1. Have a great Memorial Weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gone Fishin'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/27/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- Silver $17.32-- Oil $49.80-- USD $97.36 --
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

How to discern cleaned numi gold coins

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by shipwreck, Aug 21, 2016.

1. shipwreck

shipwreck Silver Member Silver Miner

Computer Systems
    I have many gold numismatic coins, but when I took some to a dealer, I was told several had been "cleaned" and that they were worth 10% below melt. Heard that from more than one dealer. Without going to the expense of submitting my coins to a grading service, is there a way of finding out if a coin has been cleaned? They were not purchased that far above melt, so getting paid close to melt is what i am concerned about.

2. edsl48

edsl48 Silver Member Silver Miner

Buy only at melt or below and you will not have these issues...jut sayin

3. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

Experience is required to know if a coin has been cleaned. It typically also requires a good source of light, some moderate magnification, and the telltale patches of parallel scratches/lines that indicate cleaning.

It should not be difficult to get better than 10% below spot for your gold coins. This is a low ball figure that allows a dealer to instantly make a decent profit when he turns around and dumps them for near spot to another dealer.

4. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Not sure how many pieces you are talking about but I am pretty sure that I would take all you have at melt if you were standing right in front of me with it. It shouldn't be too hard to find someone locally that would do the same. There is a local dealer that calls me before sending their culls off to the furnace. Cash and goods on the scale on the barrel head. We both win. I buy at melt and he saves the shipping, risk and slippage.

5. Starter

Starter Silver Member Silver Miner

Very true...once you get rid of the middle man, the little guy wins.

Just need to make it happen, though...

6. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Cleaning does not make them worth less than melt, they are dishonest dealers, while it lessens the numis value they are still worth at least melt.

ErrosionOfAccord likes this.