1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

How’s Your Weather?

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by Bottom Feeder, Nov 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Same here, we went from freezing to thawing in one day. The weatherman is having a hard time keeping up with the changes !! We are now looking at mid 40's thru the first of the year.

BUT, ooh wait, in Orygun, we say, "If you don't like the weather, wait an hour, it will change".

And it usually does !

spinalcracker and Irons like this.
  2. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

The cold I can handle some what. What is really painful is looking at the 15 day forecast and seeing the lows in the negative numbers and not seeing any highs above freezing.

3. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    -33F here this morning and -37 at our oldest boys place 70 miles North.

hammerhead likes this.
  4. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

[​IMG]

5. Irons

[​IMG]

6. DodgebyDave

DodgebyDave Metal Messiah Midas Member

Aldi was empty of eggs, bread, milk, coffee and wine. your get french toast with your hangover!

7. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

Just f-ing ouch. You guys are tuff.

pitw likes this.
  8. pitw

Back in about '91 we were cutting bush with chainsaws making line for sceismic work. Driving out the one morning we were listening to the radio and the forecaster said it was -47C and my partner radio'd our surveyor asking at what temp it was tooooooooooo cold. The laughing answer was, "-48" as the plick was listening to the same radio channel. LOL It's a great incentive to actually move while outside.
    On this same work project we were barbecuing steaks for supper one evening at -47 when the fire trucks pulled into the motel. They had had 4 calls about smoke at the motel and after laughing their butts off at us country boys just cooking asked if we would let them know when we were going to cook from then on.

spinalcracker, GOLDBRIX and Lt Dan like this.
  9. DodgebyDave

DodgebyDave Metal Messiah Midas Member

10. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

Best camouflage ever! Just...don't move!

Moose_Burden.jpg

11. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    -5°F this AM.

12. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Got cold here the past week. Snowed about 2 inches on Friday. Really cold right now.......maybe +8.

Possible nor'easter later on in the week. Hoping to God it stays off the coast.

13. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    Cold caused the arch of a dragline bucket to break. The welders were working under a tarp with an industrial heater blowing into it. Last night was a good night to not be a welder. Its real hard to get comfy in a dozer though.

14. spinalcracker

spinalcracker On a mail train. Silver Miner Site Supporter

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    -18 with the wind eastern Colorado...
    Indoor day for chickens and humans.

GOLDBRIX and Lt Dan like this.
  15. Irons

6 degrees, freaking heat wave bitches!!! . . :2 thumbs up:

.[​IMG]

16. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    My chickens are afraid of snow, will not leave the coup unless I chase them out. I do not have a reason to harass my chickens. It's so cold, I even close their little door to try to keep it a bit warmer in the coup.

Supposed to warm to above freezing sometime next week. For the duration, I'll only be going out to do what has to be done. Chores is it, no projects until warmer weather. Gathering materials for ongoing project, bought an old motorhome, gotta whole pile of parts, etc., to turn that thing into a old old hippie mobile. Wife is excited about it, I'm like, more work... wanna do a bit of traveling before we get to old for it.

GOLDBRIX and spinalcracker like this.
  17. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Well feck , break out the voodo stick!....

Lt , same here , birds won't leave the coop , reminds me of my 3 kids , didn't wanna leave the coop until they found out they had wings and could fly...
    Same here on chores , no projects except day dreaming about the spring garden...
    I bought a heat mat and will be starting seedlings indoors....but that's it!..
    Lt , did you get a 28' Winnebago?..

winter-quotes-6.jpg

GOLDBRIX, Irons and Lt Dan like this.
  18. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I seriously don't know how you people get used to frigid temperatures. Envision these alternative scenarios:

1. Roll out of bed and have a cup of coffee before jumping in a t-shirt on a motorcycle and riding to the gym.
    2. Go for a morning swim in the pool, then have bacon and eggs with a toasted bagel outside while listening to music.
    3. Grab a baseball hat and sunscreen. Walk into the backyard and drop the boat in the water for a morning of fishing on the Atlantic.

20180101_093222.jpg

GOLDBRIX, Irons and TAEZZAR like this.
  19. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

quality control
    Seventy 6 here.

spinalcracker and Lt Dan like this.
  20. Irons

I noticed you left out the 8 months of 95-105 degrees with dripping steam bath humidity you have in inhabitable Florida.
    We have 3 months where it's cold and snowy. Florida has 3 months where you can actually be comfortable outside.

I got to spend some time in several states in the Southeast, an entire summer actually, and I have no idea how human people can live there.
    I like the hot dry Southwest, but the Southeast? Forget it. Worst most miserable climate I ever spent time in.

That said, I encourage everybody in Michigan to move to Florida and stay there!

EDIT: Glad I found this old article again. I fully agree with then General and later President Zachary Taylor:

“Florida is certainly the poorest country that ever two people quarreled for,” one Army surgeon wrote. “It was the most dreary and pandemonium-like region I ever visited, nothing but barren wastes.” An officer summarized it as “swampy, low, excessively hot, sickly and repulsive in all its features.” The future president Zachary Taylor, who commanded U.S. troops there for two years, groused that he wouldn’t trade a square foot of Michigan or Ohio for a square mile of Florida. The consensus among the soldiers was that the U.S. should just leave the area to the Indians and the mosquitoes; as one general put it, “I could not wish them all a worse place.” Or as one lieutenant complained: “Millions of money has been expended to gain this most barren, swampy, and good-for-nothing peninsula.”

Nice thing about this wonderful country is there is plenty of room for folks to live in the weather they like!

.:2 thumbs up:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  21. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Hey nick, I hear that the mosquitos in Florida, are as big as vultures !!
    I don't have a fly swatter that big.
    I'll stay in the cold. LOLOL
    [​IMG]

spinalcracker, Lt Dan and Irons like this.
  22. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    OFF TOPIC post here... No, not a winnie, it's a Champion older model built on a '89 Ford E350 chassis it's only about a foot longer than my full size F250 pickup and not much wider than a duelie, fact is, probably no wider. It will sleep 4 adults, if they all want to share the same bed. Ha! Only 86+K miles on the engine, but does need a tuneup and stuff like that. Major problem is the fact previous owner did not use it, only parked it and didn't even start it up or keep gas in it. Got it for $2K, drove it home on expired plates and parked it under a carport. Tooooo coooold out there for me to do much of the needed repairs. I did get the oil changed, started checking lights, interior repairs, etc. Gonna cost me a bit of change to get much further on it until we get back up over 30° F. Then I have contacted a local shop to do any motor repairs that take special tools or knowledge beyond my level of what I either can do or want to do myself. Oh, I do have proper plates on it now, just need to call the insurance before I take it to that shop as we'll not be using it until then. To talk more on that, I'd need to move it to the thread on that subject, but it's a topic I discuss on an RV forum, if I discuss it at all.

We're now up to 11°F.

spinalcracker and Irons like this.
  23. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Heat and AC off, my kind of weather, slow the meter down.

24. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Hey Nick , envision this...
    ...roll out of bed , grab your Pendleton wool housecoat and slip your feet into some lambskin house slippers....
    Put on the coffee , throw a couple logs in the woodstove and then hop back in the sack...
    Feck the gym , grab the old lady and engage in about an hours worth of debauchery..
    Drink coffee and vape several dabs of some Malawi gold cannabis while waiting on bacon and eggs...
    Grab your Stormy Kromer hat and Carhart insulated coveralls and slip on your Canadian sorrell boots and jump on the snowmobile and head to the lake for some serious ice fishing while smoking lots of joints and sipping some apricot brandy....
    And get rid of the sunscreen , bad chit , try coconut oil and beeswax...
    Fish on!....

0101180858.jpg

Bottom Feeder, Lt Dan and nickndfl like this.
  25. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

More like mid-June to 2nd week of September are really hot and humid. Air conditioning goes off before Thanksgiving and ceiling fans go off in January. March-May are absolutely beautiful.

In your post you are speaking of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale where it is about 8* warmer and more humid than the Treasure Coast which is directly north of West Palm Beach. I was in Miami last week and people were wearing jackets in 70* weather. St. Augustine is really nice and a bit colder since it is near Jacksonville.

Mosquitos can get bad right around sunset that's why God invented screen porches.

spinalcracker and Lt Dan like this.
  26. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Got down to 2 degrees F last night after the count downs in three time zones.
    Up to a balmy 10 F and a covering of snow with some grass peeking out. :mow lawn:

27. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Actually one of my favorite times to vacation down there if I must. Not inland, but on the coast, beach in morning and evening, lunch at noon, nap or hang out in the heat of the afternoon, then it's back to the beach, (west coast), to watch the sun go down. About a week of that is about the limit of my endurance with dealing with non-stop people, then it's back to the farm in Ohio.

spinalcracker likes this.
  28. Irons

I used to go back and forth with Unca Walt who swears Floriduh is some kinda paradise.
    I agree and encourage everybody in Michigan to go there and live forever!
    Matter of fact the only bad thing about Florida is way too many people come back here in the summer.

Lt Dan and spinalcracker like this.
  29. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

DAMN! No thanks. It's only 30° here now. And WOPPIE! no rain 'till Thursday. Then back to the same ole same ole.

BF

pitw likes this.
  30. Irons

31. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    The currents of the gods!...
    may they uncover the Wells Fargo strong box that was headed to Sioux St Marie to pay the troops who were stationed there to guard the border back in the 1800's but crashed on the shores somewhere north of Muskegon....
    The box was filled with $20 dollar gold pieces...

(I made that up.......but there is a true story of a Fargo box that was lost along the Big Sandy Creek after a stagecoach was robbed and the bandits were chased down the Big Sandy and all got away dept one bandit who was killed and his gold buried cause the other riders were overloaded already...)...

Lt Dan and Irons like this.
  32. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Big Sandy where ? Kentucky has a Big Sandy River that come in from West ( By GAWD) Virginia and dumps into the OHIO.

33. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

Today just a little extra snow and the winds. I can tolerate the snow. I can even tolerate below zero temps. But them winds will be the death of me! When they start it really is like someone turned on a fan and they will blow incessantly until spring. Wind chill temps in -teens and -twenties...brutal. Excellent day for a pot of chili and little time with Mr. Cuervo.

34. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    South of Hugo , between there and Wild Horse...
    That's all I am saying.

GOLDBRIX and Lt Dan like this.
  35. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Around here, the Big Sandy is a store that sells furniture and such!

If there's a creek or river around, chances are, I've panned some gold flakes out of it.

36. Garyw

Garyw The Military gave me Defoliant Exposure Silver Miner

tired and retired
    T-shirt weather on the Oregon Coast on Jan 1st 2018 sunny with full moon overnight flat ocean.

37. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    My daughter lives near Portland and its only in the 40's.....
    I wish it was 40 here...
    Currently 12 here a d feels like 1....

Lt Dan likes this.
  38. pitw

It was -34 here at midnight. A couple dumb youngfeks decided to go East of my place and of course got stuck. One had a broken leg so couldn't walk to get here and my wife said in no uncertain terms was I to go out with my stapled leg. Couldn't let the fekkers freeze so fired up the '85 Ford [not plugged in] and went and got them to the house. One of their fathers showed up with a tractor at 11:45 and got the truck out. Gosh it was fun to listen to him giving shit instead of me yelling at mine. Wife is still mad this morning but I feel useful.:2 thumbs up:

You fellows in the warm climate will never know the true value of a good fire. Every year we clean some trees in the yard and pile them in a certain spot to burn in the winter when it's much safer and the boys have had friends out to enjoy the fire and have a party. It's absolutely amazing how you can feel like toast on one side and a frozen brick on the other.

Temps are supposed to go up to close to 0F [that sure looks like the word of, EH] by Wednesday and I fully expect to see nekid people sun bathing.:meditation:

Irons, Lt Dan and spinalcracker like this.
  39. pitw

How would folks in Florida feel if their temp went up by 70 degrees in one day?

40. GOLDBRIX

"Loud and Cloud" :computer: