1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Hospitals Across England Infected With Ransomware

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Bottom Feeder, May 12, 2017.

1. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

England’s healthcare system fell victim to a massive cyberattack Friday afternoon, forcing several hospitals to divert emergency patients to other facilities. Ransomware appears to be the cause.

At roughly 12:30pm local time, the National Health Service’s (NHS) clinical and patient systems began crashing, with pop-up messages appearing on screens demanding $300 in bitcoin in exchange for access, according to the Guardian.

Ransom.jpg

"Affected machines have six hours to pay up and every few hours the ransom goes up," said Kurt Baumgartner, the principal security researcher at security firm Kaspersky Lab. "Most folks that have paid up appear to have paid the initial $300 in the first few hours."

Sixteen National Health Service (NHS) organizations in the UK have been hit, and some of those hospitals have canceled outpatient appointments and told people to avoid emergency departments if possible. Spanish telecom company Telefónica was also hit with the ransomware.

Spanish authorities confirmed the ransomware is spreading through the vulnerability, called "EternalBlue," and advised people to patch.

An initial report from UK-based MalwareTech researcher indicate that the ransomware was spreading peer-to-peer and may have been weaponized using a leaked Microsoft Windows exploit designed by the U.S. National Security Agency known as EternalBlue.

The ransomware, called "WannaCry," is spread by taking advantage of a Windows vulnerability that Microsoft released a security patch for in March. But computers and networks that haven't updated their systems are at risk. Apply the patch released in March to all systems to prevent WannaCry infections. Although it won't do any good for machines that have already been hit.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...cross-england-hit-by-large-scale-cyber-attack
    http://gizmodo.com/theres-a-massive-ransomware-attack-spreading-globally-r-1795168952
    http://www.wfmz.com/495222211

Thanks .gov

BF

2. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    This can get big....very big

3. Bottom Feeder

thats what I was thinkin

4. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Global cyber attack that uses stolen NSA superweapon cripples the world - as hackers hold every British hospital to ransom and cause chaos in 74 countries
    • British hospitals and clinics forced to turn away patients on Friday when their computers became injected by 'ransomware' in massive cyber attack
    • Cyber attack rapidly spread and infected computers across the globe
    • Malicious software blocked access to computers and demanded payments to restore access and scrambling data
    • Experts say attack used hacking tools identified by the US National Security Agency in documents that were stolen
    • Hackers are believed to have exploited the NSA code, which was released to the world by a group known as the Shadow Brokers last month
    • Victims have been reported in 74 countries including Germany, Spain and USA
    • Computers in Russia's interior ministry were among those affected in attack

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4500738/NHS-hack-huge-global-cyber-attack.html#ixzz4guDTJ41U
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

5. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

That kind of sucks. They should get real jobs instead of extorting businesses.

Usury likes this.
  6. solarion

solarion Gold Member Gold Chaser

Agree. Let's shut down the NSA immediately.

Usury, searcher, Bigjon and 1 other person like this.
  7. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

COMING TO A SINGLE-PAYER PLAN SYSTEM IN THE UNITED STATES - SOON !!!

8. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Hard lesson learned... step up the security protocol.

Anything on the net can be hacked.

We are moving forward with technology but we are not covering our bases.

searcher likes this.
  9. Bottom Feeder

Watch some science fiction movies, read some science fiction books - the computer future is right there.
    I havta say, it's been a long strange trip for me.

BF

10. smilershouse

smilershouse Gold Member Gold Chaser

Hi all,

Is it a mere coincidence we have had two hacks in less than a week? First netflicks now the NHS.

The NHS is held to ransom for a paltry $300 . WTF, $300, whereas any other intended hacker could have demanded at least $1 million. I suspect these reports have the rationale for draconian govts to look into Bitcoin operations and transactions and promise to make the whole thing transparent. Many nay sayers here I am sure will sprout the "blockchain" as its security measure. I am sure that passing laws to investigate the blockchain will pass easily, especially if the previous BTC silk road and its murky drug dealings past are brought up to public attention, to secure its case for investigation. History shows that we have seen this time and time before. Compared to the nation's dependency on credit, debt or savings, the BTC market is tiny but also very lucrative. There is a lot of private money in the cryptocurrencies and those that have not, covet those that have, especially in a debt/credit based insecure environment. Hence drumming up public support will be easily perpetrated, via a massive negative media campaign. Its not I distrust BTC, its rather that I dont trust Govt, nor its propaganda machine. Govts hate freedom and autonomy. Central bankers hate financial freedom. Combined, these 2 entities are powerful forces that, with Quantum computers just around the corner, might just enforce the end that justifies the means, so that the one system that threatens the CB-Govt existence is brought to its knees.

We have had a war on just about everything, Gold, terrorism, famine, cancer, aids, you name it, the govt have declared war. The next stage of the theatre is the war on cash. In fact, it has already started, and perhaps to avoid being a casualty in this war, gives rise to the cryptocurrency markets?

One thing is sure, that throughout history, leaders and Govt and CB's want control of peoples lives and that of the money supply, and by the sense of losing control, would I suspect, invite more draconian actions.

SH

searcher and historyrepete like this.
  11. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

$300 per device......

searcher, GOLDBRIX and smilershouse like this.
  12. birddog

I just saw 57000 devices have been hit. They go with a low number because if it goes much higher then that, folks would just format their hard drives and start over again. $300 is a reasonable fee that is more likely to be paid.

smilershouse, searcher and GOLDBRIX like this.
  13. viking

viking Silver Member Silver Miner

Major Cyberattack Sweeps Globe, Women and minorities hardest hit!

the_shootist and historyrepete like this.
  14. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    Bitcoin vulnerable. Drops $200. Predicted by WEBBOTS.

SC

15. searcher

Catch the hackers: Gang behind 'unprecedented' attack using 'atom bomb of malware' which has now spread to 130,000 systems in more than 100 countries are targeted by global task force
    • Hackers hit dozens of countries on Friday by exploiting a stolen 'superweapon'
    • The cyber attack rapidly spread and infected computers across the globe
    • Europol launching investigation to track down the culprits and help victims
    • Hackers are believed to have exploited the NSA tool, which was stolen and released to the world by a group known as the Shadow Brokers last month
    • British hospitals, the Russian government, Spanish telecoms firm, Renault factories and German railways were among those affected by the cyber attack
    • Victims reported in more than 100 countries including Germany, Spain and USA

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4502384/Global-task-force-launched-snare-cyber-attack-gang.html#ixzz4gy3RfChi

16. solarion

[​IMG]
    ...oh wait, back up to 1778 vs the crap dollar. n/m

Last time I loaded up to any extent 1btc = 335 FRNs. The thing is a beast.

17. SilverCity

retired aerospace
    You got the "beast" part right...

gold @ 300 FRNs and I didn't even own a computer.

SC

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  18. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

I'm also wondering if this is not so much for the ransom money, but to inflate bitcoin values by forcing those who know nothing about them to buy them to pay it off. Kind of like dollar hegemony with oil and such.

smilershouse likes this.
  19. SilverCity

retired aerospace

SC

20. solarion

Yeah I know...bitcoin is evil because it's behaving like its in a free market and gold is legally suppressed by the cartel...so let's all hate on bitcoin. <yawn>
    First time btc was in the double digits. PMs should be doing the same, but unfortunately financial terrorism is legal in Amerika if you're on the right team. The btc vs gold meme is a false paradigm, they're totally different forms of money that serve entirely different purposes.

21. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

It'd be totally unnecessary. The ransomware only demands $300 in BTC. In just the past 24 hours alone, BTC saw nearly $700million in trading volume. BTC doesn't need to be pumped in such a manner as you propose.

solarion likes this.
  22. Bottom Feeder

I'll bet you guys are running your computer with admin privileges, right?
    Anyhow, EternalBlue is not a big deal if you kept the OS updated.
    Run with a user account
    update your OS monthly
    simple steps

BF

23. SilverCity

retired aerospace
    Whatever happened to "If you don't own hold it, you don't own it". It was a freakin' mantra around here in the day....

R.I.P. Ponce

SC

24. solarion

Still is....and as has been detailed too many times to count...it includes bitcoin. Ultimately, the owner of any particular stack of bitcoins is he who controls the private key file. A file which can most definitely be held in your hand.

Gold and silver are near perfect forms of money. Exceptional stores of value. If there's a failing there it is that they're cumbersome to use remotely. That they do not travel well. In short they suck at paying for things over the Internet. Millennials that grew up in the digital age and are comfortable with technology will not be stacking their weight in gold and silver. The vast majority of these younglings see PMs precisely as described by the criminal helicopter Ben...a barbaric relic.

I do not, I like gold and would be stacking it at these prices...were it not so damn overpriced relative to silver.

searcher, Weatherman and SilverCity like this.
  25. SilverCity

retired aerospace
    I mentioned this some time ago, but a middle-aged fellow stopped by my table at a gun show once and wanted to know why I was selling a bag of dimes for so much money...? I pointed out they were silver. "Really?", he asked. "I didn't know dimes were ever silver...." (shrug)

SC

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    GOLDBRIX and solarion like this.
  26. birddog

searcher likes this.
  27. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    Currently reading "Thieves Emporium". It's a dystopian novel about this very thing. In the book the alphabet agencies are pining for this kind of hack so they can declare gold and crypto currency to be terrorist money so those items can be confiscated and or outlawed. Actually appears to be art becoming reality.

GOLDBRIX and Mujahideen like this.
  28. Mujahideen

They are gonna make a movie about this.

searcher likes this.
  29. Mujahideen

Gold is great for storing wealth but physical gold can not move digitally.

If the hackers wanted gold for ransom, they would get caught.

SilverCity and smilershouse like this.
  30. searcher

Surf dude who saved the day: Self-taught web geek is hailed a hero for foiling the ‘ransomware’ virus that crippled the NHS
    • It took the anonymous 22-year-old just hours to find a weakness in the virus
    • The self-taught IT expert used his skills to stop the ransomware spreading
    • But he has played down his heroics, insisting it was all an accident
    • The web geek, from the south coast, said: ‘Saying I’ve saved lives is a bit drastic, but I’ve definitely saved a few people a pretty penny'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4503346/Surf-dude-saved-day-foiling-ransomware-virus.html#ixzz4gzyGfQQy

31. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Good for Him, and the sick people

32. Bottom Feeder

He stopped one variant. The hackers need to change one small function in the virus to circumvent his 'fix.'

Update your operating system ASAP

BF

birddog likes this.
  33. Bottom Feeder

34. searcher