1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Flu season is raging and family gatherings may make it worse

Discussion in 'Alt Medicine/Coll Silver' started by abeland1, Dec 22, 2017.

1. abeland1

abeland1 Silver Member Silver Miner

Flu activity in the United States has really taken off, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Friday.
    A number of modeling experts the agency works with are predicting that this year’s flu season will peak around the end of this month, Dr. Daniel Jernigan, head of the agency’s influenza division, told STAT.
    That means lots of people will be sick over the holidays; lots already are. And the multi-generational family gatherings that are part and parcel of the holidays will fuel the spread of the nasty virus.
    “Thinking about folks that are traveling right now, it would be fruitful for them to know that flu could be traveling with them,” Jernigan said.
    The CDC reports weekly — on Fridays — on the status of flu activity during the season. There is a one-week lag in the data, so Friday’s snapshot reflected how things stood through the week that ended Dec. 16.
    The graph of outpatient illness surveillance — which records the portion of people who sought health care because of flu-like symptoms — shot up from the previous week and appears to be on the same trajectory as the 2014-15 flu season, which also started early and was a severe year.
    The most recent data show flu is raging in 23 states, compared to 12 states the previous week.
    “We’re continuing to see an increase — and a pretty sizeable one,’’ said Dr. Alicia Budd, an epidemiologist in the Jernigan’s division.
    But that curve only tells you there’s a lot of flu around, Jernigan warned. It is not an indicator of the severity of the flu season.
    This year could well be a severe year. The viruses causing most of the illness right now are from an influenza A family called H3N2. Those viruses are especially hard on older people and H3 seasons generally are more severe that seasons when H1N1 or influenza B viruses are dominant.
    Unfortunately the H3N2 component of the flu shot is an under-performer, often offering protection that is in the 30 percent range. (The other components more commonly offer between 50 percent and 70 percent protection.) So even people who have been vaccinated may find themselves coming down with flu, Jernigan said.
    “But clearly, it’s enough for us to say [to] everybody who’s getting ready to go and visit their grandmother and their families in the next few weeks, that from these data, it indicates that there may be a fair amount of flu circulating around that time.”

He suggested people who are sick should do their relatives and friends a favor and stay home from holiday gatherings. “If you know you have flu, it is really important to not share that, especially with those who are at highest risk of severe disease,” he said.
    The CDC is urging health care professionals to be aware of the fact that even vaccinated patients may get the flu this year, Jernigan said. Patients who have other health conditions that predispose them to getting very sick when they contract influenza should be prescribed anti-viral drugs, he said.

Helen Branswell
    Senior Writer, Global Health

2. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

The flu is not a disaster. Just keep taking your vitamin C and D. If you feel flu symptoms, increase your C. NO. BIG. DEAL.

spinalcracker and the_shootist like this.
  3. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    raging???

4. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Every one I know is a tad sick but as per physically sick, naw. K, all funnies aside I have a female friend (no not that way,) anywhoo she gets that flu shot every year and damm if she don't get the flu, amazing.

So the girl has been down sick with something for the last two days, two of my other friends (a couple) have had a touch of something and me? Why I am the epiphany of instability as far as body health goes, yes I have been fighting an ear infucktion for a while and soon it will end in a torrent of "ghee-hawds can I just die now?" good to know this will happen at the end of the month as timing is everything. Thanks abeland1....at least I can plan ahead now.

5. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Here's what y'all need:
    Elderberry Syrup.JPG
    First onset of symptoms and you take a tablespoonful of this and then another every eight hours or so until it kills off your sickness. Then a maintenance spoonful in the AM and before you go to bed for the rest of the week. Usually stops the progress of the flue for me and reduces the symptoms dramatically the first day and keeps them at bay. And by the end of a week they are mostly gone and I'm recovered.

YMMV,
    BF

6. arminius

arminius Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

420 healer
    That means don't walk, RUN down to your local Walgreens and get your shot before the flue gets YOU...

BigJim#1-8 likes this.
  7. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    :belly laugh:

TAEZZAR likes this.
  8. abeland1

abeland1 Silver Member Silver Miner

From Cate Sibley, PharmD
    Elderberries, have been used for thousands of years as both medicine and in food. Elderberries are thought to prevent or shorten the duration of herpes outbreaks, decrease pain and inflammation, and reduce symptoms of upper respiratory infections. Many people consider the elderberry plant one of the most powerful for preventing and treating colds and influenza and swear by its antiviral properties. The results of some studies show that elderberries do indeed have significant benefits against cold and influenza symptoms.
    In one placebo-controlled, double-blind study conducted by Israeli virologist Dr. Madeleine Mumcuoglu, 93.3% of the people taking an elderberry preparation reported significant improvement in influenza symptoms within 2 days of starting it, compared with the 6 days it took for the placebo group to see improvement. 1
    In another randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study performed in Norway, researchers gave either a placebo syrup or elderberry syrup to patients who reported having flu-like symptoms for less than 48 hours. The results were similar to Dr. Mumcuoglu’s results. On average, the patients who received the elderberry syrup saw relief of symptoms 4 days earlier than the group that received the placebo syrup. As an added benefit, the patients in the elderberry syrup group reported taking significantly fewer over-the-counter medications in hopes of symptom relief. 2
    Researchers also have found that people who have taken elderberries have higher levels of antibodies against the influenza virus, showing that not only may the berry be able to treat flu symptoms, it may also be able to prevent influenza infection. 3
    So how are elderberries thought to work as an antiviral? There are probably many mechanisms of action, but a prime one is that elderberries contain hemagglutinin protein. This protein has been shown to stop a virus’ capability to replicate by inhibiting its ability to penetrate the cell wall, thereby preventing the virus from causing infection if taken before exposed. If elderberries are taken after infection, that keeps the virus from spreading, which reduces the duration of influenza symptoms.
    Are elderberries safe? It seems that the elderberry plant is generally safe for most people. Eating the raw seed can lead to nausea and vomiting for those who eat too many of them, however. And beware of commercial powders, as some have been reported to cause vomiting because they may contain the seeds.
    For those who don't have a local source or would rather not make their own, pre-made elderberry tinctures and syrups are plentiful online, too. Follow the directions on the label of whichever product is purchased.
    All in all, elderberries could be a great option for patients to add to their medicine cabinets to prevent and treat cold and flu symptoms.
    References
    1. Zakay-Rones Z, Varsano N, Zlotnik M, et al. Inhibition of several strains of influenza virus in vitro and reduction of symptoms by an elderberry extract (Sambucus Nigra L.) during an outbreak of Influenza B Panama. J Altern Complement Med. 1995;1(4):361–9.
    2. Zakay-Rones Z, Thom E, Wollan T, Wadstein J. Randomized study of the efficacy and safety of oral elderberry extract in the treatment of Influenza A and B virus infections.” J Int Med Res. 2004;32(2):132-40.
    3. Roschek Jr. B, Fink RC, McMichael MD, et al. Elderberry flavonoids bind to and prevent H1N1 infection in vitro. Phytochemistry. 2009;70(10):1255-61. doi: 10.1016/j.phytochem.2009.06.003.

birddog, Bottom Feeder and TAEZZAR like this.
  9. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

FLU SHOT ????? Are you suicidal ??? I really hope you are kidding.

My way to stay well includes:
    Stay out of a movie theater
    Don't visit your kids or grand kids, in school
    Try to stay out of hospitals (damn, I'm in for surgery in the morning).
    Stay out of airliners
    Shop off hours
    Don't take a flu shot

10. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

How is it hospitals keep it very cold to prevent the spread of germs, yet this flu shit thrives in the cold weather?? Sounds like the deep state to me, spreading disease to enrich big pharm

TAEZZAR and arminius like this.
  11. Bottom Feeder

Thanks for the write-up, abe, I've been using this brand for about five years now.
    I don't take it on a regular basis, just when I come down the the flu. It worked for me this year, but not as well as usual. The flu this season is pretty nasty and I pretty much felt like shit for about four days. A couple days coming into it, those four days, and two weeks afterwards of aches & pains, coughing and hacking up stuff.

All gone now, back to my regular diet.

:D:D
    BF

abeland1 likes this.
  12. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

That is my weakness, my N.D. Doctor/friend has me take 5K mg 3X a day and drink lots of water.
    I have taken Elderberries many years ago, I will get some for "insurance".

abeland1 likes this.
  13. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

Last time I thought I had an ear infection I filled my ear canal with colloidal silver and went to sleep. Funny how my subconscious kept me from rolling over and emptying the ear while I was sleeping. Anyway my ear problem was gone in the morning. I was ready to rinse and repeat.

abeland1 likes this.
  14. Bottom Feeder

Colloidal silver, yeah, now that I'm an old man and more susceptible to crap. I should start makin it.
    I hear that you should have high purity silver to start with, but that's about it. There's plenty of info out there for doing home brew, so I guess I should get with it.

BF

15. spinalcracker

spinalcracker On a mail train. Silver Miner Site Supporter

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690