1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

How one man saved $1 million in five years — and you can too

Discussion in 'Real Estate & Other Investments' started by Scorpio, May 15, 2017.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

How one man saved $1 million in five years — and you can too

GOBankingRates
    Cameron Huddleston 4 hrs ago

[​IMG]
    © Zwiebackesser / Shutterstock.com

If you're graduating from college this spring, saving for retirement probably isn't high on your list of priorities. In fact, GOBankingRates found that saving for retirement isn't a priority for 40 percent of all Americans. It certainly wasn't at the top of Grant Sabatier's to-do list when he graduated from the University of Chicago in 2007.

As a philosophy major entering the job market on the brink of the Great Recession, Sabatier was lucky to find work at a call center for an analytics company. The pay was pretty good, too: $42,000 a year. It was certainly enough to cover living expenses and leave him with some cash to stash in a retirement account. But Sabatier didn't save a dime.

"I spent it all," he said. "I had an opportunity to save when I was 22, but I didn't. I tried to live the life."

But he got a wake-up call two years later. After bouncing from job to job, Sabatier found himself living at home with his parents with just $2.26 in his bank account. He decided to make saving a priority.

Five years later, Sabatier had $1 million in the bank. Today, at age 32, he has about $1.35 million. Here's how he did it, and how you too can save a million dollars for retirement.

Have a Plan

Whether you want to retire early or retire with riches, you need to have a plan in place. You can't just set aside an arbitrary amount in a retirement account each month and hope it works out.

When he was 24 and living at home, Sabatier decided he wanted to reach financial independence by age 30 — a tall order for someone with just a couple bucks in the bank. To figure out how much he would need to save, he used a retirement calculator.

Sabatier estimated his annual expenses would be $50,000 and found he would need to save 25 times that sum — $1.25 million — in order to live off the interest in retirement. He then calculated that he would need to save $50 a day and earn 5 percent annually to have $1.25 million in 30 years.

However, Sabatier didn't want to wait that long; he wanted to save the amount he needed in just five years.

"When you get clear on your numbers, what it costs to have the lifestyle you want, you really are in control," he said.

[​IMG]
    © Freedomz / Shutterstock.com
    Take Advantage of Compounding Interest

In his quest to become a millennial millionaire, Sabatier recognized the power of compound interest early on.

"Every blog, every book on personal finance has this requisite compounding interest chapter," he said. And for good reason. The interest paid on the amount you invest plus the interest that accrues, compound interest enables your wealth to grow faster.

Sabatier said he realized: "Hey, I'm 24; I need to start saving as much as possible now to take advantage of compound interest. I knew I had time on my side." The longer he waited to get started, the more he would have to set aside each day to reach his savings goal.

For example, if you are 25 and want to save $1 million for retirement by age 65, you need to set aside $158.13 per month and earn 10 percent annually, the average stock market return over the long term. If you wait until 35 to start savings, you will need to save $442.38 per month with a 10 percent return to have $1 million by age 65.

Sabatier said that every dollar he invested when he started saving in 2010 is worth $3.25 today. With compounding, your money makes money — and helps you reach your goal sooner.

Find Ways to Make More Money to Invest
    You probably don't need a calculator or spreadsheet to realize that, even with compound interest, you'd have to invest a lot of money to amass $1 million in just five years. Sabatier said he knew he had to make as much money as possible to invest it.

The first step was finding a job that paid well and offered the potential for growth. Sabatier saw that digital marketing was a growing field, so he spent a month watching free YouTube tutorials on the subject. He used the knowledge he gained to land a job with a digital marketing agency in Chicago, earning $50,000 a year.

Sabatier took advantage of a 401k plan at work and contributed the maximum. (The current maximum amount workers can contribute to a 401k annually is $18,000.) Then he found a way to make more money on the side by creating websites for law firms. While he started off charging $500 per website, within a few months he was billing $50,000 per site. He put 100 percent of his side hustle income into an individual retirement account.

Sabatier now runs his own businesses and a blog, MillennialMoney.com. And he saves 60 percent to 70 percent of his income. He encourages young adults who want to increase their savings to find ways to make more money. Start by asking for a raise from your employer. Then get a side hustle — ideally one that offers more than just the chance to earn extra money.

"You want to build skills instead of just having a job," he said. Then you can turn those skills into even bigger money-making opportunities, like he did.

[​IMG]
    © iStock.com / Erikona

Make Saving a Daily Goal

Although Sabatier calculated that it would take 30 years for him to amass $1.25 million by saving $50 a day — and he wanted to reach that goal in five years — he didn't start out saving that much. He began by saving just $5 a day in a ROTH IRA with Vanguard by downloading the investment firm's app and transferring money with a click on his phone. (This was in addition to what he was stashing in the 401k).

It's okay to start small, Sabatier said, but you should make it a daily habit. "If you save daily for 30 days, it becomes a habit," he said. "It becomes a part of you." And if you check your account daily, you'll see how it's growing — which will encourage you to save more.

Sabatier recommends putting your money into a tax-advantaged account, such as a Roth IRA first. Once you max it out, open a brokerage account.

In case you're wondering how much you'd have to save daily with a 5 percent annual return to have $1 million in five years, brace yourself: It's $14,704.57.

[​IMG]
    © Andrey Arkusha / Shutterstock.com

Increase Your Savings Rate
    Once you get in the habit of saving, find ways to increase the daily amount you're setting aside. As he earned more, Sabatier was able to increase his daily savings to $50, $100, $5,000 even $20,000 some days. That's unrealistic for most people. But he said you can save more than $5 a day "if you dig in and look for it. Cancel the Netflix subscription and invest that $15. It will be significantly more valuable."

Even if you can only afford to contribute to a retirement plan at work, you still should increase the amount you set aside each year.

"If you save 1 percent more of your income each year, you'll retire two to five years sooner," Sabatier said.

Keep Investments Simple
    If you want your money to grow at a healthy rate, you have to invest it in something other than a savings account. While you do have to take some risk by investing in the stock market, you shouldn't let the idea overwhelm you or make you afraid, Sabatier said.

He took a simple approach and invested about 80 percent of his money in index funds. An index fund tracks the performance of a market index, such as the S&P 500 index. He has also bought shares of individual stocks and invested in real estate. But, by and large, Sabatier sticks to a simple investing strategy.

Keep Costs Low to Boost Savings
    Keeping expenses low helped Sabatier save such a large amount of money quickly. For example, he lived with three roommates when he had the digital marketing job that paid $50,000. Splitting the rent four ways helped him keep housing costs down.

There are plenty of ways to cut monthly expenses — from slashing food spending to cutting the cable cord. You also can force yourself to reduce your spending by paying yourself first. If you spend first and then save, you'll always find things to buy and won't have any money left to save, Sabatier said.

Aim to save at least 20 percent of your income, he said. "If you pay yourself first and invest it, the rest you can blow on what you want," he said.

[​IMG]
    © kanchana_koyjai / Shutterstock.com
    View Saving as an Opportunity, Not a Sacrifice

Saving $1 million by age 30 wasn't easy for Sabatier. He worked more than 90 hours a week. And he put more than half of his income into retirement and brokerage accounts. But he viewed saving as an opportunity, not a sacrifice.

"At the end of the day, when you have more money, you have more opportunities," he said. That doesn't mean you have to save $1 million by age 30, as Sabatier did. "You don't have to be a millionaire. Being a millionaire shouldn't be the goal. It should be living the life you want to live."

Knowing your priorities and what you want in life will help you focus on what you'll achieve by saving rather than what you might have to give up. Now that he's reached his savings goal, Sabatier can spend more time focusing on others, doing what he enjoys and even writing a book to share what he's learned.

"If you really focus on it and are intentional and come up with a strategy and every day execute on that strategy, a lot of things can happen," he said.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/savi...years-—-and-you-can-too/ar-BBB9bTY?li=BBnbfcN

Son of Gloin likes this.
  2. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

Blah. Yeah, right...

The only way to get that kind of return is to accept a lot of risk. Right now, the stock market is a huge risk, in my opinion.

Son of Gloin and gringott like this.
  3. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Having a plan and and the discipline to stick to it can change your life.

Idk about trusting the stock market like that with your life savings lol.

searcher, Howdy, Son of Gloin and 2 others like this.
  4. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    More pimping for Wall Street.

Howdy likes this.
  5. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

His ex-wife will get most of it.

6. gliddenralston

gliddenralston Gold Member Gold Chaser

Fake news

gringott likes this.
  7. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    To go along with the fiat money...

gringott likes this.
  8. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    50,000 per website creation...
    After a few months....
    Thats where I stopped reading.
    Just saying.

9. Usc96

Usc96 Gold Member Gold Chaser

Definitely fake news!!!

"In case you're wondering how much you'd have to save daily with a 5 percent annual return to have $1 million in five years, brace yourself: It's $14,704.57."

"Once you get in the habit of saving, find ways to increase the daily amount you're setting aside. As he earned more, Sabatier was able to increase his daily savings to $50, $100, $5,000 even $20,000 some days."

Hystckndle likes this.
  10. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

And when TPTB nationalize all retirement accounts or initialize a bail in, hes broke again.

gringott and Someone_else like this.
  11. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

I wonder if they make up these stories, invent these people just to entertain us or to promote the stock market.

Someone_else likes this.
  12. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Nobody's retiring off just a closet full of gold. You must have income producing assets--stocks, bonds, rental property, businesses, etc. and you'll never get enough funds to buy those items, much less any PMs for insurance, unless you have a plan to save. I give the article 2 thumbs up.

Someone_else likes this.
  13. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    $14,700 saved daily is 5.36million after the first year........FAIL

With investing, time is definitely your friend, but basic math skills are as, if not more important.

Mujahideen likes this.
  14. platinumdude

platinumdude Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

If you actually had a closet full of gold, you would be able to retire, easily. That is multi multi millions right there.

gringott and Howdy like this.
  15. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

I could be wrong, but when he typed "gold", I'm thinkin' he meant silver. lol

gringott likes this.
  16. Usury

I caught that too Rusty. I wonder if they meant per month?

In any case, it doesn't lessen the validity of the overall point of the article IMO.

17. Usury

Ok closet full of gold then....how're you gonna get it? Same principles still apply...control spending and increasing earnings. Have a written plan and execute it regularly. Many here do that in a way with PMs...buying $500 or $1000 per month every month without fail. That's a way to save also.

The article IMO is showing the power of saving...rather than just spending whatever you get. I regularly see loan applicants earning well over six figures without a pot to piss in. It's a universal truth that we'll spend whatever we have unless we have a plan to save and a longer term goal for that savings (like early retirement for example).

18. CrimsonGuardJay

CrimsonGuardJay Silver Member Silver Miner

Advantage of a closet full of gold... numerous.

19. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

Me too. At that point the story became a cock and bull charade. I suppose if you can make 50 grand per website you don't need to worry about compound interest.

I did the same thing selling old crap out my garage. I usually take in about 75 grand on a Saturday. Well, I would if I can find people to shell out that kind of money. But at least I've got a plan.

20. anywoundedduck

anywoundedduck Gold Member Gold Chaser

Data Architect, Systems Engineer, Business Owner,
    We are looking at this all wrong.
    The banks are charging 18 to 26+% on money they lend, which is 10 dollars to lend for each dollar deposited.
    Compound interest brings in Millions daily and yet, how many times have we bailed these bastards out. Where the fuck is the money? Makes no sense. Greed at the empth degree.

Just one of hundreds of ways.the establishment screws us. I shouldn't speak so frankly, given the current state of affairs.

The one percenters would have us believe we owe China, and therefore must pay them to avoid the yellow hoards. The facts are is the One-percenters , be they Chinese, English, German, Aussie are the ones that hold this debt, but it is a false debt. A debt that is a. Ponzi scheme in every sense of the word. A debt that can never be paid, as designed.
    A debt that enslaved us all.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    gringott likes this.
  21. CrimsonGuardJay

To make a million dollars in 5 years, you have to average an income of Well over $200,000 a year... and that alone indicates this whole story is just stupid as shit.

Mujahideen and Someone_else like this.
  22. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

Only four websites a year. Its a breeze!

gringott likes this.
  23. CrimsonGuardJay

He doesnt mention how hard it is to close a deal wherein someone pays you $50,000 to develop a website.

24. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Where do they get all these crack head writers, 90% of the nation barely gets by let alone save 1m, these are complete fkin morons writing this dribble.

gringott likes this.
  25. Usury

The majority of the nation are lazy workers and out of control spenders. Most of those "barely getting by" fall into this category IMO. The article points out if you keep your nose down, work multiple sources of income, don't borrow and and don't waste money on BS like most people, you can save massive amounts in relatively short time periods. This is very true...I've witnessed it countless times in my life. If folks don't increase their earnings and, more importantly, manage their spending then they'll always be "just getting by" even if they earn $100k, $200k or even more. I've seen it countless times in my career. On the other hand folks that take and extreme frugal approach can amass a fortune over time on $50k/year.

Howdy and Someone_else like this.
  26. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
    It only took a few months to go from $500 to $50000. How hard can it be!!

27. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
    In theory it sounds like a plan. But all those extra side hustles depend on a velocity of money moving through the system. If everyone worked and worked to save and save, soon their is no work to be done as spending needed to justify the work ain't their. Great plan when you are doing it any no one else is.