1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Hi guys

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by Brio, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Brio

Brio Midas Member Midas Member

Haven't been around much, partner at work quit and I've been going flat out trying to keep up. Laptop is being rude, ordered a new one but shit's happening here and I won't get it for a while. Wild fires every where, we were ordered to evacuate Sunday but disobeyed. Fortunately I'm one of those psycho preppers and when all the fires started I filled the car, the 150 litre gas tank in the truck and every jerry can I could find. There isn't a gas station within 200 miles with fuel, one grocery store open but the shelves are bare. No atm or debit/credit work.
    We still have power and internet though. And no one is laughing at me for the 5 year supply of toilet paper I have. Mua ha.
    We've been pitching in, spark watch, cooking meals, taking horses to the field from neighbors whose property was burning. I'm deeply impressed with how the community pulled together. Ya'll would be proud of me, my past time is panning the dirt my hubby brought back from the Yukon, think I've gathered about 1/2 an ounce. Down to dust though, if anyone knows a trick to getting that from the dirt I'd appreciate it. I've already got the magnetite out.
    I can't stress enough how being prepared for self reliance has made this doable for us. Take care all.

2. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Glad you're doing well. Reminds me of when we had a huge tornado that took out the huge main power lines coming into the area. The whole county was without power for about a week. Like you, preps came in handy.

I used to think preppers were loons, worrying about TEOTWAWKI. However after witnessing the aftermath of areas surrounding Orleans after Katrina, I was convinced. There are too many opportunities for an ordinary natural disaster to make life uncomfortable if you are not prepared. Good on you for being prepared.

Brio likes this.
  3. Weatherman

Weatherman In GIM since 2006 Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Sorry to hear your bad news, Brio. Glad your preps approach has helped to ease the pain. If the problems continue, be wary of neighbors who have not prepped but know that you have. Those rolls of TP could be an attractive target.

4. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Long time no read [your posts].

Hope everything gets better soon and you all including animals make it through safe.

Son of Gloin and Brio like this.
  5. keef

keef Пальто Crude Platinum Bling

Retired Hoser
    Good to hear from you, Brio. I wouldn't want to drive an 18 wheeler laden with fuel into a fire evacuation area myself. Know a guy from NYC that was driving such a rig right in NYC when the second tower got hit on 911. Yeah, needless to say he wheeled the big rig around and some how got it back to the Terminal.

It's when the grid goes down I'd worry (if such an event happens/no cell--no Internet), maybe now is the chance to get the know the neighbors you can depend on and the ones to avoid.

Miss ur posts. Understand how busy you are, but don't be a stranger, girl... ;)

Brio and Lt Dan like this.
  6. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Hello Brio,
    Hang tight.
    Regards,

Brio likes this.
  7. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

Hang in there Brio. Sounds like you are doing as well as could be expected. This state I live in (Ca.) is on fire as well, but that's become a yearly, seasonal thing. It's hot and dry around here, perfect conditions for trouble. On Monday I was out front watering, when a small Toyota pickup came down the road I live on. Teenage girl driving, left front tire completely flat, flashers on, and she's doing about 25 mph on an asphalt road! Oh, did I fail to mention that the tire was smoking? If anyone wonders how all these brush fires start out west here, or anywhere else, there's your answer! Hopefully the locals are a little brighter up there where you live Brio! Good luck to you!

Brio and andial like this.
  8. Argent Dragon

Argent Dragon Site Support Site Mgr Site Supporter

Me too..........HI guys !!! and good to see Brio & everyone here.

Glad to hear your safe near the wildfires......preps A+

Brio likes this.
  9. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    So? You have your black sand out? gently wash the light from the heavy. If you have all same color as in yellow with light and fine then call it good and put it in a separate container.

Or you could get a wash wheel....it is one of those spiral things that wash and spiral up and into center, they work very good. Remember the speed turns consistently so it is the water that does the classifying.

Oh and good luck with your rescue efforts.

Brio likes this.
  10. EricTheCat

EricTheCat Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Best of luck Brio and thank you for sharing your story. I would never wish for any of us to need our preps.

Brio likes this.
  11. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    Glad you took the time to include us in on your adventure!

Be well!

Brio likes this.
  12. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    Be careful out there Brio! Happy to hear you and the family are safe. Please keep us posted if you can and stay safe!

Brio likes this.
  13. Brio

It's crossed my mind that people think they could help themselves to what they need/want. I thought of things like parking both vehicles close so the gas caps can't be got at but all that does is advertise we have fuel. Neighbor and I picked saskatoons yesterday, made pies. Other than taking turns sleeping it's quite boring. Anyways, it's calmed down lots, very smokey but cool and no wind. I'm hoping the worst is over and as I type that a water bomber flies overhead lol. Interesting experience. Definitely glad I keep the cold room full and didn't put off fueling up. It would really suck to have to leave and no way to go. Of course there are horses in my pasture and I have lots of Cariboo spares. Saddles.

14. Brio

We looked online for how to build one but all say just buy one, that isn't an option right now. damn it. All that pretty color and trying to get it is like pulling a mad wet hen's teeth.

the_shootist, michael59 and Lt Dan like this.
  15. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    Saskatoons, we have a verity of those here, we call serviceberries, love 'em. My plants have some kind of disease, so I have not yet figured out how to deal with it. We only get a very few berries, most of them just dry up and are not good. However, the leaves also do not look healthy, kinda rusty looking. :don't know:

As for getting those tiny specks of gold out of the other fines, that's all we have here in Ohio, I've found a very sloooooow process of panning and either a dry finger tip or a very fine set of tweezers to pick them out. Either way, it is very slow and almost not worth the effort. More of a job for a patient old man like me, but I'm not volunteering. :gold:

Cigarlover likes this.
  16. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    You two are freaks and yes it takes one to know one. So? How much time on your hands do you have beer babe? Ur stuck in fire land with a pan of fines and no place to go.....hum...what do I do? I would say classify... remember never put off today what you can do tomorrow...or was that do tomorrow what you don't want to do today?

Oh...It is do not put off to or for tomorrow what you can do today....Shit that was dug down deep I'm the cobwebs....