1. Stocks soar, Metals get hammered
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Monday morning takedown. Gold is down 12.8 to 1243 while Silver is down 17 to 1647. Crude is up 20 to 4321. The USD is up 15 to 97.09
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Gun purchase advice?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Montecristo, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Montecristo

Montecristo Silver Member Silver Miner

I'm not real comfortable with guns yet. But it is something I want to learn more about and practice with. There's a new gun range being built not very far from our house and I want to start going and shooting mostly for fun. The new range and store should be done in a couple months. I also want to renew my license to carry that I let expire.

A few years back I bought a 9mm HK that I really liked, my intention was to carry, but I never got comfortable with it. I didn't go to the range and practice and consequently it has been just sitting doing nothing. I determined the reason I didn't carry it was that as a beginner it was just too big and I didn't make the effort to get comfortable with it.

I'm looking again at guns, with the intention of carrying it all the time and going to the new range that will be very convenient to stop in and practice. I am looking at 3 guns and I wanted to get some thoughts from you guys about the guns, pros and cons, and just general advice.

They are:
    1.) Ruger LC9 -S
    2.)S&W Shield
    3.) Glock 43

I have seen all these guns and held them, but not shot them, and none of them stood out as feeling better than the others.

smooth and stonedywankanobe like this.
  2. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Start with a .22 rifle (cheap Savage accutrigger). If you aren't familiar with guns this is the place to start getting familiar. Only after you are comfortable with a rifle move on to handguns. There is so much about safety you can learn with a rifle without the risk of shooting yourself. Also, take a hunter's safety course. If you are really serious, attend an Appleseed shoot to get some practical marksmanship experience.

For handguns I recommend a revolver -- the Ruger LCR in .38 special (light weight, ergonomically shaped, brass stays in the gun). If you insist on using an auto (I don't recommend it for beginners because they are a bit more complicated) go with the Glock -- real simple construction, very reliable. I will never buy an S&W after they compromised with Clinton/Gore.

3. brosil

brosil Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I bought a Taurus Millennium G2 last year and am quite happy with it. I consider it light weight and hope to use it for concealed carry. The dual safety took a bit of getting used to but not much. It comes back on target nicely and the adjustable sites are good. It's eaten different types of ammo without problems.
    Handguns,to me, are a very personal thing. The safety, the grip,etc. All have to be right for me. Take that trip you've been putting off to the Cabelas at Dundee and try a selection of firearms to see what fits your hand well. Don't point them at the clerk. It makes them nervous.

stonedywankanobe and Montecristo like this.
  4. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

Everyday carry is where it's at. I have found that subcompact auto pistols are what I feel most comfortable with and personally wouldn't carry less than a 9mm.

My EDC is a Springfield Xd9 Sub mod 2. It's a tack driver, fits my hand like a glove and generally is a joy to shoot. I've put around 500 rounds through it in the year I've had it and have yet to have a Ftf or fte. It's dressed with high vis sights that are made from metal, not that plastic crap on top of glocks.

A good holster is another important consideration and after carrying the iwb kydex and English bridle leather rig from Rawdog tactial I confidently give them my utmost recommendation.

Extremely well made American product and very comfortable to wear all day, even while driving or just kicking back in the easy chair.

20170320_130353.jpg
    20170320_130405.jpg
    20170320_130421.jpg

Made in Tx, lifetime warranty.
    http://www.rawdogtactical.com/

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  5. <SLV>

I had a friend that bought the Taurus Millennium, but it would FTF about 20% of the time with Winchester White Box ball ammo (looked like soft primer strikes). I wouldn't own a firearm that couldn't eat anything.

mayhem, smooth and stonedywankanobe like this.
  6. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    Quote: I didn't go to the range and practice and consequently it has been just sitting doing nothing.

Get familiar with the HK or sell it. They are high quality guns, but there is no point in owning something that sits unused.

The Smith and Glock get good reviews. Be advised smaller polymer 9mm pistols can recoil noticeably more than full-sized models of the same make and may generally NOT be the best option for people new to handguns--at least until you get a lot more experience and trigger time.

I am currently reviewing the new Walther Creed. It retails for as low as $350...

Good luck

SC

7. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

1. Keep the HK. As soon as you get more experience you will be shooting it. IT is a quality firearm that you should keep for a lifetime.

2. To practice, purchase a Sig Mosquito .22lr. Very reliable and low recoil to help build confidence.

3. As far as carry from your list it all depends. Personally I carry a Glock 42 and a Ruger LCP. You will find the Glock 43 easiest to operate and maintain. The Ruger LC9S is okay, but not in the same class as the Glock. LC9s are thin, but that's their best feature. I have one, used it to dispatch a hog and keep it in the garage. The S&W is good, but the trigger can get mushy. A Springfield is good, but it has a palm safety which IMO is unnecessary.

mayhem, Ebie and Montecristo like this.
  8. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    after many years...and a owner of many guns...i have determined that 9 out of 10 times i will carry the smallest or most comfortable gun ....a gun you dont like to physically carry you will tend not to carry....and a gun you dont carry is useless when you need it

if your not going to practice much then i highly recommend a small revolver such as SLV mentioned (this is what i have my gals carry and i carry 50% of the time)
    they are very KISS and as panic proof, jamb proof, idiot proof as possible

if you choose to carry a semi-auto, then i think its imperative to understand that they all function differently and have different features and fuctions.....some are striker fired...some hammer fired...some have a safety..some have grip saftys....some no safety....some are Double action...some not....etc ....again i cant stress how important it is to understand your gun and how it would affect its use in a panic live fire situation....

hope this is a start to being helpful

9. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Years ago I bought a Springfield XD in .45 ACP. I was very fond of the amount of firepower with the 13+1 in .45. But I rarely carried it due to it's size. I traded it to a friend for a XDS in 9mm, I really like it and carry it everywhere in an inexpensive IWB Outbags leather holster that fits it like a glove, and covers 100% of the trigger and guard. I like the option of the small 7 round magazine for better concealment under a tee shirt or a 9 rounder in cooler months. The magazines aren't much bigger than a pocket knife so keeping a spare in your pocket easily becomes the norm. I've put several boxes of Hornady Critical Defense through it with no problems (what ever you buy run plenty of the ammo you plan to carry through it to make it sure it likes it ok).

10. mayhem

mayhem Другая перспектива Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    Bottom line, and from years of carrying, experience if you don't LOVE your carry weapon, you won't carry it. So find one that puts a smile :D on your face when the hammer drops.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  11. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

The easiest handgun to be comfortable with, especially a newbie is a 38 special revolver. From a holster, under your pillow or loose in your pocket, a 38 snubby is hard to beat. The most fun handgun at the range, one that will increase your confidence and skill, is a Ruger Mark II .22.
    When you realize how marginal the accuracy is with the 38 compared to the .22, you will be ready to practice seriously with the H K.

Professur and Montecristo like this.
  12. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter Platinum Bling

I would consider the Sig P938 also. It's a small very well built gun, and smaller than those above. The Glock 43 is a good choice as a carry gun. Very light and easy to carry, just not a lot of fun at the range. Usually a box of 50 and I'm good. The Shield is also another great choice. They have a performance center shield which isn't much more and comes with better sights and a nicer trigger. Not sure what part of Michigan your in, but Baracks 616 range in Grand Rapids will let you rent a gun to try. Prices are pretty reasonable and pretty sure they have all the guns on your list.

13. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Delivery boy.
    I love the Sig938 so much I ended up with three of them. Everything about these little guns says perfection to me. They're very compact, yet easily manageable to shoot, with hardly any felt recoil. Believe it or not, they're actually fun to shoot and that's unusual for a micro nine. Accuracy is very good for a micro gun and reliability has been absolutely perfect in all three of mine. No ftf's, no fte's, no stovepipes, no problems. They're also single action guns and I love the SA system, which is simple and consistent. At only slightly more than a pound loaded up, they're also slim, so are easy to carry. Their only drawback might be price, but you get what you pay for with this pistol.

stonedywankanobe and Montecristo like this.
  14. <SLV>

I only shot an HK pistol once (about ten years ago) and hated it. It was a .40 cal duty pistol that had been issued to a friend of mine who is a commercial pilot. The trigger was terrible: heavy grinding pull, and when it finally broke it had so much over-travel that the barrel was always pulled down. Impossible to aim worth anything. I've never considered an HK anything since then.

Montecristo likes this.
  15. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    Two recommendations and great choices IMHO....

Sig Sauer P320 9mm Compact
    [​IMG]
    Glock G19 9mm
    [​IMG]

16. Chester-Copperpot

My regular carry is my CZ 75 custom compact. Wasn't cheap, but accurate and very reliable. If I'm not carrying that I have my Glock 43, which I'm not as accurate with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aurumag, mayhem, smooth and 4 others like this.
  17. historyrepete

historyrepete Silver Member Silver Miner

I dig those grips. But I'll keep my cz omega plain , suits me for edc

18. nickndfl

CZ 75 is iconic much like the Glock 19. Two different firing systems. One is hammer and the other is striker. Another great pistol is an FNS-9. A bit pricey too, but deadly accurate. I compare everything to a Glock. Very simple to maintain and occasionally can be purchased on sale.

Montecristo likes this.
  19. <SLV>

Glock is the Toyota; CZ is the BMW. "Drive" them both and you will see what I mean.

I love the CZ-P01. Right size, perfectly beautiful shape, best ergonomics (feels like it was born in my hand), tack-driving accuracy, no safety, ambidextrous decocker. I've owned a lot of nines, but I've loved only one.

Chester-Copperpot likes this.
  20. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

My recommendation is go and shoot each of the guns you are considering. At least two full mags through each. Each will weigh slightly different and recoil will be different. What feels comfortable, Which one do you pick-up your sight picture the easiest and quickest.

30 Dollars of ammo and shooting is far better than buying a $250-300-400 dollar pistol and THEN deciding YOU don't like it. JMO

Aurumag, TAEZZAR, Montecristo and 3 others like this.
  21. Chester-Copperpot

Now if they came out with a single stack PO1 I'd ditch my Glock 43 in a heartbeat.

22. mayhem

Retired
    I also like single stack handguns. After many years this is the one I settled upon.
    [​IMG]

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product553.html

I use Wilson Combat SS mags with Wolf springs. The Kinber mags are not reliable feeding hollow points. Like I said above you will know when you found the right carry weapon. All the ones spoken of here on this thread are really good.

23. brosil

brosil Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I've heard that about the Taurus but haven't experienced it. So far, it's eaten whatever cheap crap ammo I've fed it without fail. The Federal has worked as well. I'll let you know if it fails.

24. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Great Line SLV. I Could not agree more.
    Sorry inscription to have on a Head Stone "Failed to Fire".

25. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Just another opinion. I like the Walther P22. It's compact, accurate & easy to use, for me. After that ugly gun incident at the range, I have a new respect for .22 cal.
    Also, a .22 cal. is a surgeons nightmare, as it travels thru a body like a vagabond. A .22 is low on recoil which adds to ease of use.
    I also carry, in my vehicle, a Judge, it's a 5 round revolver with 410 shotgun shells, reloaded with BB's. Very deadly.

26. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    I saw a video the other day that said there are two things more rare than hen's teeth. One is Hispanic/Asian relationships. The other is leaving the house in search of a gun with Sig $$ in your wallet and coming back with a Glock (unless you bring back 2-3 glocks).

Aurumag and GOLDBRIX like this.
  27. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    LOL...I admit I have tried plenty of different handguns over many years and find myself returning to the Glock models. I especially like ones in 9mm or else the sub-compacts G27 and G33 for their surprising accuracy and less felt recoil due to double recoil springs. Something about the sub compacts that just work right. The Glock 30 is my favorite in 45 ACP and Glock 29 in 10mm.

SC

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    nickndfl likes this.
  28. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    Normally I would agree but the SIG P320 goes for around $500 off Gunbroker. All the quality, balance and comfort you'd expect from a SIG in the P320 too. Mine is the Compact version 9mm with the night sights, which will add another $80 to the price)

29. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    Here is my issue with the Sig 320. It is the new US military gun. The military makes budget buys. It was made to compete with the Glocks and get a contract. It aint a 226 or 229. Definitely not a Legion. I bet Sig had to pinch its nose when they put it out .

30. nickndfl

Can't go wrong with a Glock. 20140815_173147.jpg

31. Eyebone

Eyebone Midas Member Midas Member

I'm comfortable with guns.

They won't 'shoot you' if you don't piss them off.

Sometimes they get cranky and bite your thumb if you don't know how to handle them, they're like women.

brosil and Son of Gloin like this.
  32. mayhem

Retired
    Indeed! Not my personal fav. but they always go bang, and that's what counts more than coolness.

33. Chester-Copperpot

I have a few Glocks. Good reliable guns in every sense. Great guns? Not IMO but you can't go wrong with them. Go bang every time and easy to take down and maintain.

34. Eyebone

Eyebone Midas Member Midas Member

I have no glocks.

Don't want any either

Glocks seem to be the choice of niggers so I'll stick with Springfield and Smith an Wesson.

nickndfl likes this.
  35. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Indentured Wage Slave
    Glock was never an option.

I went with the Sig P226 .40, and my goodness what a sweet handgun.

Before I plunked down $1500 (the day Barry got re-elected), I had accepted the fact that I just wasn't that good with handgun.

All that has changed now, and I am in possession of a handgun that provides me with full confidence.

Unbelievable follow-up accuracy!

My second favorite handgun, now that I have proper magazines, is my .22 Buckmark. Amazingly quiet and accurate with ZERO recoil.

The day Barry got elected the first time, I bought a Springfield M1A Scout. I got some nice mags for that one too, and plenty of milsurp 7.62x51.

GOLDBRIX and Son of Gloin like this.
  36. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    Well, plenty of white boys like glocks, too. I don't like glocks myself. I had a couple, both bought at the same time, a .40 and a nine and took them to the range one day to shoot them. I sold them both the same week. Hated them! They were the only guns I ever had that I just hated after shooting them.
    I stick with Smith, Sig, Browning, Ruger, Walther. My favorites.

Aurumag, GOLDBRIX and ttazzman like this.
  37. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    guns for me as become like burbon......i used to be fine with evan williams.......now its Pappys........similarly my guns are trending from polymers/plastic.....to steel and fine wood......same with calibers bigger n bigger.............both will get you drunk or dead but sometimes its the way you go.....

38. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Indentured Wage Slave
    I so vividly recall the first time I fired a Glock.

I just did not like the polymer lower.

I was so accustomed to the big metal 1911, and the subtle but pragmatic balance of my Browning Highpower, but now that I am older and wiser:

If a Glock were the only handgun within my grasp, I could make it work to my advantage.

I also prefer the AR over the AK, but I know how to use an AK.

It is good to know how to use ALL the tools.

GOLDBRIX, ttazzman and Son of Gloin like this.
  39. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    You can afford Pappys!? What the hell, man. Are you made of cash? I only know of one seller who even has the stuff for sale and they ask $1,000 a bottle. I hope you have a better source.

GOLDBRIX likes this.
  40. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    Aurumag, dude! You like the High Powers? To me, the Browning High Power is handgun perfection. I love them so much I own three of them. Shooting a High Power is like handgun nirvana.

arminius and ttazzman like this.