1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Gun purchase advice?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Montecristo, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    factory loads or handloads?

GOLDBRIX and TAEZZAR like this.
  2. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

As soon as I posted that comment, I realized I did not totally explain.
    As usual, Rusty, you are on top of it !!! Thanks.

Factory loads from a brand name.
    As you may well know, bullet seating is critical & I think that was the cause.

Rusty Shackelford likes this.
  3. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
    local range guy wont let you shoot winchester, remington or federal at his range (he does not sell any of that either so it begs to question his claims, but gladly has his own stuff to sell). He claims Wicnhest and Remington are using hot powder cut with inert material and that it is not mixed well. One round is heavy on inert and results in a squib. The next round is heavy on the explosive and results in some bad stuff. He says he has had 6 catastrophic failure in his range alone this past year. If you extrapolate that out to all the ranges in the US that would be a crap ton of failure that you would think would make the news....crickets....so I lean towards his claims being BS, but you can't ever be 100% sure I guess.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  4. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Delivery boy.
    T, did all three of those cases come from the same batch?

TAEZZAR likes this.
  5. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    Rusty, you mentioned Win, Rem and Fed early in your post, but omitted Federal later on. I would be surprised if Federal were playing powder games to cut costs.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  6. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater

That was the kicker. Shop owner doesn't allow federal perfecta ammo in his range. Federal does not make perfecta so strike two for dumbass shop owner trying to pull one over on his clients. I skip that shop anymore

TAEZZAR and Son of Gloin like this.
  7. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

FWIW..............

How To Shop For a Used Gun
    Iraqveteran8888

Published on Apr 22, 2017
    LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? CONSIDER PURCHASING A MAN CAN: https://goo.gl/TCXIU7
    FULL30: https://goo.gl/5sAkHe

In this video we discuss some of the important things to look for when shopping for a used firearm. This video covers military surplus primarily, however many of these points cross over to "modern" used firearms as well. Stay tuned, much more on the way.

CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE!
    http://www.iraqveteran8888.com

CUSTOM IV8888 PATCHES:
    https://patriotpatch.co/collections/i...

Shirts & other Apparel:
    http://www.1776united.com

Like us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/iraqveteran88...

Follow us on Instagram:
    http://instagram.com/mrsiraqveteran8888/
    http://instagram.com/chad_iv8888/

Follow us on Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/Iraqveteran8888

Disclaimer: Our videos are for entertainment purposes only, imitation or the use of any instruction shown in the videos is solely AT YOUR OWN RISK. Iraqveteran8888 will not be held liable for any injury to yourself or damage to your firearms resulting from attempting anything shown in any our videos.

Copyright 2017, 88 Industries, LLC

Goldhedge and Son of Gloin like this.
  8. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

One was a year ago in my Glock 17 first Gen. the other two were in my Sig P226 & P228, only a couple of weeks ago.
    I did not pay attention to the ammo, as I had never had this problem in the past.
    I try to buy quality ammo, but I am learning, late in life, that quality ammo is only from a well educated reload.
    I am reloading 30-06 Ackley Improved & .223 for now. I will get into pistol reloads soon. I will get a bit a guidance on pistol reloads, as I understand they can be dangerous.
    WIN LUGER 9MM CASE FAILURES (Med).jpg

Another problem I have recently encountered is blowing the end off my Walther TPH .22 cal. pistol.
    I am being informed that even .22 ammo is inconsistent & CCI Stingers can be too hot for small semi auto's.
    My best luck for my Wather has been with Peters high vel. For my Ruger MK II it is definitely the CCI Stingers.
    Reasons being in the balance of power needed to cycle them.

Here is my Walther & I recommend it for a pocket carry pistol. It is extremely accurate up to 100 feet.
    They were made back in the 1970's & are all stainless steel.

IMG_1034 (Medium).JPG

Son of Gloin and searcher like this.
  9. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
    You buying stingers or are they old personal stock? I ain't seen stingers around home in 8-9 years.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  10. TAEZZAR

Dammit Rusty, I can't get anything past you !!! LOL

Yes, "OPS". I was hoarding 22 ammo before the crisis.
    I have Stingers & Mini Mags
    I should have sold a bunch last year, but , I didn't.

11. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    I haven't shot my TPH in awhile, but I remember it liking, of all things, Remington Yellow Jackets. A lot. Wouldn't cycle Stingers properly, or any standard velocity stuff, but liked the YJ's quite perfectly. Never had any of the problems like you're talking about with Stinger ammo, but my TPH was a late 80's gun, if I remember correctly. Still have it! Neat little gun.
    Another point on the TPH guns. Most people who have owned and shot them have noticed their preference for hypervel ammo.

Also, how do you "blow the end off" of a TPH???

Oh yeah. I thought maybe your problem with the cartridge case blow outs was a bad batch. Maybe not, though.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    searcher and TAEZZAR like this.
  12. TAEZZAR

I was actually shooting both the TPH & my old Phoenix Arms 22 pistol that is a hair larger & holds a couple more rounds.
    Interestingly they were similar in accuracy BUT the TPH just felt like a higher quality pistol, which it is.

I will get some hypervel (I looked it up, it's Federal Ammo, right?) and try it. Thanks

I should have said blowing the slide off the front end.
    According to my gunsmith buddy the Stingers may be too powerful for the action & cause a shock to the trigger guard mechanism that holds the slide in place. I had no problem with all the other ammo. I went through about 100 rounds.

I am being schooled that ALL commercial ammo is inconsistent, even 22 cal., compared to carefully reloaded ammo & my blow outs could be from too hot of a powder, wrong amount &/or bullet seat depth. All will cause blow out.

Here is a photo of what it looks like at home, in the field, it is quite a shock having a gun come apart while shooting it.

TPH slide off (Medium).jpg

13. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    Wow! That's a catastrophic failure, for sure. You don't want your gun flying apart in a self defense situation. Hypervelocity refers to all 22 ammo, like Remington Yellow Jackets, CCI Stingers and CCI Velocitors that are loaded up to produce much higher velocities in the bullets, when fired. My gun likes them YJ's, but not Stingers. Many other guys say their TPH likes Stingers only. Then, a few guys, like yourself, say their TPH likes standard velocity stuff. If that's the case, you probably need to stick to standard velocity to keep your gun in one piece.

Those TPH pistols are very nice little pocket guns, when you get a good one. Interarms quality control was sometimes inconsistent, especially toward the end of their career in producing Walther pistols. I had a stainless PPKS that was made toward the end and it was a nightmare of a gun. Sold it to a dealer that really wanted it.

14. TAEZZAR

You got that right !!!
    I will run 100 rounds of standard vel. ammo through it, to be sure the gun is not faulty.
    I'll post the results. Then keep it or get rid of it, according to the results.

searcher likes this.
  15. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    You konw, I was just thinking on your problem with the TPH. The slide, as you mentioned, is held in place by the trigger guard and you have to pull the trigger guard down to push the slide off for disassembly. What if, when you shoot hypervelocity stuff, like Stingers, the recoil causes bigger muzzle flip and your finger ends up pushing down on the trigger guard while the gun is flipping up. Then, the slide races forward and before your finger ceases pushing down on the TG, the slide just freely flies off the gun. Just a theory.

16. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    Well, if you do decide to sell it, contact me first. I like those little stainless Walther TPH guns. But, see my post above first.

17. TAEZZAR

That is exactly my thought too. I mentioned a stronger spring to the gunsmith & he thought it could actually make the problem worse. Hmmmm???

I paid a hefty $$ for that little bugger. It came with the plastic box, manual & only one mag.
    But if it does not work out, I will PM you about it all.

I really like it, so I hope you don't hear from me !!! :belly laugh:

searcher and Son of Gloin like this.
  18. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    mentioned above phoenix arms pistols.....i got one a few years back 2 barrel kit n all......really accurate cheap gun....really like it ......other than it takes me 5 min to figure out if i have all the safetys off...etc.....never had a gun with more safety features to the point it was almost unuseable......fantastic for the price in all other ways though....i keep mine in the garage and stick in my pocket a lot when i go out in the woods..

Son of Gloin and TAEZZAR like this.
  19. TAEZZAR

I have the barrel & extended mag. kit.
    As you say, it is nice & cheap.

20. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

21. wallew

wallew Gold Member Gold Chaser

Retired - no job, no money
    I've a question Montecristo and then some observations for the rest.

Montecristo, WHICH HK pistol do you own?

I went to gunsmithing school in Colorado in 97/98. I shared a bench with a young man who has been a friend ever since. He worked three years for the AMU at Benning where he learned the M4 platform from the AMU's M4 guru. He then got a contract as a Spec For armorer.

But he told me that the Spec For guys have EXACTLY two choices for 'approved' pistols that they can carry.

Beretta 92 or the Glock 17. THAT WAS ALL.

And they shoot over 100k round per year out of ALL their weapons and yes they do shoot a TON out of their pistols.

+++++++++++++

Myself, I collect different platforms.

For the non-semi auto, I like S&W model 19 in 2 3/4 inch barrel. And every one of mine that I have owned over the years, I ALWAYS did a trigger job, so they break smooth as glass with a single action pull of 5#. Double action is about 7 - 8 #. They go well with any lever action rifles in the same caliber (all 3 barrel lengths) which would also get their triggers smoothed up as well.

I like Glock 22 (with Glock 17 barrel and mags) and the Glock 23 with a (Glock 19 barrel and mags).

But my FAVORITE pistol is the HK P7 ( I love the look and how the P7's feels in your hand).

My rifle choices are 7.62 (ie 30 cal) - with one genre being X39 and the other genre being x51.

Plus my Rem 700's.

For shotguns, I like the HK M121 M1 (Benelli made imported by HK in the 1980's).

Truth is, it doesn't matter what you own, as long as you like it, it fits YOUR hand and you can be proficient with it. To become proficient, you HAVE TO SHOOT IT. Over and over and over again.

NOTE: For pistol reloads, I ONLY USE WINCHESTER 231 BALL POWDER. I've tried numerous other brands and types and I find I always come back to Win 231 Ball

You have to practice, practice, practice, then close your eyes, bring your weapon up to eye level and point it at your chosen and dry fire your firearms (use snap caps if you must). Open your eyes before you bring your weapon down.

And if you don't HAVE a spare set of springs and a spare firing pin, you are setting yourself to have a critical failure EXACTLY when you need your firearm the most.

OH and I was an NRA firearms instructor for ten years, until I finally stopped training people unless I knew them well, which is not many people. Freed up a lot of my time I used doing other things I enjoy.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  22. searcher

How to Pick a Handgun | What to look for | Tactical Rifleman
    Tactical Rifleman

Published on Jun 2, 2017
    Generally most people that are looking to buy their first firearm want to get a handgun for self-defense, after that its for hobby, sport or collecting.
    First thing I tell everyone is that when looking for one, is that it must be comfortable in the hand when you pick it up. If you don’t like the way it feels then you won’t want to shoot it. The important part of this is that you won’t be familiar with it when/if it ever becomes time that you have to use it.
    Some people want to ask about caliber sizes for the handgun and this is a very debatable subject but I say use what you can comfortably manage. Bottom line here is that shot placement is the key.

Thanks for watching the video and if you have any direct questions for Pete you can contact him at pete@alansarsenal.com or check out their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/AlansArsenal/ or website http://www.alansarsenal.com.

For more go to http://www.tacticalrifleman.com/ and Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TacticalRifl... and Twitter-http://bit.ly/TACrman

Son of Gloin likes this.
  23. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

"Nuff Said Right There".
    BIL bought a .380 w/ holster for $80.00. Same week he decided he didn't like the feel and that was with not even shooting it one time.
    Since he won't take it back I told him "Well ya got trade bait for something later. Maybe some guy and his wife will be lookin' for a .380 and Ya might make a little more on a deal".

Feel #1 on any deal.

TAEZZAR, searcher and Son of Gloin like this.
  24. TAEZZAR

FNH makes a 5.7 x 28 semi auto with 20 round magazines.
    I have one & it is nice.
    This is an ammo comparison

5.7 ammo  comparison.png

oldgaranddad and searcher like this.
  25. searcher

26. TAEZZAR

My experience has been that Glock is good, BUT Sig Sauer is much better. As for a car carry, I like my Judge with 410 "reloads".
    I replace the tiny lead with the old "BB'S" & also have the expensive Winchester PDX1 Defender loads. (Don't F**K with an old man- LOLOLOL)

For guys with big hands, the stock grips are worthless. You will get bit by the back of the trigger guard on your main knuckle of your middle finger.
    At least I did,
    I think I posted the making of the grips. They are Cocobolo wood from Peru, form fit to my hand.

THE JUDGE AFTER THE NEW GRIPS  !!! 024 (Small) - Copy.jpg

searcher, GOLDBRIX and Son of Gloin like this.
  27. Son of Gloin

Delivery boy.
    I agree with you on Sig over Glock. I had two Glocks, quite a while ago and sold them both off quickly. Hated them. I have five Sigs and love them all.
    Nice grips on the Judge.

hoarder, searcher and TAEZZAR like this.
  28. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I shot a FN 5.7 at the range once. I liked it but I at the time I could not justify the stupid crazy prices for the ammo. I just took a look and was amazed how much the prices have come down. I just may have to entertain the idea of getting one.

searcher, ttazzman and TAEZZAR like this.
  29. TAEZZAR

The gun is not cheap either !!!
    The 20 round mag's are nice. The pistol come with 2 mag's.
    They also have a "calif. mag", - 10 rd's)

30. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

Were you shooting the firearm without a magazine in place?

According to this video (from 1:18) the trigger guard is locked in place by the magazine. Because the firearm is capable of firing without a magazine, the firearm can come apart while shooting.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    searcher likes this.
  31. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma

I would note that in that video (i collect colt revolvers) ....that the SS Colt python he shows there is probably the finest production revolver ever made but the gun he has there a SS model current pricing starts low end at 3000$ .....not a glock fan but you can buy a ton of glocks and ammo for the price of the Python...also every python is a hand assembled hand fitted gun meaning parts might or might not interchange correctly which goes against some of his statements ......but...in my opinion nothing is sweeter to shoot in a high powered pistol

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    TAEZZAR and searcher like this.
  32. hoarder

hoarder Midas Board Mmbr Platinum Bling

Glocks do have the advantage that the bore sits slightly lower in the shooters hand which equates to slightly lower recoil and quicker follow up shots. That said, one Glock was enough for me and I sold it. I never sold any of my Sigs. They will have to pry the old West German Sigs from my dead hands. They are the best. Sigs operate like revolvers, so there is no confusion (in times of duress) for those of us who switch back and forth between revolvers and autos.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  33. JayDubya

JayDubya Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

I just shot a PM over to Montecristo asking him to visit this thread and give us update regarding what he ended up buying. Hope he updates soon

34. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

LCPs at PSA are $169 now. I carry mine everywhere.

BigJim#1-8 likes this.
  35. TAEZZAR

That has never even been a thought in my head ! Why would someone do that ?

36. TAEZZAR

A bit more about my Glock & Sig's.
    With my Glock & the cartridge failure, the Glock ejected the mag. & ceased firing. Good that it stopped potential damage to me or the pistol, bad that it ceased to fire.
    On the other hand, the Sig. ejected the failed cartridge, cycled, & was ready to fire again. I liked that !
    This is the reason that I prefer Sig. over Glock.

hoarder likes this.
  37. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

There are advantages with not having a magazine disconnect. You could have included drills where you shoot the firearm without a magazine.

38. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

In a related matter, the best publication is FireArms News. It's like a newspaper and I get hard copies delivered every 10 days.

Aurumag and Crockett like this.
  39. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

Yeah, I used to read Shotgun News for many years . . . I mean . . . Firearms News? . . . what?

Looks like the size changed also? I used to pick up a copy nearly every month for years but I have not seen one for quite some time, and now I know why. I have been taking a quick look in the magazine rack and have not seen the familiar large newsprint type publication. Until your post I thought they went out of business and have mourned its demise. Now I am looking forward to picking one up.

40. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
    As of now, my local walmart is stocked to the brim with CCI Stingers and HP MiniMags....no limit...I stop and get at least a 50 rd box of stingers and 100 Rd box of minimags each week.

hoarder and TAEZZAR like this.