1. Have a great Memorial Weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gone Fishin'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/27/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- Silver $17.32-- Oil $49.80-- USD $97.36 --
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Hottest chili pepper in the world accidentally created by Welsh farmer

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by lumpOgold, May 18, 2017.

1. lumpOgold

lumpOgold Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Hottest chilli pepper in the world accidentally created by Welsh farmer
    [​IMG]
    Mr Smith wanted a good-looking chilli plant, not a hot one CREDIT: DAILY POST WALES
    17 MAY 2017 • 7:50PM

A Welsh fruit grower trying to come up with a novel entry for next week’s Chelsea Flower Show has accidentally created the hottest chilli ever recorded.

Mike Smith, from Denbighshire, declared himself “chuffed” if a little “surprised” after scientists indicated that his Devil’s Breath chilli had eclipsed the existing American record holder by a clear margin.

Originally intended to be a thing of beauty rather than a sensory beast, the peppers measure a formidable 2.48 million on the Scoville heat scale, ahead of the 2.2 million achieved by the Carolina Reaper.

I’ve tried it on the tip of my tongue and it just burned and burnedMike Smith, Chelsea Flower Show contestant
    But the 53-year-old insisted he had never set out to breed a particularly hot-tasting plant, and that he is not even a fan of spicy food.

The one-metre-high tree was on Wednesday night being installed at the Royal Horticultural Society’s London showground, where it will be in contention for the Plant of the Year award.

It was grown in collaboration with scientists from Nottingham Trent University, who believe oil from the chilli’s is so potent it could act as an alternative anaesthetic for those allergic to conventional drugs.

Mr Smith described discovering the ferocious heat of his home-grown plant.

“I’ve tried it on the tip of my tongue and it just burned and burned," he said. "I spat it out in about 10 seconds.

“The heat intensity just grows.”

Experts believe that anyone who attempted to swallow one of the chilli peppers would be at risk of death from anaphylactic shock.

[​IMG]
    Mike Smith said his father would be 'thrilled' CREDIT: DAILY POST WALES
    “It was a complete accident but I’m chuffed to bits - it’s a lovely looking tree,” said Mr Smith, who has been competitively show-gardening for eight years.

The Dragon’s Breath is so powerful that one drop of its capsaicin oil would be detectable in 2.48 million drops of water.

By contrast, US Army Pepper Spray, used to blind and disorientate assailants, measures only 2 million on the Scoville scale.

He has applied to Guinness World Records and is currently awaiting confirmation that the chilli is the world's hottest.

Mr Smith, owner of Tom Smith’s Plants, set up the business in memory of his father, who he said would be “thrilled” about the Chelsea Flower Show entry.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...t-ever-chilli-line-chelsea-flower-show-prize/

I don't think I'm going to be trying this anytime soon.
    :blew up:

2. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

He should rub his dick on it.

Mujahideen likes this.
  3. AgBar

AgBar Commodore Gold Chaser

Physicist
    Hotter than my Reapers and Vipers?!?

Sign me up! Where do I buy seeds?

michael59 likes this.
  4. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    I wana clone. I have tried them seeds and it is a hit and miss....kind of like apples, sure you get an apple tree but the fruit is just not the same as a clone one from the same tree. Some ppl call the sprouts. Yeah I wana get signed up, now where is that mailing list?

5. AgBar

Physicist
    Yeah, that's the trouble with the super-hot peppers: they're basically frankensteins as far as genetics go. You're right: hit-and-miss.

EDIT: That said, if your scalp isn't sweating then you're not eating!

lumpOgold and michael59 like this.
  6. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

Wow! You guys scare me!

Seriously, I do like it when my scalp, my whole head breaks out in a "pepper sweat". I like my food cooked, problem is, I hate it when my food tries to cook me.

I can get up to roasted habenaros and that's about all the tongue burn I can handle. It's the tongue burn that I really do not like. I love it when I get low tongue burn and when the pepper hits the gut it takes off like a nuclear furnace. But when it comes to high tongue burn I turn into "SuperWuss". Just can't do that stuff. Hats off to you guys who can but, not for me.

michael59 likes this.
  7. michael59

20 years logging
    do you roast with seeds or without? I roast without. At first I was trying to dry them out but roasted them by mistake, um-um-good. So to me this "Devils Breath" looks just like a habanero and I want it soooooobad.

8. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    Now now, with all the outsourcing over the years the US was bound to lose it's lead in the chilli stakes eventually.

Cigarlover and michael59 like this.
  9. AgBar

Physicist
    To me (we all react a bit differently to hot foods) the super-hot pepper hybrids don't have the immediate tongue burn that something like a Cayenne or a Hab has. They're more of a "creeps up on you" kind of hot, like you're half-way through the first taco by the time you realize what you've gotten yourself into.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Cigarlover and Alton like this.
  10. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

Sensory overload? Kind of like touching hot steel...there's that second or so for your nerves to recoup from the shock and send your brain the message to move your flesh off this thing right farkin' NOW!

11. lumpOgold

lumpOgold Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I tried a ghost pepper beer once, got through a couple ounces and for the next 2 days all I could taste and smell was ghost pepper. I can't imagine how hot these things are.

12. michael59

20 years logging
    Ghost Pepper Beer? One time when I was down around Weaverville they had this chili beer, so I got a sixpack. Wasn't bad and wasn't good so I left a couple of bottles lay around for months and then decided to drink them. Shit got hotter I tell ya, whoup hot it was.

lumpOgold likes this.
  13. Cigarlover

Cigarlover Gold Member Gold Chaser

I swear every year there's a hotter and hotter pepper. When will it end? One day there will be a pepper and as soon as you touch the tip of your tongue you will spontaneously combust. :)

michael59 likes this.
  14. michael59

20 years logging
    My fascination with peppers began years ago with the proverbial "Eat Your Pee's." And, I din't so the stubborn gota test it to make sure gots his mouth introduced to Tabasco. And, it was ok but the desired reaction was supposed to be a child tearing up and....and, ahahahah...and I swallowed that shit up and wiped my tongue on the table cloth. yeah I gave them the water works and my sister and brother got their show but all in all I LOVED IT. Sweet heat on eggs Tabasco is. I guess I am a freak, sure nuff.

edit: I do eat my pees now, in fact I clean my plate and never take more than I can finish. Stupid etiquette rules.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  15. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I like those green chili peppers that are roasted over fire and then skinned under cold water. They are mild, but very savory. I cannot find them canned anywhere, but are available fresh and dried. Those would make a great layer on top of a flattened, breaded chicken breast covered in melted cheese and enchilada sauce.

Cigarlover likes this.