1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

How much television do you watch?

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Ishkabibble, Oct 26, 2012.

?

How much television do you watch? Count all time you can hear or see the tube.

1. I do not watch television

23 vote(s)
    27.4%
  2. Less than 10 hours a week

30 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. 11 to 20 hours a week

12 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. 21 to 30 hours a week

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. More than 30 hours a week

10 vote(s)
    11.9%
  6. I do not watch television

8 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble Gold Member Gold Chaser

Were you aware that people spend nearly as many hours watching TV as they would in a full time job? Apparently the average American spends 34 hours and 39 minutes willfully influenced by those programming the black box.

Link to the study: http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire...11/04/State-of-the-Media-2011-TV-Upfronts.pdf

When I was young, we were permitted a couple hours a week. I never really got too interested in the device, spending my time playing, thinking, and creating instead. Later in life, I spent years married to a woman who couldn't be without TV... every waking hour involved a program of some kind, even if all she could do was hear it from the next room. I never watched it, living in the other side of the house or outside seemed to work at the time. Since my divorce a decade ago, I signed up for TV a couple times, but became thoroughly disgusted with it after a week or two each time. I can't handle the propaganda, find the manipulation degrading, and notice that the content seems to drive a lower level of intellect. I'm not the norm in our society when it comes to TV. Are you?

Ragnarok, hoarder and <SLV> like this.
  2. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

Wife watches it, I don't.

No cable or anything though, I put up a good antenna and that's enough for her.

You're right about the shows nowdays though, from the little I see and hear they are stupid on steroids.

I did ask once "so what are you watching, police or hospital?" That got me a dirty look. :rolleyes:

DodgebyDave likes this.
  3. CiscoKid

CiscoKid They all look good through beer goggles... Gold Chaser

Engineer / Business owner
    I'm good for about an hour and a quarter a day. I like to let the local morning news run while I feed the animals and then I can rewind it and catch the weather. In the evening, me and the missus like to unwind with some NCIS, Burn Notice, or similar program. Since I capture them on TIVO, we can watch an hour long show in about 42 minutes. Every once in a while a decent movie will be on and we'll try to watch it but that happens less than once a month. Sure am glad I'm paying for 35 movie channels. :hmpf:

4. Alric

Alric Midas Member Midas Member

There are actually a lot of interesting shows on tv. If you got cable you might get something like 50-80 channels and only 3 good shows are on at any given time. So yea, most stuff on tv is crap, most channels have nothing on them but crap all day long but there are good shows out there, you just got to look.

5. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

Tons of crap on the tele, but I enjoy watching Wheeler Dealers, Antiques Roadshow, and the new show Mountain Men. I realize a lot of Mountain Men is probably scripted, but there are still bits and pieces of info in the show that city folks can glean to help with their preparedness.

I also try to catch a bit of NFL every weekend, but I don't always watch a game every single week.

CopperSilverGold likes this.
  6. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Not glued to tv but do enjoy Sunday football, Phillies baseball, American Greed: Scams, Bearing Sea Gold, Diving for Diamonds, Boardwalk Empire, Sons of Anarchy (getting a bit crazy this season), an occasional movie. If I'm home during the day I may have the news on in the background if I'm on the computer.

7. jogslvr

jogslvr Gold Miser Gold Chaser

New season of GOLD RUSH starts tonight! Hee Haa
    the trailers have hinted that they will hit the mother lode this year.

There is also another gold mining show airing soon from south america. Can't think of the name of it.

8. Oldmansmith

Oldmansmith Midas Member Midas Member

Environmentl Consultant
    More than 10 years clean. Went out to eat last night and "IT" was on at the bar. Even with the sound turned off Baby Old kept whipping her head around. As Frank Zappa said: "I may be vile and pernicious, but you can't look away. I make you think I'm delicious with the stuff that i say."

Why do you think they call it programming?

Aurumag, hammerhead, keef and 4 others like this.
  9. maxrider

maxrider Seeker Seeker

I don't watch any TV but I watch some shows on netflix and lots of youtube vids (instructional vids)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  10. platinumdude

platinumdude Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Art watches a lot of QVC. That is where he orders his Franklin Mint silver.

11. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

No option for less than 5 hours?

I usually watch at least part of a football game on Sunday (Packers) -- that's it. Although, about once a month my wife and I will watch a movie (on DVD -- not television programming).

My kids are only allowed to watch 30 minutes of television per day on weekdays (they watch "Wild Krats" on PBS).

I would NEVER pay to receive programming (cable or dish).

12. needler

needler Silver Member Silver Miner

I think its called gold rush jungle but I could be wrong. I'm waiting for it also, all the commericals hyped me up.

Anyway I watch 30 hours plus a week as I have satellite with like 200 channels. I've been out of work a really long time so it will get cut back once I'm back at work.

Video games and TV keep me to myself which keeps me from drama and trouble. They're pretty much my only friends.

jogslvr likes this.
  13. Argentium

Argentium Midas Member Midas Member

With my wife, it's the pig shows all the time. Disgusting at best.

14. Josey

Josey Silver Member Silver Miner

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  15. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

I think the 3 shows on are police, hospital and various idiots who can't sing.

16. Al K. Hall

Al K. Hall Silver Miner Seeker

Define "watching television."

We have a TV, but no over-air or cable sewage service. A DVD player is connected to it.

17. bb28

bb28 Silver Member Silver Miner

I lived for several years without a TV before moving in with my girlfriend who refused to get rid of hers. Four years ago, it stopped working. I told her I refused to buy another one or lug it up to our 2nd floor apartment and that was that. She still watches a few shows on Hulu but we have been mostly TV free.

bb

18. needler

That's because you're probably lugging around an old picture tube TV. A 27 inch picture tube TV weighs more then I do.

I have a 42 inch LCD 1080P vizio 60 hertz I can carry my TV with one hand and its a 42 inch screen.

19. bb28

bb28 Silver Member Silver Miner

I was making a point that if she wanted to buy a television that I would not stop her, but I refused to cooperate.

bb

Aurumag likes this.
  20. CopperSilverGold

CopperSilverGold Silver Member Silver Miner

Ok time for the real job - district manager for na
    Probably more than most during the fall. I am a huge college football fan and that consumes most of my Saturdays but there are the other Thursday and Friday night games I tend to watch. Otherwise, I do enjoy shows like Pawn Stars, American Pickers, American Restoration, and Modern Marvels type shows on The History Channel. I do enjoy travelling so I watch some shows on The Travel Channel that highlight destinations that I would like to visit. Otherwise I don't watch primetime tv, don't care for sitcoms, don't care much for reality tv. There are worse things I could be doing like wasting alot of money and killing brain cells by going out boozing a couple of night a week, but I choose not to do that.

21. hoarder

hoarder Banned

Re: How much TALMUDvision do you watch?

I quit 12 years ago. The more you watch, the dumber you get. That's what it's for.

Attached Files:

22. chris_is_here

chris_is_here Gold Member Gold Chaser

Won't watch it all now....when I was a little kid, I loved TV....Hogan's Heroes, Flipper, Adam 12, Get Smart, The Avengers, good wholesome stuff....now, it's all shows with men behaving like little faggots, hip-hop assholes, and the children in charge of the family.....deliberate role reversal by the Jewish overlords that run the media.

23. jaxxas

jaxxas Seeker Seeker

More than I should! The TV is on mostly from the time we get home to the time we go to bed. I like to tell myself it's background noise. Stations of choice are science, history, news, and then movies. I know a few names of serials, but I've never watched them but bits here and there. I missed the whole Seinfeld and Friends generation! Movies we actually watch assuming they hold our attention. Everything else I usually just catch bits and pieces of. When I sit down to chill for the evening, I will usually have something on the tube, a book or magazine in hand, a hold-em game online, and a guitar in hand on which to noodle. Which ever grabs my attention wins!

24. samwiii

samwiii Gold Member Gold Chaser

About an hour or two a night while sorting boxes of halves or dimes, browsing on GIM2, or some other such thing. NEVER just "watching" TV but use it as more of a background activity.

Now sorting a box of halves and watching Gold Rush; got 4 40% halves so far, so that's my Silver Rush.

newmisty likes this.
  25. JEKYLL-7

JEKYLL-7 Seeker Seeker

I'm clean for about 5 years now, but what you speak is wisdom. It has an unfailing magnetic quality to it, I find myself zoning out when in a public place with one.

26. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

I grew up watching a handful of hours a week until I graduated HS and gave up the filthy habit that had warped my mind and heart. I am still in recovery years later. Aside from the drivel that passes for entertainment, it's the commercials that really drive me insane. I cannot stand them and will not watch it under most circumstances aside from a couple shows a month on the food network or history channel while with family. Those shows are recorded and we FF through the commercials otherwise I wouldn't bother. I have far too many other important and creative things to be doing with my time than sitting idle in front of a glass box.

Aurumag likes this.
  27. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble Gold Member Gold Chaser

It is very hard not to, especially when there are no televisions at home. I hate what happens to my mind and your communication when I tune into TV. My mind is filled with the programming, preventing me from thinking for myself, and my attention is on the tube instead of the real world or others around me. I wonder how much more rich lives would be, if the (reported average) 34 hours a week were devoted to living instead of TV.

28. needler

I don't get how you guys think you're being programmed from watching TV.

Can you not watch TV and think for yourself at the same time?

I mean its either MSNBC or Fox news. Pick your poison.

29. newmisty

Lights, pictures, sounds....hypnotism 101.

http://rense.com/general63/traid.htm

...We've already shown that you are addicted to the tube, watching it between six and eight hour a day. But it is an addiction that {brainwashes} you. There are two kinds of brainwashing. The one that's called {hard} brainwashing is the type you're most familiar with. You've got a pretty good image of it from some of those old Korean war movies. They take some guy, an American patriot, drag him into a room, torture him, pump him full of drugs, and after a struggle, get him to renounce his country and his beliefs. He usually undergoes a personality change, signified by an ever-present smile and blank stare.

This brainwashing is called {hard} because its methods are overt. The controlled environment is obvious to the victim; so is the terror. The victim is overwhelmed by a seemingly omnipotent external force, and a feeling of intense isolation is induced. The victim's moral strength is sapped, and slowly he embraces his torturers. It is man's moral strength that informs and orders his power of reason; without it, the mind becomes little more than a recording machine waiting for imprints. No one is saying that you have been a victim of {hard} brainwashing. But you have been brainwashed, just as effectively as those people in the movies. The blank stare? Did you ever look at what you look like while watching television?

If the angle is right, you might catch your own reflection in the screen. Jaw slightly open, lips relaxed into a smile. The blank stare of a television zombie. This is {soft} brainwashing, even more effective because its victims go about their lives unaware of what is being done to them. Television, with its reach into nearly every American home, creates the basis for the mass brainwashing of citizens, like you.

It works on a principle of {tension and release}. Create tension, in a controlled environment, increasing the level of stress. Then provide a series of choices that provide release from the tension. As long as the victim believes that the choices presented are the {only} choices available, even if they are at first glance unacceptable, he will nevertheless, ultimately seek release by choosing one of these unacceptable choices. Under these circumstances, in a brainwashing, controlled environment, such choice-making is not a ``rational'' experience. It does not involve the use of man's creative mental powers; instead man is conditioned, like an animal, to respond to the tension, by seeking release.

The key to the success of this brainwashing process is the regulation of both the tension and the perceived choices. As long as both are controlled, then the range of outcomes is also controlled. The victim is induced to walk down one of several pathways acceptable for his controllers. The brainwashers call the tension-filled environment {social turbulence}. The last decades have been full of such {social turbulence}--economic collapse, regional wars, population disasters, ecological and biological catastrophes. {Social turbulence} creates crises in perceptions, causing people to lose their bearings.

Adrift and confused, people seek release from the tension, following paths that appear to lead to a simpler, less tension-filled life. There is no time in such a process for rational consideration of complicated problems. Television is the key vehicle for presenting both the tension and the choices. It brings you the images of the tension, and serves up simple answers. Television, in its world of semi-reality, of illusion, of escape from reality, {is itself the single most important release from our tension-wracked existence.} Eight hours a day, every day, through its programming, you are being programmed...

If you doubt me, think about one important choice that you have made recently that was not in some way influenced by something that you have seen on television. I bet you can't think of one. That's how controlled you are. Who's Doing It But don't take my word for it. Ten years ago we spoke to a man from a think tank called the Futures Group in Connecticut. Hal Becker had spent more than 20 years of his life manipulating the minds of the leaders of our society. Listen to what he said: {``I know the secret of making the average American believe anything I want him to. Just let me control television.

Americans are wired into their television sets. Over the last 30 years, they have come to look at their television sets and the images on the screen as reality. You put something on television and it becomes reality. If the world outside the television set contradicts the images, people start changing the world to make it more like the images and sounds of their television.

Because its influence is so great, so pervasive, it has become part of our lives. You lose your sense of what is being done to you, but your mind is being shaped and moulded.''} ``Your mind is being shaped and moulded.'' If that doesn't sound like brainwashing, I don't know what is. Becker speaks with the elan of a network of brainwashers who have been programming your lives, especially since the advent of television as a ``mass medium'' in the late 1940s and early 1950s...

Aurumag, Irons and Ishkabibble like this.
  30. Brio

Brio Midas Member Midas Member

Never. I can turn the thing off but when my hubby was in camp and asked me to tape a certain show I couldn't turn it on. If I turned the sat on, the teevee went off and if I turned on the teevee the sat went off. After a half hour of trying I sat on the floor in front of the damn thing, squeezing the remotes, every one I could find, and cross-eyed with frustration. Never did get the programme recorded. Not once.

31. hoarder

hoarder Banned

Like a moth to a candle.

Attached Files:

32. honu5050

honu5050 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

nunya
    very little time spent watching .. very little . when you see I love Lucy broadcast in sh!t holes worldwide that IMHO is a indicator or omen somethings really not right. the Internet is the new town crier. just like the t.v. 'only now TPTB scan your mind as well as program you ! IF ya have to use these things just keep in mind its "your" mind they are after ! man its come a long way sense Guttinburgs printing press. have fun but stay aware. many a trick....very short on the treat & your paying for access yet getting pelted with the monthly bill. hummmm

searcher likes this.
  33. honu5050

nunya
    (IF) a person knows and understands the programing aspect ..BS.. in any form of media....Including say a con attempting to sell you a fake rolex and you can pick up on their con ....then its safe to listen / read /watch just about anything.. if ones mind is not sharp.... much has all been absorbed by people whom become suckers. propaganda lies cons..line up these ,in my lingo "citizens" for a score that can range anywere from sh!t ta shinola . just like this so called political race bunk.... IF one believes them they've been programed and need help.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    Irons and searcher like this.
  34. Malus

Malus Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

irrelevant
    I catch a bit when I'm eating (can't really do much else). When I do, the wife and I make a game of trying to guess what commercials they're gonna program you with. I usually go, car/sh*t food/insurance/car/sh*t food (with the odd pharma one depending on the station) and am generally correct most of the time. Try it its fun and make some wagers to go with it..........

hoarder and honu5050 like this.
  35. newmisty

Well the real problem is that the subconscious mind doesn't have a filter and absorbs everything. That's why repetition is so important to advertising.

TV's output gets recorded by the subconscious mind and basically stays there forever. That's how hypnosis is able to allow people to retrieve information that never entered their conscious mind. It's stashed away in the subconscious mind. TV Watching is dumping loads and loads of information, much of it morally and spiritually corrupting, into the minds of young and old and has been hastening the decay of moral values around the world by lowering the standards by which humans live.

Here is a good video turning the tables on advertisers:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
    Aurumag and Malus like this.
  36. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

To be fair there IS a lot of "programming" on TV, but it's certainly subtle. Outside of Fox news you will rarely see anything negative politically about Democrats. The Fast & Furious scandal was barely covered on the alphabet networks, yet we know just about everything there is to know regarding Bain capital. Even when you turn off the networks and watch cable, John Stewart and Colbert do their part with their "comedy" shows that are overt propaganda for the liberal agenda. He77, last night Pelosi was on the Daily Show and she came on right after Stewart was ripping Paul Ryan for saying it isn't the job of the government to pick winners and losers. If that's not programming, you tell me what is?

The real problem with "network" tv IMO is the role it plays in the feminization of the American male. 9 out of 10 men are portrayed as either gay males or knuckle dragging, beer swigging, football watching neanderthals. Think about how men are portrayed in most sitcoms and commercials and tell me that's not the case. The days of showing an average looking strong leader of a man are gone. Reality shows are even worse. They either show men with IQ's just barely above a monkey (Jersey Shore comes to mind) who are obsessed with porking whatever moves, or they show an effeminent man who is dominated by his wife and children (like that shell of a man Bruce Jenner from the Kardashians).

Just to be clear I watch TV as well Needler, but there is a reason why most here view it as programming... because it is!

samwiii, Irons, honu5050 and 2 others like this.
  37. honu5050

nunya
    prior to but certainly after the 9/11 affair propagnda / behavirol modifaction became rampant .... its not always what is said or showen its what is not !

38. newmisty

Lol, sounds a lot like rock paper scissors.

39. Malus

Malus Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

irrelevant
    Its all just a game. I specially like the pharma ones. Can't get a boner, try this _______, might cause blindness, kidney failure, cancer, thyroid issues, skin rash, herpes, etc., but hey, at least you can have a boner............. what a circus we live in.

newmisty likes this.
  40. DodgebyDave

DodgebyDave Metal Messiah Midas Member

there isn't much that is on TV that isn't already on the internet.

WhyKnow likes this.