1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Hoarding Nickels

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by Argentum, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Bluegill

Bluegill New Member

I see no advantage to hoarding CuNi nickels. What are they? Cu bullion coins that are .750 fine, or Ni bullion coins that are .250 fine..? If and when the melt ban gets lifted you will NEVER get the theoretical MV on these things. The cost to separate the 2 metals is just to cost prohibitive. They are a CuNi alloy. As somebody already mentioned, the refiners will amend the alloy to the more common 80/20 or 70/30 alloy. You will get scrap CuNi prices.

Canadian .999 Ni nickels are the way to go if you want to invest in Ni. Or any of the easily available foreign Ni coins.

2. highroller4321

highroller4321 New Member

I see your point but 90% also not pure.

I agree that you are better of with .999 Canadian or pre 82 copper though.

3. fasTT

fasTT Seeker Seeker

CuNi in 80/20 or 70/30 are standard alloys that get a PREMIUM over melt from platers and end users. However, you will never get that from a scrap yard.

And since US nickels and 1982 - 2001 Canadian nickels are 75:25 you have to re-alloy them to make them work in industry.

You either have to have a large amount and sell direct or hold off until a more liquid market develops as "junk" CuNi.

In the meantime, I still agree with you Blue - .999 pre 1982 Canadians are perfect bullion. Each one is exactly 1/100th of a pound of pure nickel.

4. kempeitai

kempeitai New Member

y'all should try swallowing some of these hoarded nickels one by one; later on, you can play change machine

5. latemetal

latemetal Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

You first, but no swimming after you eat.:reddy:

6. AuAgCuPb

AuAgCuPb New Member

If you need justification for "hoarding" ( I love that word with all it's connotations) there is Gresham's Law. Pennies and nickels will have a bullion premium over the base metal value. There is no doubt as to their eventual appreciation, the only question is if the ROI is sufficient to warrant the effort. Virtually no risk is nice. I don't buy pennies and nickels in large quantities but I never pass up an opportunity to add a little to the stash.

7. dirt to oil

dirt to oil Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

pipe trades
    inconel and monel are alloys used in the petro chemical industry, aprox 66% ni 33% cu and are very expensive , if it was legal to melt them there would be a buyer

8. Mined Games 2

Mined Games 2 Seeker Seeker

I'm concentrating on pre-'82 pennies for now, so I'm not buying nickels at the bank currently. But eventually I plan on having a nice stack of $100 boxes in my bunker. When the dwindling copper percentages start to make penny sorting less fruitful, then I plan on turning my attention Mr. Jefferson's way! That being said, I save all of the nickels I get in change, and have well over $100 worth stashed away already as a head start. The other thing that would change the situation, would be an announcement from the mint that they're degrading the composition of the nickel. The I'd start to salt the nickels away with a lot more conviction.

9. ctrl-z

ctrl-z Seeker Seeker

I bought my first box of nickels the other day. I asked at the bank, and they were happy to help, there was a comment about nobody ever asking for these by the box anymore. I am not going to go crazy with it but I will be picking up a few more here and there.

I am also a very small scale copper sorter as well.

10. wiper

wiper Seeker Seeker

teacher
    might be because of the drop in nickel and copper, it's worth less than 5 cents right now?

like 4.7 or something like that now.

i'm pretty sure it'll creep back up, but just an FYI.

11. Sampson

Sampson Digging for nuggets of knowledge Silver Miner

Mining
    The ladies at my bank thought i was nuts when i started buying bricks of nickels but they are used to it now and keep quite a few boxes in stock. Even with the drop in Nickel the pre 82 Canadian nickels i store are still worth about eight and a half cents each, a no lose proposition, and a couple layers across the bottom of the safe makes for great ballast too. :D

Sampson

12. Argentum

Argentum New Member

They're never worth less than 5 cents - that's the appeal to hoarding them.

13. minimus

minimus Guest

What is "5 cents" worth ... ?

Is 5 cents "worth" the same today as it was 5 years ago ... ?

14. JEKYLL-7

JEKYLL-7 Seeker Seeker

Me too. Getting scarce these days though, the hoarders and the mint are both trying to suck them out of circulation at the same time. Our money is so worthless now it's sad. Up next: plastic coins (to go with the new plastic paper money of course).

15. Occam

Occam New Member

Any tips for an American trying to obtain some Canadian nickels?

16. fasTT

fasTT Seeker Seeker

Send me an email - daniel@coincanada.ca

10 cents each shipped anywhere in North America. I currently have over $2000 FV.

Minimum $100 FV, but I prefer to sell them in 50 lb. ($250 FV) bags.

17. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Lightwave Jockey
    I would much rather maintain an inventory of copper/nickel alloy coins, than a stack of paper with the same face value.

Boxed coins also make excellent barriers to bullets and intrusive imaging equipment.

Argentum likes this.
  18. Occam

Occam New Member

This may be a newbie question, but that's just what I am. Are your coins for sale all pre-'82s, or is it a grab bag? Thanks!

19. louky

louky Silver Member Silver Miner

I bought in to this idea of stacking U.S. Nickels previously, but never acted on it. Now with the base metals close to bottoming, Janet wanting to run a hot economy, and the Nickel coin composition as we know it likely nearing an end . Anyone buying into this idea now? I'm guessing most went in heavy from 2011-14 if they thought it was a good idea, but anyone else considering this currently as a way to store some cash ?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  20. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

I don't hoard them, as in intentionally purchasing large qtys of them, but for quite awhile I've been tossing in a jar all the ones I get in change. I figure what's it hurt? If nothing ever comes of it, they're still worth that same nickel. Ie: there's no downside, only the possibility of future gain.

ErrosionOfAccord and mayhem like this.
  21. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I've been taking nickels and pre-1982 pennies out of my pocket change for 6 or 7 years now. They don't accumulate fast; but I guess I have a couple of quart jars of each now. It's painless to do and it makes me feel good. So, why not?

ErrosionOfAccord and mayhem like this.
  22. mayhem

mayhem Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

That's what we have been doing for over 20 years now. Got some jars of penny's that have not been sorted through from the early days. We never spend change, always put it in separate jars at the end of the day. We use a small digital scale to weigh the penny's on. On nickels, well I have no idea how much we have, but like Joe King we have never bought any, just saved all that we come home with.

23. louky

I can appreciate you guys saving the coins from change. I personally never use cash. What i'm considering is stacking bank boxes of nickels. Not a "crazy" amount, but I can see multiple scenarios where this could benefit me in the long run. If I'm wrong, then it's still better than paper money at home or digits in the bank.

Joe King likes this.
  24. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

The 1982 pennies may be copper and they may be not. The only way to tell them apart that I know of is to weigh them; and I don't have a scale. So, for the time being, the 1982 pennies go into a separate jar waiting for the day I'm able and willing to weigh them, LOL.

25. louky

Hoarding nickels, hot topic from 2010 to around 2014. The last guy still updating as of Feb 2015

https://survivalblog.com/nickels/

Looks like the mint, "not recommending new coin compositions" as of Dec 2014

http://www.coinnews.net/2014/12/15/us-mint-not-recommending-new-coin-compositions/

Still researching alternatives in 2016. Quarter not viable due to vending machines and fraud

http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-co...ch-for-coin-composition-alternatives.all.html

Alternatives for the Nickel has gone from 49 possibilities to 6 to 4 now it appears:

[​IMG]

26. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

Maybe I am missing something but hoarding a 5 cent coin that has a metal content of 3 cents is kinda pointless....

$0.0305431 is the melt value for the 1946-2014 nickel on October 14, 2016.

27. Buck

Buck Fabian Society Gold Chaser

in 100 years, there'll be a gazillion cents and now a gazillion nickels still available for collectors
    In 200 years, there'll be a gazillion - 10,000 lost from poor handling, cents and nickels still available for collectors

Just like ASE's :2 thumbs up:

28. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

I know we have discussed this before, but maybe we have more ideas now. I have looked at the composition (30% Ni, 70% Cu) and could not find any industrial use for that particular alloy. But there are a number of other Cu/Ni alloys. So if you melted them down, the alloy might not be very useful.

What else might they be useful for? They can be drilled and used as washers that are a little softer than steel and corrosion resistant. Maybe shims or as stock for machining certain small parts? They are good for calibrating scales, but how often is that needed? A bunch of them loaded into a shotgun shell could make a very interesting pattern, with discs going everywhere.

Well, I tried, but I can't think of any really compelling reason to "invest" in nickels, just a few reasons to save a few pounds of them from my pocket change.

29. louky

I find it very interesting you went and found the metal composition value and are basing the validity of this idea off that. Goes right along with this thread being from 2010 and all the hits from googling ending in 2014. No surprise stacking nickels was such a popular discussion at the all time top of base metal prices. Typical human psychology, chasing a top for opportunity, whether in stocks, houses, PM, everything.

[​IMG]

Silver forum posts to spot price comparison at Kitco:

[​IMG]

For comparison, this is a bottoming pattern (10-15% downside still possible):

[​IMG]

30. louky

What happens when the nickel is recompositioned and disappears from circulation within a few years after that. I'm not claiming to know for certain, but go ahead and put your definitive answer down in this thread so we can compare it to the results.

31. JayDubya

JayDubya Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Merlin, you can do a simple drop test (or ring test) to identify those 1982's that are copper versus those that aren't. Coppers will ring out a completely different tone.

Merlin, mayhem and louky like this.
  32. louky

33. CrimsonGuardJay

CrimsonGuardJay Silver Member Silver Miner

You mean to tell us you have $100,000 invested in nickels, probably weighing a few metric tons? Good lord...

34. louky

For the SHTF folks and preppers. Would the only real money currently left in circulation not be useful for trade under those conditions? I'm asking because I don't know. Maybe too little value?

mayhem likes this.
  35. louky

Do people still keep cash dollars at home for emergency these days?

I nearly to the point I would argue everyone that can afford it (almost no one in today's society) should buy $500-1000 in bank box nickels for their emergency fund. Waiting for you guys to talk me down.

36. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

I guess we would slowly run out of cheap Cu/Ni washers and shims. If I had any other ideas to use nickels, I probably would have thought of it in the last few years.
    I doubt it. The "real money" would be things that would be useful to someone, somewhere. Even gold is "useful" for making jewelry and paying the King's taxes (because the King loves gold). The same goes for Federal Reserve Notes. They don't have intrinsic value, but they can (must) be used for paying the mandatory taxes.

37. louky

I opened up my junk drawer just now and there's 3 bank boxes of nickels laying in there. I'll have to hide them out of plain sight due to the embarrassment factor, but at least they'll be fire proof....

[​IMG]

38. louky

Thanks for replying to this thread, btw. I've always wondered who "Someone Else" was on the members online tracker

39. mayhem

mayhem Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

Scales are really cheap Merlin, A $10.00 one is all you need.

I look at it like this. When the balloon goes up and digital disappears along with checks and credit cards, you will need something to use as currency. US coins are easily recognizable and could very well be the most popular exchange. I have all the coin I came home with every day for the last 30 years, and yeah it is a lot. We keep $500 in one dollar bills, and another $500 in fives and tens. No big bills. It will be bad, but it will take a long time before we return to sea shells as a currency.

Merlin and louky like this.
  40. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

Merlin and mayhem like this.