1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Home water distillers

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by gringott, Jan 27, 2017.

1. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Does anyone here have any experience with these devices?

I found this one on amazon,
    https://www.amazon.com/Megahome-Cou...85540226&sr=8-6&keywords=home+water+distiller
    Megahome Countertop Water Distiller Stainless, Glass Collection
    by MegaHome
    4.6 out of 5 stars 496 customer reviews
    | 154 answered questions

Price: $229.00 & FREE Shipping

In Stock. Ships from and sold by Nutriteam, Inc..

UL LISTED / APPROVED: UL (Underwrites Laboratory) is a trusted independent global safety science company that thoroughly tests products to determine if they comply with important safety standards. Megahome distillers are the only UL approved water distillers available. If you would not by an oven or coffee maker without UL listing, would you buy a water distiller that is not UL listed?
    • PUREST WATER: Distills 1 gallon per/5.5 hours. Distills at the proper speed, removing unwanted toxins and contaminates.
    • BEST QUALITY: Full 304 stainless steel interior and exterior, water does not touch plastic.
    • GLASS COLLECTION: As the distiller produces pure steam distilled water, the water drips into a glass lined nozzle and then into your glass collector. The last thing you would want is to buy a distiller that purifies the water and at the same time contaminates it with cheap plastic parts. The Megahome keeps your water pure and clean.
    • BEST SERVICE INCLUDED: Every Megahome distiller is backed by a 1 year warranty and the service and support you would expect from a top quality appliance. No need to worry about warranty, customer service, or parts, Megahome distillers have been on the market for over 22 years and are the top selling distiller on the market.

Looks pretty good based on reviews.
    Getting sick of buying and hauling clean water.
    All comments appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

The unwanted minerals and contaminates build up somewhere.
    How's that cleaned out ?

3. gringott

N/A
    They are left in the tank you put the water in. Most commenters say wipe and rinse, occasionally put in a small amount of vinegar and let soak, then rinse. Just about everybody said it was not a big deal.

searcher, Weatherman and GOLDBRIX like this.
  4. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

I've had one for several years. I've probably only distilled about a dozen gallons. I buy bottled "distilled water" which is not really distilled but cleaner than any other water I can find, then I run it through the distiller and use the water to make colloidal silver.

gringott likes this.
  5. MrLucky

MrLucky Silver Member Silver Miner

Gambling man
    What's the power consumption per gallon? Maybe a reverse osmosis system or a Berkeley would be better. Just a thought.

gringott likes this.
  6. Weatherman

Weatherman In GIM since 2006 Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I used one of these daily for two years in a place that had very hard water. Wipe and rinse after each run was good for several runs. Then a little vinegar cleaned it up very well. Before you buy, calculate the cost it will add to your electric bill, and compare to the cost of buying bottled water. If you buy, use a countdown timer to shut off power before it runs dry (approximately 5 hours IIRC). That makes the water taste better and cleanup is easier.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    gringott likes this.
  7. gringott

N/A
    My main unanswered question, what is the power consumption - I can justify the cost of the distiller, but I have no idea of the cost per gallon. I have considered reverse osmosis before, but the wasted water and the physical layout of my water system make it difficult to implement.

I heard about using a timer on some commentor posts. What effect did it have on your electrical bill?

8. Weatherman

The timer does not affect the amount of electrical power this uses, so the timer does not change the cost of electricity per gallon.This distiller uses approximately 600 watts and produces a gallon of pure water in approximately 6 hours. That is 3.6 KWh per gallon of water. Check with your local power company to see what they charge per KWh. Multiply the cost per KWh times 3.6 to find the cost of using this distiller to produce a gallon of pure water. While talking with your electric provider, ask if they have different rates for residential use during peak and off peak hours. If yes, then use the lower rate for off peak time to calculate the cost, and plan to distill during that off peak time window. The countdown timer will shut off power before the unit runs almost dry, so most of the minerals will be still in the remaining water at the bottom of the distiller tank, and they will be easier to clean while still in liquid. If you run the unit until almost all the water is boiled off, then the residual minerals will be a layer of solid sludge in the bottom of the tank. That can make the water taste not as good, and it will make it more difficult to clean the tank out for the next batch.

gringott likes this.
  9. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

fWiw our charge is .076 under 500 kwh and .087 for use over 500, how about filter, i use two between my city water and the fridge/freezer, cant tell the difference between spring and the water coming out of the filters, paid 35 each for the filters

10. gringott

N/A
    I got the part about the timer before, but thanks. Very helpful is the electric usage info. Thank you very much.

I have four filters between the fridge water / icemaker and source, and four between water source and kitchen sink "filtered" tap, one of those four a fluoride filter. Yet enough calcium etc gets through to cause build up in coffee maker - hot drinking water kitchen dispenser. I got sick of cleaning both and having to use vinegar in them, and expensive coffee makers lasting at most a couple of years. I now have a Mr. Coffee coffee maker [$9 after coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond] and it has had zero issues since I started using distilled water [purchased at store]. The hot water dispenser works great and shows zero accumulation of any sediments since switching. Difference in taste between distilled and filtered is very noticeable, unfiltered the taste of coffee and tea was world's apart from filtered, and not in a good way.

Currently I am using distilled water for drinking and cooking. I will calculate the cost of doing this in home. Sick of all the hauling of water, and all the empty jugs. Plus I want to remove plastic storage from my drinking water.

11. gringott

N/A
    Here's our rate info, we have KU not LG&E. Thanks for making me look, my wife pays this bill and I don't think I ever looked into this. Just this off peak info can save us a lot of money. My wife is happy to know, and wants me to post this near the washer/dryer.

Energy Charges
    LG&E KU
    Off-Peak hours charge per kWh $0.06128 $0.05740
    On-Peak hours charge per kWh $0.23263 $0.27646

The kWh charges are the same for the Summer and Winter seasons.

Off-Peak and On-Peak hours

On-Peak hours have a higher per kWh energy charge than Off-Peak hours. Choose your time zone for your time of day rates. Weekends are considered Off-Peak hours.

Jan - March

Leading up to Daylight Savings Time

On-Peak hours: 7 a.m. - 11 a.m. (EST)
    Off-Peak hours: 11 a.m. - 7 a.m. (EST)

March

On-Peak hours: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. (EDT)
    Off-Peak hours: 12 p.m. - 8 a.m. (EDT)

April - October

Leading up to Daylight Savings Time

On-Peak hours: 2 p.m. - 6 p.m. (EDT)
    Off-Peak hours: 6 p.m. - 2 p.m. (EDT)

November

Leading up to the end of Daylight Savings Time

On-Peak hours: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. (EDT)
    Off-Peak hours: 12 p.m. - 8 a.m. (EDT)

November - December

On-Peak hours: 7 a.m. - 11 a.m. (EST)
    Off-Peak hours: 11 a.m. - 7 a.m. (EST)

12. gringott

N/A
    My quick math shows 0.216 per gallon [using rounded figures], say .22 cents a gallon vs. cheapest .88 cents a gallon purchased. .66 cents per gallon savings, say one gallon a day is $240.90 savings a year. Not counting cost of hauling water on fuel usage.

Think I am buying one if my maths is right.

13. Weatherman

I was worried about hot water going into a plastic jug, so I bought the version with the glass collection jug. After using it, I found that the condensed water going into the jug was essentially at room temperature. If I was buying another, I would buy the less expensive version with a plastic jug. Also, I ran my unit several times for a day and stored the water in jugs. Then I cleaned the unit well and let it air dry for a day or two before I used it again. I have seen different types of distillers (that were always wet) develop bio problems.

gringott likes this.
  14. gringott

N/A
    Thanks, some great tips. I may go that way, I have already found a cheaper alternative all glass unit. Some negative feedback however [could be fake reviews]. Some claim they are all made at the same factory. Based on looks, I would hazard a guess the basic form is the same for the two major brands, and the "off" brands seem to be rebranded ones of the cheaper brand.

Megahome all glass $229
    [​IMG]

BEST IN CLASS all glass $269 shipped
    [​IMG]
    Gracelove all glass $140 shipped
    [​IMG]

Etc, they all appear to be basically the same with minor differences.

15. Howdy

Drinking distilled water as a daily habit is not healthy because it removes all the beneficial minerals that your body needs. I would only use it for emergencies, colloidal silver and batteries.

dacrunch likes this.
  16. gringott

N/A
    I've read both sides of that story, my judgement is:
    If I had good well water, I would filter that and be done.
    I don't, I have city water that has fluoride added. I don't want any extra fluoride intake. Chlorine is also used, I don't want that either.
    I eat fresh fruit & vegetables as much as I can, providing natural minerals. I try as much as possible to not eat processed foods.
    I cook at home and rarely eat fast or restaurant food. Exception would be travel.
    I had kidney stones in the past when I drank water with a high mineral content.
    I want water that does not have a taste effect on coffee, tea, everyday cooking.
    I want water that does not damage my appliances in the kitchen.

So I have already chosen to use distilled water.
    Now I am just debating how to obtain it.

Nice little Q&A from the NYTs:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/09/science/09qna.html

Fake news? lol

Howdy and Weatherman like this.
  17. gringott

N/A
    I believe that the US Navy at sea has been drinking distilled water for decades, correct me if I am wrong.

18. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    Yes I believe they do, at least in the subs. They use electrolysis, powered by nuclear reactors.

gringott likes this.
  19. tom baxter

Retired now
    I agree, don't drink that rubbish!
    Do you have access to rainwater or are there any private rainwater tanks near you? We used to make a trip to an uncles house every 2 weeks and take 40 liters out of his tank. He lived only 2 miles away so it was practical. I think you would find it cheaper, safer and more practical in the long run to search out a supply of rainwater in your area. Lugging 20 liter plastic drums will give you some good exercise too :)

20. gringott

N/A
    I do need more exercise. I have considered digging a hole and then filling it in.
    I thought about catching rainwater from my roof, but obviously it would need filtering etc. Still considering it for garden usage.

21. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

you can buy ro water from stores in your own containers for .27 to .30 cents a gallon, eliminates putting out the funds for the machine.

22. gringott

N/A
    Yes I have seen them in walmart etc. However, I would be back to hauling water which I am sick of.

23. tom baxter

Retired now
    I live in the city and drink rainwater off the roof. For years I didn't filter it either but I do now. Don't be fooled by the government propaganda telling us it's not fit to drink. It's a hell of a lot safer than the rubbish out of the pipes.

gringott likes this.
  24. Howdy

Isn't there an effective ay to filter out the fluoride and chlorine? They have special filters for just about everything these days. I had high iron in my last well so I installed an iron filter and sent a sample to a lab and it showed low iron.

25. gringott

N/A
    I have a fluoride filter. It was very hard to find. But all my filtering does not remove the calcium and other sediments in my city water.

26. gringott

N/A
    I got the all glass stainless unit. I have had it a few weeks now.
    I absolutely love it so far.
    Such a pleasure to have distilled water on demand.

27. Garyw

Garyw Am I a Retired Veteran or a Right Wing Fanatic? Silver Miner

tired and retired
    I would like to be able to distill Salt water if I need to as I live close to the Ocean however I use a couple Berkey filters at home and I am constantly refilling them because the wife and I use about 2-3 gallons a day for drinking coffee tea and water. We boil our vegetables in tap water because I cannot get enough water with two berkeys to serve all our water needs. I do not think a small distiller like this would work for me unless I limited our water usage.

28. gringott

N/A
    About three gallons a day would be the max use of this distiller IMHO. I typically make two.

spinalcracker likes this.