1. Have a great Memorial Weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gone Fishin'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/27/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- Silver $17.32-- Oil $49.80-- USD $97.36 --
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Going back to Vinyl...

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Argentium, Dec 3, 2013.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

RCA Victor Record Changer 1931 Radiola Automatic Electrola RAE-26 Demonstration
    GracevilleMN

Published on Aug 5, 2013
    Introduced in the depths of The Great Depression, the RAE-26 didn't have many buyers, even with a new-style record changer. This remarkable piece of machinery is fascinating to watch! I hope you enjoy the music and video!

2. searcher

Gramovox Floating Record Player- Sound Demo
    Pranay Tyagi

Published on Apr 17, 2016
    As the Title indicates just a short video demonstrating the internal speakers of the Gramovox Floating Record Player.

http://www.gramovox.com

3. searcher

1byone 471US-0002 Bluetooth turntable review & test
    vwestlife

Published on Mar 23, 2016
    1byone invited me to review their Bluetooth turntable. Is it any good?

Discount codes for my viewers:
    US: http://amzn.to/1M40Fq3 $20 off code: 6JQRWIWP
    UK: http://amzn.to/1PqHyqi 20 GBP off code: IS5TXD3O

4. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

I like to watch those time life commercials , 30 min each they have clips of the oldies from 60s 80s, prices are assinie 150 for 10 cds, but good oldies, saw some on the bay for 35 bucks for the 10/11 cd set used, tempted to pick up some .

^updated^ and searcher like this.
  5. searcher

TEAC TN-100 3-speed USB turntable review
    vwestlife

Published on Aug 20, 2016
    The TEAC TN-100 is a 3-speed (33/45/78 RPM) USB turntable with a magnetic cartridge and nice-looking wood finish at an affordable price. But it has a heavy tracking force, sounds sibilant on some records, and doesn't come with a USB cable or recording software.

6. searcher

Does an expensive turntable actually sound better?
    vwestlife

Published on Aug 24, 2016
    A side-by-side audio quality comparison between a $300 Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB professional direct-drive turntable and a late '80s/early '90s Quasar CS-7030 stereo system with built-in belt-drive record player. The AT-LP120 certainly looks more impressive, but which one actually sounds better? Listen and decide for yourself!

7. searcher

Will a Crosley Cruiser DESTROY your records?
    vwestlife

Published on Aug 29, 2016
    No.

Important footnotes:
    * I am in no way advocating the purchase of Crosley Cruiser record players. They sound terrible and better choices are available in the same price range. I'm just disproving the claim that they will "destroy" or "chew up" records. In normal use and with proper care, your records will be fine.

* BSR record changers were the Crosleys of their day; they were lambasted by audiophiles as "record grinders", because many of them had tracking forces similar to the cheap record players of today -- but yet, if you've ever listened to a used record from the '60s through '80s, chances are it was played on a BSR or similarly crude record player at some point in its life, and yet was not "destroyed".

* I take "destroyed" or "chewed up" to mean a record that has become unplayable and unlistenable due to skipping or extreme distortion; not merely to mean the scratchiness typical of "well-loved" records. When faced with a scratchy record, most people just turn down the tone control and continue to play it.

* The elliptical styli favored by audiophiles will cause excessive record wear at tracking forces much above 3 grams, so 3 to 3.5 grams is frequently cited as the maximum safe tracking force for all turntables. However, the conical or spherical styli used by inexpensive record players and "DJ" cartridges can apply higher tracking forces without any significant risk of excessive wear. When stereo LPs first came out, 5 to 6 grams was cited as the maximum safe tracking force, as compared to the 10 to 12 grams that was typical of older monaural record players!

* As I mentioned in the video, the LP I used for my test has very low groove modulation, causing surface noise to be much more audible. Modern LPs and 12-inch singles are cut much louder, enough to drown out the surface noise of all but the most extreme tracking forces I used during my test.

* Some audiophiles have defended their overblown claims by saying that the damage caused by a cheap record player will only be audible on a "good" turntable, because on a Crosley the fidelity is so low that you wouldn't be able to hear it. But other tests have disproven this; see Record Raid's video "Will cheap turntables damage your records?": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K3XcD...

8. searcher

Using a turntable stylus as a microphone and speaker
    vwestlife

Published on Sep 9, 2016
    A turntable phono cartridge stylus ("record player needle" in common parlance) converts vibrations into an electrical signal, and it doesn't care whether those vibrations come from your voice or the record grooves. Thus it can be used as a microphone, although the sound is bassy and muffled due to the inverse RIAA curve.

Attempting to use it in reverse as a speaker doesn't work nearly as well -- the phono cartridge itself makes a very faint sound, but the stylus does not vibrate enough to amplify that sound.

Traderjoe likes this.
  9. searcher

The world's cheapest phono cartridge
    VWestlife

Published on Oct 10, 2016
    Examining the world's cheapest phono cartridge, which sells for less than $2 on eBay (including free shipping from China), and demonstrating the audio quality it can deliver when attached to properly matched equipment.

10. Argent Dragon

Argent Dragon Site Support Site Mgr Site Supporter

Interesting post on 'cheap' turntables.....

As a sidenote, the weight of the 'arm' (downward force/pressure) will have the most affect on 'wear' of your records. The heavier the arm such as 5-grams instead of 1 to 1-1/2 will wear deeper grooves in the vinyl over time.
    Once or twice is harmless, but after 50-100 times there will probably be noticeable wear.

The flipside, is that older vinyl with light scratches can easily skip or mis-track with ultra-light arm pressure such as 1/2 a gram.

Mine is adjustable with a dial on the back of the arm to increase / decrease the weight varying the pressure on the needle.

My 2-cents ~ AD~

searcher likes this.
  11. searcher

12. searcher

Technics SL-1900 turntable repair & review
    VWestlife

Published on Jan 15, 2017
    A 40-year-old turntable that I got for under $50 which has better specs than new turntables costing over $1000 -- but it has a common problem of the tonearm getting stuck in the raised position and not lowering. I show you how to fix it.

Vinyl TV's comprehensive video on how to set up a turntable and tonearm:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-aID...

Animated 3D model of how the SL-1900's mechanism is assembled and works:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ktiYA...

13. searcher

Listen to Edgar Varése's "Ionization" Performed by The New Jersey Percussion Ensemble
    Analog Planet

Published on Jan 29, 2017
    Combative anti-vinyl posters here and elsewhere claim vinyl is: noisy, can't reproduce deep bass, suffers from distortion and has major dynamic range limitations. Some insist that bass must be summed below 80Hz but this is simply not true, though mastering is made easier by doing so. So here, from "Percussion Music" (Nonesuch H-71291) is Edgar Varése's "Ionization" recorded in 1974 by the brilliant Marc J. Aubort and mastered by Robert C. Ludwig at Sterling Sound in New York. These Nonesuch releases of adventurous music recorded by Aubort and mastered by Ludwig are uniformly superb both musically and sonically and usually inexpensive. The only issue was '70s era vinyl was sometimes noisy in part because of an oil shortage. That was not true of this record as you'll hear! Live it sounds even better. HEAR THE 96/24 FILE IN FULL RESOLUTION, NOW, ON ANALOGPLANET.COM

14. searcher

Technics SL 1200G Vs Continuum Caliburn
    Analog Planet

Published on Jan 31, 2017
    The AnalogPlanet.com review of the new Technics SL1200G will soon post on the AnalogPlanet website. It will be a very positive review. There are SL-1200 enthusiasts who believe it to be the best turntable in the world and superior to any belt drive because they believe direct drive is inherently superior.

So here's a check: the same piece of music "Vanquish" from the percussion group Smoke & Mirrors on Yarlung Records, recorded to analog tape using a single tube-based AKG C-24 stereo microphone and cut at 45rpm. Percussion records are especially good tests of transient precision and attack speed.

This particular pressing has some serious issues as you'll see more but hear somewhat less. However, it's a really good tracking test of both the arm and cartridge. The same record was used for both recordings.

Both the SL1200G and Continuum Caliburn with Swedish Analog Technologies tone arm were fitting with the Lyra Etna and run into the CH Precision P1 current amplification phono preamp ($48,000 with X1 power supply). The only other variables are different inputs on the P1 and of course different arms, 'tables and tone arm wire from 'table to phono preamp.

As I said in the video, the audio may or may not be the same and if different, may or may not correspond with the audio (in other words the audio for the SL-1200 may be the Continuum recording and vice-versa..or not!

The ADC was the Lynx HiLo at 96/24 resolution, which of course, YouTube doesn't fully provide during playback. In listening to the percussion record, consider the speed of instrumental attack and listen for the piano's "overhang" and "smear" as well as the clarity and precision of the sustain and the length of the decay. Also, pay attention to bass extension and solidity.

But mostly just listen, hopefully with a good USB DAC into a system with good and deep bass to begin with! And watch for the full SL-1200G review soon on analogplanet.com.

15. searcher

A Vocal Track to Compare the Technics SL-1200G and the Continuum Caliburn With SAT Arm
    Analog Planet

Published on Feb 1, 2017
    Got requests for a vocal track, so I've posted this comparison. A lot of work to do this, so this is it! No messing with videos this time: what you see is what you get. Also a quick anecdote about the late RCA producer Max Wilcox who passed away January 20th at age 88.

16. searcher

Let's Go Expensive Turntable Shopping!
    Analog Planet

Published on Feb 1, 2017
    Listen to three costly turntables fitted with a Lyra Atlas SL ($12,995) transcribing Andrew Hill's "LaVerne" from Frank Kimbraugh's Newvelle album "Meantime". First up is the Kuzma Stabi M ($19,255) with 14" Kuzma Point arm (appx. $9000 depending upon arm cable choice). Next up is the Acoustic Signature Ascona 2 turntable with optional Invictus platter ($38,000) and TA9000 arm ($17,995), and lastly the Swedish Analog Technologies arm ($32,000) on the Doehmann Helix 1 turntable ($40,000). There is one variable: the Kuzma 'table was used with the $60,000 Audio Tekne TEA 8695, while the other two used the Ypsilon MC-16L step up transformer ($6200) into the Ypsilon VPS-100 silver edition (appx. $55,000). You'd be surprised by how many people are lucky enough to own this level of equipment.

17. searcher

18. searcher

The New Ideal Affordable Turntable? Dual are back!
    AudioLlama

Published on Jan 31, 2017
    Total clickbait title there right?

Here is the AudioLlama review of the Dual MTR-40 Direct Drive USB Turntable.

Buy the Dual MTR-40 here: http://www.jgwindows.com/dual-mtr40-p...
    Dual Turntables: http://amzn.to/2jQhca0

Obviously the Dual MTR40 is based on the classic Technics SL1200 but is also very similar to the more expensive Audio Technica AT120 Turntable.

It features an Audio Technica AT91 cartridge.

- See more at: http://www.jgwindows.com/dj-equipment...

19. searcher

Pro-Ject at CES 2017
    Analog Planet

Published on Jan 9, 2017
    Pro-Ject had two rooms at CES 2017. One included a few prototypes and special "one-off" designs, including one for the band Wilco and one for Best Buy/Magnolia currently available, produced for Ron Howard's Beatles film. The other room includes new Pro-Ject turntables and electronics to be introduced this year. Your guide in that room is Pro-Ject President and founder Heinz Lichtenegger, who told me that the astonishing number of Pro-Ject turntables sold in 2016 that he gave me for my "state of analog" speech at the L.A. and Orange County Audio Society, was wrong. The number included a fourth quarter estimate that proved to be far lower than the actual sales.

20. searcher

Veteran Recording Engineer Phil Brown Talks With AnalogPlanet Editor Michael Fremer Part I
    Analog Planet

Published on Feb 9, 2017
    Early in his career as a young "tape op", veteran recording engineer Phill Brown produced overdubs on Traffic's memorable first album, assisted Glyn Johns on the Small Faces' masterpiece "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake", in the same capacity witnessed Jimi Hendrix create "All Along the Watchtower" and later engineered albums by Stealers Wheel, Roxy Music John Martyn, Sly Stone, Harry Nilsson, Robert Palmer, Jeff Beck, David Bowie and others, and of course, what some consider his most significant musical and sonic achievement, engineering Talk Talk's "Spirit of Eden" and "Laughing Stock". He was there for "Stairway to Heaven" too! All of this and more is detailed in his terrific and highly recommended book "Are We Still Rolling?" (Tape-op Books). When the opportunity arose to interview him at his home south of London, analogPlanet editor Michael Fremer leaped at the chance and headed down to Phill's home to speak with him. On the train down, the Wi-Fi network "TalkTalk52191C" appeared on his phone. Here's hoping the individual who created that network finds this multipart interview!

21. searcher

Phill Brown Interview Part 2 With AnalogPlanet Editor Michael Fremer
    Analog Planet

Published on Feb 9, 2017
    Here's the second part of veteran recording engineer's conversation with analogPlanet editor Michael Fremer. It picks up where part one left off, with Talk Talk and moves on to discussing rescuing master tapes from a dumpster, what makes a great producer, the "plastic" state of modern recordings, recording Joni Mitchell and Bob Marley live, assisting Glyn Johns on the Small Faces' epic "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake", what it meant to start out as a tape-op and much more.

22. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    I wonder if the movie Oblivion has triggered some people into wanting to go back? I thought that was a good SF flick but I had to laugh at the idyllic survivalist retreat Tom's character had built (or found) in the valley beyond the radiation zone. The beautiful meadows and lake, the wind generator and solar panels, even a basketball hoop lol. All that was missing was a Big ol apple pie on the table. The American dream...

I'm quite happy with MP3's. My ears aint what they used to be so anything better would be a waste.

23. searcher

The Vinyl Llama Show - Ep.1 - $12,000 Crosley, 1 Billion dollars of vinyl and CES 2017
    AudioLlama

Published on Jan 24, 2017
    Welcome to episode 1 of the extremely poorly named 'Llama Show'. This is going to being be a bi-weekly (hopefully!) hangout for all things Vinyl, turntable, hifi and Llama related.

This is still a work in progress and I'd very much like your input into what you want it to be and it'll gradually get more bombastic and radical.

This week we have tech news for CES 2017 (Yes I realise it's a little late)
    New Turntables from Technics, Crosley and Dual and well as TV with no speakers from Sony.

Vinyl + record player sales are set to reach 1 billion dollars of global revenue this year.

A few more Q and A's about:
    The Yamaha AS1100 and 2100 amplifiers
    Where do I get my records from?
    Does the Pro-ject Debut Carbon hum

A the Vinyl Vault with viewer submitted awesome set-ups!
    If you want to submit your own set ups or whatever you've been listening to, send them to my facebook to have them featured!

Find me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/audiollama/?...
    Check me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/audiollamag...
    Twerk me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/audio_llama

24. searcher

Phill Brown Interview Part 3 With AnalogPlanet Editor Michael Fremer
    Analog Planet

Published on Feb 9, 2017
    Here is the third and final installment of the Phill Brown interview. Enjoy!

25. searcher

Cheap turntables - Are they really THAT bad?
    VWestlife

Published on Feb 13, 2017
    The Audio-Technica AT-LP60, Pioneer PL-990, and other similar inexpensive turntables are very popular and generally get good reviews, but they've come under criticism for various reasons which I discuss and test in this in-depth video, to find out if that criticism is valid or not.

3:11 Tracking force
    8:13 Anti-skating
    12:12 Skipping on modern vinyl?
    15:30 Speed stability
    18:00 Audio quality & upgrades
    19:23 A cheap turntable makes cheap records sound better
    21:24 My conclusion
    22:37 Other people's opinions about these turntables

26. searcher

AnalogPlanet.com Visits Rega Research Part 1
    Analog Planet

Published on Feb 14, 2017
    More than 20 years have passed since analogPlanet.com editor Michael Fremer first visited Rega Research. Back then the company had just moved into its recently completed, spacious new factory and there was room to spare. Today, despite since adding a new building and turning mezzanine level storage areas into factory space the company is again squeezed. It's taken storage space across the way, yet, as you'll see, it's again "cozy" as turntable sales soar. The company currently ships monthly approximately 6000 turntables. This is the first of a multi-part factory tour hosted by Rega co-founder Roy Gandy that you're sure to find fascinating and surprising. You'll learn that the word "research" in the company name is not a vain descriptor! BTW: "Terry" is Terry Bateman, Rega's chief electronics designer and Ashton is a young American engineer who recently joined Rega. Greater historical background will be forthcoming in a review of the new Rega book.

27. searcher

Analogplanet Visits Rega Research Part 2
    Analog Planet

Published on Feb 15, 2017
    Here's part 2 of AnalogPlanet editor Michael Fremer's Rega Research tour. This section covers tone arm building, bearing selection, wiring and final arm testing as well as a look at assembling integrated amplifiers, CD players and DACs.

28. searcher

AnalogPlanet Visits Rega Research Part 3
    Analog Planet

Published on Feb 16, 2017
    In this segment we see electronics being "soak tested", see tone arm wiring looms being produced and watch how even the least expensive P1 arm is carefully hand-assembled. At the end you'll see a sequence shot "off-site" showing the fabrication of the company's plastic dust covers. There's more to come.

29. searcher

AnalogPlanet Visits Rega Research Part 4
    Analog Planet

Published on Feb 16, 2017
    In this "episode" you will see that Rega's dedication to quality control extends from the top of the line P10 to the very bottom P1. All get similar testing. The testing quality itself has improved too over the years. Co-founder Roy Gandy shows off bearing quality. There's a lot to watch here, and as well in the next "episode"!

30. searcher

AnalogPlanet Visits Rega Research—Finale (Part 5)
    Analog Planet

Published on Feb 18, 2017
    What goes into a Rega drive belt? What does Rega have planned for the new Planar 6? What about the Naiad— the upcoming "ultimate Rega" turntable? What does it look like? All are included in this, the final "episode" of "AnalogPlanet visits Rega Research"

31. searcher

RECORDS PLAYERS Are COOL AGAIN!
    Vinyl Eyezz

Published on Feb 18, 2017
    Visit our Sponsor Enjoy the Ride Records Below!

▶Enjoy the Ride Records HERE:
    http://www.enjoytheride.storenvy.com

▶ MY VINYL GEAR
    LP - 120 Turntable: http://amzn.to/2gyFdUx
    Headphones: http://amzn.to/2fXdWaS
    Klipsch Speakers: http://amzn.to/2gyEiUh
    Yamaha Receiver: http://amzn.to/2gyxCVW
    Pioneer Subwoofer: http://amzn.to/2fsWVJn
    Record Needle: http://amzn.to/2gopLaE
    Belkin Power Strip: http://amzn.to/2gyF8Ak
    LED DeskLamp: http://amzn.to/2l74HuM
    Inner Sleeves: http://amzn.to/2gyGKtU
    3M Dual LOCK: http://amzn.to/2fESkz2
    Zip Ties (BLACK): http://amzn.to/2fEMHkr

▶ Follow Me
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/VinylEyezz
    Twitter - https://twitter.com/VinylEyezz
    Instagram - https://instagram.com/VinylEyezz

32. searcher

Chasing the Dragon Records' Direct-to-Disc AIR Studios Recording Session Part 1
    Analog Planet

Published on Feb 21, 2017
    Chasing the Dragon record producer Mike Valentine’s business is underwater but he’s not complaining. The reknowned underwater cinematographer’s work can be seen in James Bond movies like “Casino Royale” and “Skyfall” as well as in “Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace”, “The Bourne Ultimatum” and dozens of other movies, television series and music videos.

Among Valentine’s other passions are music and good sound. His Chasing the Dragon label has so far released four well-received Direct-to-Disc records, including the Grammy® nominated, “A Tribute to Ella Fitzgerald” performed by the popular British jazz singer Clare Teal.

Valentine and his wife and business partner Francoise invited AnalogPlanet editor Michael Fremer to attend the February 10th, 2017 recording at AIR Studios in London, of Chasing the Dragon’s upcoming new release “ESPAÑA- a tribute to Spain” featuring the music of Bizet, Chabrier and Rimsky-Korsakov.

This video provides a behind the scenes look at the pre-recording session preparations and a rehearsal session, the final takes of which in around six weeks will be available on 180g vinyl (Direct-to-Disc) as well as on “binaural” vinyl sourced from a double DSD master. You can already download from the company’s website (http://www.chasingthedragon.co.uk/sho...) double DSD, 24/192 and 24/192 binaural digital versions, recorded simultaneously with the D2D all-analog cut.

In the video you will “meet” Mr. Valentine and see (and hear in rehearsal) Mezzo-Soprano Rosie Middleton and the National Symphony Orchestra. Also in the video are conductor Debbie Wiseman, sound mixer Rupert Coulson and vinyl cutting engineers John Webber and Cicely Balston. Also the "Ray" referred to in the mastering suite is, of course, Ray Staff, who is now semi-retired, but who originally cut David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust" album back in 1972 and also cut the more recent Bowie vinyl box set(s).

Shortly, on the analogplanet.com website you’ll be able to stream free of charge, a high resolution excerpt of the binaural head recording.

33. searcher

High Drama at Chasing the Dragon Direct-to-Disc AIR Studio Recording Session Part 2
    Analog Planet

Published on Feb 22, 2017
    The orchestra rehearses downstairs while upstairs the mastering room records and plays back a test recording.

Finally, it's time for a recorded take of the "Carmen" excerpts with Mezzo-Soprano Rosie Middleton. The tension is palpable in both the control room and upstairs. It's quickly clear that the free- spirited rehearsal has given way to a darker, more constrained performance that satisfies no one, especially Ms. Middleton.

The second take is better but is still missing the required "magic". Take three is "the one". Everyone is relieved!

Then, after a lunch break, it's on to the Chabrier "España". After a recorded rehearsal playback, it's time for a take. The first performance is spirited but an orchestral crescendo causes the cutting stylus to crash through the groove wall into an adjacent groove, requiring a second take.

There's another great performance, but higher drama could be found in the mastering suite, all of which is captured on the video.

Quick, decisive thinking and gutsy actions by mastering engineer John Webber saves the lacquer from disaster (as you'll see) but a third take (not shown) proves to be by far the best and it will be the one you'll hear on the final vinyl record.

Please keep in mind the sound you hear on this video was captured by the Audio-Technica "shotgun" microphone attached to a camcorder and is NOT the actual recorded sound (given what it is, though, it's pretty good!)

Meanwhile, if you want to hear a minute and a half of the full resolution 192/14 bit binaural head recording, you can click on the link you'll find within Part 1 of the analogPlanet story http://www.analogplanet.com/content/b...

34. searcher

FEEDBANDS: Vinyl WORTHY Music!
    Vinyl Eyezz

Published on Feb 25, 2017
    Visit our Sponsor Feedbands Below!

▶FEEDBANDS: http://feedbands.com/vinyl

▶ MY VINYL GEAR
    Headphones: http://amzn.to/2fXdWaS
    Klipsch Speakers: http://amzn.to/2gyEiUh
    LP - 120 Turntable: http://amzn.to/2gyFdUx
    Yamaha Receiver: http://amzn.to/2gyxCVW
    Pioneer Subwoofer: http://amzn.to/2fsWVJn
    Record Needle: http://amzn.to/2gopLaE
    Belkin Power Strip: http://amzn.to/2gyF8Ak
    LED DeskLamp: http://amzn.to/2l74HuM
    Inner Sleeves: http://amzn.to/2gyGKtU
    3M Dual LOCK: http://amzn.to/2fESkz2
    Zip Ties (BLACK): http://amzn.to/2fEMHkr

▶ Follow Me
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/VinylEyezz
    Twitter - https://twitter.com/VinylEyezz
    Instagram - https://instagram.com/VinylEyezz

Send us Music!
    Jarrett New
    P.O. Box 2331
    Toluca Lake, CA 91610

▶ FILM GEAR
    Camera: http://amzn.to/2goqloV
    Lens: http://amzn.to/2gyImE4
    Mic: http://amzn.to/2gyGivH
    Sound: http://amzn.to/2gyIzH9

Business Inquires - vinyleyezz@yahoo.com

Royalty Free Music
    www.tracktourmusic.com

This video is Sponsored by Feedbands.
    Thanks Graham!

DISCLAIMER: This video and description may contain affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small commission. This helps support the channel and allows me to continue to make videos like this. Thank you for the support!

35. searcher

Third Man Pressing Plant Opening Party
    Analog Planet

Published on Feb 25, 2017
    AnalogPlanet editor Michael Fremer was honored to be invited to the Third Man Pressing Plant Opening Party in Detroit, February 24th. The amazing gathering included all of the major American pressing plant owners including QRP's Chad Kassem, RTI's Don MacInnis, Rainbo's Steve Sheldon, URP's Mark Michaels and Gotta Groove's Matt Earley. Also in attendance were Zane Howard and Michael Thomas of Second Line Vinyl—a new pressing plant start up. Also there: Stoughton Press's Jack Stoughton, Jr. (LP jacket manufacturer), Newbilt's Bernd Blunk (press manufacturer) and PVC "pellet man" Casey Gibson. No doubt leaving some people out. It was a super-fun evening of vinyl-culture camaraderie, the likes of which no CD pressing plant opening has ever seen! Thanks to Jack White and his staffers for a super evening of fun and excellent food, music and libations.

36. searcher

Does a better turntable actually sound better?
    VWestlife

Published on Mar 3, 2017
    Comparing audio quality between a new $99 Audio-Technica AT-LP60 turntable and a far superior vintage 1970s Technics SL-1900 turntable equipped with the popular and well-reviewed AT95E phono cartridge.

Pre-emptive FAQ:
    Q: Some guy on Reddit or Vinyl Engine told me not to watch this video.
    A: Too late!

Q: How am I supposed to compare audio quality through a YouTube video with compressed audio?
    A: You don't have to. You can download the audio samples in uncompressed WAV format here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_o...

Q: The music isn't good enough to reveal the true difference in audio quality between the turntables.
    A: Unfortunately, until someone releases royalty-free music on vinyl, I'm limited by what music I can use that won't result in YouTube putting copyright restrictions on this video. But here's the $99 AT-LP60 playing a Linda Ronstadt song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9y9g... You can compare that to the same song being played on a VPI Scout (a $2200 turntable) with an Ortofon 2M Black (a $700 phono cartridge): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeHMg...

Q: The AT95E is still only a "budget" phono cartridge. You need to use a much better cartridge to make this a valid comparison.
    A: Many reviewers insist that the AT-LP120 and other mid-range turntables equipped with the AT95E cartridge offer "significantly better sound quality" and "will get a finer, more detailed sound out fof records" than the AT-LP60's AT3600L cartridge. Judge for yourself if you think that's true.

Q: Regardless of the audio quality, everyone tells me the AT-LP60 is a bad turntable.
    A: See my video "Cheap turntables - Are they really THAT bad?": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZ9l...

37. searcher

Definitive Audio's Music Matters 12, 2017
    Analog Planet

Published on Mar 14, 2017
    Last week in Seattle Definitive Audio hosted its 12th annual Music Matters event. Manufacturers teamed up and took over the store's listening rooms. Customers and the public were invited and were treated to food, drinks and great music, moving from room to room every half-hour from 5PM to 9PM. AnalogPlanet editor Michael Fremer wasn't there to sell anything but rather to spin some vinyl to let people hear differences among various reissues of the same title. It's fun, but requires a great deal of stamina and discipline repeating the same program eight times! For greater detail about the equipment shown in the video and the presenters, please visit the Stereophile website. The video opens with our host, Definitive's Craig Abplanalp "rallying the troops" before the guests entered the store.

38. searcher

A Conversation With Singer/Songwriter/Raconteur Judith Owen
    Analog Planet

Published on Mar 9, 2017
    This video accompanies a review of "Somebody's Child" Judith Owen's new Twanky Records album just published on AnalogPlanet.com. Ms. Owen's current American tour has her opening for Bryan Ferry and also headlining in many venues. She's been releasing self-produced albums for the past two decades. This new one, beautifully recorded and mixed, features Owen on piano, and veterans Leland Sklar on bass, Russ Kunkel on drums and Waddy Wachtel on guitar, augmented by a string section. Bernie Grundman mastered the superb-sounding vinyl release. An Owen concert is part music, part comedy and part psychotherapy. AnalogPlanet editor Michael Fremer spoke with her recently in New York City.

39. searcher

Listen to Nick Culp's "The Culprit's Blues"
    Analog Planet

Published on Mar 14, 2017
    Here's a brand new "classic jazz" album recorded live to 2" 1/2 track analog tape that you'll surely enjoy both for the music and the superb sound. You can read a full review on analogplanet.com as well as listen to a 96/24 high resolution file of this track

40. searcher

Celebrate Saint Patrick's Day With Davy Spillane's "Atlantic Bridge"
    Analog Planet

Published on Mar 17, 2017
    Irish Uillean pipes player Davy Spillane explores in the title tune of his 1987 album "Atlantic Bridge" (TARA 3019) the connection between traditional Irish music and American Bluegrass with the help of banjo virtuoso Bela Fleck and on Dobro Jerry Douglas plus Christy Moore on Bodran and a few other "locals". As usual, the Landsdowne Studio sound is spectacular