1. Stocks continue to roll off recent highs, while metals catch a bid
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Thu Morning! Gold is up 6.6 to 1252, and Silver is up 17 to 16.55. Crude is up 26 to 4279. The USD is flat at 9721
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/10/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1271.40-- DOWN 8.80 Silver $17.22-- DOWN 30 Oil $45.83-- DOWN 1.83 USD $97.01 -- UP 37 TICS
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Going back to Vinyl...

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Argentium, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Argentium

Argentium Midas Member Midas Member

For my music. I've had it with CD's and digital music! I sold off all my stereo gear in 1996, as a result of the wife's bitching about it and my extensive LP collection; "You don't hardly use it, they take up too much room in the basement, etc" After listening to this for years, I sold it all in a fit of anger at firesale prices in a garage sale. I know; stupid, stupid, stupid! Many of the LP's were rare, even back then.

Digital music just sounds soulless to me, that why I rarely listen to my CD's. SO, after the first of the year, I'm going to start rebuilding. The hard part, I think, will be the turntable. I sold off a mid-range Bang & Olufsen TT, a nice Kenwood amp, Yahama tuner and Bose 501 & 301 speakers and all he LP's. I made some lucky guy very happy.

I'd like recommendations for turntable, amp or receiver and speakers. I'm not looking for top of the line gear, just something that would do old vinyl justice. Also, a good source for old LP's.

TIA

REO 54, agnut, gringott and 4 others like this.
  2. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

From what I've heard, you're not the only one. Many people are sick of the perfect sound of cd's. Even alot of the "Youngins" are finding an appreciation for LP's. Those 70's and 80's rock bands on vinyl are making the comeback!

3. specsaregood

specsaregood Silver Member Silver Miner

And a lot of indie bands have been putting out vinyl in recent years. We have a huge collection in the basement: all my MIL, FIL and wifes records. I laughed when looking at the white album cover once and it had where my MIL had doodled "I *heart* Paul" on it when she was a teen, she still has a crush on him. I've ripped a few to mp3, but don't have real turntable to play them on. We just hold on to them because we figure its not worth getting rid of them.

4. Cigarlover

Cigarlover Gold Member Gold Chaser

The sound quality on vinyl is unsurpassed IMO. I sold all mine about 6 years ago and have regretted it ever since. I still have my Yamaha tuner and d15EE speakers so I just need a turntable and to rebuild my vinyl collection. My tuner I bought back in 86 and has never let me down. The youngins are still amazed at how good it sounds coming from something older than they are. They just got used to disposable sheet i guess.

5. BUILT TO LAST

BUILT TO LAST Gold Member Gold Chaser

I have used Polk Audio speakers for a long time. Still sound great.

Cigarlover likes this.
  6. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

7. brosil

brosil Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I've got an old AR that I'm not doing anything with but you should really look for some of the laser turntables from right before CDs. No wear on the record and great fidelity.
    On a side note, my nieces lesbian lover is a manager at on of the last pressing plants in Cleveland. I think they're working 2 shifts now.

Cigarlover likes this.
  8. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I kept my Beatles, Zeppelin and Traffic albums. I uploaded about 300 CDs to Google Music and to a 500GB HDD which
    i can add to any computer, complete with graphics.

I have all access by any Android via Google Music and also listen to Pandora, Jango and YouTube. I figure with all that I have access to just about every song ever written after 1950.

9. jbeck57143

jbeck57143 Silver Member Silver Miner

10. Avalon

Avalon Lawn Protected by Guns Of Avalon Platinum Bling

healthcare
    I just happen to know where you can find a nice turntable, giant receiver and a pair of huge dinosaur speakers.. All genuine vintage from the late 70s.. In my living room and I would love for them disappear. My husband doesn’t actually use them but says he would feel their lose if they were gone.
    Perhaps a boating accident. :s9:

As far a digital music goes I think the iPod was the best invention since chocolate. I love them.. but consider I am stone deaf in one ear and don’t know what stereo is..

Goldhedge and brosil like this.
  11. searcher

12. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    I thought that turntable was cool until I saw the price.
    Ouch

13. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    Laser turntables are new. They'll come down in price eventually.

I wonder if they play the scratches too?

14. mattsw

mattsw New Member

I got back into records a few years ago. My turntable is far from state of the art, but what makes it useful for me is that it plays 33 1/3's, 45's and 78's. I like music from a lot of eras even going back into the 1930's - 1940's. I used to visit a store in Frederick, Maryland that sold 78's for 10 cents a piece. They were just stacked loosely in the back of the store. I remember walking out one day with over 30 78's for about $3. I also have some of the very old type records that are meant for the windup Victrola, which I also have. I don't use it very often because it needs servicing, and the places that service them are hard to find.

searcher and Hystckndle like this.
  15. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

I remember back about ten years ago you could play any record that would fit in your scanner. It could read the grooves from the picture.

16. wallew

wallew Gold Member Gold Chaser

Retired - no job, no money
    I've been a member of Agoraquest.com for ten years.
    http://www.agoraquest.com/forums/index.php?sid=5cd43153ac34b5cf9454ee166169d94f

ALL SONY EQUIPMENT, though they do discuss other equipment as well. Here is a post of mine discussing my evolving Home Theater system. Different speakers, with a goal of the Sony STR-DA9000ES top of the line machine (I now own two). http://www.agoraquest.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=21807

MAXXWIRE is the man on the site there. He owns a lot of 'tube' amps that sound wonderful. To give you an idea of how nuts and bolts they get, one thread is specifically about using 'the best' electrical plug. AT THE WALL.

Called 'THE AC PLUG THREAD' - http://www.agoraquest.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=25971

not the only time they get in the weeds with tech details

I do like this site for all my entertainment information.

17. Argent Dragon

Argent Dragon Site Support Site Mgr Site Supporter

I've been into vinyl since the 1990's and still have my collection of 33-1/3rds, 45's, and 78's...........probably 200+ albums although I've never counted.

Tables currently owned >> DUAL from 1970, Stanton (modern), and a couple of dusty old off-brand types from the seventies.

I prefer running my Stanton (direct drive) through my state-of-the-art 1969 Pioneer solid state through a matching set of Pioneer boxed bookshelf speakers which still sound awesome !

Hystckndle likes this.
  18. angryhippy

angryhippy Seeker Seeker

I'd get a technics direct drive turntable, I've been using an SL-D2 and the thing is a tank. Put a nice cartridge on there and you'll be happy. Speakers/receiver whatever you can find, I'd hit thrift stores in big cities and you'll find a decent receiver. I found 2 denon tape decks yesterday.

19. HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent Midas Member Midas Member

Search out "used stereo system" on the BAY.

Contact the sellers via email - be careful.

Find what you want and buy it piece by piece; or the whole thing - depending upon what you find and/or want.

HS

PS I understand - I'm very "Old School."

20. Argent Dragon

Argent Dragon Site Support Site Mgr Site Supporter

REO 54 likes this.
  21. searcher

Let's go back in time..................

Edison Amberola 30 Playing Record #3275 (Over There) 9-23-2015
    (videosbymike)

https://youtu.be/e6WYdNERdvI

Published on Sep 24, 2015
    Today I will share with you another hobby that I have. Here is a 1913 Edison Amberola 30- 4 minuet cylinder phonograph. In this video I will show the phonograph and how it works, the cylinder cabinet and the cylinders themselves. From time to time I will make other videos playing some of the music of this era.

I hope you will share this with your children and grand children and show them how music was played before we had cd's,mp3 and ITUNES

I do not own the copyrights to the music played from the cylinders and they are played for educational purpose only.

I created this video and I own all rights to all the contents in the video.The audio used in this video is from IMAC's ILIFE software, I have included the link for you for there EULA for the ILIFE software, you can refer to item 2c of the agreement.

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/doc...

Don't forget to subscribe and tell a friend.

Prepare for the worst and pray for the best,

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
    agnut likes this.
  22. searcher

Decoding CD-4 Quadradisc LPs with software
    (vwestlife)

https://youtu.be/8vX28oEKELI

Published on Oct 7, 2015
    Just a quick proof of concept. CD-4 decoders are becoming more and more expensive and hard to find. But with a 96 kHz or higher sound card and some software code, it would be possible to decode the ultrasonic CD-4 carrier and reproduce the 4-channel audio through a modern surround sound system.

A special CD-4 compatible phono cartridge and Shibata stylus may not even be necessary, as the CD-4 carrier be decoded with some success even with a standard cartridge and stylus, as demonstrated here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfboTx...

JVC's original brochure introducing and explaining the CD-4 system (which ironically refers to LPs as "software"): http://www.quadraphonic.info/manuals/...

23. searcher

Edison Amberola 30 Playing Record # 3586 Rock A Bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody
    (videosbymike)

https://youtu.be/tEqBw4HiKVc

Published on Oct 7, 2015
    The Edison Amberola 30 Playing Record #3856 Rock-A-Bye-Baby With A Dixie Melody.

For more information on this phonograph click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6WYd...
    Watch more Edison Amberola Video Here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

I do not own the copyrights to the music played from the cylinders and they are played for educational purpose only.

I created this video and I own all rights to all the contents in the video.The audio used in this video is from IMAC's ILIFE software, I have included the link for you for there EULA for the ILIFE software, you can refer to item 2c of the agreement.

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/doc...

Don't forget to subscribe and tell a friend.

Prepare for the worst and pray for the best,

Mike

24. searcher

Kenwood P-100 mini turntable review & test
    (vwestlife)

https://youtu.be/sSLz00nEhRc

Published on Nov 7, 2015
    As small and simple as a turntable could possibly be, but it has a good quality Audio-Technica AT3600 magnetic phono cartridge.

25. searcher

The Sound and The Story
    HamAndShortwaveRadio

Published on Apr 15, 2016
    The Sound and The Story.
    Another old public domain film restored by me,,, this time we have a RCA produced film about how they made vinyl LP records.

I personally did not realize how many steps there were in the production of Vinyl Records.

More ham radio and short wave radio videos by gregW:-) OH2FFY at - 'HamAndShortwaveRadio'.

26. searcher

Philips FP33 -revised version-
    Twi Llight

Published on Apr 24, 2016
    My Philips FP 33 in Action.
    Picture and sound were recorded in real time of two recording sources. And then later joined with Windows Movie Maker in sync together. The two pieces of music are: Kay Starr: "THE BREEZE" and Ted Heath: "SKIN DEEP" Genre: Jazz

27. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    I have an old turntable I've used, it's got nothing automatic. If you want the needle on the record, you have to lift the arm and put it there. On the other hand, there's nothing to return it when it reaches the end of the lp, it just sits there waiting for me to get off my a$$. I think it's also direct drive, not sure.

28. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Still have my oldl lps from 60s and 70s, been hankering to get an old record player for them.

searcher likes this.
  29. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

There is a distinct difference between listening to d.d.d.d d.d.d.d.d.d.d.d.d.d. igital and then going back to vinyl, to vinyl, to vinyl, vinyl, to vinyl, to vinyl, to vinyl, to vinyl, to vinyl, vinyl, to vinyl, to vinyl.

Of course nothing will ever be able to match 8 tracks they were ghyfrghhjhgdrcghhvfdcbjkkgggfr dd.
    I am pretty sure 8 tracks were the inspiration behind 'Another One Bites The Dust'.

30. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

I still have a bunch of vinyl from the my youth. Just recently pick up a collection of Murray Hill records, "Masters of Guitar" with such greats as Andres Segovia and Carlos Montoya.

I have a pioneer turntable still but I'm looking for a receiver at the moment. I also have NIB psb studio speakers that I got as wedding gift 16 years ago. Can't wait to start spinning some records again!

searcher likes this.
  31. Rollie Free

I had a Techniques turntable that I hadn't used in years. It was a prize possession when I was 16. I put a record on and turned it on. Indicator light came on but no turning. I inspected it to see what was going on. Lifted off the rotary table and where the belt used to be was a line of dust. Yeah, it had been a while.

32. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    In "the day" I owned an 8-track recorder, which I still have, so I could copy tapes. I haven't thrown it out as I still have many 8-track tapes in storage, a project for the future. But I'm sure many may be dead by now.

33. Rollie Free

8 tracks were the greatest..........
    mmmmmmmClickmmmmmmmmm.....
    ......media at the time.

34. angryhippy

angryhippy Seeker Seeker

I sold a really nice silver face vintage pioneer 8 track on eBay last year. It sold damn fast, people still love the nicer 8 track players.

35. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

The worst part about 8 tracks is when the rubber wheel turns to goop inside them.

36. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Or when Louisiana Rain was cut into two parts on Tom Petty's Damn the Torpedoes.

37. TomD

TomD It blowed up, y'all Platinum Bling

construction, engineering
    I still have a mid-70's Mitsubishi DA 10 amp and pre-amp, and a set 70's JBL L-100's but, alas, my hearing is now MIA.

38. searcher

Are Teenagers Keeping Vinyl Records Alive?
    Seeker Stories

Published on Jun 16, 2016
    There's no question the Internet opened up a whole new world of music consumption - first there were mp3 downloads, now there's a multitude of streaming music services like Spotify, Pandora, and Tidal. Digital distribution is now a dominating force in the industry. Yet something unexpected has been happening with vinyl records over the past decade - they've actually been on the rise. Nielson says vinyl record sales have steadily grown over the past ten years. And according to the RIAA, 2015 vinyl sales reached their highest level since 1988. Conventional wisdom says nostalgic baby boomers and Gen Xers are keeping this outdated format alive, but a growing number of younger fans are buying records now, too. In fact, MusicWatch reported that half of all record buyers in 2015 were under 25 years old. One of them is 16-year old-Adia Douglas - a vinyl enthusiast who just opened up her own record store in the San Francisco Bay Area. Adia was born in the digital age but was influenced by her father, a musician and longtime record collector himself. After noticing boxes of records in their home that weren't being played, Adia convinced her parents to let her open up a little shop to sell new and used vinyl. Now she's there most days after school, selling records to customers who are sometimes younger than she is.

Check out Adia's store, RPM Records: https://www.facebook.com/RPMRecordsBr...

39. ToBeSelfEvident

ToBeSelfEvident Gold Member Gold Chaser

Interesting way to create and playback a record.

However note that once created the perfect analog playback system the first thing they did was digitize the signal!

searcher likes this.
  40. searcher

Ristaucrat M-400 Industrial-Strength Both-Sides 45 RPM Record Player Demo
    dfwsoundman

Published on Nov 17, 2012
    A very rare 1953 Ristaucrat 45 rpm record player, restored from its original back-room cabinet into a turntable base (plinth). Complete restoration of mechanics, surfaces, and alignments. Bat-handle switches and carry-handles added, LEDs illuminate mechanical workings below. Similar in concept to Seeburg 1000 background music record players.