1. Have a great Memorial Weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gone Fishin'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/27/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- Silver $17.32-- Oil $49.80-- USD $97.36 --
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Haystacks Wagon / Project / Alternative Investment

Discussion in 'Projects, Builds, Woodworking, Metalworks' started by Hystckndle, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Hystckndle here,
    I will use this thread to post some pics of ongoing " stuff" regarding an old Willys / Jeep wagon I have acquired.
    I started a thread elsewhere but am copying it here as I consider this to be an
    " alternative investment ".

It is MHO that sweat equity in anything is an investment.
    All actions are a 100% success regardless of the immediate apparent result.
    Further, Agnut, an incredible guy, instilled in me that " gold and silver come in many different forms ".
    When I thought of that , a few years ago it was, it occurred to me that Gold and Silver were to me the epitome of sweat equity and really...many things in life are "Gold and Silver"
    Perhaps I should broaden my thinking and not be constrained by definitions as much as I had been in my life.
    I have endeavored to do that and it has assisted me in my happiness about myself and surroundings in life greatly.
    I have another thread, that I will post on again here in a bit, on alternative investing in gold and silver in the forms of photographic images.
    This one is different as you will see.

Lots to say but will get the thread started as its on the 2017 17 " to do " list I made over the so called holidays.
    ( Clears my pea brain out a bit making a list does )

A high school friend of mine showed up at the coffee shop about 2 years ago with a Jeep Wagon.
    It was a 1960, the year he and I were born.
    I was captivated by it. It had all the drippings of the old family farm.
    I began looking for one and got sidetracked by some personal family stuff but I kept at it.
    There are LOTS of Fred Flintstone rust buckets and I have learned that the hard way in the car and auto lovefest I have so I was trying to find one as intact as possible and not modified with a V8 or rock crawler lifts etc. It was not an easy task.
    Finally I lucked out and saw one on Ebay that just sat there.
    No wonder....zero feedbacks and pictures from a cell phone that were not formatted full screen.
    He had posted an add on Ebay this last summer under a new account set up by his secretary.
    I have been on Ebay for years and my wife has a small store so we know some of Ebays goods and bads.
    Anyways, I watched as it had zero bidders or buyers ( zero feedbacks and some pictures that were small etc ...not a lot of interest ) and I contacted the guy.
    He seemed decent enough but after a few phone calls I discovered we had been in the same business network and I had a decent gut feeling about him.
    I made him an offer and I decided to pull the trigger ( shaking my head at myself also ) after at least getting an appraiser to go there and see if it physically existed.
    I always ask " for what reasons are you selling ? "
    NOTE: I never use the word WHY anymores .....
    I quit using that because for some reason that word puts people into defense mode these days in our blame everybody world...
    Anyways...
    I think he was just downsizing a bit. ALL answers are good [​IMG] .

The bank here actually would not wire the money on an Ebay buy of that size ( automobile ) thinking the seller was an Eastern European scammer or some other scam.
    ( bad idea...answering them truthfully on what you are doing with your $ )
    Yes, yet MORE people in life who are trying to protect me for my own good.
    I cannot wait to drive by there and say...." hey lookit...ya rememeber the day I came in there to get some $ wire !? ..well I doubled its value instead of it sitting in your bank "
    Anyhoo...
    I had to sign an affidavit that I was in my right mind. ( little do they know ...lol )
    A week or so later...
    it arrived here intact, ran, but barely , and had symptoms of either being stored and driven very sparingly or actually being a scam.

I am still working at the rock factory / salt mine Barney Rubble style.
    (IMO is you are able to work at something )...do it..and I am late getting this going but I am
    doing good with it and will post the progress of a few months of elbow grease and hard work.Anyways...
    Here are few pics of when I received the wagon this last summer from the Ukrainian shippers.
    It was brought from Virginia. I bought it unseen to me and I was extremely nervous about that to say the least.
    I am from the days of Auto Trader magazine / newspaper classified advertisements when you went and rolled and rolled around under anything
    you were thinking about purchasing.

Yeah, times have changed, not as much of this genre left anymore and geographically it is near impossible to get out and about and see what is available and IF it is available...
    The P.O. of this one was a retired Bell System telephone guy who now has his own business and hes is in mid 60s. He just wasn't into it anymore...
    Enough narrative for now I guess ( need some more coffee...lol ) so here are a few pics to get started.

Regards to all and the rest of 2017 is gonna be a great year ! Back later.
    Haystackneedle
    20160503_141834.jpg 1962 JEEP INTERIOR PASSENGER.jpg 344.jpg

2. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Good luck with your project. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Enjoy your weekend.

Hystckndle likes this.
  3. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

My first car I bought in 1967 was a willys jeep utility wagon, it was a stick and id never drove one, it was a learning experience bringing it home.

Hystckndle likes this.
  4. Hystckndle

1st test drive was around the block and in the hood, ran pretty darn rough but the coffee shop is only 3 miles....decided to try it. Had already changed the major fluids and checked things out but was apprehensive about wandering to far at first.
    The coffee shop would be the 1st " outing " and meet up with the 2 member Wagon club we have going. [​IMG] Huge " club"
    My high school ( class of 78 ) friend Kevin has a 1960 Wagon and it was a big inspiration in my axing the later jeeps
    we had--I love Cherokees-- and getting this wagon.

Lots of smoke and acceleration trouble etc on the way home, I was not happy and was thinking perhaps I had been hoodwinked.
    Here is a pic of us at the coffee shop.

JEEPS.jpg

5. Hystckndle

2nd stop...exhaust shop.
    I thought JB Weld ( that stuff patches everything yknow ) would tide me over until I could get some other things done but then
    the screw driver I was using to tap a little bit went in to the hilt. Yup...just moved up the list...tie with the fuel system.
    Finding a custom pipe bender here was the interesting part.
    It did not occur to me ( duh !) that it would be like my business only different and the reality
    is that they have all become parts replacers these days and a pipe bender mechanic isn't a common thing.
    One of the three places on this side of town had a guy and I took the 2nd maiden voyage drive there.
    They did a good job, I was happy with the outcome but I limped home--on a trailer-- with a healthy assist
    from Kevin, he is a good guy, as it was running horribly and barely.

pitw and searcher like this.
  6. Hystckndle

Figured the best place to start with the running rough, boggin down, smoking, etc problem was fuel.
    Wagon arrived with a plastic tank.
    Replaced that with a steel one.
    Fuel lines looked good. Cleared them ( it ) to the front with air, reconnected all.
    Will sell the removed one on Craigslist only if someone coherent answers my ad, lol,
    somehow CL attracts some interesting folks.

Next up was the carburetor. Decided to order a basic new one.
    Bolted right on. Readjusted the linkage a bit.
    While in there...see above engine bay photo of what we started with...we replaced the water pump,
    starter solenoid, and voltage regulator and the oil filter set up.
    Replaced the distributor with an electronic one.
    Further, since we had the radiator out, we decided to strip out the oil bath cleaner,
    pretty much everything and repainted as much as we could get to from above not pulling the engine.
    All back together now, runs more like it should...1000% improvement and is settling down a bit.

182.jpg 252.jpg 343.jpg

gringott, andial, mayhem and 3 others like this.
  7. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Yep,

all you need is that old bumper sticker,

'Please pass me, I will be along eventually'

:weed:

mayhem likes this.
  8. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    Where is the snow to lay on while repairing? Enjoy the [L] outta the project.

Hystckndle likes this.
  9. mayhem

mayhem Другая перспектива Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    Or as Brother Dave would say. "I may be slow but I'm ahead of you"!

10. mayhem

Retired
    Wife has been bugging me to sell the Blazer. It mostly just sits in the garage, and I have only put 150 miles on it in 10 years. The thing is in original 5 star condition, not even a door ding on the original paint. Little under paint rust bubble on the cab but that's it.

Haystack, if ya get a few moments would you PM me? I would like to put it on eBay, but haven't ever sold anything there.

11. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

I noticed it has a Fram C3 type bypass oil filter. They used them on old Ford tractors and I have one on a flathead Continental engine running an IR air compressor. They don't make that filter anymore but they make a sorry ass pleated 20 micron replacement which is designed for full flow oil filtration systems, and call it a C3 filter. If you have ever had a sub-micron bypass oil filter before, like the original in that Jeep, you know they do a much better job of cleaning oil. Sometimes you can find old type elements with stacked type media on ebay. Another solution would be a Frantz filter.

BTW, I love your old Jeep. I had a rough old 1949 or 1950 panel truck with F head engine once.

Hystckndle likes this.
  12. Hystckndle

Thanks, Howdy, for that.
    Onna the replacememt parts places sold me a new filter cannister and filter.
    I took the one in the 1st pics out cuz the suppossed " restoration " guys had rigged it.
    On one of the forums another guy suggested " changing the oil more frequently " with an F4 engine and your post allowed me to connect a dot.
    The panel truck sounds pretty cool.
    I wish I could have seen that.
    I like everything.
    I started yacking with a guy here I had seen at 2 dif McDonalds reading car magazines...
    Turns out he is 75 or so and has owned many Edsels.
    Totally cool guy. I went , 35 miles away, to a cruise in they had and there were 100 cars there and 20 or so Edsels. Totally cool.
    Talk later Howdy.
    Will try and post some more clean up efforts over the weekend.
    Regards to all.

13. Hystckndle

Starting at the front with cleaning of everything and the paint. Cleaning is purple power, brillo, soap and water, you name it and good old fashioned elbow grease. Then a sand and respray. Fenders coming out good.
    We have a rudimentary outdoor shop in the back yard of our blue collar "hood".
    Never could get into a giant 30 year mortgage.
    Been working on the underside and doing some other stuff.
    Lots of frame detailing and checking out all under carriage items.
    Will try and post some more pics.
    Back as time allows.
    Regards to all,

And yeah, it might go not go fast. Seems everyone these days wants to drive like Garlitts in their Kias and ething else, LOL
    Have the same issue issue with the big 1985 van. Just about EVERY time I go up to the Home Depot ...as soon as the light turns and even if I am off the line pretty good and on the V8 in it...I see the dude behind me immediately act like he is slingshotting me in a draft and do whatever it takes to get around me.
    Used to irritate me...now I just chuckle. 022.jpg 023 (2).jpg 20170108_134655 (2).jpg 20170112_165131.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  14. Hystckndle

Brakes ---an " essential system "
    Repacked the fronts...need a tool for the rears and wanna make sure I use the 5 way one...got order it.
    Looks like the previous owner did them but wanted to go through them as soon as I could.
    Looked pretty good. Stops very straight and tight. Thats a good sign. 018.jpg 020.jpg 013.jpg 014.jpg 021.jpg

15. Flight2gold

Flight2gold Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

pilot
    Beautiful project.
    I have a vehicle that sits a lot in Memphis.
    Had a mechanic tell me to pour a bottle of transmission fluid into the gas tank once a year.
    What? I said.
    He commented, "You ever seen the inside of a transmission? Shiny no?"
    I don't know how but it helps a lot.

searcher and Hystckndle like this.
  16. Hystckndle

Thanks F2G,
    Yeah, thats one of the go to items when it first came that we tried. Injun Trick # 5. :) Spark, then fuel delivery , carb 1st.. then pump , pump seemingly fine for some time but we thought " huh..thats weird " when trying to start..turned out to be the problem.among other things.... Now that ya mention it...i think i might add a bit as entire system is new now.
    Regards,
    ( please post pics of parked a lot vehicle...never enough pics of autos :) ...)
    Haystack

searcher likes this.
  17. Hystckndle

Moving down to the bottom and then towards to the rear with cleaning and painting... 20170108_134727.jpg 20170312_134032.jpg 20170312_134234.jpg
    When scraping off a bunch of whatever the guys sprayed under the vehicle, we are now finding more and more evidence of where they had patched and filled. With metal though and not bondo.
    Looks pretty good and solid under the floor matt.
    Me and car buddy James here, my compadre in crime,
    we have messed with all kinds of rolling stock for over 10 years now,
    are not as sophisticated as many are as far as metal working
    ( nor pockets deep enough to have someone do it for us IF you can find someone anymore you can trust-been burned MORE than one time and have the tattoo and the t shirt )
    and we have sworn off ANY Fred Flintstone vehicles.
    We decided, after some Corvairs, Datsuns, Lincolns, Cadillacs, etc , etc and a half dozen other Jeeps, that we did not have the intestinal fortitude ( read that as stomach, patience and sanity and its Florida here, kinda like the North East as far as rust only different ) for rust buckets anymore.
    Floors and some other stuff...ok, not a problem, we are good.
    BUT, it just eats up our time on anything more than that.
    Frames, not any more. :)

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  18. mayhem

Retired
    My Blazer has that old fashion heavy 'undercoating' that was available at a extra cost back in the day. That's probably why there is no rust anywhere. But is a pita sometimes if ya need to loosen a nut or bolt. You have to wire brush the stuff off first, and it is still gooey.

Hystckndle likes this.
  19. Hystckndle

Going after some other items,
    Heater control, hood catch mechanism area , hubs, hood catch itself too
    I think we are gonna pull the column so we can paint the whole
    sheebang with pedals and clean and brush all under that area and around.
    Also cleaned and polished the hubs and detailed them.
    Wheels next.
    Funny, you get an area done and then you are like " lookit that will ya !? "
    And you see something else you should get to straight away.
    I.E. the front lip in the pic above of the hood catch area. 20170204_103707.jpg 20170204_103721.jpg 20170204_103735.jpg 20170204_103758.jpg 20170209_171344.jpg

searcher likes this.
  20. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

Keep it coming.
    Like the warn manual hub detailing.

Are the washers under the hex bolts some type of bend up to lock thingy?

21. Hystckndle

Yeah,
    Colors are not stock...we added them.
    Member SLV here worked in a very high quality detail and fab shop.
    He posted some picks some time back that were fantastic.
    We are not that sophisticated nor have the $ for work like they were performing.
    Just back yard junkies we are.
    Thanks GNG for the reply.

searcher likes this.
  22. Hystckndle

Brief interlude:::::
    Painted the 1999 Lexus GS 300 with 214000 miles.
    ( Toyota with a leather sofa inside )
    Came out purrrrfect...and I do mean purrrfect....
    Used Mercedes white base coat and 3 coats of fast dry clear. Sanded it like a demon. Looks fantastic.
    Step Kid just turned 25 and now has 10 years of work experience since starting part time at retail. Now she is an account manager for a big 100 plus employee sheet metal company. Giving it to her in a trade. Back with Willys pics later. 20170405_174809.jpg 20170408_134254.jpg 20170408_151548.jpg

andial, searcher and glockngold like this.
  23. Hystckndle

24. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

Awesome backwoods hillbilly paint booth!
    Do you have to tread lightly to not stir up dust, or do you hose down the mulch first?

25. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

Why did you mask off the hood and roof when the whole thing is white? Is that some painters trick?

Hystckndle likes this.
  26. Hystckndle

Yes, masked that off...came back and did the roof and hood after couple of days or so. As oppossed to a factory style volume based paint and body business ...we had literally...all the time we needed. They don' t.
    Its not infinite...but I think you know what I mean.
    No rush, less stuff to go wrong doing small pieces.
    We let the clear set up really hard, then masked the other and did the hood and roof.
    Thanks for asking actually....thats the beauty of DIY.
    " Good enough....never is "...and " Done Right is Personal "
    Regards Howdy,

mayhem, andial and Howdy like this.
  27. Hystckndle

Willys lives in there. Strapped the legs of a 14 x 20 canopy to the outside of some 6 x 6 ' s with EMT straps and its additionally chained down. Did good in the September hurricane too but we are 40 or so miles inland and contrary to some comments here about it , it was a serious deal, a glance and a very lucky sideswipe.
    Yes, very dry in there however we timed it right and it was dead calm here for about a few weeks in March and April. A lttle water spray down doesnt hurt.
    Key is some want to and follow through.
    Anything other than a giant butterfly or a maple leaf or a run the size of the Danube can be sanded out.
    All good. :)
    20170507_105420.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2017 at 7:12 PM
  28. Hystckndle

A little Memorial Day action.
    Next burg over.
    Some American, when it was still American, sheet metal and the best part.....the best it was...
    We got there and were gone b4 it was packed and they actually had and we heard and articipated in the Pledge Of Allegiance !!!!
    Pretty darn cool in my book. Made my whole entire weekend that did.
    What have we become when that CANNOT be recited because it is not PC ?
    A good Memorial Day to all.
    " With Liberty and Justice for All "
    ( shoulda taken more pics...I apologize, some cool sleds there...but they advertised " 15 food trucks " and not a single one was there and Hystck was famished so we left looking for a feed trough...and I ain t going for no tent snacks...tuey said food trucks darn it...even though there was one hot dog tent and that is pretty tempting...told the wife and then she remembered what happened in the City is they decided they wanted to tax the truck, charge for parking AND get another % of the sales and then BOOM ! tacos and gyros are 20 bucks each and you know hows that eneded ....squashed again by the regulators of greed )

20170527_175513.jpg 20170527_174639.jpg 20170527_174634.jpg 20170527_174627.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2017 at 1:49 AM
  29. Hystckndle

20170507_100928.jpg 20170507_101318.jpg 20170507_100006.jpg 20170507_101019.jpg 20170507_102017.jpg Next week end Hyst is trying to round up some more folks for a coffee and cars meet. The British car guys have an every month 1st Sunday meet up at the Golden Coral...I try and spin through the lot as its across the street from the regular coffe shop we go to.
    Sos I see a guy in the coffee shop 2 months ago with Jaguar and I say " yo...nice car but you are in the wrong bfast place "....he allows how he wants to start the same kinda deal only open to ALL cars and besides....he doesn t like GC coffee...
    Anyways...I get the guys number and about 3 weeks later I message him.
    So me and car buddy James show and the Jag guy also calls a few buddies and we have 6 or so folks show and 5 cars...a Lincoln the account guy took as payment I think for a fee (..nice rims...I secretley wanted them to put on the Lexus b4 giving it to the kid and I got a good chuckle on that..) ..a Pontiac Solstice hardtop...the Willys...car buddy James' 94 Mercedes in now near factory new condition and the Jag guys other sled...a Silver Shadow...
    Posting a few pics here...will post some more this next week after the next meet up.
    Hopefully I can jack my jaw and find some more folks to come.
    Hystck 20170507_100048.jpg 20170507_101930.jpg View attachment 91010 View attachment 91011 20170507_100334.jpg View attachment 91013

Last edited: May 28, 2017 at 2:26 AM
  30. Hystckndle

( ppssst....Heh...cannot sleep...trying to beat Searcher to the punch...that guy gets up at like 0400 EST every day and gets with it )

Yeah...another form of G O L D in life...
    Some relationships and contacts in life
    OUTSIDE your regular work AO.
    Big lull in that in my life ( other than here ) for the last 20 years...working on that...
    Gold...it comes in many forms.... 20170513_144721.jpg

glockngold likes this.