1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Great Chicago Fire 1871

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Goldhedge, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
  2. samwiii

samwiii Gold Member Gold Chaser

Far Side Chicago Fire.jpg

Goldhedge likes this.
  3. honu5050

honu5050 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

nunya
    that bum silverstein have kin in chi town then hummmm?

4. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

There are a fair amount of Chicago Fire related exonumia/numismatic medals and coins.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[TABLE="width: 97%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: ftalternatingbaron, width: 99%, bgcolor: #DDDEE5, align: right"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"]The Great Chicago Fire burnt a large portion of the city to the ground October 8-10, 1871. I grew up in the Chicago area so I learned a great deal of the history how this great fire, although quite tragic and a major disaster, was one of the reasons for Chicago's greatness in the years after the fire. Chicago really did rise like a phoenix from the flames.

Following the fire, the bell from the Chicago Courthouse which had burnt down was melted and turned into various relics which were sold off as souveniers. I have seen miniature bells that were produced as well as medals which were struck by the U.S. Mint. 500 medals, designed by William Barber, were struck the following year in 1872 by the Mint with metal from that Courthouse bell. The medal is approximately 51mm in diameter and is listed as CM-13 in the Julian reference. I've wanted to acquire one of those pieces for sometime and recently I picked one up. It's a beautiful design, though this example does have a few scratches on the side with the phoenix. I went for this one in particular because it has a box (original?) with it that I thought added to the coolness of it a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of the Courthouse Bell after the fire from the Chicago Historical Society website:

[​IMG]

Anyone else have anything cool from the Great Chicago Fire?? Or anything cool from Chicago in general???
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

gringott and Goldhedge like this.
  5. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

A match safe (courtesy of the pcgs boards):
    [​IMG]

gringott, Goldhedge and honu5050 like this.