1. Stocks soar, Metals get hammered
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Monday morning takedown. Gold is down 12.8 to 1243 while Silver is down 17 to 1647. Crude is up 20 to 4321. The USD is up 15 to 97.09
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

How would this grade?

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by Chester-Copperpot, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Never had anything graded, but come across some old coins that I'm thinking about submitting. I have no clue how to grade a coin and just wondered if it's worth the effort. This 1897 dime if graded high enough would probably increase in value. Any ideas on this coin?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

I would say XF to AU but it looks cleaned which kills the value, hard to tell without it being in hand. The scratch is rather obvious.

GOLDZILLA and oldgaranddad like this.
  3. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I'd say cleaned too. That dimpling behind the head is definitely not die erosion.

GOLDZILLA likes this.
  4. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

It was polished at one time and the scratch on the obverse also detracts from the value. I would pass on it unless it was really cheap. Possibly, but incorrectly the seller thinks the polishing enhancement also adds to value. Good for a piece of jewelry.

5. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

According to coin world the xf40 value is around 35 on the street, its not something I would pay to slab.

6. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Appreciate the answers guys. Picked it up in a lot, didn't pay very much for the lot. Had a handful of coins that I pondered sending to be graded, this being one. I'll just list it for auction as is.