1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

How Was Easter Service This Morning

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by Bottom Feeder, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Silver Miner Site Supporter

I know many of you attended Easter service today so could you share with us some of the insight, inspiring messages, or sermon highlights that you remember?

Disclosure – I am Christian but have not been to Easter service in years.

BF

FoundingFathers and Lt Dan like this.
  2. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    Fine, I never miss unless on vacation, I rather enjoyed it, the nap was much needed too. :D I woke up when my tablet hit the floor, somewhere between the end of the first point and the conclusion - but I remember his text was from 1 Cor 15:14.

Oh, what did the preacher talk about?

mayhem and andial like this.
  3. ToBeSelfEvident

ToBeSelfEvident Gold Member Gold Chaser

I spent the day doing my taxes, so that will be my tithe. Managed to avoid the Obamacare penalty because we were at 59% of the poverty level, LOL. Life is good.

gringott likes this.
  4. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I went to the gym and watched some war movies on Netflix. Wifey is out of town visiting her kids, so I had the whole house to myself.

gringott, mayhem and andial like this.
  5. OhWell

OhWell Silver Member Silver Miner

The historicity of Jesus, His Crucifixion, His resurrection and how these facts differ from all other religions in history.

With the all important question, all of us will have to answer eventually. What did you do with this information?

Joshua 24:15

goldfanbrad, Lt Dan and Son of Gloin like this.
  6. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I watched the Ten Commandments last night and some of History Channel's The Bible today. God is everywhere, so he must have been sitting next to me riding the couch.

spinalcracker likes this.
  7. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    No thanks!

stoli likes this.
  8. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    It's a catholic tradition isn't it? I don't remember reading anything about it in Acts; Corinthians or the other letters? I went for a bike ride and let the day pass unnoticed, and I certainly didn't buy any over priced chocolate eggs.

9. mayhem

mayhem Другая перспектива Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    Well it is a tradition passed down by the RCC. Actually Jesus arose Sat night at sundown (the start of the new day). Amazing how many folks do not understand the Jewish calendar and how days are measured.
    While showing reverence for the event, we are not saved by our works. We should be celebrating his Resurrection every day, not just Easter Sunday.

Lt Dan and nickndfl like this.
  10. spinalcracker

spinalcracker On a mail train. Silver Miner Site Supporter

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    We up potted a bunch of jalapeño pepper plants , listened to music , and looked at flowers....

Don't go to church on Sunday
    Don't get on my knees to pray
    Don't memorize the books of the Bible
    I got my own special way
    But I know Jesus loves me
    Maybe just a little bit more
    I fall on my knees every Sunday
    At Zerelda Lee's candy store
    Well it's got to be a chocolate Jesus
    Make me feel good inside
    Got to be a chocolate Jesus
    Keep me satisfied
    Well I don't want no Abba Zaba
    Don't want no Almond Joy
    There ain't nothing better
    Suitable for this boy
    Well it's the only thing
    That can pick me up
    Better than a cup of gold
    See only a chocolate Jesus
    Can satisfy my soul
    [Solo]
    When the weather gets rough
    And it's whiskey in the shade
    It's best to wrap your savior
    Up in cellophane
    He flows like the big muddy
    But that's ok
    Pour him over ice cream
    For a nice parfait
    Good enough for me
    Good enough for me
    Make me feel good inside
    Keep me satisfied

^updated^ likes this.
  11. brosil

brosil Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

The wife and I were less than healthy this morning so we didn't make it.

gringott likes this.
  12. bb28

bb28 Silver Member Silver Miner

My takeaway was that the Buddhists distributed Buddha's bones among themselves to worship. The Muslims make a pilgrimidge to worship Mohammed's bones. Our God is greater in that his death as a humble man brought the possibility of salvation for mankind and the God we worship is living and that through him we will also defeat death. Our God has an empty tomb and a legacy of miracles.

Bb

Rollie Free likes this.
  13. arminius

arminius Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

420 healer
    right...

the fallacy of all time...

14. tom baxter

Retired now
    We should, but most of us, me included, are too caught up in the things of the flesh to be. That doesn't mean I should celebrate some corporate junk food fest wrapped with a religious title though hey. I do honor the sabbath though and though many in my prior field of work would go out on a Sunday and make money I would not. It's just common sense not to work on Sunday anyhow.

mayhem and gringott like this.
  15. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Couple of grandkids came over Saturday for a sleep over, so my wife colored boiled eggs with them. We didn't go to church, or talk about Jesus to the kids, they are 2 & 4, we did discuss how it was celebrated in my house and my wife's home in Poland with the daughter in law on Sunday morning. All of us are RC, but I guess relapsed, last few years since the youngest left home we only go for some occasion like baptism etc. I still like the fairy tales about the Easter Bunny. Oddly, Saturday I spotted a big bunny squeezing under the fence to the neighbor's yard, our German Shepard was nearby and oblivious, which was really odd, as a few weeks ago he woke up the area from the death screams of the bunny he caught. I guess it was the Easter bunny this time doing a recon.

16. tom baxter

Retired now
    That's odd gringott lol. Today I stopped at a hot bread and a guy marketing stickers had a big sticker of an easter bunny leveling a pump action shotgun on the side window of his car. I thought that was cute.

Just to take it to the next level...

I was brought up in a traditional church culture, went away, came back in my early 20's after a true spiritual experience and stayed for a decade. I went to all brands too, Presbyterian, Pentecostal (many types) Baptist, you name it, even JW briefly and the Brethren. At each one I saw the same thing, men in nice suits going through the motions while raking in money to fund a middle-class lifestyle. Well Good for them, we all want that, but I was seeking a true home, somewhere I could practice the faith I read about in the bible. I never found it and I stopped looking on the morning I arrived at a big Pentecostal between services and saw they were playing the Lion king to keep people occupied. They had a coffee shop there too, very common in penticostals. The pastor started his spiel by telling how the previous week a member of the church had "Blessed" him by buying him a coffee at the shop outside, and encouraged us all to "Bless" someone with a coffee too. $$$$$ for the church, for his pocket. It made me sick, I've never been back to one and never will.

gringott likes this.
  17. mayhem

Retired
    Kinda of my experience to the letter. People say to me 'come join me at my church, it's different'. My first question is, is it a 501 3c? If so it's a government church. Second question, does your pastor and elders have full time jobs outside the church?
    That just about ends the conversation about their church being different. The last group that I was involved with back in 87 met in a place above a hardware store. The pastor was my boss and we did roofing and siding together. There were about 30 people involved and anyone could give a sermon if they wished. What money's that were collected went to members who had crisis situations pop up, or to a local food bank that fed the homeless no matter what they believed.
    One does not need a building, or even a leader for that matter. Some people accuse Paul of hijacking the congregations when he wrote his letters. But Paul had the traditional Hebrew training and structure in him. No where in the Gospels does Jesus tell his followers to build buildings, and sell 'trinkets for God'. Personally I believe you to be on he right path (if you still believe Jesus is Lord in your heart), let the naysayers be darned.

hemster

18. tom baxter

Retired now
    Oh yes, I still believe Jesus is my savior, and have no guilt about not going. I did for a while but that was just church programming I had been infected with, "forsake not the fellowshipping together" kind of guilt trip. And you are quite right about the tax link. As soon as a church signs up for tax breaks they essentially are married to the secular government.

Just before I married I found a small church run by a former electritian, about 30 members too, very alive it was, I'm sure the Spirit was happy to reside among us. He married us and we took a honeymoon and came back 4 weeks later to find the little church had closed up, basically because he couldn't afford to live off it's income and went back to work. Like you say, you don't need a full time preacher and if you have one he should be content to live a life of austerity like Paul did.

There is a new trend here lol, a christian woman I know told me she has been called (asked by her pastors, a husband and wife racket) to give sermons regularly. She is ecstatic! Oh the prestige lol. What she doesn't realize is that she is just being used by these people to do their work while they laze around on the gold coast collecting a fat check from the church takings. I didn't tell her, didn't burst her bubble. She's far too deep in the religion to ever reach now.

The trouble all starts with bible college where young men go to have the Spirit of God quenched and the teachings of theologians implanted. They come out as copies of each other and then move into the corporate church structure. If they are charismatic enough they can build their own big church, usually by poaching from other churches.

My personal experience discovering the truth about Jesus, his death and resurrection by my self, having had months reading the bible daily without the interpretations of churches coloring it, allowed me to be objective and able to see through the BULLSHIT the churches promote to ensure their income streams.

19. mayhem

Retired
    That sum'sit up very nicely!
    We have nothing, yet we have everything.

20. tom baxter

Retired now
    Indeed. I'll die one day soon as I measure time. A few decades, perhaps sooner? Then I go to be with the Lord and the wars will continue, as will the oppression of the earthly powers so what should I care what happens here on Earth. I really have no stake in this world, don't really consider myself an Australian either though I'm 3rd generation and Irish English before that. The whole Nationalistic thing is just like the whole church thing, they want me to work and pay taxes, suit up and go to war. Not a chance in hell of the latter. they can fight their own wars, their the spawn of the devil.