1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Gold Rush Alaska - Season 2

Discussion in 'Gold Silver (All things Metal)' started by ~BS, Nov 21, 2011.

1. ~BS

~BS Gold Member Gold Chaser

I know there's a thread created earlier, but I couldn't find it via search.

Just wondering if anyone is watching this season. In short, it's a continuation of what happened last year with more cluster ****s and "I know the gold is here, we just gotta git it"s.

The funniest thing this season so far (i think) is when they were told by the claim owner where the "virgin ground" is, and yet they took a week to plow an area the size of a football field that's covered in tailings. Then he comes to check up on their progress, sees where they dug, and gives them a "wtf are you guys doing" look. lol

2. Mr. Shiny

Mr. Shiny Silver Member Silver Miner

But weird beard's gut told him there's 200 ounces there.

Yes, I am watching and loving it.

It really is a comedy of errors on the Hoffman's part whether they or Discovery know it, these 7 miners can't do what the other two camps are doing with 3 miners each. It's always someone or something else's fault.

But I am betting that the Hoffman's come out of this season with the most gold. Not due to experience, intellect or luck, but because Discovery salts the take in an effort to continue the series.

America despises Fred Hurt for what they call claim jumping, and laugh at the fact he has torn down the old Hoffman site, difference being, Fred is in it for the long haul, he's got the means, he's being paid to appear on the show, he's in no rush.
    Hell, he's collected more gold than the Hoffman's and he hasn't run a scoop of material yet.
    And Parker has collected more gold by re-running his grandfathers tailings.

The running joke is the Hoffman's lose their airport by defaulting on the loan they've taken against it, Jimmy Dorsey (the scourge of last season) buys it, expands, and runs tours/freight to mining camps in Alaska.

Canadian-guerilla likes this.
  3. mtnclimberjim

mtnclimberjim Gold Member Gold Chaser

Guide///District maint manager
    I love this show. I pulled 1oz of placer gold out of my river last yr with a 5" suction dredge, so I have the bug real bad.

4. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    I am really glad they added Fred and Parker to the show i enjoy watching them run and do things.....watching the show the Hoffmans appear to not have learned anything from last year they are a good example of a crew that has no real Boss and Leadership is very suspect at best.

5. ~BS

I do think a lot of the show is staged, but they were smart enough to realize that viewers would quickly get tired of another season featuring the hoffman's screw ups for an entire hour.

So they have 3 mines:

1. established & operational, pulling gold
    2. mine being set up by a reasonably experienced miner (there's backstories on "dakota fred" online)
    3. greenhorn mine / cluster****

I did find it interesting that fred chose to destroy the hoffman's washplant instead of running it while waiting for his other equipment to arrive. That hole they were digging in was producing. The equipment was already all set up. He could have just ran the washplant into the ground until it broke. He could have mined the hole in a different way, maybe use the dozer to expand around the hole and simply push/scoop loads of dirt to the washplant instead of pulling 1 cu ft loads out of the "glory hole" with the excavator like old man hoffman.

6. goldie40

goldie40 Silver Member Silver Miner

I watchd it a couple times last yr and thought they all should be stocking shelves at Shop-Right, maybe if the know it all father and son left,especially the son with the goatee, they could get something done. I would want to have any of theose people on that channel for neighbors.

7. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Gotta agree they are challanged, perhaps there's a local car wash hiring.

8. Book

Book Banned

[​IMG]

Camera crew probably had to show them how to start that fire.

:flute:

9. Pyramid

Pyramid Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I'm watching as well, if nothing else for the comedy of errors by that Hoffman crew...those knobshines couldn't find gold if they were standing in the vault of the Royal Canadian Mint.

That 16-year old Parker "kid" is perhaps more inteligent than the rest of the "characters." I have no clue how much of it is real vs. staged, but that Hoffman crew has a ton of FRN's invested in equipment alone. Those knobshines would probably have to mine 100 Oz just to break even. Looking forward to this weeks episode to see how they can screw up next, the G-Friend is even into it.

Tecumseh and Gordon Gekko like this.
  10. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Or cook a fricking hot dog or marshmallow.

11. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Seeker Seeker

Similar to The Walking Dead (in case anybody watches this AMC show), Gold Rush is quickly turning into a soap opera/drama. I am getting bored to tears watching it. Heck, last episode I do not think they even showed a FLAKE of gold. Pathetic. :banghead:

12. Mr. Shiny

This Friday they (well, someone) grow(s) a brain and they drill some boreholes to see if they are actually on a gold field. So, yeah, this season the Hoffman's will get gold.

'Big Boot' has to abandon his operation to return to ND as a flood apparently wipes out his home. I'm sure the Hoffman clan whooped it up after hearing that news.

13. Tecumseh

Tecumseh Silver Member Silver Miner

Like others have said - who knows how much is staged - I suspect a good bit of it but I couldn't help but laugh when Todd Hoffman walked into the woods a bit and decided that he was on "virgin ground" and everyone just went right along with him - including the allegedly experienced miner Dave? Who's family allegedly runs the biggest quarry in Oregon - maybe makes sense why they gave their blessing for him to go to the Klondike - probably cheaper than letting him screw up operations at home.

14. Mr. Shiny

I'd say 90% is real, but creative editing makes the drama.
    We here (PM people) view things differently than the other 99% that watch the show, at least I do, the public sees what the program feeds them, 7 down on their luck go-getters living the American dream, and view the Hoffman crew as heroes. I can't stomach those fools, and watch full of Schadenfreude at their misadventures and misfortune.

It struck me as strange how America had sympathy for the Hoffman's when Weird Beard and Crusty had their falling out, but when Big Boot and his boy scrapped, Fred deserved it for mistreating his son.

15. vintage collector

vintage collector Seeker Seeker

With all the money the Hoffman's have "invested" in the past two years, they should have just bought physical PM's with it and sat back for 5-10 years years. :bird:

16. ttazzman

I found it intresting that they claim to have bought the D8 dozer with a ripper for 30something K ........if i could buy equipment that cheap you could make tons of money just buying and reselling equipment..

from what i saw that is a mid to late 90s D8 with a ripper in good running condition 30k is half price

17. ~BS

especially in alaska.... you have to figure that any mining equipmetn will be at a premium. Found it interesting how they all have new trucks too. I'd figure that "down on their luck miners" would seem to be a bit more down on their luck. lol

18. MarinePride

MarinePride Seeker Seeker

Work...and support the rotten system? No way!
    I like the show a lot, but I really want to know how much these guys are making out of this? They are obviously being paid by Discovery Channel, how else could they afford to do this? I've never seen their type of failure, outside of gov't, continue for very long unless someone else is paying the bills.

19. ~BS

so finally, 5 episodes into the second season, the concept of drilling test holes come up. lol

Mr.Greenjeans likes this.
  20. shades

shades Gold Member Gold Chaser

It is pretty much a comedy of errors, I feel the most for the people who risked it all, and work the hardest like James Harness.

They go into things without a plan, and that's a recipe for failure. They react to when things go wrong and totally learn the hard way.

Harness is the only person that critiques their designs and looks for better ways to do things, but the Hoffman's seem to wield all the decision making power for some reason.

If they make any money beyond the checks that Discovery cut for them, I'd be surprised.

The only saving grace is they gave it a shot, and it's a good warning for anyone considering the same thing... It certainly makes for entertaining viewing anyway, and a look at
    a different type of life and way to make a living.

21. ME Co.

ME Co. Silver Member Silver Miner

Since we cut our cable to the bare minimum I can't get Discovery anymore, did get a free preview last weekend and caught the first 4 or 5. Definately not missing anything, just entertainment not educational. Just imagining what I could have done with a fraction of that startup money and that many hands- of course those "hands" would mostly be fired. I went and made some money mining this year, now the seasons over here and I gotta figure something else out.
    HH all, Mark

Pyramid likes this.
  22. shades

One of their biggest mistakes is getting too many people involved. They have to pay everyone somehow, and the reality is they don't seem to have been paid for their hard work yet.

If you look at the other small claim miners, they are small operations with just a few people, and build from there if necessary.

23. Spike

Spike Gold Member Gold Chaser

They are getting paid...per episode, I read somewhere, the Dorsey guy was getting

$1000.00 for each episode, they get about 2 episodes out of filming each week. (guessing)

The Hoffmans are getting much more then that.

Hell....The Jersey Shore brats are each pulling in $100,000.00 per show.

shades likes this.
  24. Fixture

Fixture Seeker Seeker

Initially, Harness had some degree of my empathy. However, with his mother ailing and his medical/morphine issues, he had absolutely no business going up there.

Then, when he pushed that old man (Dakota), he lost all my empathy. He should have had his ass kicked for that little stunt. No apology, no nothing

25. Bx3

Bx3 Silver Member Silver Miner

The Hoffmans.........proof positive that life is harder when your stupid. Bx3

26. Mr. Shiny

Oh well, he'll lose your respect this Friday, (or is it next?) when he's too busy getting his wick wet to be bothered with gold mining.

27. Mr. Shiny

What really gets me is it seems that everyone has his 'assignment' and if he's not doing what his 'job' entails he's off galavanting or 'pounding sand'. Seven men on the claim last season, not a single person puddling the sluice. Hell, Schnabel's got three men, and one is busy working the sluice.

shades likes this.
  28. ttazzman

you would think that while one or two are running the dozer and excavator ...that the others would be repairing and getting the plant running...

29. Mr. Shiny

With all the talk last season (and the first of this season) of 'hot stuff' in their 'glory hole' and 'we are going to get nuggets of gold' these schmucks would realize that the shaker will discard anything larger than x", the trommel discarding anything larger than x" and x", without supervision any nugget however rare it would be to find, ends up in their tailings. These idiots could have mined anything from a marble to a football sized chunk and it would have rolled right past them.

As far as editing, Friday's episode was clear Discovery doesn't care how believable the show is, am I actually supposed to believe bad luck struck every mine at the same time?

30. lightcycler

lightcycler Silver Member Silver Miner

A guy needs to puddle the sluice every now and then for sure :flute:

shades likes this.
  31. Pyramid

Pyramid Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

The Hoffman crew has to be getting paid (subsidized), as the microscopic amount of gold they actually mined last year wouldn't have paid for rations, let alone all the equipment/labor/fuel etc. Those knobshines have zero gold for this year as of the last episode. I wouldn't think that a niche TV show like this would have much of an audience or ratings, but that's for the network to decide.

I would bet a SAE that Carhartt is a sponsor of the show. Every guy on that Hoffman crew is sporting Carhartt jeans and/or jacket and bibs at all times. Nothing against Carhartt as I own some of their clothing myself...but it is the most overpriced, foreign-made gear on the market. What a clever marketing ploy for the "All-American dream" of pursuing hard work and freedom by hanging out in Alaska and mining gold, or whatever these clowns pretend to be doing.

32. shades

I hope a bunch of people don't charge up there hoping to make their fortune...

Frozen wilderness, accidents, bears to eat you, chance to lose all your life savings on a dream...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  33. ME Co.

ME Co. Silver Member Silver Miner

Not much danger of that IMO with their anti-success. Now if they were cleaning up a solid yella sluice every week, well then look out Yukon- heck I might would be having stupid thoughts myself haha. HH Mark

shades likes this.
  34. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    I'll say this for the show, it is more interesting than most of what ever else is on the network channels and for a plus, we get to see how all that equipment made for mining is supposed to work in those illustrations the producers give. Not that any of the crews on any of the claims are really showing much intelligence - especially toward each other.

shades likes this.
  35. wproie

wproie New Member

I love this show. The stupider they are the more valuable my existing gold becomes.

36. Mr. Shiny

Lt. I am not following you, why do you say that about the other crews (Hurt, Schnabel)? These two aren't 'T.V. miners', sure they are on the show, and get paid to appear, but who wouldn't want some extra bux?

The kid while sort of green needs to learn somehow, sink or swim. He seemed to be doing alright, sure the decision to work the area with the busted dredge was a red herring, but that was Grandpa's honey hole, the old guy thought it was rich.

Fred Hurt isn't interested in running the Hoffman's equipment, he had to run it last year, this time out he wants to do things his way, buying the equipment from the Hoffman's was a smart move on his part, much easier to buy it, remove it, sell it off, than to have to wait for the Hollywood Hoffman's to come and remove it. And subsequently have to worry about them saying he sabotaged it.

37. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    Kinda left off the part "- especially toward each other". - Not sure, unless it is the kid, if I'd want any for friends or neighbors - for that matter. But the kid is working a claim that is probably almost played out and grandpa is just laughing about it. the kid is trying, I'll give him that.

All Fred really did when he bought out the claim is buy himself a pack of problems. Even his plan will cost him plenty by the time he gets it up and running, if he does. With one set back after another, he's not looking as smart as he thinks he is.

The Hoffman crew are the real losers even if their new claim does pan out for them in gold, they are not the type of people that could make it work. I almost feel sorry for Todd with a dad like Jack screwing things up all the time. Almost would have been better for the crew if he had just gone home.

Kind of a grease opera, or dirt opera whatever ya call a soap opera targeted at mostly guys. Notice how all their personalities change when the camera starts rolling.

Like I said, I like the part where the producers show how a piece of gold equipment is supposed to work, those are the educational parts that seems to be lacking in the Hoffman's plan.

Gordon Gekko likes this.
  38. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Seeker Seeker

Not quite sure I could have said it better myself.

Hopefully they actually get mining this week. But from the looks of it, the episode will probably be split 50% dragging on about James's girl problems and 50% Fred moping around about his house going under water (literally). Hopefully I am wrong.

Lt Dan likes this.
  39. azxcvbnm321

azxcvbnm321 Silver Member Silver Miner

The only reason a 19(?) year old kid would be allowed to take over a mine is if the mine is already played out. I think everyone, including the kid and workers, know that the mine is kinda depleted, but this is a good way for grandpa to give the kid some real world learning experience on how to run a claim with minimal downside. So what if the kid screws up? And he's going to screw up because he has no experience, the land doesn't have much gold left anyway. If the kid can't produce a profit, the mine closes down which is no big deal since grandpa made his money anyway. If the kid can produce a profit, the mine stays in operation until he can't anymore.

I think grandpa was already going to close down the operation, but figured that it would be good to give it to the kid so that he could learn how hard and stressful operating something like that really is. After this year, the kid will be well on his way to finding a place of his own to mine and have the background necessary to have a chance at being successful.

shades likes this.
  40. Mr. Shiny

It wasn't 'kinda left off', it was intentional, all that infighting and bad attitude between the camps and members of the crews is standard reality show fare, be it 'Survivor' to 'Housewives of something or somewhere'. It's a non-issue created in editing. >99% of viewership doesn't care about gold or the mining, they want drama, escapism, they want to sit and dream about being there doing it, without actually getting off the sofa.

shades likes this.