1. kenyan care remains, no vote. Libtards and msm declare massive victory.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have a great weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/25/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1248.50-- UP 18.30 Silver $17.75-- UP 34 Oil $47.97-- DOWN 134 TICS USD $99.42 -- DOWN 66 tics

Got a fake from ebay

Discussion in 'Purchasing Precious Metals' started by TylerDurden, Mar 8, 2017.

1. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Seeker Seeker

Accountant
    Just got a coin I purchased on ebay and from the moment I got it out I knew it was fake. I messaged the guy and he responded pretty quickly saying he had no idea and will gladly refund my money once I send it back. Claims he bought a lot off someone else and is now worried he got ripped off too. Has anyone dealt with something like this and if so, what's the best way to ensure I get my money back. I'm so pissed at myself right now.

2. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

Home Improvement Contractor
    It has happened to just about anyone. You could open a not as described claim with ebay and return the coin to seller. Seller should refund your funds promptly. If not, the NAD claim alerts ebay that there is an issue. Refrain from leaving feedback until you know which direction this is heading.

3. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    for sure ship back tracked and signature required........dont know if its true but heard that paypal was no longer protecting on person to person PM sales ..dont know if that applies to ebay or not

TylerDurden likes this.
  4. Fatboy

Fatboy Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Used Up and Retired Out
    That sucks!

Did you video the opening of the package when you received it? Don't want the seller saying he/she sent a 2012 coin and you sent back a 2014.

Like has been said, ship back with tracking and insurance. I would also video the packaging of the coin, showing the date of the coin as you wrap it and place in the box. Tape the wrapped coin to the inside of the box too. Then secure the outside of the box with tape (all on one video with no breaks) I would also use the tape on the outside of the box that says... STOP If seal is broken or package damaged check contents before signing receipt. While it's slow and expensive, depending on the dollar amount of the coin... $25 or $1200, I might also spend the extra $$ to have it ship registered mail so there is secure shipping, a signature required and insurance that will actually cover your loss if it were to happen while in transit. If you go registered, there is no need for the printed tape as you will need to use the paper tape they require and they will hand stamp the edges of the tape and box all over to show if there has been any tampering in transit. I would also expect to be reimbursed by the seller for return shipping costs.

Good luck!

Weatherman likes this.
  5. AguA

AguA Seeker Seeker

Good suggestions above. My bad eBay experience was a seller that sent out an empty box purposefully sealed with scotch tape. When I reported to PayPal, it turned out there were several others to whom the exact same had occurred. PayPal/eBay took care of getting my money ($1600) back without hassle and they took actions against the seller.

I found out about the others when one contacted me after I posted my situation online. I'd say you're off to a good start. Hope it all works out for you.

http://www.goldismoney2.com/threads/ebayers-beware-of-seller.27590/

6. historyrepete

historyrepete Silver Member Silver Miner

I'm more and more concerned with internet sales. I'd rather meet in an alley off Craigslist.
    Good luck eventually middleman won't wanna eat the cost. I'm suspect on all em.

7. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

Hopefully things work out and your get your monies back Sir Tyler.

Couple of years back a seller I had bought from previously sent me a message saying he had made an honest mistake and sent me some coins that someone else had purchased.
    He ask kindly for their return when they arrived and of course I did because it was the white thing to do.
    About a year later I was attempting to send a PayPal payment to a fellow gim'er when i fecked up and sent it to a total stranger.
    I messaged the guy and told him of my honest mistake and asked very nicely if he would please return the misdirected payment.
    Days turned to weeks and after nearly two months
    and just a day or two before jingle bells were ringing I noticed a credit to my account... clicked on the attached message which simply read "Merry Christmas".

What goes around comes around, perhaps this was an honest folly, best of luck.

D-FENZ likes this.
  8. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

I have not had it happen to me so what follows is not from experience:

-depends on payment type, if CC, then you can file dispute with CC
    -file claim at ebay
    -send a request to perform to the seller, ie refund

dependent on seller, he may have gotten it from someone else without lineage, maybe even not aware that it was a fake

(thanks for starting a thread on this as it is more important than being buried in a thread somewhere)

9. Scorpio

at the bottom of the profile page, link to 'resolution' provides this:

1.jpg

10. Scorpio

11. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    In my experience, thousans of Ebay transactions,
    Ebay is way more up on disputes and returns these
    days. More than ever they are serious about it.
    IMHO....ALWAYS use ths Ebay smart buttons for returns etc and their system.
    Ok to email or pm the people direct but opening up a " case " inside the direct Ebay system has been most helpful for me.YMMV of course.
    Regards to all,
    Haystack

gringott and Weatherman like this.
  12. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Years back I bought what was supposed to be 2 old pour jm bars 10 oz each, the guy sent me two fake Chinese bars, not even a fake jm bar, opened dispute he said to return them, I returned them and he reufused the package and it was sent back to me, scanned the docs , sent to pp and they gave me my money back so eneded up with my money and his 2 jake bars which I put in the trash.

D-FENZ likes this.
  13. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

For the last several years, eBay and PayPal, for the most part, adhere to the adage that the customer is always right. And they don't mess around. As soon as the dispute is opened through eBay, PayPal will freeze the disputed funds in the seller's account until the transaction is settled. The last thing eBay wants is to be known for sales of fakes and knock-offs.

About a month ago I sold an industrial part on eBay. The customer realized that he had ordered the wrong part number and returned it. I happened to be in the shop when FedEx dropped off the return and I immediately logged in to refund the buyer. Too late. It's automated. FedEx tracking had indicated that the return was delivered and eBay that quickly refunded the buyer from my PayPal account. Couldn't have been 2 minutes.

I would feel better about returns through eBay than some local vendors.

stonedywankanobe likes this.
  14. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

With a little Duc(t/k) Tape you could have had a perfectly good door stop. OR used as bait for any potential thief.

15. Scorpio

now why would you want to screw a hard working thief?

what is this world coming to............

:jail:

stonedywankanobe likes this.
  16. TylerDurden

Accountant
    Thanks for the tips. The thought crossed my mind of videoing the opening because the box felt a little lighter than I thought it would. Then I thought, the hell with it, it's probably just lighter packaging. SMH

17. TylerDurden

Accountant
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I've been in meetings all day and I just checked my account. Turns out it was an honest mistake on the sellers part as he's already refunded my money on Paypal without me having even shipped the coin. Now I feel bad for the guy because he said he bought a lot from someone else on ebay to try to help get out of a financial pinch, and this coin was part of that lot, so he's worried about the rest.

18. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Very similar situation here 2x in last 6 months.
    Its automated and super fast.
    Regards DF,

D-FENZ likes this.
  19. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

Home Improvement Contractor
    Good to hear all went well for you, Mr. Durden Sir. I list jewelry and Sterling that I get from tag sales. With all my listings, I try to describe more of the flaws and let pictures do a lot of the talking. Put a couple of "Tiffany" pieces up and a fellow ebayer pointed out that they were in fact not actual Tiffany pieces. Sent her many thanks and promptly removed listing. I didn't get burned as they were purchased for cheap (my mode of operation) But if it were not for someone pointing out the facts, I may have had a bad transaction.

20. Scorpio

damn I hate paying stupid tax, and I pay far too much of it...........

and many times it was when trying to lend someone a hand

21. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

Once found a bin on ebay that popped up in the middle of the night. Double eagle it were but about 100 below spot. Snagged it. There was a concerning delay in shipping and I finally contacted the seller. He gave me this long winded story of a sickness in the family and said he would get it out right away. And he did. When I opened the package it was a bright, crisp Canadian two dollar bill. Sweet.

I immediately contacted PayPal bay and they wanted me to contact the seller who of course never responded. PP diligently refunded me but that ruined me towards ebay coin sellers. Just too much risk. I was able to get the guys real name and found him on Facebook. White, hat backwards, baggy panted micro thug. It all made sense.

22. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Good to hear stories of honor among the general population. It does bring to mind the one caveat with PayPal payments- If you send someone funds using the "friends and family" option there are no fees involved but you have no recourse for mistakes other than the honor of the recipient as in your example. If you send $ as payment for a purchase, the recipient pays a fee but you have recourse if the deal goes wrong. Buying through eBay using PayPal you have 2 backstops.

Just get a (detailed) PayPal invoice from the seller (or eBay) and pay using the "Pay Now" button and you are golden.