1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

FS: 15.55 Grams (10 DWT) - Solid 22k Gold Plate

Discussion in 'Buy and Sell Area' started by oceanrx, Sep 30, 2015.

1. oceanrx

oceanrx New Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151832315833?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Up for sale is my bar of solid 22k gold. It weighs 10 dwt (0.50 troy ounces or approx 15.55 grams) and measures 2 15/16" by 1 13/16". It is sized nicely for either melting down or storing with your gold collection. It also acid tested as 22k gold (Regardless of seller/manufacturer, I always acid test my gold for purity).

Now for a little back story of the item...

This gold piece was passed down by my late grandmother, who introduced me to gold when I was a kid. She bought this piece from a local jewelry shop back in the early 80's as an investment. She kept the original receipt in it's envelope which shows that she bought it for a whopping $206. That's approx $450 per troy ounce back then! (Today's value is around $1100 per troy ounce).

Recently I've been liquidating all my gold through eBay and have been very happy (buyers too) with the outcome. I have a perfect 100% Seller rating and intend to keep it that way.

Due to it's value, item will be shipped insured and "signature needed" for delivery (USPS)

Feel free to message me if you have any questions. Thanks for looking and have a great day.

2. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

So is it solid gold or just gold plated?

3. historyrepete

historyrepete Silver Member Silver Miner

4. oceanrx

oceanrx New Member

It's solid 22k gold. The word "plate" is only to describe it's shape. Thanks for inquiring!

5. Ragnarok

Ragnarok I'd rather be Midas Member

It would have to be pretty thin to be almost 2"x3" at 0.5toz 22k.

Edit: just saw the pic on ebay. Looks like a piece of 30 gauge 22k gold foil. Probably meant to be used for electroplating.

R.

6. oceanrx

oceanrx New Member

MY research revealed that these pieces were used in the dental field, for creating caps/crowns. It is 30 gauge. I guess I could find a ceramic bowl, torch and mold and turn it into a "bar" lol.

Ragnarok likes this.
  7. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    Its of course sold now.....but i am curious.....what ties the "plate" to the paper description.....was there any markings on the "plate"?

in other words....what keeps someone from substituting a piece of brass in for the gold sheet? ...i guess a person could calculate out the size and figure the density....or the scratch n acid test as mentioned..

btw (ouch) gmom lost money

8. oceanrx

oceanrx New Member

It didn't sell because it didn't meet my reserve price. I offered a 14 day return/refund if buyer is not satisfied. A local gold/pawn shop offered $400 for it so I guess I'm gonna go with them. Thought I could get closer to spot price on eBay.

9. whiskey tango foxtrot

whiskey tango foxtrot Silver Member Silver Miner

Why don't you offer it for sale here instead of the pawn shop option? You could also have listed it at 400 no reserve on eBay, then buyers know that they're not bidding on an item with too high an asking price.

Anyway I'll offer you 410 for it. Then you'll know it will go to a fellow GIM member and it will have a good home.

Rcpb2000 and historyrepete like this.
  10. oceanrx

oceanrx New Member

Didn't know about this awesome place until after item was for sale. Item ended up selling after reposting it yesterday. Thanks everyone for your inquiries and have a great day.

Ill make sure to post here first when I get around to selling the rest of my stock.