1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Gainesville Coins Dealer Rating

Discussion in 'PM Dealer Feedback' started by Scorpio, Mar 30, 2010.

?

How do you rate this dealer?

1. * One Star

9 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. ** Two Star

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. *** Three Star

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. **** Four Star

20 vote(s)
    26.0%
  5. ***** Five Star

35 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. jogslvr

jogslvr Gold Miser Gold Chaser

Did anyone take advantage of the Gainesville sale on ASE's today? Supposedly started at 11 AM with price of $2.39 over spot/any quantity. Damn good price for ASE's! Problem is, I didn't get the damn email until long after the deal deadline. Was this for real or PR Bullsh!t? What was Ag spot at 11AM ET?

2. ccjoe

ccjoe Gold Member Gold Chaser

commodities investing
    I've NEVER received any e's from Gainesville:(

3. ccjoe

commodities investing
    My Gman just returned my call right away today and said to text to lock in the price.
    I'm taking some profits probably Friday and getting 2 more over spot than what APMEX offered me for some 2011 pandas.

4. silverwood

silverwood Silver Member Silver Miner

Handiman, heavy equipment operator, general constu
    Can anyone explain what the promo code is, as seen on their checkout page, and how can I obtain one? TIA

5. jogslvr

jogslvr Gold Miser Gold Chaser

Is anyone jumping on the Gainesville sale for silver 10oz NTR bars today? Last I looked a few minutes ago, they were selling for $0.24 cents over spot. Good luck with their website which looks about to crash. This is a bank wire price. Add about $1 p/oz for CC use/

6. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

On May 21, 2011 I ordered 160 one ounce Copper Round Coins, order number 135875, purchase price $298.50. I received this order via uninsured USPS Priority Medium Flat Rate Shipping on June 6, 2011. Upon opening the box I found four rolls of copper coins which had been taped together with glass tape. I unwrapped to find 20 one ounce coins in each roll which brought the coin count to 80 and not the 160 coins which I ordered. I contacted their Sales Dept (Lewis) to inform them I only received a partial shipment. I was told that they had a photograph of the box that I had received which showed 8 rolls of coins and since I signed for the shipment they are no longer responsible and told me to go see the Post Office. I told them this was ludicrous and I wanted the rest of my coins and I received the same response. I immediately sent Sales an email requesting a credit on my charge credit for $149.25 OR the remaining 80 copper coins.

I received a call on Monday, 6/13/2011. I was told they had a video of my package showing 160 coins were packaged. I asked how many rolls of coins were shipped and he hesitated for a couple of seconds & stated there are 20 coins per roll so there were 8 rolls. I stated that was impossible since I only received 4 rolls which were all taped together with glass tape and there was not any sign of the package being tampered with. I did tell him once again there were two small tears in the box about 3/16" wide and about 1/2" long but they were definitely too small for anyone to remove 4 rolls of coins. He went on to say that I never gave them a chance to resolve the issue and that I had reported it to the Better Business Bureau. I stated that I had called Gainesville immediately after receiving the package on Monday, 6/6/2011 and was told that since I had signed for the package that released Gainesville of all responsibility and I should contact the Post Office. I also told him that was an unacceptable response and I contacted my bank to dispute the charge on my credit card and that I had emailed their sales department about receiving a partial shipment. I also told him that since Gainesville did not respond to my email I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. He stated that it is a felony to temper with the mail and if I didn't want to make things more difficult for myself that I should withdraw my Better Business Bureau complaint and report the problem to the Post Office. I was shocked at this statement and thought to myself who am I really doing business with? I told him that I would not withdraw my complaint and there was no need for me to contact the Post Office since the package was not tampered with. He then went on to say that he would notify the Post Office and the Sheriff's Department and things would get difficult for me if I did not reverse my Better Business Bureau complaint. I flatly refused to withdraw my complaint at which point he said fine he would handle it his way. I hope they recorded this conversation. Finally I would like to say that at no time did I ever say the package WAS NOT DAMAGED. I told Lewis/Louis when I called on Monday that the package had two small tears. I have purchased gold & silver coins from this company 4 or 5 times but based on their response to this problem I definitely feel this is not a company anyone should do business with.

I disputed one half of the charge on my credit the same day I received the 80 coins instead of the 160 coins I ordered. Gainesville replied back to my bank that they shipped the correct amount of coins to me and they had proof. Based on their reply my bank allowed Gainesville on July 7 to post to my credit card the $149.25 that I had disputed. When I questioned my bank I was told that since Gainesville said they had proof so the dispute ended. In other words the word of the business overrides the customer. The bank told me I would have to reopen the dispute and request the bank to review and obtain the proof from Gainesville that they had indeed shipped me 160 coins.

I reopened the bank dispute and then called the Florida Better Business Bureau. The BBB had asked Gainesville to respond to my complaint and they did not. I told the BBB to request the actual proof that Gainesville claims they have that 160 coins were actually shipped to me.

Well I guess Gainesville is making it tough for me in an underhanded way -- unbelievable. Now what kind of honest, upstanding business would tell that to a customer?

By the way I have ordered gold & silver at least a half a dozen times from Gainesville without incident but never again. As far as I am concerned they are a totally dishonest company.

VTEEZER, Snow and shallow_explorer like this.
  7. Snow

Snow Seeker Seeker

They'll never get my money. This is way I use Insured APMEX. As much as people cry about their prices and premiums, you
    ll rarely get a mess like this, at the end of the day, you pay for what you get. What I pay for is peace of mind. It's not a bargain, if............. fill in the blank.

8. davec

davec New Member

Hows this difficult? The Post -mark and Post office can verify the package weight upon shipping and subtracting the carton/packing/coin tube weight, the weight/mass of the coins are known (its copper or gold or silver, the weight per gram is a known figure), the postage amount proves how much weight in coins (?) were received by the P.O and shipped.

the sender cannot modify the contents once the USPS receives it.

If the package weight was more than 8 tubes worth of coins, then its proven the sender sent all the order.

A WISE recipient asks the USPS to WEIGH the package just before signing for it. that documents how many coins are inside the box upon signing for the package, so any shortage in between was theft by the USPS.

the only thing you can do now is to attempt to prove the mailing weight on the senders end via the post-mark.

And be more diligent in the future...other wise this "he said she said" is meaninglss

PS "video recording the packing process" is a JOKE, that proves nothing as far as what was shipped, and the agreement revolves around whats shipped and when its signed off upon. That "video recording" farce in itself is enough to prompt me to take 20K to APMEX. Which is what Im gonna do....

9. new money

new money New Member

I have several purchases with Gainsville and the experiances were positive. Two weeks ago I purchased 2 tubes of 2011 ( $44.00 ea all in) SAE's and they were delivered well packaged and secure. I used the $5.00 off coupon to off-set the shipping. I have used Gainsville when I can not get to my local dealer on Saturday and on a Sunday night I get the feeling, feeling of the need of real money. I like to keep to my plan and the cost is the same if you factor in gas to my dealer VS shipping. The only thing is my dealer is large and I buy what he has an over supply of. I know how he prices and I can shift the fig to the seller on an over supply condition, I like to buy at spot. For example, I can buy at spot pre 33 wiped gold US coins.

10. samwiii

samwiii Gold Member Gold Chaser

I thought the same, but my last order from APMEX arrived via First-Class mail, uninsured, with only delivery confirmation. Luckily, I had no problem with my order, but the purpose of the insurance is for the "what if". I posted details one of the APMEX threads when it occurred, but felt the need to address "use Insured APMEX" when they don't always use insurance, even when paid for.

11. SongSungAU

SongSungAU Midas Member Midas Member

Perhaps it was insured but not by the USPS. They may have an insurance arrangement of some kind that doesn't show on the packaging we receive. Is it possible if you hadn't received the package and called them, they would have sent you a replacement and filed a claim with their insurance?

samwiii likes this.
  12. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Very possible. I do a lot of shipping through Endicia, and when I insure a package it doesn't show up anywhere on the label. As for using First Class mail, its just as quick as priority mail, just has to be under 13 oz in weight.

13. samwiii

samwiii Gold Member Gold Chaser

Wasn't aware there were other options. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that's the case. Thanks for the info.

14. silverblood

silverblood Gold Member Gold Chaser

I was looking at Gainesville Coins today as a possible source of bullion. I rejected them for small orders because purchasing from them would be a high-cost option for me. Gainesville, like many other bullion dealers, advertise two prices, a wire price and a credit card price. While the wire prices seem reasonable to me, the credit card prices do not. By that I mean that they are more than I wish to pay. Wire and credit card are the only two payment options unless you visit their store in person.

In order to get the wire price, one must purchase $2000 worth of goods. I do occasionally order metals in the range of $2k to $10k (sometimes even in Tulving quantities), and I don't mind the extra bother of wiring money when I do. But most of my purchases are under $2k at a time, and I prefer to pay for those smaller orders with a personal check. With Gainesville, I don't have that option. I would always be subject to the higher credit card price when ordering from Gainesville. I have never used a credit card to purchase metal and I don't expect I ever will, for the simple reason that every dealer charges an additional premium for using a credit card. I understand that they must do that because of the credit card processing fees. But dealers who offer me the option of paying by personal check allow me to avoid that extra cost without having to meet wire purchase minimums or deal with the extra bother of a wire transfer.

Besides the inconvenience of not being able to pay with a personal check, Gainesville charges 5% on your credit card even for wires.

I'll take another look at Gainesville the next time I want to make a large purchase that is less than Tulving's minimums, but for small orders, they are too expensive for me.

EDIT: I did not assign a rating to Gainesville since I have never purchased anything from them. I'm not suggesting that Gainesville is or is not a good bullion dealer. I am only observing that their payment policies do not meet my needs for small bullion purchases. My reason for posting is to help others to evaluate the suitability of this dealer for their own needs.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  15. dave92029

dave92029 New Member

My last two GC orders are now scheduled to be shipped. The first was ordered on 9/24 might be shipped today 16 days after they charged my CC.

The second order placed on 9/28 might be shipped on 10/19 21 days after they charged my CC

I ordered from Provident when GC was doing maintenance on their web site during this same period and received my order within a week,

Frankly I'm disappointed that it will take three weeks to ship my order, after GC charged my CC.

16. Chester-Copperpot

Had the same problem, waited three weeks for delivery, not good enough IMO.

17. voodoo1951

voodoo1951 Silver Member Silver Miner

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE...!!!

18. DualCarbon

DualCarbon Seeker Seeker

I'm in the same situation. Had bought from Gainesville before, with prompt shipping. This time (using a bank wire) I get an unexpected ~3weeks until ship date. Frustrating.

19. Texan

Texan New Member

Gainesville Coins had tables at the Money Show of the SW in Houston. They had 2 oz Lunar Dragons, and a friendly, helpful guy told me they were $130. I had just arrived and went to look around before coming back around 1PM to buy one.

The original guy and another guy who wasn't there earlier were packing up early to leave. The Lunars were still out though, so I'm thinking, cool, got here just in time. I quickly pick one out, and my wife is pulling out exact cash to pay. They wouldn't take the cash, saying they had already shutdown their pc. Unbelievable.

First and last attempted transaction with Gainesville Coins. Zero out of five stars.

20. DualCarbon

DualCarbon Seeker Seeker

No, these are not BS or competitor posts (speaking for my post). The shipping delay was Not stated beforehand for my order. I eventually got my coins after the unacceptable delay. Also, I don't care about your frustration.

21. Chester-Copperpot

Darn you caught me out. I'm the CEO of APMEX. :bird:

22. Hi Ho Silver

Hi Ho Silver Seeker Seeker

I run my mouth
    A+ dealer in MHO..they were fair on price, fast shipping, items in stock--- i purchased ASE's and CM's on a couple of occasions when they were priced lower than Apmex.

i normally buy from Apmex but a deal is a deal!!!!!!!

23. DualCarbon

DualCarbon Seeker Seeker

I've simply posted what happened with my order from them; ~3 weeks of unstated and unacceptable delay. This is a review thread after all.
    Then you go wildly accusing BS fabrication or being a competitor, and blackmail. Something is wrong here, with you.
    Let me guess, you or a relative of yours work for Gainesville?

24. TiKi

TiKi Silver Member Silver Miner

Last time I called Gainesville coins they were a bit rude, haven't called them since. They also don't accept checks.

25. Chester-Copperpot

So it's okay for your to post, on this thread and call us all competitors, but not for us to insinuate that you may have a connection with Gainesville.

Here's your earlier post on this thread.

"Gainesville Coins is the best dealer on the web in my opinion. I have purchased from them for over 4 years now and have never had any issues with them. A lot of people are upset over delayed shipping but Gainesville always posts the stated delays on their site. To be honest it sounds like a lot of negative posts on this forum are made by possible competitors as most other forums give Gainesville great reviews. Anyways, sorry for my rant it just frustrates me when I see people blasting other companies when more than likely these are BS posts.

So everybody that's posted a negative comment, regarding Gainesville, is talking BS? Your opinion means no less, or no more, than anyone else here.
    My statement was 100% true. They gave me a delivery time, and did not stick to the original agreement. I waited almost three weeks longer than I should have. When I phoned, they were not very helpful either. Not BS, just the facts.

26. Gold Rules

Gold Rules Gold Member Gold Chaser

Hummmmmmmm

What i would like to know is why it takes them 3 weeks to ship an order when they say they have the coins in stock :mad:

Kinda deceptive to place an order & THEN find that out.

Next time I will shop elsewhere

Their being a little cheaper dont mean squat to me having the coins in my fat hand if things go TU

ppius13 likes this.
  27. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

I just ordered a few things from Gainesville.

Placed recent order on 1/1/12

Shipping estimate was 1/16/12

Actual shipping was 1/4/12

No problamo.

28. VTEEZER

VTEEZER Silver Member Silver Miner

Hey, Happy New Year! It's time for my yearly review!

YEP STILL 3 THUMBS DOWN!

They shaft me once......I give the gift that keeps on giving.....a yearly review for the rest of eternity!:moon:

Hope the bad will was worth it for them! :biggrin:

29. gb1980

gb1980 New Member

I am a rookie about Gainsville coin.

I bought a AGE while at the Florida F.U.N. show last weekend and they only charged me $49.00 over spot. Better then any other dealer there at the show. I checked them all!

If I am ever in Tampa area and have money I will find them and buy again.

30. ppius13

ppius13 Seeker Seeker

Gainesville Coins takes too long to ship, in light of immediate payment tendered with a credit card. For customer convenience they should also accept personal checks, like Apmex.

For those satisfying minimum requirements, Tulving is still the first choice in the U.S.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  31. ralleia

ralleia Silver Member Silver Miner

Student, homemaker, mom.
    Placed an order March 14.

ESTIMATED SHIP DATE: 03/23/2012

Actual shipping date: March 21.

-----------------

Their prices were quite a bit closer to spot than three other places I had checked, 79 cents over spot for 100 oz silver bars and about $22 over spot for one ounce gold bullion.

The two representatives that I worked with were polite, patient, and helpful.

The selection was a bit challenging on that day--I wanted two Sunshine 100 oz silver bars and they only had one in stock, so I bought their last two Engelhards instead. PMs had taken a dump that day so it was very active.

I'm pleased as punch. We intend to do another order with them in the next one to two days.

32. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

Haven't ever ordered from them due to their payment methods. They are 'cheaper' but you have to factor in the cost of a transfer or cc.

I have never seen such disparity about customer service. I was on another place reading reviews on Gainesville, some praise them, others criticized them harshly. Similar to what I am reading here. I wonder if there are some 'bad' customer service people there giving them a bad name.

33. ralleia

ralleia Silver Member Silver Miner

Student, homemaker, mom.
    I go for the wire prices, which are *VERY* nice indeed.

On a $10,000 order, the $20 that the bank charges me to wire the funds is chump change. That's less than an oz. of silver.

34. ccjoe

commodities investing
    Joe Yaffe, one of the principals of Gainesville, gave me 52 per silver 2010 panda (690 coins) as Provident had the week before.
    The great thing was that Joe, himself, promised to mail me the check on Wed> today as that was the expected UPS shipment date I had made to him.
    He got the silver yesterday, and had someone call me to inform me he was overnighting the 36 grand check a day early.
    I got the check today as promised, as my wife called me to tell me the good news while I was at the ninety nine with the kids.
    Very good service by the top man.

ralleia likes this.
  35. 00nightstorm

00nightstorm Seeker Seeker

I tried to buy some silver from them. They double charged my card, then said that the order did not go through and that it was rejected by their payment processor and that I would have to wait up to 72 hours to get my money back. F-

36. John45in

John45in New Member

Ordered my first (but not my last) gold from them. Wired payment and got immediate notification and shipping date. They shipped on that date and notified me same date. A five star transaction.

37. Sander

Sander New Member

Wow, this thread has enlightened me to the varieties of attitudes among the PM enthusiasts on this site. I will not denigrate anyone's response, but I've seen a lot of, ..."grr...they promised it on Monday and it arrived on Tuesday."

I'm willing to give a company a day or two for unexpected developments. I look primarily at at the sale price vs. the buy-back price. This gets down essentially to who charges the lowest commission. When I buy something, who will give me the best percentage if I have to sell it back? As I run the the numbers for multiple companies, Gainesville consistently come out on top.

I have no stock in Gainesville, but after extensive research, they have my business.

No, I don't work for Gainesville, But I've bought from them several times. I'm still waiting for for someone to offer me a better deal.

38. 97guns

97guns Gold Member Gold Chaser

RETIRED