1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Heavy Surf Claims the Life of Bajan Pro in Barbados

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by Goldhedge, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    One last wave... during Irma

Heavy Surf Claims the Life of Bajan Pro in Barbados

Zander Venezia, 16, dies after a treacherous session on Barbados' east coast
    By Matt Pruett

• Published:September 5, 2017
    • R.I.P. Zander Venezia, one of Barbados' most talented junior pros, who passed away today. He was 16 years old.
      Photo: Courtesy Facebook

[​IMG]

We are shocked and saddened to report that Zander Venezia, a budding young pro surfer from Bridgetown, Barbados, died today after surfing a particularly heavy session at a notoriously nasty wave on Barbados' east coast. While the family waits for an official autopsy, it is believed that Zander possibly broke his neck upon hitting the shallow reef.

After getting his fair share of big barrels all morning, the 16-year-old got caught by a closeout set, which drove him into the shallow, rocky bottom. Bleeding and unresponsive, he was pulled out of the water by Nathan Florence, who was among a cadre of pros who flew over to Barbados to catch the mega-swell currently being generated by Hurricane Irma.

"Horrible news," original Bajan pro-turned-surf instructor Alan Burke told Surfline. "I feel empty, we are in shambles over here. I wasn't there [at the spot], but my wife has been with the Venezia family at the hospital."

"I'm told that Zander get overturned by a closeout set, where he likely hit bottom," Alan managed between tears. "Nathan Florence got to him first, then shouted for the other guys and started to perform CPR. Zander was bleeding, and he wasn't moving. They tried to get him to the beach quickly, which was difficult. 'Box by Box' is a tough place to get in and out of, even if you have the ability. There's lots of big rocks around, and some stick out of the water."

"When they finally did get him in, they performed CPR on the beach," Alan continued. "The ambulance came really swiftly from Speightstown, and the whole drive Nathan Florence, Dylan Graves and the paramedics continued to try and revive him. But once they got him to the hospital, Zander was breathing, but not responsive. From the time Nathan got to him in the water to when they arrived at the hospital, it was about 75 minutes of nonstop CPR."

"He was one of my sons' [Josh and Jacob Burke] best friends, and like a son to me," Alan continued. "We just traveled the whole East Coast together, surfing that last Outer Banks swell together. Zander was such a good, funny kid. He was always joking, and he just loved surfing. He was so jovial, such a joy to be around. I just can't believe he's gone. I'm a mess, man. We're all a mess over here."

If there's any consolation to be found in this tragedy, it is in Zander's last words, spoken to Dylan Graves just before that fateful closeout set took his life.

"He told Dylan, 'I just got the best wave of my life!'" Alan finished. "Dylan was the last person to speak to Zander. Then that next closeout set came through."

Our deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of this very talented, very likable Bajan surfer. Stay tuned to Surfline as more details become available.

UPDATE: WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 6TH, 4PM EST:

Alan Burke just revealed the following information regarding Zander's death: "Autopsy came back. He was knocked unconscious and drowned. No fractures."

searcher likes this.
  2. BackwardsEngineeer

BackwardsEngineeer If I weren't a snowflake, I'd have no luck at all Silver Miner

So help me understand... You have a minor who is somehow allowed to fly thousands of miles to surf unknown waters during record tides? Where in the heck where his parents? Has the entire world just given up all parenting responsibility? Does no one have discernment anymore?

Met a strange fellow who in the middle of a rather mundane conversation dropped a truth bomb on me and has had me reeling for months. Goes like this:

me- sorry to hear about Joe passing, tragic..
    SF- guess so, i'm kinda amazed he was part of the 99.
    me- 99? you mean that he was 1% elite
    SF- naw I really don't know anything about 1% elite, I'm talking 99% useless eaters.
    me- ohh the globalist plot to reduce the population to 500 million.
    SF- are you brain dead? I don't know anything about plots or politics or any other fake facades. I'm talking about people whose only place in life is to consume, constipate, and in every way possible make life miserable for the 1% of people who are actually conscience. the 99.
    me- this is new to me and my mind is blowing. So you think there are these people who just in many ways useless?
    SF- think? Did you drive the interstate to get here?
    me- yep
    SF- di you see any cloggers?
    me- cloggers?
    SF- you know people who intentionally pull up next to another vehicle and just sit there mile after mile, backing up traffic 20, 30 even 50 cars deep, cloggers.
    me- well yes after all this is Florida..
    SF-well there are cloggers everywhere, it what the useless eaters do. Clog everything, impede progress, there are as bad as the takers.
    me- takers?
    SF- dang son you really don't know about takers.
    me- those with there hand out?
    SF- I could handle the downtrodden or poor, no we are talking those that suck the life out of mass groups of people. Constantly sucking the life out of everything they touch.
    me- like .gov?
    SF- .gov and every major organized corporation, religion everyone from aarp to zionism, the whole bunch of life sucking takers.
    me- so the 99 are pretty much cloggers or takers?
    SF-well you still have the do nothings and the brain deads. those that are to lazy to do anything useful or those that have checked out in any of a thousand ways
    me- so thats the 99, cloggers, takers, do nothings and brain deads......
    SF- yep and honestly there should be little remorse when one of them go, they were just impeding progress for the few who actually want to move forward
    me- little remorse that is darn hard, especially here at a wake?
    SF- don't take this personal, I'm just saying the obvious you think about it long and hard, but have you not been surrounded most of your life by takers, cloggers, brain dead and do nothings? And have they not impeded progress at every and any turn?
    me- yes but they have value, they are after all our neighbors, co workers, family and friends.
    SF- sure they have value, takers use brain dead and do nothings to set up systems to allow more taking. Cloggers use .gov, causes, any change in the wind to prevent and hamper change but more importantly progress.
    me- this seems hard to grasp, it goes against everything I Believe.....
    SF- well ponder it a while, but the real question is where are you?

So that is the strange fellow story, this young fellows parents just made the 99

Goldhedge, Glasgow and Cigarlover like this.
  3. Cigarlover

Cigarlover Gold Member Gold Chaser

Sad that he was only 16. So much life ahead of him. At least he went doing what he loved to do.
    I think he was a local so I don't think he traveled thousands of miles. Also at 16 I left home to find my way in the world. That was a different time I suppose. Nowadays our 16 yr olds are more like 12 or 13.

Goldhedge and searcher like this.
  4. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

The obvious question to ask of your Strange Fellow is then, what is progress? Progress toward what? Progress for who? Will the cloggers, takers, braindead and do nothings be included or even benefit from your progress? Will progress in any way move these useless eaters out of their current condition?

If not, I would say you just met someone who is going beyond simply embracing the madness and moving toward a psychopath-in-training.

Bigjon and Son of Gloin like this.
  5. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

Duuuude, that was one gnarly ride!

spinalcracker likes this.
  6. spinalcracker

spinalcracker On a mail train. Silver Miner Site Supporter

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    One has to admire the insane passion of surfers......

7. BackwardsEngineeer

BackwardsEngineeer If I weren't a snowflake, I'd have no luck at all Silver Miner

Alton my first reaction was infinitely more taken back than yours. He ridiculed the very core of what I thought was my truth. Here is the problem, do you deny that some percentage of the population is as he describes, 5%... 2% .... 1%...... .001%?

8. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    You live by the board, you die by the board!

Aurumag and Goldhedge like this.
  9. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Garrett McNamera , adrenalin junkie old school......

Off the coast of Portugal....

BackwardsEngineeer likes this.
  10. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

I have no doubt whatsoever that cloggers, brain dead, takers and do nothings are out there in droves. I drive the roads of Indiana and Michigan as well as shop locally and when I work I am out in the public. Yes, they are out there...in droves.

The problem is, ALL people, including me, are, at some level, both blind and ignorant (ignorant = without knowledge). We ALL need a little help from time to time. Obviously some people need more help more often than others. Nevertheless, we are all still human. This "strange fellow" cannot see that to the point of working with it or around it. It's how we have to get on in this life. For those who can't or won't, they are the most blind and ignorant of all. It is also they who will pay the most for their blindness and ignorance. In a way I pity them. Their expectations of this life are in no way rooted in reality. Their choice is to be terminally disappointed or, more often than not, to take their place in the armies of the psychopaths & sociopathss who take action on their hatred of humanity. Sure, they have lots of justifications for all they do and think. Much of it sounds good...at least until the blood spills and their madness and hate is revealed for all to see (among those who can see). Is this progress? Appease the maniacs and you get showered with the goods of the world? Is it worth it? Yeah, lots of hard questions in this life, lots of difficult decisions, lots of getting "slowed down" by others. So you have to ask, is progress really all that important, especially when it's undefined? Maybe "strange fellow" needs to go hang out on a mountain top with the Dali Lama or llama dolly to get a grip on some genuine reality before he becomes just another hater of humanity as he progresses to his death and lack of fulfilment.

11. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    IDK, I stand guilty, guilty of clogging up the line during a storm surge. Surfed a few and it can get crazy when the sets are not even. Sometimes them monsters show themselves and sometimes they just pop up, sometimes you paddle out to catch it and it just disappears and sometimes it is best to stay in the kiddy pool.

I am not sure what a closed set is though wtfover, closed set? IDK....beer and memories, beer and memories.

it is a stupid shore break, no wonder he is dead,....shit Shirley. Who in the f would drop straight down and not head in with that crap? What they are saying is that the waves were pounding parallel to what ever coastline he was at instead of at an angle. Either that or these waves were coming in from a different angle but ? NAW F'n child went out to surf the surge and screwed up.

12. ^updated^

^updated^ found a way in Silver Miner

no answer
    This surfer has really good form. I wonder if he is a pro.

2 girls on beach watch surfer.jpg

13. michael59

20 years logging
    K.....could some one plz ex-plain's the hands and arms on the two nuptial's?

14. michael59

20 years logging
    Holie cow pies! I expanded the pick till I could see all the hairs and then shrunk it till I could not read anything.... Yes peeps the girl in the stripes, yes those are her hands. darn thought this was some fake news....

^updated^ likes this.
  15. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Lightwave Jockey
    I did crazy things in the ocean when I was 10 through 48.

I've done crazy things terrestrially.

Multiple aircraft crashes.

Still here though.

The kid lived, and he died doing what he most loved.

RIP kid.

GOLDBRIX, Irons and spinalcracker like this.
  16. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690

That's the breast surfer form out there , shooting the tube hanging ten...

^updated^ likes this.
  17. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

Absolutely fantastic form on the stripy one. Damn!

^updated^ and spinalcracker like this.
  18. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

I must have read it too fast I read "Banjo Player".
    What the hell is a "bajan-pro" ?

19. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

"hands"? "arms" ? :finished 2: Oh, I see what you are talkin' about now. :picture perfect:
    It took me awhile. :winks2:

20. GOLDBRIX

There is alot of people who live the woulda, coulda, shoulda life, aka - existence, which is not really living.

spinalcracker likes this.