got self driving ships?They named it properly

5. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Something sounds fishy with two military ships getting hit by commercial cargo ships only weeks apart. Incompetence? Maybe but that explanation would be too neat.

Question is what is the real truth?

917601, phoneman, TAEZZAR and 3 others like this.
  6. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Imagine that.. A John McCain sticking its nose where it doesn't belong, making a mess of things, and being responsible for the deaths of young service men.

Prayers for the missing kids.

7. Goldhedge

Tech
    How about this instead...

Remember how the Russian jets would come near our air space and the interceptors would scramble? Cat and mouse games....?

An electromagnetic pulse (EMP), also sometimes called a transient electromagnetic disturbance, is a short burst of electromagnetic energy. Such a pulse's origination may be a natural occurrence or man-made and can occur as a radiated, electric, or magnetic field or a conducted electric current, depending on the source.

EMP interference is generally disruptive or damaging to electronic equipment, and at higher energy levels a powerful EMP event such as a lightning strike can damage physical objects such as buildings and aircraft structures. The management of EMP effects is an important branch of electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) engineering.

Weapons have been developed to create the damaging effects of high-energy EMP. Misleading or incorrect information about such weapons, both real and fictional, have become known to the public by means of popular culture and some politicians' claims. Misleading information includes both exaggeration of EMP effects and downplaying the significance of the EMP threat.[1][2][3][4]

8. Goldhedge

Tech
    bump

9. Buck

Buck Fabian Society Gold Chaser

I'd second the guess at espionage / emp / something that interrupted it's navigation abilities

But coincide that with knowing an exact location of the two ships and corrupting one, or both, so they collide with another is quite a large expectation

IDK

Brain Damage?

Still, it's our sailors who are losing their lives unnecessarily

RIP

10. Juristic Person

Juristic Person They drew first blood Platinum Bling

Foul play here for sure. Twice is no accident...

mayhem, phoneman, Goldhedge and 3 others like this.
  11. mispillion

mispillion Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

seaman
    When I was in the uscg we always had a lookout stationed on the signal bridge. I wonder if this has changed with the more progressive military. Even in the merchant marine we now have an almost blind trust in electronic gadgetry. I doubt foul play, but suspect a huge lack in discipline and old style seamanship. If we suffer these losses in peacetime, it bodes ill for a shooting war with someone that could actually fight back.

Back in the mid 80s I rode the uss Seattle for a few unpleasant days as I was being transfered to a civmar ship off the Arabian coast. Morale was low and there was graffiti inside some of the spaces.

Straits of Malacca are very wide. We're not dealing with a tight spot. There are east - west traffic lanes. Just like the Japan incident, I would imagine that the Navy was screwing around, figuring the rules of the road don't apply to them.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  12. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

USS McCain Collision Exposes Singapore-Malaysia Sea Dispute

August 21, 2017 by Reuters

[​IMG]
    Malaysia Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) officer points to a hole in the USS John McCain to show the media in Putrajaya, Malaysia August 21, 2017. Photo by Edgar Su, Reuters

KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) – A collision between a U.S. warship and an oil tanker near the Straits of Malacca on Monday has shone a light on a territorial dispute that has simmered between neighbors Singapore and Malaysia for nearly 40 years.

The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain collided with merchant vessel Alnic MC to the east of Singapore, while heading to the city-state for a routine port call.

Related Book: Asia’s Cauldron: The South China Sea and the End of a Stable Pacific by Robert D. Kaplan

Ten U.S. sailors are missing and five were injured in the collision, which resulted in significant damage to the hull of the U.S. vessel and the flooding of some of its compartments.

Singapore and Malaysia both said the incident took place in their territorial waters, as the warship and oil tanker collided near the rocky outcrop of Pedra Branca, an area that has long been contested by both countries.

Both countries said they were leading the search and rescue operation for the missing sailors.

Singapore was once part of Malaysia but they separated acrimoniously in 1965, clouding diplomatic and economic dealings for years.

The International Court of Justice ruled in 2008 that Pedra Branca, which means “white rock” in Portuguese, belonged to Singapore and a nearby feature called Middle Rocks belonged to Malaysia.

Malaysia sought a review of the ruling this year, reopening the dispute.

The Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) said it was notified just before dawn of the collision in “Singapore territorial waters” in the Singapore Strait, and Singapore was leading the search and rescue operations.

Malaysia insisted that the incident happened in its waters, just miles off its southern state of Johor.

Malaysia’s navy chief, Admiral Ahmad Kamarulzaman Ahmad Badaruddin, told Reuters the KD Handalan was the first to respond to the distress call from the U.S. ship.

“KD Handalan was just three miles from the USS McCain when it first received the distress call,” he said.

Malaysia’s Maritime Enforcement Agency Director General Zulkifili Abu Bakar told reporters Malaysia disputed Singapore’s assertion that the accident happened in its waters.

He said the Malaysian search and rescue operation was independent of Singapore’s and Malaysia had not communicated with its neighbor about the incident.

“What is important is, we do not want to have another collision between assets on the ground,” Zulkifili said. “For the time being, we shouldn’t be arguing about whose waters it is, the most important thing is to focus on search and rescue.”

The Malaysian navy assigned four vessels and a Super Lynx helicopter for the search and rescue, while the Malaysian armed forces and maritime authorities also deployed more assets. The Indonesian navy said it had deployed two warships.

The U.S. Navy said Singapore and U.S. assets were involved in search and rescue, but made no reference to Malaysian or Indonesian assets.

For a graphic on the collision, click: here

(Story refiles to fix day of the week in paragraph one.)

Additional reporting by Sam Holmes in Singapore; Writing by A. Ananthalakshmi

Filed Under: Navy Tagged With: malaysia, Strait of Malacca, USS McCain

http://gcaptain.com/uss-mccain-collision-exposes-singapore-malaysia-sea-dispute/

13. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

I agree.

There is no replacement for eyes ! I have spent 3 days at sea, a hundred miles off shore in my little sportfishing boat. I have GPS & radar, BUT eyes, when properly used, are the best surviellance device that there is.
    Any & all electronics can fail, period ! I remeber hearing that the navy removed compasses from their ships, thinking that the electronics were better, WRONG !!!

A friend of mine took a civilian ride on a navy ship from Hawaii to San diego & said the moral was dismal. This could be a big part of the problem.

In short, there is absolutely no excuse for these collisions, other than incompetence &/or a "who gives a shit" attitude.

14. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    It looks like an intentional ramming to me. They both do! Are we seeing another 9/11 attack in slow motion by the globalists to discredit the US. We should be better at defending and protecting our ships than this! Something doesn't smell right yet again!

phoneman likes this.
  15. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

I don't see that at all. Our navy ships have far better collision avoidance systems than that. They are just NOT using their resources !!!

This is what is available to ALL ships, so what do you think our navy has ???

https://www.informationvine.com/ind...el tracking&dqi=&am=modifiedbroad&an=google_s

D-FENZ likes this.
  16. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

I'd say it's probably the quality of the people. They may have more focus on LGBTQ night on the messdecks than training and getting their Enlisted Surface Warfare pin...just saying.

TAEZZAR and stonedywankanobe like this.
  17. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

I may be wrong, but I believe that the 2 USN ships taken out by freighters are capable of launching the SM-3 ABM capable of area protection from ballistic missiles. This might be a strategic attack on the US as well...

18. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Apparently not enough!

19. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    That's my guess too. Taking out a number of the enemy's key strategic assets is always a good strategy before an attack. I looked at the tracking information of that container ship that hit the last frigate and the path the container ship took to eventually collide with the navy ship seems very very unusual to any normal person. But then again, nothing is normal any longer. Up is down and down is up! Peace is war! Good is bad!

1984!

20. mispillion

seaman
    Just discussed the incident with the captain. His take is he believes that the US military vessels do not show up on a.i.s. he said most merchants no longer rely on radar, but focus on the a.i.s. he admits to being guilty of this. So the question is do the US naval vessels use a.i.s. and is a lookout still used? The captain then questioned whether the foreign navy's use a.i.s. I said that I did not know, however most other navies are where they fukkin belong, in their own nations waters. He agreed with that assessment.

21. Tbonz

Tbonz Gold Member Gold Chaser

Just a WAG, they were hacked.

There's no damn way that they were just "run into."

China playing games, we are in a very bad situation. Democruds gutted the military, there was a reason.

mayhem and phoneman like this.
  22. mispillion

seaman
    It is impossible for a tanker to intentionally hit an underway can. It would be equivalent to a manatee ramming a dolphin. Really, think about it guys.

23. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I'm leaning towards GPS being spoofed. Iranians have shown mastery of this and we know the NorKs are good buddies with the Iranians. Put two and two together.

24. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    :ponder:

25. latemetal

latemetal Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Are we wrecking our own ships? Have we decided these are obsolete and this is a quick and dirty way to get them out of action?

26. mispillion

seaman
    My captain on the tug I work on. Not the soon to be royally reamed navy captain.

the_shootist likes this.
  27. Goldhedge

Tech
    Obviously, we need more money for the military

28. searcher

Were they hacked? US Navy to investigate whether BOTH warships that crashed into much larger merchant vessels with deadly results were the victims of a cyber attack
    • Admiral says Navy will 'consider' possibility that crashed ships were hacked
    • Adds that there are 'no indications' of hacking at this point in investigation
    • Broad investigation into the Pacific-based 7th Fleet ordered after second crash
    • USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker near Singapore early Monday
    • 10 American sailors are now missing as search and rescue mission continues
    • It is the second major collision in two months involving the Navy's 7th Fleet
    • Seven died in June when USS Fitzgerald and a container ship collided off Japan

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4811516/US-Navy-consider-crashed-warships-hacked.html#ixzz4qTgo1ae4
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

29. searcher

USS John S. McCain Arrives in Singapore After Collision; Photos Show Extent of Damage

August 21, 2017 by Mike Schuler

[​IMG]
    Tugboats from Singapore assist the guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) as it steers towards Changi Naval Base, Republic of Singapore following a collision with the merchant vessel, August 21, 2017. U.S. Navy Photo

Update: Search Continues for Missing John S. McCain Sailors

The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain arrived pier side at Changi Naval Base in Singapore on Monday after it was involved in a collision with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while underway east of the Straits of Malacca and Singapore.

The collision was reported at 6:24 a.m. Japan Standard Time on August 21. Significant damage to the hull resulted in flooding to nearby compartments, including crew berthing, machinery, and communications rooms, the Navy said. Damage control efforts by the crew halted further flooding.

Photos of the damage show a large hole above and below the waterline on the port side aft.

The guided-missile destroyer was able to reach port under its own power.

[​IMG]
    U.S. Navy Photo
    [​IMG]
    U.S. Navy Photo
    [​IMG]
    The U.S. Navy guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain is seen after a collision, in Singapore waters August 21, 2017. Photo by Ahmad Masood/Reuters

There are currently 10 Sailors missing and five injured. Four of the injured were medically evacuated by a Singapore Armed Forces helicopter to a hospital in Singapore for non-life threatening injuries. The fifth injured Sailor does not require further medical attention.

[​IMG]
    U.S. Navy Photo
    [​IMG]
    The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) arrives pier side at Changi Naval Base, Republic of Singapore, August 21, 2017.

Alnic MC is a Liberian-flagged 600-foot oil and chemical tanker with a gross tonnage of 30,000. The ship is 183 meters in length and 32.2 meters in beam. It was built in 2008.

[​IMG]
    MT Alnic MC. File photo: MarineTraffic.com/John Wilson

The following is a statement released Aug. 21 by Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer on USS John S. McCain:

Our thoughts and prayers are with our shipmates onboard USS John S. McCain. The Navy family comes together during times of crisis and I want to thank those who are providing around-the-clock assistance to the affected Sailors and families.

As details continue to emerge, we can be proud of the heroic effort by the crew to tend to the needs of those injured and save the ship from further damage while returning safely to port.

I also want to express my appreciation to the government of Singapore for their swift support and assistance during this time of need.

The United States Navy will fully investigate the cause of this incident and I ask all of you to keep the families of John S. McCain in your thoughts and prayers as we begin the task of answering the many questions before us.

The amphibious assault ship USS America (LHA 6) arrived at Changi Naval Base and will provide messing and berthing services to McCain crew members and to support damage control efforts on board. America will also support ongoing searches for 10 missing Sailors. Ship Repair Facility divers are on scene as well to assess the damage to the hull.

#BREAKING: Statement from @CNORichardson on #USSJohnSMcCain collision. Operational pause and comprehensive reviewed directed. pic.twitter.com/OQFy0RGEAu

— U.S. Navy (@USNavy) August 21, 2017

The Navy said search and rescue efforts continue in coordination with local authorities. The Republic of Singapore Fearless-class patrol ships RSS Gallant (97), RSS Resilience (82), and Singaporean Police Coast Guard vessel Basking Shark (55) are in the area rendering assistance.

Additionally, MH-60S helicopters and MV-22 Ospreys from the amphibious assault ship USS America (LHA 6) are in the area providing search and rescue assistance.

An Emergency Family Assistance Center has been established for USS #USSJohnSMcCain family members. pic.twitter.com/AHqnEDlCgd

— 7th Fleet (@US7thFleet) August 21, 2017

Families who do not live on base should call 011-81-46-816-1728 (international); families who live on base should call 315-243-1728 (DSN).

Thoughts & prayers are w/ our @USNavy sailors aboard the #USSJohnSMcCain where search & rescue efforts are underway. https://t.co/DQU0zTRXNU

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 21, 2017

Filed Under: News Tagged With: uss John McCain

http://gcaptain.com/uss-john-mccain-arrives-in-singapore-after-collision/

30. searcher

US Navy Loss Of The USS Guardian, 2 Patrol Boats, USS Fitzgerald and USS McCain. Why Does The List Keeps Going?

August 21, 2017 by Editorial

[​IMG]
    Newly Commissioned US Navy and USMC officers after graduating from SUNY Maritime College, Bronx New York. Image via SUNY Maritime

By CDR Joe Tenaglia, USN (Ret) – Four ships in four years – not to mention USS Antietam grounding and the USS Fitzgerald collision – apparently due to breakdowns in seamanship, something is wrong.

Having served for a combined 36 years in the Navy and the civilian Military Sealift Command, I have had the opportunity to compare both systems of grooming deck watch standers. In my opinion the surface Navy expects too much too soon from its surface junior officers.

Related Book: It’s Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy by D. Michael Abrashoff

Initial sea tours on Navy combatants is an exercise in surviving a pressure cooker. One has to be a division officer (sailors and equipment), bridge, engineering , in-port watch standers, finish surface warfare qualifications, navigate constantly around the globe in ever changing environment, while trying to get ones feet on the ground. Standing watch on the bridge is Often a break from the endless work. SWO’s brag about lack of sleep and constant fatigue. They are known to eat their young. I did it so why can’t you is the mentality. With a reduced Navy the deployments never cease. Most cannot wait to get off the ship. In this environment people break down.

In officer accession programs surface skills are not considered sexy like aviation, submarines, or special ops. In fact the surface navy is too often the last choice for many new officers. Seamanship is not the focus of officer training programs. Aviators are not expected to get familiar with the plane and then learn on the job to see if they can do it.

Contrast that with a merchant marine licensed officer. Most 3rd mate sea tours consist of 8hrs/day of bridge watch standing only, protected by rest/work rules. While challenging the environment is much more benign, not as fast paced and most of the senior licensed officers have many years of experience of focused at sea experience to draw on and time to mentor young cadets one-on-one.

Merchant Marine Academies and licensing requirements focus on seamanship skills to pass the rigorous USCG licensing exams, Summer sea tours focus on learning navigation skills, not so with Navy. New 3rds, make six figure salaries and are compensated well with OT. They serve an average four months at sea then go home, usually for more training but they are not living on the pressure cooker, which is the ship.

There are many similarities and many differences between the Navy and Merchant Marine. Each can learn from each other. Maybe new Surface Officers should spend their first two years at sea in a watch standing role to learn navigation, weapons warfare skills and engineering. Running a division of sailors is onerous by itself for a 20 something if only because of the paperwork requirements to take care of your people.

A requirement for surface officers to prepare for and pass the 3rd mate USCG licensing exam is excellent preparation for seamanship skills.

There is something wrong in the surface navy, this is the fourth seamanship disaster in as many years, with the loss of a USN minesweeper on a reef in the Phillipines, capture of two USN patrol boats in Iranian waters, now the collisions of two DDG’s, which are a mainstay of our sea based anti-missile capability at the height of tensions with North Korea (I could go on).

Slow things down, allowing time time for junior surface officers to gain more experience and emphasis on basic seamanship skills may be an answer. They are expected to do too much too soon, and all the technology in the world does not solve that.

Joe Tenaglia is a former Special Operations Officer with a specialty in Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Intelligence, Counter-Terrorism. and Maritime Security. He graduated from Pennsylvania State University after completing a 4-year NROTC program and was commissioned as a Naval Officer. He was qualified as a Surface Warfare Officer, Navy Diver, Naval Parachutist, Master EOD Technician, Intelligence Specialist, and a marine ammunition logistician . He retired as a Commander with over 20 years of distinguished service. Since his retirement from active duty he has served as an Anti-Terrorist Training Officer for the Military Sealift Command. He specialized in training licensed and unlicensed crews, military and law enforcement personnel in maritime anti-terrorism measures and response, shipboard security tactics, basic small arms and compliance with ISPS/MTSA security regulations. He can be reached at jtenaglia01@gmail.com

Filed Under: Blog Tagged With: editorial, U.S. Navy, USS Fitzgerald, uss John McCain

http://gcaptain.com/us-navy-loss-us...s-uss-fitzgerald-uss-mccain-list-keeps-going/

31. searcher

U.S. Navy Announces Fleet-Wide Probe In Wake of Major Accidents

August 21, 2017 by Reuters

[​IMG]
    Guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) moored pier side at Changi Naval Base, Republic of Singapore following a collision with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while underway east of the Straits of Malacca and Singapore on Aug. 21. U.S. Navy Photo

SINGAPORE/WASHINGTON, Aug 21 (Reuters) – The U.S. Navy announced on Monday a fleet-wide probe and plans for temporary halts in operations to focus on safety, as it searched for 10 sailors missing after the fourth major accident in the U.S. Pacific fleet this year.

The guided-missile destroyer John S. McCain and the tanker Alnic MC collided on Monday while the warship was nearing Singapore for a routine port call. The collision tore a hole in the warship’s waterline, flooding compartments that included a crew sleeping area, the U.S. Navy said.

“Initial reports indicate John S. McCain sustained damage to her port side aft,” it said in a statement. “There are currently 10 sailors missing and five injured.”

U.S. Chief of Naval Operations Admiral John Richardson said there were no indications so far the collision was intentional or the result of cyber intrusion or sabotage. “But review will consider all possibilities,” he said on Twitter.

Richardson told reporters said he was asking his fleet commanders worldwide for a one-to-two-day staggered “operational pause” to discuss action to ensure safe and effective operations. He envisaged this could begin within a week.

Richardson said a comprehensive review would examine the training of U.S. forces deployed to Japan “to make sure we are doing everything we can to make them ready for operations and warfighting.”

This would include looking at “operational tempo, trends in personnel, materiel, maintenance and equipment.”

The review would be conducted on “a very tight timeline” Richardson said, adding: “We need to get to the bottom of this.”

JUNE INCIDENT
    The John S. McCain’s sister ship, the Fitzgerald, almost sank off the coast of Japan after colliding with a Philippine container ship on June 17. The bodies of seven U.S. sailors were found in a flooded berthing area after that collision.

The U.S. Navy said last week it had removed the two senior officers and the senior enlisted sailor on the Fitzgerald following an investigation into that collision.

Retired Admiral James Stavridis, a former NATO supreme commander, said the need for an operational pause and the loss of two front-line ballistic missile defense destroyers for months was “deeply worrisome,” especially at a time of high tensions with North Korea.

“The Navy has some real soul-searching ahead, and this appears to be a systemic failure of some kind,” he said.

Mac Thornberry, the Republican chairman of the U.S. House Armed Services Committee, said the latest collision was the fourth major accident within the U.S. Pacific Fleet this year and highlighted funding cuts and the time crews spent at sea.

“Congress has a duty to provide our sailors with the additional resources they so clearly need, and to do so immediately,” he said in a statement.

In May, a South Korean fishing vessel collided with the guided missile cruiser Lake Champlain. Another guided-missile cruiser, Antietam, damaged its propellers in January while anchoring in Tokyo Bay.

The John S. McCain is named for the father and grandfather of U.S. Republican Senator John McCain, who were both admirals. McCain, the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, is undergoing treatment for brain cancer.

“My thoughts and prayers continue to be with the sailors and families of the USS John McCain and USS Fitzgerald,” he said in a statement, in which he called for an investigation that delivered full transparency and accountability.

U.S. President Donald Trump tweeted: “Thoughts & prayers are w/ our @USNavy sailors aboard the #USSJohnSMcCain where search & rescue efforts are underway.”

TENSE TIME
    The accidents have come at a tense time.

This month, the John S. McCain sailed within 12 nautical miles of an artificial island built by China in the South China Sea, the latest operation to counter what the United States sees as China’s efforts to control the waters.

Also this month North Korea threatened to fire ballistic missiles towards the U.S. Pacific territory of Guam after Trump said he would unleash “fire and fury” if Pyongyang threatened the United States.

The Navy said significant damage to the John S. McCain’s hull caused flooding to berthing, machinery, and communications rooms. But the crew was able to stop the flooding, and the ship reached Singapore’s Changi Naval Base under its own power.

Singaporean, Malaysian and Indonesian ships and aircraft joined the search for the missing sailors, the U.S. Navy said.

Four of those hurt were taken to a hospital in Singapore with non-life threatening injuries. The fifth needed no further treatment.

Reuters video footage from the Singapore Strait showed an area of impact about 6 meters (20 ft) wide in the John S. McCain’s port side.

A crew member on the Alnic MC told Reuters there was some damage to a valve, but no oil spilled from the Liberian-flagged, 183-meter-long (600-ft) tanker, which was carrying almost 12,000 tonnes of fuel oil from Taiwan to Singapore.

Singapore’s Maritime and Port Authority said no injuries were reported on the Alnic, which suffered some damage above the waterline.

The waterways around Singapore are some of the busiest in the world, carrying about a third of global shipping trade.

Ben Stewart, commercial manager of Maritime Asset Security and Training in Singapore, said early indications suggested the warship may have turned across the front of the tanker.

(Additional reporting by Henning Gloystein and Jessica Jaganathan, Aradhana Aravindan, Karishma Singh and Sam Holmes in SINGAPORE, Tim Kelly in TOKYO, Joseph Sipalan and Rozanna Latiff in KUALA LUMPUR, Kanupriya Kapoor in JAKARTA, Idrees Ali in Amman and David Brunnstrom, Mike Stone, David Alexander, John Walcott and and Lesley Wroughton in WASHINGTON; Writing by Lincoln Feast; Editing by Paul Simao and Cynthia Osterman)

(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017.

Filed Under: News Tagged With: U.S. Navy, USS Fitzgerald, uss John McCain

http://gcaptain.com/u-s-navy-announces-fleet-wide-probe-following-major-accidents/

32. searcher

Red Over Red, The Failure Of U.S. Navy Leadership

August 21, 2017 by John Konrad

[​IMG]
    Chief of Naval Personnel Vice Adm. William “Bill” Moran who said that in total close to a dozen sailors aboard the USS Fitzgerald would face administrative punishment. (U.S. Navy photo by Gary Nichols/Released)

You gotta challenge all assumptions. If you don’t, what is doctrine on day one becomes dogma forever after.Colonel John Boyd, USAF

By Captain John Konrad (gCaptain) Last week the Secretary of the U.S. Navy released a 41 page inquiry report on the “Deaths of Seven Sailors Aboard The USS Fitzgerald” alongside comments from the Navy leadership which fail to discuss the cause of the tragedy and blames both vessels for exhibiting “poor seamanship” in the moments leading up to the collision. The inquiry continues with damage photos, diagrams, an emotionally heart wrenching narrative and overwhelming praise for the damage control efforts of (mostly) enlisted sailors among her crew.

The question is… why was this document released and to what benefit? The answer is that this document was written and released for one primary purpose: Public Relations.

Decades ago each major media outlet had dock reporters; journalists who wrote exclusively on maritime affairs and had an extensive list of high level maritime contacts as well as a working knowledge of ships. Today I only know of one journalist with this background, Carl Nolte of the San Francisco Chronicle. All the rest are generalists who are too easily confused by complicated facts and too susceptible to emotional triggers. As Ryan Holiday, author of “Trust Me, I’m Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator” says in this bestselling book… “today’s most effective public relations firms oversimplify facts and compensate by giving the public what it craves: an emotionally compelling story.

The US Navy’s “Deaths of Seven Sailors Aboard The USS Fitzgerald” is just that, the vapid telling of a story about a few brave and honorable sailors fighting floods, destruction and death itself with a cursory acknowledgement of fault. It does nothing to prevent future collisions at sea and everything to send the message to the fleet that mistakes will not be tolerated and junior officers will be punished.

As a work of fiction it would be praised for pitting man against machine and for well painted characters – with strong wills and moral courage – placed in extraordinary circumstances to save the lives of shipmates and friends. But this is not a work of fiction or, at least, it is not supposed to be. It is supposed to be a preliminary investigation report filled with hard facts and harder questions that remain unanswered. This report contains very little of either.

I have no doubt that the ad hominem attacks directed at myself and gCaptain from US military personnel will continue. Like the report, they are devoid of meaning and attempt to engage the emotions. I will not apologize. No one should apologize for being right. Also unlikely is that I will ever apologize for saying this: the Navy has blamed the wrong people.

Last week, after releasing the report, Admiral Bill Moran, deputy chief of naval operations, told reporters the ship’s commanding officer, executive officer and master chief petty officer would be removed from the vessel because “we’ve lost trust and confidence in their ability to lead.” Moran said that, in total, close to a dozen sailors would face administrative punishment and left open the possibility for further action. But are the USS Fitzgerald’s officers and even some of the enlisted members at fault for not being able to avoid a relatively slow and highly unmaneuverable unarmed merchant ship? Are they at fault for the deaths of seven sailors? I do not believe they are.

It is maritime tradition which states the Captain is the primary party at fault for all failures aboard ship and for good reason. But maritime tradition does not extend blame down the ranks and not to non-commissioned officers like the USS Fitzgerald’s master chief petty officer who has been removed by Admiral Moran.

Those who are responsible for the events leading up to the collision, not just those involved in the collision, are those who steered the naval fleet towards these errors. The U.S. Navy has experienced four major failures in navigation this year alone. The men who are cumulatively responsible for these incidents are the same men who are responsible for other troublesome oversights, like the widespread and pervading ignorance of US Naval Officers as to how merchant ships operate at sea. These men have not been called to face “administrative punishment”. At the very least they include Adm. John Richardson, Adm. Bill Moran, Admiral Scott Swift and, the author of the Damage Control Inquiry, Rear Adm. Charles Williams.

With four collisions in under ten months, when is the Navy going to “lose confidence” in it’s own ability to decide who should be in command?

Those I interviewed for this article who defend the inquiry point to the fact that this document was not written to find the cause of the collision nor was it written to cast blame. It was written as the result of an investigation to evaluate the crew’s damage control activities.

This is a poor excuse. If this document has nothing to do with the collision itself then why release it alongside statements conceding “poor seamanship” and a loss of faith in leadership ability of the ship’s officers?

If the document is supposed to provide a focused look at “the crew’s damage control activities” then why is it so lacking in information about the challenges and failures the crew experienced after the incident?

Numerous problems of significant scope and size where barely mentioned in the report. Major problems, such as number 16: “The collision resulted in a loss of external communication and a loss of power in the forward portion of the ship”, are not explained at all. The most basic of commercial ships are required to have redundant emergency power systems. How then does half of the complex ship loose power completely? More importantly, why is this not explained? What lessons learned about this power loss could have been transmitted to the USS McCain? And how, in 2017, when any civilian can purchase a handheld Iridium satellite phone for less than the price of the latest iPhone and a portable EPIRB for much less, could the communications system of a US Naval warship be so damaged and the ship’s leadership so shaken, that it takes the ship a full thirty minutes to transmit a Mayday (via Cell Phone no less)?

Another important question that goes unanswered is… did the damage control efforts result in a reduced situational awareness after the collision? If not then why did it take two and a half hours to identify the name of the ship they collided with? What would have happened to damage control efforts if this had been a terrorist attack or enemy combatant?

Those facts are not even the most troubling. Both the civilian and military continue to fail to consider the design and construction of the ship itself. No experts from the vessel’s builder, Bath Iron Works, or the architect or the Admirals in charge of approving the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer design were mentioned. The report completely fails to mention the damage control done aboard the ACX Crystal because that ship suffered relatively minor damage. What design and construction tradeoffs were made that resulted in a the hull of a billion dollar warship having much less intrinsic strength than a Korean built containership that was delivered for a fraction of the cost?

Where is the independent analysis? Were damage control experts from the Japanese Navy consulted? What about the Japanese Coast Guard? Did salvage masters take a look? Where are the stability calculations? Where is the Coast Guard report? Perhaps these will all follow in the full report, but I doubt it. A comparable civilian report would contain testimony from dozens of the top experts in their field and nearly every organization associated with both vessels would be invited to participate. Because, one thing we have learned during the past few centuries is this: no organization can work alone, no ship owner – not Olympic Steamship, not Tote and certainly not the US Navy – can be 100% objective when investigating itself. Any attempt to do so is the result of ignorance or corruption or both.

Will these questions be answered in Admiral Richardson’s upcoming review? The one he has ordered to be conducted on “a very tight timeline” because “We need to get to the bottom of this.” These questions are certainly not on his short list of priorities which include looking at “operational tempo, trends in personnel, material, maintenance and equipment.

And why has Admiral Richardson said that a comprehensive review would examine the training of U.S. forces deployed to Japanto make sure we are doing everything we can to make them ready for operations and warfighting“? Are training and systems different for sailors serving in Japan? Has he talked to American merchant mariners assigned around the world who see a global pattern of problems?

Now before my inbox is flooded by another deluge of angry email I do want to say that the contents of the report are important. The damage control team absolutely deserves to be commended for their bravery, exceptional skill and unwavering dedication to their shipmates. Many well deserved medals will likely be given to USS Fitzgerald sailors. And that is exactly where the emotionally heart wrenching contents of this report belongs, inside public letters of commendation given to these sailors, not in an official preliminary incident report.

Official reports need hard information, important data and straight forward acknowledgment of the failures experienced by a heroic crew. This report contains very little… and no lessons learned which could have been of use to the crew of the USS McCain.

This incident, like all maritime incidents before it, was the result of an insidious compilation of events (e.g. AIS systems or steering gear malfunctions) coupled in time with human mistakes and failure. But the mistakes of the junior officers pale in comparison to the mistakes made by senior Naval leadership (e.g. ignoring the concerns of junior officers and American merchant mariners) and, unlike the chain of command above Master, many of those junior officers are young and have time left in their career to learn from those mistakes and share them after being reassigned to another place in the fleet.

That is, if they were given the chance. Given the current leadership’s lack of “confidence in their ability,” that chance appears to be highly unlikely.

Filed Under: Collision, Interesting, Navy Tagged With: U.S. Navy, USS Fitzgerald, USS McCain

http://gcaptain.com/editorial-red-red-us-naval-leadership-not-command/

TAEZZAR likes this.
  33. searcher

Video, Photos Show Collision Damage to USS John McCain as Ship Arrives in Singapore
    https://news.usni.org/2017/08/21/ph...ip-arrives-singapore-10-sailors-still-missing

VIDEO: CNO Announces Operational Pause, Investigation Following USS John McCain Collision
    https://news.usni.org/2017/08/21/vi...stigation-following-uss-john-mccain-collision

Chain of Incidents Involving U.S. Navy Warships in the Western Pacific Raise Readiness, Training Questions
    https://news.usni.org/2017/08/21/ch...ern-pacific-raise-readinesstraining-questions

34. searcher

35. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
  36. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
  37. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    This actually strengthens my theory that these collisions are intentional in order to disable key strategic resources in the area in advance of some action against US interests. Take out a couple of cans and that effectively silences all their missiles from the region! These 'accidents' seem mundane on the surface but nothing is as it seems these days.

michael59 likes this.
  38. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Also to be considered is that maybe the tanker is hacked the same way. Nothing but screws turning in the water and no way to steer?

the_shootist likes this.
  39. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Strange times we live in. Stay alert and ready for anything.....we just might get it!

michael59 likes this.
  40. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I'm no expert nor pretend to be, but from the close-up photos of the damage to the USS John S. McCain it looks to have been dead in the water when it was hit. Was it anchored?

nowon likes this.