1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Government Issued Bullion Vs Private Mint Bullion

Discussion in 'Gold Silver (All things Metal)' started by FthePolice, Nov 18, 2017.

1. FthePolice

FthePolice Seeker

I stack ASE's and Junk 90% for my Silver needs. For Gold I do the American Gold Buffalo. Any other coins or bullion I get are for collecting purposes. I prefer Government issued bullion and coins because of instant recognition and familiarity. I want my PM's as liquid as possible. I know rounds and bars are closer to spot. However they can be counterfeited easier and are a little suspicious as far as I am concerned. For those that stack them tell me your thoughts as to why you do so? I am not looking down I am looking for knowledge and could possibly go the round and bar route if it makes sense to me.

Buck likes this.
  2. Buck

Buck Gold Member Gold Chaser

Stacking, why do you stack?
    If it's only for the protection, stack what's recognizable
    If it's for the hobby, stack what you like, then stack what's rare
    If it's for investment, buy low, sell high

I do a bit of all of these, diversity
    I was told to be diverse so, I am
    :2 thumbs up:

Merlin, Mujahideen and FthePolice like this.
  3. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

ASE's can be counterfeited too, and are. There are at least a couple in this list. 2000's and 2013's but it's possible there could be other years. Granted, once ya know what to look for, they're pretty obvious, but I am just pointing out that fakes of all types are out there. Both generic and gov minted.
    ...and once they are reported on sites like this, the counterfeiters also learn about the flaws and can therefor correct the flaws when making more.

https://www.fakebullion.com/index.php/resources/fake-bullion-database

Mujahideen likes this.
  4. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I buy 1-oz '70's silver art bars to collect for myself to add to my personal collection and I also buy '70's silver art bars to flip on ebay as a sideline business to produce a secondary income to buy more '70's silver art bars or comic books with. I buy America The Beautiful 5-oz pucks (bullion version or "P" version) for the same reason that I buy '70's silver art bars. I have bought U.S. Mint gold (and other gov't minted gold) to keep for myself but that is rare since I am concentrating on growing my ebay sideline business of selling '70's silver art bars and other "collectible silver".

I am a collector but I also do this as a side business.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Joe King likes this.
  5. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    I stack bullion.....i try to stack what is closest to spot and from the most reputable venders...i figure silver/gold will always bring close spot at the melter

that being said after a pallet or two stacking 90% just gets plain boring...point is i bought items like aussie lunar au and ag coins in all sizes when they were being issued for bullion ......now those carry a hefty premium....

so for the past 20+ yrs i have stacked for oz but always tried to buy quality when it was availible

as for fakes ...know your coins...or know someone with a machine that tests them

smooth and Buck like this.
  6. nowon

nowon Seeker Seeker

Regarding counterfeits, i like the new Sunshine mint products with Mint Mark SI...makes it harder to fake and to date there have been no counterfeits of their products. Same thing with the laser inscribed year on Canadian Mint products. If the US Mint started doing something similar it would go a long way to making me start buying their products again.

7. Buck

I've got a few fake Peace Dollars and I have some magician coins that could easily be viewed by a novice as being a "cheap mule"coins or some such phrase, LOL

Where has the Secret Service been?

Getting caught with whores in foreign countries by the Obama Administration, of all the unexpected twists you'd not really expect
    Out of the darkness comes a bit of light? IDK, maybe
    :dog:

While they were 'splaining themselves, the Chinese used old US minting machines, left behind because it cost too much to ship it home, which doesn't really match the "carry it in, carry it out" ecology minded hiker motto, but who's to notice?, and the Chinese got better in their die making and creating false circulation marks and colors on their counterfeits over the years, even the Chinese Government didn't care, and neither did American Investors in Alibaba, so, I suppose, really, at this point in time, "Copy" means nothing, as do American Protection and Counterfeit, and Caveat Emptor is the phrase of the country, oh wait...makes sense, really, but who am I to say?

Doesn't sound like much protection has been going on for the People but again, IDK

Quality goes a long way in protecting one's products and there are many ways to produce quality both with and without the need for an extra "qualifier" as long as the main "qualifier" is consistent, is abundant in multiple locations and quality assurances, across the board, as expected, are provided by the mint that produces any such coin

Extra Devices hyped up to be a "qualifier" are not necessarily worth any extra money, just my humble opinion
    and why don't they just give out those "readers" they currently sell?

LOL
    :beer:

8. nowon

nowon Seeker Seeker

^ the main reason i pay for the extra expense of the Sunshine mint or Canadian mint anti-counterfeit features is for ease of sale down the road. Take a look at fakebullion.com for example counterfeit Canadian silver Maples and you can see how easy it is to spot a fake attempt at the Canadian laser year inscription. I look at the extra cost as a small insurance policy to preserve added premium on sale and help prevent buying fake crap when i don't have my Precious Metal Verifier handy.

Of course, one can use several other tools to test for validity but i prefer to keep things simple when possible...ymmv.

Mujahideen and Buck like this.
  9. Buck

Just buy certified govt issue coins at a rate that is less than bullion plus the cost of the "casket"?
    or add 10% or 20% or whatever your basis point would be to where you WILL make a profit if you flipped it now or later
    only difference will be in the patience of when the price is higher for what you bought and etc

see?

I've owned $300+ troy ounce silver before, i'm kinda numb to numbers but I do believe what my numbers tell me and i follow suit

I hope so :2 thumbs up:

none of us here can tell you what's right for you, none of us
    we do what we want because we have proven to ourselves we're correct
    LOL
    Yep, that's my advice and I'm sticking to it
    not for you but for myself

:dog:

nowon likes this.
  10. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Silver stacker
    08A763A1-C2BB-48C0-AF38-3FEBEB1E6016.gif

I only buy sliver eagles by the roll, and I keep them unopened. I also have a few maple leaf rolls.

Silver is silver... but my silver is slightly more liquid.

Varmint Hunter and nowon like this.
  11. Joe King

I doubt it's a real high priority for them. In fact, the gov probably likes some fakes being out there, as it serves as just one more dis-incentive for people to buy PM's. Might get burned.

12. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

Government issued only for me - liquidity is everything. Try selling into the peak of a market - dealers jump on the Eagles and Maples. I had a dealer offer to pay me for 100 oz bars after they were melted at the refiner - that ended my love of big bars.

FthePolice and Mujahideen like this.
  13. FthePolice

FthePolice Seeker

I'm still on the government issue bus too. for reasons you have stated.

14. ToBeSelfEvident

ToBeSelfEvident Gold Member Gold Chaser

I just buy an occasional coin or bar that interests me. The stuff I buy would be very hard to counterfeit, like the Ultra High Relief 2-oz Cleopatra or any of the 5-oz ATB pucks. I have some 90% dimes and a small art bar collection. Strength in diversity! I would not want all my silver in ASEs. ASEs will be the main target of counterfeiters.

15. FthePolice

FthePolice Seeker

As far as my junk Silver goes I go through bags at my LCS and select the least worn to maximize silver content.

16. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

Sir fthepo it's nice seeing someone who's genuinely excited about silver. Hold on to that as long as you can.

90 percent real money and eagles for sure.
    Ase's and .9 coin have paid closer to spot for me than generic, during dips, when I've needed to sell.

My fav is cherrypicking nice coins from the half dollar box or generic bin and buying early eagles for the going rate of the new ones.

I also like to look at world silver and collect coins i find interesting, particularly coins with historical figures or symbols or boobs.

smooth and BigJim#1-8 like this.
  17. EO 11110

EO 11110 He Hate Me Mother Lode

agree with the US coin silver - it is best of breed imo. this for someone focusing on safe, liquid, low premium

it IS money. meets the coinage act specs, has the secret service backing it, decent premium, available in BU to slicks, dimes to dollars sizes

this a good base to build off of - before taking flyers on bullion, art bars, etc..

18. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    ok ....i gotta ask.... 300$+ troy oz silver.....do tell n splain............... me i got some of that 3$ troy oz silver ...

19. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

that is just a plain stupid comment,

FullMetalJckt likes this.
  20. Joe King

Maybe. Was just commenting on the fact that whenever frn counterfeits show up, they're all over it like white on rice, but I've never heard of them going after SAE counterfeiters. Have you ever heard of the SS going busting people for fake SAE's?