1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Gainesville Coins Dealer Rating

Discussion in 'PM Dealer Feedback' started by Scorpio, Mar 30, 2010.

?

How do you rate this dealer?

1. * One Star

9 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. ** Two Star

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. *** Three Star

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. **** Four Star

20 vote(s)
    26.0%
  5. ***** Five Star

35 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Please post your comments regarding GC here in this thread.

You may rate the dealer to your satisfaction level in the course of your business.

Please understand that this is a informational content thread for the sole purpose of passing information and experiences regarding a specific PM dealer to other members.

GIM2 does not endorse or disapprove of any member in this list of threads.

GIM2 is not responsible for any disputes, resolutions, or comments made by the members.

A member may reply to the thread and post comments accordingly.

No new threads will be added except by the moderators.

You may also rate the dealer using the vote button, and the votes will be public, 1-5 stars, one being the lowest, and 5 being the highest rating.

2. j-son

j-son Seeker Seeker

optometrist
    i ordered numerous times from them...on three separate occasions they cancelled my order since they said the item wasnt instock...eventhough the website said it was.

shipping is fine and they do accept credit cards.

they used to have a nice vintage section for pre-1933 gold but lately their website seems to be modern products.

3. HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent Midas Member Midas Member

They renigged on me after taking a few hours on their site - I had found a good deal and they were not honest.

I'm sorry but they are like an EBAY'er who reniggs on your winning auction bid because they want MORE money and can sell it later.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  4. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

I bought several times, both thru the mail and the shows they attended over the years, only problem when palladium was in the low 200s I ordered 10 ounces, took several weeks to deliver but I did get it, otherwise stellar service.

5. VTEEZER

VTEEZER Silver Member Silver Miner

"Fool me once shame on you!" "Fool me twice shame on me!"

6. Blades

Blades New Member

2 thumbs up and the prices are reasonable esp if international shipping is involved. Very fast turnaround once they receive the wire transfer.

7. goldandcountry

goldandcountry New Member

Very mixed experiences for me on multiple orders. I won't go into too much detail other than to say they overcharged for shipping, more often then not do not have the best prices, and have very spotty customer service. I really cannot recommend them especially for raw coins and may not purchase again in the future.

HistoryStudent likes this.
  8. Poirot

Poirot New Member

I have to concur with this response. I have been going back and forth with them over the last few months over a lost order. Nobody seems to know what is going on, and nobody wants to follow up on ANYTHING. There seems to be no case notes, so every time I contact them they act like it is the first time I have contacted them. This wasn't a large order, so it looks like they just want to blow me off. I definitely won't be purchasing from them again.

Poirot

gunDriller likes this.
  9. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

@j-son Lately we have been focusing on modern products, but we recently re-added the Pre-1933 Coins (and Certified Rare Coins) back, as we got more in stock. I apologize for all the cancelled orders; I’m not sure what happened but I’d be glad to look into it for you?

@HistoryStudent Without knowing the specific circumstances of your transaction, it is difficult to comment on the experience. Our prices change according to the current spot price, which can change from minute to minute. If this isn’t what happened in your case, please let me know.

@southfork Thank you!

@blades Thank you!

@goldandcountry We pride ourselves on having the best pricing around - and the best customer service - which means I’m especially sorry for your experience. Perhaps you can tell me which coin/s didn’t have the best price (and your order details, for shipping), and I can attempt to find what went wrong?

@Poirot That definitely doesn’t sounds like a good situation. I’d love to look into it again and see if we can resolve the issue you’ve been having with receiving your order, if you’re willing. Let me know.

@Everyone, please feel free to call us at (813) 492-9300, or respond here with more details. I can assure you that we value your business at Gainesville Coins Inc., and want to make it the best experience possible. Let me know what I can do to make it better.

-Michael K
    GainesvilleCoins.com

HistoryStudent likes this.
  10. j-son

j-son Seeker Seeker

optometrist
    my latest email to you was regarding the special sale you had on kangaroo gold coins.
    i liked the price for the bank wire and i inquired whether or not i could get that price if i mailed a check (to save you on credit card fees)...the reply was that checks did not qualify for the bank wire rate and the checks were billed at the higher rate.

seems kinda weird no?

i never did a bank wire before and didnt know the procedure (i use an internet bank so i cant go into a branch). i also didnt like the $35 fee the bank charges for the wire so i figured the check would be better.

spot price has gone up a bit since i inquired.....i will now wait for the next dip to buy...another site said they would match the price, include free shipping and accept my check.

11. Tecumseh

Tecumseh Silver Member Silver Miner

I just picked up an order from them yesterday. It was my third or fourth order and I have yet to have a problem with them. Here are my observations/opinions:

1. Their prices are competetive with other sites and dealers (APMEX)
    2. Their shipping is fair and cheaper than other dealers that I have used.
    3. Their credit card price is reasonable compared to other dealers who heavily penalize you for that convenience.
    4. They ship quickly (at least in my experience) and don't hold your personal check for 10 business days like other sites do. (I may have only ordered using credit card from them - would have to go back and look at my order history).
    5. The order I picked up yesterday was sent via UPS - signature required. I'm rarely home when UPS delivers so this could have been a problem for me but I'm lucky enough to have a UPS depot about a mile from my house - actually much closer than my post office.
    6. The most recent order I placed had a small hiccup that might bother you if you are paranoid. They called my home and left a message requesting that I call them back and confirm my order. I called the number and they asked me to confirm my address on the phone - it was fine but I thought a little strange and never had that happen with any other dealer.

All in all they are fine and I have not had any problems and will purchase from them again.

P.S. Michael if number 6 was something fishy you should know that I don't store my metals at home and my house is heavily armed. Insert smiley emoticon here.

12. SilverBullie

SilverBullie New Member

I think they have some great deals sometimes. I missed out on a 10 oz lunar they had like 5 months back for pennies over spot. The times I have ordered I receive my items the next day via UPS. Granted, Im in Florida where they are based but it's still very fast.

Only place that I get packages from faster is 1800petmeds but I digress. GC's also has very competitive prices that lets you use your CC. Being able to send personal checks would be great but they only do bankwires at the cheaper prices.. maybe one day they will start accepting checks.

I also think it speaks volumes that they are monitoring these boards and willing to work with customers who seem to have some complaints. I would recommend them over say.... westminster mint.... The only thing Apmex has better is the personal check thing but boy oh boy does it take long to ship even after your check clears.

13. Meetzos

Meetzos Gold Member Gold Chaser

Retired
    I have purchased from them and never really had a problem. I have been to their show room. They have a fairly good assortment of products. All in all I think they are a good company to deal with.

14. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

Have ordered from them several times with only one problem that was started by me, so I can't really complain. They handled it well in the end.

Love the Perth Mint products, especially when on sale!!

15. mqracing

mqracing New Member

I'll add to this thread that I've had multiple transactions with Gainesville coins---- on both the buy and sell sides---- and, to date, I would rate and recommend GC highly.

I'm slightly bummed out by some of the experiences others have had---- and given my experience with this company it seems to me completely foreign (not doubting
    you guys). I hope each of you can work out something satisfactory with the management at GC.

But especially on the sell side of the equation---- I've sold to GC 10K worth of coins more than once---- check out the next day to me. Never a hassle. Never a dispute.
    No games. Straightforward and business like all the way.

GC and Apmex both enjoy my trust as both buyers and selllers.

And nice to see MichaelK address these complaints in a gentlemanly
    manner and with the customer's satisfaction most in mind.

The best test of a company or a person isn't when everything always
    works out well or as things ought to.... the real test is in adversity....
    when things did not initially work out properly.... then you can better
    judge how trustworthy a person or company is.

16. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

. I have bought some of their specials off the site with no problem, I was also able to get palladium from them at the show at spot.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  17. HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent Midas Member Midas Member

You were a total gentleman on this site.

Reminds me of years ago when COREY on the phone there sold me a number of Saints and Liberties.

18. ccjoe

ccjoe Gold Member Gold Chaser

commodities investing
    I invested 65K with them a couple months back and was VERY satisfied. I talked to several people several times and they were very appreciative of my business.
    They have a great supply of silver pandas and I bought a couple monster boxes off them.

19. Green Light

Green Light Banned

In 2006, a flood of counterfeit 1-ounce silver pandas came onto the market, and were frequently encountered on eBay through sellers located in China, both BU and proof versions. Many of these were easily distinguishable from the real thing by the lack of a denomination, which all authentic legal tender silver Panda coins have. Although these counterfeits did not contain a significant amount of silver, they were marked with '1 oz Ag .999'. Also, some do include the denomination, and are difficult to distinguish from a real one without weighing them, or comparing them to a known genuine coin.

20. ccjoe

ccjoe Gold Member Gold Chaser

commodities investing
    What's your point?
    That's why I grilled them to make sure the boxes were right off the boat from China and not sold back to them as that would open the possibility of fakes.
    You have to buy pandas esp off of a trusted dealer and that is what I think GC is.

21. AceNZ

AceNZ Silver Member Silver Miner

They are one of the few dealers who are willing to do the extra work required to ship overseas. Prices are decent. Service was good -- I was careful to ask for the same sales person each time I called.

I've only bought from them once, but it was a good experience overall. I paid by wire. Only one small glitch with the shipping info, and it was resolved quickly and correctly. My payment was acknowledged promptly; the order was shipped when they said it would be; it arrived as expected; packaging was good.

I would definitely use them again.

22. dmaddox

dmaddox Seeker Seeker

This was my first purchase over the internet, so I gave them 4 stars since I have nothing to compare to.

I purchased a roll of the Canadian 1 oz Wolf Silver Coins. The packaging was in a Priority Mail flate rate ship box. They put a piece of styrofoam peanut in the top of the tube so the coins would not rattle around. They even tapped up the tube so the lid would not fall off. I am very impressed and will use them again. I purchased from Gainsville because their online prices for one tube was a little less expensive, both because of the credit card fee, and the shipping prices factored into the purchase from Gainsville. Will be doing more business with them in the future.

23. Ardent Listener

Ardent Listener New Member

I just took delivery of a platinum order that I bought from Gainesville coins. I couldn't be more pleased with both their prices and service. This was the first time I bought from them, but not the last.

24. silver solution

silver solution Gold Member Gold Chaser

I call twice they stated they would pay spot on silver this was on 999 silver no name bars, sounded good to me. So second call said I would drive down next day guy stated someone would call to let us know where they are at. NO CALL. Well we went anyway. They did not answer their phone on that saturday all day!!

Well we did find the place, it was not easy. Guy would not pay spot said guy on phone was wrong only paying spot on name brand bars. So we took 30 cents or so under spot. Some of these would have went for way over spot on ebay as they were very nice.

We wanted to make the trip down that way to visit friends anyway, we had very nice day. We traveled very long way paid tolls and gas.

They would not pick up phone to let us know where they are located. Did not give us call like they said they would. We drove around for some time till we found them and then they did not pay the agreed price!!!!!!!

If I lived in that area I would drop by alot if I had the bucks coming in to buy. Nice shop, they were paying real cop to sit there on a slow saturday?? They paid in cash it was not small amount of cash.

I would have brought name brands if that is what they wanted. Something is off but still nice shop.

If going that way I would stop by.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  25. silver solution

silver solution Gold Member Gold Chaser

Called them friday wanted to raise some cash. They offered 10 bucks a coin less than California Numismatic Investments.

26. VTEEZER

VTEEZER Silver Member Silver Miner

Dealer rating zero! Rude and unbending on customer service issues! Never again!

27. 321AU

321AU Seeker Seeker

I without getting into all the details of my order I will never again buy from this company or recommend them to anyone.

28. Green Light

Green Light Banned

Google Yaffe gainesvillecoins for the real back-story. You're welcome.

29. chinmusic

chinmusic Seeker Seeker

Had a very funky interaction with them at Boston ANA this year. Tried buying a roll of ASE with cash and was told they MUST have a valid ID prior to selling to me and then studied the ID as if I was trying to board an airliner wearing a Burkkha. When asked what the big concern was, the sales rep said they now treat every and all transactions as if they will be audited. Not they may be audited, but that they will be. He said they now keep detailed records of every purchase or sale because they expect the feds to want to review it all sometime in the near future. Didnt leave me warm and fuzzy.

Was then able to walk 4 tables away and picked up almost 11 oz. of Au with FRNs and the dealer just shook my hand and wished me a nice afternoon.

Overall their rep was pleasant but the process seemed over the top

30. KGMe

KGMe Gold Member Gold Chaser

31. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

I've never ordered from them for two reasons. Some people don't care about extra costs but I figure if a retailer sells on margin, I am buying on it. I don't find their prices great but Apmex like. They only accept credit cards or wire transfers which carry extra costs with it. Don't accept checks or bank checks. Seems kind of odd, everyone else does.

I went into an old dusty store the other day (vacuums) and tried to buy a belt for my own. The owner doesn't accept debit or credit cards (throwback). While I admire the old fashionism the fact is he is killing himself. I didn't have any cash so I went elsewhere. I think Gainesville may be doing something similar. They seem like Tulving to be going for the big time buyers. Then they should offer big time pricing. Fact is I can get it cheaper elsewhere and pay the way I want.

32. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Silver Member Silver Miner

none now
    I have only purchased once from them and havent even received the order yet but found the site easy to work with. I wish the fees were a bit lower but I dont have a ot of experience so maybe they need it. I will probably buy again.

33. 00nightstorm

00nightstorm Seeker Seeker

BEWARE OF CROOKED SPOT PRICES

The spot prices on their website are inflated. I watched it for a good while today and the price of silver on their website tracked the real spot price +12 cents on average. Actually I never saw the true spot price come within 10 cents.

for example, right now the real spot price of silver, as displayed on goldmoney.com, kitco, and usagold are all around 12 cents cheaper than the spot price displayed on the gainesvillecoins.com website, at any given time. And it has nothing to do with price fluctuations, it is tracking and displaying incorrect spot prices for gold and silver.

34. Sheepdog

none now
    Re: BEWARE OF CROOKED SPOT PRICES

How can I learn to see that? I didnt give them much money just bought some silver.

35. 00nightstorm

00nightstorm Seeker Seeker

Go to goldmoney.com, look at the spot price for silver
    Go to www.usagold.com/live.html, look at the spot price for silver

then go to gainesvillecoins.com, and look at their crooked spot price for silver. It will always be 10-13 cents higher. Gold is always off by a few bucks also. Downright fraud. They will eventually get sued for this. I can't believe no one has caught it yet.

36. Sheepdog

none now

maybe it's just me. Im new and all. But I went to those two sites and saw that Gold was differing spot prices on each by 45 cents! Silver was closer but still different.

I went to Gainesville and saw that Gold was 2 dollars higher for some reason and silver was exactly like the lower of the two sites you mentioned.

Is their no set spot?

37. rbh110

rbh110 New Member

I like Gainesville. They frequent a local coin show and they blow away the prices of the other guys selling bullion (pd at $10 over spot vs others selling for $40 over spot). Usually a bit cheaper than Apmex too. Have ordered online as well, for Perth, it was $80 cheaper on a $2000 order on Gville vs Apmex. I'll use them again.

38. agau

agau New Member

Lately, It seems like whenever i order from Gainesville (via wire) i have to wait for at least 5 to 10 business days before they are shipping. If your web page says "available" why hold?

ppius13 likes this.
  39. WreckingKrewe

WreckingKrewe New Member

I periodically check their website, but seeing as most of their GAE and Buffalos are slabbed, I went into their store to see what they didn't bother posting on the website. I was suprised to see they had a very limited non-slabbed bullion offering. Their cash prices on GAE fractionals was reasonable, likewise on the few Coronas, Krugs and 50 Peso Centenarios, but seeing as stopping at the bank to get the cash is a pita, I was thinking a check would do. GC would accept my check, but would hold it for 10 days before releasing the coins, and treat debit cards as credit cards. I understand it but have another local dealer that accepted my check my first visit and I walked out with the coins. GC struck me as being geared toward numi customers/collectors, with an empahsis on website sales. I went there with the expectation that I would be leaving with some booty and suprised myself by walking out with nothing. I went onto Ebay later that day to "scratch the itch" and bought two Centenarios for less than GC's cash price, before rebates. All in all, I don't have a bad impression of GC, but not positive either.

Kkernell likes this.
  40. Green Light

Green Light Banned

Is this the place in Tampa?