1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Hurricane Irma Watch.

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by mayhem, Sep 3, 2017.

1. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

It's getting jiggy here now.

2. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    10 to 15 ft storm surge for the west coast.

Ft. Myers is getting hammered.

Anyone know how far north it is?

3. nickndfl

I called it on Tuesday. The picture is Friday night shrimp fajitas to clean the fridge out. 21371103_10212011548742815_2447490574365468864_n.jpg 21369503_10212014474815965_4378117451078701816_n.jpg

Krag, Someone_else, Goldhedge and 2 others like this.
  4. Goldhedge

Retired
    FYI 10 to 15 ft storm surge

[​IMG]
    The very low topography of southern Florida is evident in this color-coded shaded relief map generated with data from the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission. The image on the left is a standard view, with the green colors indicating low elevations, rising through yellow and tan, to white at the highest elevations. In this exaggerated view even those highest elevations are only about 60 meters (197 feet) above sea level.

For the view on the right, elevations below 5 meters (16 feet) above sea level have been colored blue, and lighter blue indicates elevations below 10 meters (33 feet). This is a dramatic demonstration of how Florida’s low topography, especially along the coastline, make it especially vulnerable to flooding associated with storm surges. Planners can use data like these to predict which areas are in the most danger and help develop mitigation plans in the event of particular flood events.

Elevation data used in this image were acquired by the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission aboard the Space Shuttle Endeavour, launched on Feb. 11, 2000. SRTM used the same radar instrument that comprised the Spaceborne Imaging Radar-C/X-Band Synthetic Aperture Radar (SIR-C/X-SAR) that flew twice on the Space Shuttle Endeavour in 1994. SRTM was designed to collect 3-D measurements of the Earth’s surface. To collect the 3-D data, engineers added a 60-meter (approximately 200-foot) mast, installed additional C-band and X-band antennas, and improved tracking and navigation devices.

• Orientation: North toward the top, Mercator projection
    • Size: 397 by 445 kilometers (246 by 276 miles)
    • Image Data: shaded and colored SRTM elevation model
    • Date Acquired: February 2000

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=4818

5. RealJack

RealJack Gold Member Gold Chaser

Hope the Everglades don't get any 30 ft. saltwater crocodiles washed in from Africa with this storm.
    It's already getting pretty windy way up here by the Ocala forest.

Cigarlover likes this.
  6. EricTheCat

EricTheCat Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

The Naples station stopped reporting wind after 76 MPH gusts. Seeing 84 MPH gusts on the Fort Myers station.

Fort Myers wind
    kfmy-wind-day.gif

Fort Myers pressure (equates to 28.29 inches currently)
    kfmy-pressure2-day.gif

7. nickndfl

I think the very worst is behind us now. Will need to push the new landscaping down, but so far so good with everything else. 170910-191725.jpg

8. agnut

agnut Gold Member Gold Chaser

Hi all, I’ve been watching Irma’s progress for several days. Hystckndle, looks like Irma is coming right over Fort Myers. I’ve been praying for you and your loved ones.

As you know, I’m a Florida native myself, having been born in Key West and growing up partly in Miami, one block north of the Biscayne dog track. One time during a hurricane an object came smashing through the window in my bedroom while I was sleeping. My mother heard the crash and came in only to find that I was still asleep ! She woke me up with broken glass all over me. Good thing that I became a mechanic rather than a night watchman.

I remember when we were kids running against the wind, pretending that we could fly. And all the while, palm fronds and other projectiles were flying past us. Life was pretty wild and wonderful back in the early 60s. I fell out of a moving car twice; no seat belts or remote door locks in those days. Life was way simpler then (and so were we).

Point is, the good Lord made us tougher than we think we are. I could have been killed several times throughout my life but I’m still here kicking and taking names. And looking forward to the future. There will be some challenging days ahead Hystkndle but there will also be many, many wonderful days ahead. Time is the great healer, it is said.

About 6 months ago I found a purpose to my being here. I was at the local Dollar store in the checkout line and the lady behind me had a huge quantity of women’s makeup. I asked her, “What are you doing, buying a year’s supply ?” she smiled and said that she owned a retirement home and these cosmetics were for her residents. We talked a bit and she invited me to drop by while giving me her phone number and address. So the last 6 months I have been going over there and dropping off drinks, clothes, tvs , DVD machines, movies, Bibles and other items the residents need. My bartering and horsetrading skills have been instrumental in finding most of the things these people need. You see, they only get about $62 a month after their social security check arrives. I feel that I have been put here to minister to them in whatever I can provide. The hunt for specific items is what I enjoy greatly but the greatest pleasure is when I can bring a truckload of clothes, blankets and shoes and let them go through the boxes.

It gets cold here in the Pacific Northwest and now everyone is prepared. For weeks I had been searching for a woman’s 3X to 4X winter coat for a lady and found one at a thrift store I had never visited before. Now I have a new resource, a great one. This coat was more that I could have wished for; it is 80% wool and like new which the store owner said that it was $150 or more when new. I paid $10 for it ! When I got to the retirement home and showed the lady, she was thrilled. By the way, I’m not rich but have a lot of stuff. I am living on $809 Social Security per month and can’t afford to buy new clothing and other items for so many people.

I have a dream that what I am doing might go nationwide and thousands of retirement homes would be affected. There are millions of seniors and disabled right here in America who need help and to know that somebody cares enough about them to do something about it. I am living by the last two quotes in my posts and hope that they will touch you as they have me.

Before you may think that I am blowing my horn I must tell you that I am not doing this for my self aggrandizement.. It is for my faith; I am a Christian. “Let your light so shine that others may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in Heaven.” I’m just along for the ride and a great ride it is !

Why am I writing this on a thread about the biggest hurricane in several decades ? Well, I believe that no matter how bad Florida residents may get hit, it would be tremendously uplifting if we were to help each other when the opportunity presents itself. And you never know; you may find a new lifetime friend in the deal. Pay It Forward was a great movie.

We must ALL help Make America Great Again. President Trump can’t do it alone; he needs our help.

Best wishes,

Agnut

P.S. Now you know why I haven’t been writing on the bartering and horsetrading thread for the last several months. Much thanks to searcher who has so wonderfully held the fort in my absence.

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is the meaning of success. "
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

“You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
    C.S. Lewis

9. Cigarlover

Cigarlover Gold Member Gold Chaser

I'm thinking the Key West wedding may be canceled. Not sure how fast they can rebuild, I guess it depends on how bad it is. I'll be staying at the weston but not sure where the wedding venue is. Sunset Key I think..

10. Goldhedge

Retired
    Where Do Birds Go In A Hurricane?

When severe weather hits, humans flee or hunker down and hope for the best. But what about birds? Where do they go? And what happens to migratory birds?

[​IMG]NOAA
    Hurricane Irma, the most powerful storm ever recorded in the Atlantic Ocean, heads toward the Eastern Caribbean in this photograph, captured by a satellite on Tuesday, Sept. 5, 2017.
    (Credit: NOAA / public domain.)

As the southern United States faces a second record-breaking hurricane in less than two weeks, I’ve been asked many times: “What happens to birds in hurricanes? Where do they go?”

Basically, birds have a variety of strategies for dealing with large storms, such as hurricanes, including: leaving the area; flying ahead of, or into the storm; or sheltering in place.

Birds may leave in advance of an approaching storm

Research has shown that birds can hear infrasound (ref) and are sensitive to barometric pressure (ref and ref), so they know when a storm is on its way -- especially when the storm is as large and as powerful as a hurricane. When a large storm approaches, birds in its path may adjust their behaviors within the parameters of their own life histories and according to season. For example, white-throated sparrows, Zonotrichia albicollis, are migratory songbirds, so if a large storm is approaching during their annual spring or autumnal migration period, they may migrate sooner than they might otherwise do (ref). Interestingly, research has found that sparrows speed up their autumnal migratory departure date in response to falling barometric pressures (but not temperature), whereas they delay their spring migratory departure in response to falling temperature (but not barometric pressure).

[​IMG]Cephas via a Creative Commons license
    White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis), Cap Tourmente National Wildlife Area, Quebec, Canada. This songbird species is migratory and adjusts its autumnal migration departure to avoid large storms.
    (Credit: Cephas / CC BY-SA 3.0)

Birds may fly ahead of, into, or through, a storm

Some migratory birds may intentionally fly into a large storm. For example, a whimbrel, Numenius phaeopus, named Chinquapin, flew into Hurricane Irene’s dangerous northeast quadrant in 2011. This medium-sized shorebird was part of an ongoing research project and was carrying a satellite tracker, allowing scientists to watch this intrepid bird’s progress in real time as she migrated from Hudson Bay, Canada, to her wintering grounds in South America.

[​IMG]Andreas Trepte via a Creative Commons license
    Whimbrel (Numenius phaeopus), is a wading shorebird. This migratory shorebird is one of the most widespread of the curlews, breeding across much of subarctic North America, Europe and Asia as far south as Scotland.
    (Credit: Andreas Trepte / CC BY-SA 2.5.)

Chinquapin was lucky. Although this same bird successfully flew around the edge of Tropical Storm Colin in the previous year, a second satellite tagged bird flew into that storm and was killed.

But storms are not the worst of what whimbrels and other migratory birds encounter. Several other satellite tagged whimbrels, named Machi and Goshen, survived their flights through hurricanes in 2011. (Like Chinquapin, Goshen also tangled with Hurricane Irene, although she flew through the outer edge instead.) But both Machi and Goshen paused on the Caribbean island of Guadeloupe and tragically, both were shot dead within hours of their arrival. (This is a common fate for hurricane survivors landing on Guadeloupe.)

In the same year, another satellite tagged whimbrel, named Hope, flew into Tropical Storm Gert off the coast of Nova Scotia, Canada. Incredibly, she endured strong headwinds for 27 hours straight, but was able to fly at an average speed of only 7 miles per hour (11kph). In contrast, after she successfully emerged from the middle of that storm, she then was pushed by strong tailwinds at an average speed of 90 miles per hour (145kph) and safely returned to her staging grounds on Cape Cod -- after expending a huge amount of effort for no gain.

[​IMG]Jim McCulloch via a Creative Commons license

A chimney swift (Chaetura pelagica) flying in Austin, Texas, USA. This migratory species is famous because a flock was “kidnapped” by Hurricane Wilma in 2005 and relocated to Western Europe.
    (Credit: Jim McCulloch / CC BY 2.0.)

But migrating ahead of, or during, a hurricane is a strategy that is fraught with dangers and can have unexpected consequences, especially for small birds. For example, in 2005, a large flock of migrating chimney swifts, Chaetura pelagica, was swept up by Hurricane Wilma, and the lucky survivors relocated to Western Europe -- to the delight of bird watchers there.

Other small migratory bird species may become trapped inside a hurricane, as probably was the situation for those migrating chimney swifts. For example, radar images of Hurricane Matthew as it raged across Florida in 2016 showed it had a huge flock of birds trapped in its eye.

These birds were relocated by many hundreds or thousands of kilometers away from where they were, or wanted to be -- again, to the delight of local birders.

Birds may shelter in place and hang on for dear life

Many non-migratory birds seek shelter inside thick bushes or on the leeward side of trees. Trees and shrubs can dramatically reduce wind speeds and can keep birds dry even during a torrential downpour. And since birds adapted to sleeping whilst perched, their feet automatically close when they are relaxed, thereby making it easier for birds to hang on to something solid for dear life.

Birds may also find cover where ever it exists. For example, an injured Cooper’s hawk, Accipiter cooperii, now known as Harvey, took refuge in Willam Bruso’s taxi in Houston during Hurricane Harvey just a few days ago:

Harvey (the bird, not the hurricane) was given to the TWRC Wildlife Center the following day, where it was discovered that she had suffered a broken wing (and was probably in shock from the pain), thereby preventing the terrified bird from flying. Harvey is expected to make a full recovery.

In addition to taxis, other birds, such as woodpeckers and parrots, may seek shelter in their nest-holes or in other cavities. This works well unless the tree they are sheltering in is uprooted or snapped off at the cavity, or if these birds become trapped by floodwaters — just as people become trapped in their attics and drown.

Birds may die

Remember that flock of chimney swifts that I mentioned? Most of them met a horrible end: at least 727 of these tiny birds’ bodies were found later (ref) -- but how many thousands more died and were never found? Indeed, Hurricane Wilma’s effects on chimney swift numbers were so severe and widespread that, in the province of Québec, Canada, where these birds lived, chimney swifts became quite rare as the direct result of this one tragic event. In the following year, roost counts declined by an average of 62% and the total chimney swift population is estimated to have decreased by half.

Surprisingly, we don’t really have much robust data for how storms affect bird populations -- until they become vanishingly small. But researchers studying sooty terns, Onychoprion fuscatus, which are plentiful in the Atlantic, report a strong positive correlation between “wrecked” individuals found throughout the Caribbean and the number of tropical storms, particularly hurricanes (ref). These data are being used to build computer models that may help to more precisely predict storm-caused mortality for seabirds.

[​IMG]
    Adult sooty tern (Onychoprion fuscatus), on Tern Island, French Frigate Shoals. This is a migratory seabird that nests on islands on or near the equator in the Atlantic Ocean.
    (Credit: Duncan Wright / USFWS / Public domain.)

Hurricanes can have serious impacts on sedentary bird species, particularly those that live on islands or that have small populations. For example, already driven to the point of extinction by widespread habitat destruction and poaching for the pet trade, the few remaining Iguaca, or Puerto Rican parrots, Amazona vittata, were then faced with Hurricane Hugo in 1989. This storm pummelled the island of Puerto Rico, destroying much of the habitat in the Luquillo mountains, which is the last refuge for these critically endangered parrots. By the end of that year, it was determined than only 22 Puerto Rican parrots had survived (ref).

[​IMG]Tom MacKenzie / Public domain
    Critically endangered Endangered Puerto Rican parrot (Amazona vittata) in a flight cages at the Iguaca Aviary.
    (Credit: Tom MacKenzie / USFWS / Public domain.)

The critically endangered Cozumel thrasher, Toxostoma guttatum, was even more seriously impacted: we still are not sure whether this island species survived a double hit by Hurricanes Emily and Wilma in 2005.

Of course, if birds survive a hurricane, and somehow manage to find their way back home, they are then faced with profound habitat destruction that can persist for decades. In 1989, Hurricane Hugo decimated much of the remaining old-growth forest that is vital habitat for endangered red-cockaded woodpeckers, Leuconotopicus borealis. According to the National Wildlife Federation, Hurricane Hugo damaged 4.5 million acres of state forest throughout South Carolina (ref), and reduced 477 colonies of red-cockaded woodpeckers to just 100 in the Francis Marion National Forest.

[​IMG]Russ W via a creative commons license
    Endangered red-cockaded woodpecker (Leuconotopicus borealis), Fred Babcock/Cecil Webb state wildlife management area, Florida, 2017. This is an adult female.
    (Credit: Russ W / CC BY 2.0)

This same hurricane also devastated coastal and dune habitats that a variety of shorebirds and seabirds (at least some of which are endangered or critically endangered) depend upon for food or for nesting sites.

Throughout the millennia, birds have developed a variety of strategies for coping with large, severe storms like hurricanes. But thanks to people and to our bad behaviors, like habitat destruction, hunting, and poaching, birds have fewer and fewer places to flee for safety, and this makes the effects of hurricanes more extreme than they otherwise would be.

Sources:

Creagh W. Breuner, Rachel S. Sprague, Stephen H. Patterson, and H. Arthur Woods (2013). Environment, behavior and physiology: do birds use barometric pressure to predict storms? Journal of Experimental Biology 216:1982-1990 | doi:10.1242/jeb.081067

Jessica Metcalf, Kim L. Schmidt, Wayne Bezner Kerr, Christopher G. Guglielmo, and Scott A.MacDougall-Shackleton (2013). White-throated sparrows adjust behaviour in response to manipulations of barometric pressure and temperature, Animal Behaviour 86(6):1285-1290 | doi:10.1016/j.anbehav.2013.09.033

Mark Dionne, Céline Maurice, Jean Gauthier, and François Shaffer (2008). Impact of Hurricane Wilma on Migrating Birds: The Case of the Chimney Swift, The Wilson Journal of Ornithology 120(4):784-792 | doi:10.1676/07-123.1

Steven R. Beissinger, Joseph M. Wunderle Jr., J. Michael Meyers, Bernt-Erik Sæther, and Steinar Engen (2008). Anatomy of a bottleneck: diagnosing factors limiting population growth in the Puerto Rican parrot, Ecological Monographs 78(2):185–203 | doi:10.1890/07-0018.1

Ryan M. Huang, Oron L. Bass Jr, and Stuart L. Pimm (2017). Sooty tern (Onychoprion fuscatus) survival, oil spills, shrimp fisheries, and hurricanes, PeerJ | doi:10.7717/peerj.3287

Where Do Birds Go In A Hurricane? | @GrrlScientist

Love science? Me too! I'm very active on twitter @GrrlScientist, and you can follow my writing on Medium and by subscribing to my weekly TinyLetter

mayhem, Crockett, Hystckndle and 5 others like this.
  11. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

Been looking for info on how much of a surge is projected. Catching the NE winds pushing water from gulf to shore. Lots of warnings but no concrete info. Tide heading out now. High tide will be around 4 A.M.

12. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Tampa Bay was sucked out a bit. Darn it man. Also Bahamas

13. Hystckndle

2.8 million no power.
    Just talked to Mayhem.
    He is good.
    Started blowing good here now.
    Eye will be to the west 40 or 50 miles or so....maybe less
    Still a ways south .

mayhem, JayDubya, Uncle and 2 others like this.
  14. Goldhedge

Retired
    Where you at Hystack?

Hystckndle likes this.
  15. itsamess

itsamess Silver Member Silver Miner

fl1.jpg fl2.jpg

East side getting hammered with rain. Melbourne 5+ more inches.

Attached Files:

• fl2.jpg
      fl2.jpg
      File size:
      133.7 KB
      Views:
  16. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

SWAT standoff as looters steal GUNS from a sporting goods store: At least 19 burglars are arrested across Florida and one is shot by police during Irma crime spree
    • SWAT officers in Orlando detain one suspect after a standoff which began looters broke into Academy Sports trying to steal guns
    • Two groups of looters were caught on camera Sunday ransacking two separate sporting goods stores in hurricane-hit South Florida
    • At least eight people were filmed by an ABC crew breaking into Simon's Sportswear in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    • The group did so amid Hurricane Irma's destruction across South Florida
    • In midtown Miami, a local reporter watched as at least a dozen looters undertook what appeared to be a well-coordinated theft of a sporting goods shop
    • No one in either group has been identified
    • A Broward County sheriff's deputy shot a teenager and arrested another after they allegedly broke in to a home in the affluent suburb of Weston
    • Fort Lauderdale police announced the arrest of two 28-year-old men who are alleged to have broken into six homes late Saturday night

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4870676/Eight-looters-broke-Fort-Lauderdale-clothing-retailer.html#ixzz4sKLlqsSr
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

17. Bushpilot

Bushpilot Silver Member Silver Miner

I hope the Pine Key deer made it! I've seen them, they are pretty cool, mini whitetails.

mayhem, Crockett and Cigarlover like this.
  18. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

There is surge on Marco. Not far from sibs houses.

IMG952186.jpg

19. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Vermin of the worst kind. Too bad Irma is so indiscriminate....

20. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

#BlackLootersMatter

agnut, mayhem, JayDubya and 3 others like this.
  21. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    Negroes behaving badly yet again! What else is new? You need to shoot a few. Very effective deterrent to repeat offenders!!!
    [​IMG]

Crockett likes this.
  22. latemetal

latemetal Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Irma is coming to visit me, the nice newsman has a
    the arrow pointed at my house, still have lights and all.

23. itsamess

itsamess Silver Member Silver Miner

Shoe sale

24. Cigarlover

Some food or water I could understand but this is just sorry pieces of shit taking advantage of a situation. Every one of them is also driving newer vehicles.

Crockett, searcher and Hystckndle like this.
  25. Goldhedge

Retired
    Police arrest Hurricane Irma looters caught on camera

PLANTATION, Fla. — Police have arrested nearly a dozen people accused of looting hurricane-shuttered stores around Fort Lauderdale as brutal Hurricane Irma bore down on the beachside city 30 miles north of Miami.

Fort Lauderdale police said they arrested nine people Sunday on suspicion of looting a pawn shop and nearby shoe store. Two teens were arrested for breaking into six homes Saturday night as the storm intensified. The Broward County sheriff’s office said the two teens were arrested in Weston, about 35 miles north of Miami, after evacuated homeowners, watching their houses remotely, saw the teens breaking in. One of the teens was shot and wounded by a deputy, the sheriff’s office said.

#FLPD Can't say we didn't warn you...28 YOs Ryan Cook & Max Saintvil each face 6 counts of burglary from overnight #HurricaneIrma pic.twitter.com/GyPhAeMAVZ

— Fort Lauderdale PD (@FLPD411) September 10, 2017
    “Going to prison over a pair of sneakers is a fairly bad life decision,” Fort Lauderdale police Chief Rick Maglione said in a statement. “Stay home and look after your loved ones and be thankful they are all safe.”

In Stuart, police arrested a man accused of burglarizing a home after the owner evacuated to a school, according to an affidavit. Rashaad Kelly, 20, was arrested, charged with burglary and with causing more than $1,000 in damage during a state of emergency, police said.

Miami-Dade County had yet to receive a single looting call as of 3 p.m. Sunday afternoon, said detective Marjorie Eloi, who was stationed Sunday at the county emergency operations center.

"Thankfully we've got great residents in Miami-Dade County," Eloi said.

Looting is a major concern for residents during mandatory evacuations, and a reason some people refuse to leave their property behind. In many disasters, police and National Guard troops patrol the streets to help allay such fears, but Irma’s strong winds have prompted some public safety agencies to temporarily withdraw from the streets.

ATTENTION LOOTERS; Every incident will be investigated. Evidence collected will be used to pursue charges after the fact. #HurrcaneIrma

— Broward Sheriff (@browardsheriff) September 10, 2017
    Broward County on Saturday issued a curfew intended to reduce the risk of looting, and Miami-Dade on Sunday put in place a similar curfew effective at 7 p.m., when the storm’s winds are forecast to begin abating.

“#MDPD will FULLY enforce this curfew,” the Miami-Dade Police Department announced.

Contributing: Alan Gomez in Miami

Crockett likes this.
  26. Hystckndle

Hang tight Latemetal !

27. Hystckndle

West of I 4.
    North of Orlando.
    Far far west side of Seminole County.
    So north and east of the eye / now center.
    Looks like eye has broken down per se '.
    I think its in Latemetals garage right now.

agnut, mayhem, Crockett and 1 other person like this.
  28. Hystckndle

Between 60 and 70 sustained.
    Give or take.
    Dunno about gusts.

agnut likes this.
  29. Hystckndle

Come in Southfork !
    Do you copy ?

30. Hystckndle

This junk right here coming up in a few minutes. 20170911_012250.jpg

searcher and Cigarlover like this.
  31. Hystckndle

3.5 Million no power.
    109 thousand OUC
    Orlando Utilities Commision no power.

32. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

This storm could have been worse...but it's pretty bad. Had it hit Tampa with 140+mph winds, then the devastation would have been atrocious.

mayhem, Crockett, agnut and 5 others like this.
  33. Hystckndle

Agree with that.
    Woulda flooded St Pete and Tampa...
    Everything.
    Gone towards panhandle.
    Just downgraded to 1
    Whats left of the outer band,
    50ish miles wide, going over at the moment.

Sending some stormy stuff up your way Crensh.
    Dunno how far over you are.
    Regards,

Crockett, agnut and Uncle like this.
  34. Hystckndle

Back side circulation now.
    Always good to take out a few trees loosened
    on the front end.
    Still dont feel comfortable going out.
    Will wait till a little lighter out.
    Lots of tornado warnings.
    Never heard so many on the radio before as when
    storm came ashore the 2nd time.
    Warning here now till late morning.

Miami area schools announced early on
    schools closed " until further notice "
    They kept scrowling on the bottom of the screen here
    how many places would be open Tuesday and I was thinking....hmmmm....we will see on that.

Still wanting to here from Southfork and Latemetal.

Crockett, agnut, smooth and 4 others like this.
  35. Goldhedge

Retired
    Well, that sure was exciting!!

I never followed a hurricane so thoroughly as Irma!

Now for the damage reports...

agnut and Cigarlover like this.
  36. Professur

It's a bit annoying that they've completely dropped Houston from the news. Still a lot of recovery to happen there.

mayhem, searcher, agnut and 4 others like this.
  37. Professur

searcher, agnut and spinalcracker like this.
  38. Cigarlover

I think Houston was much worse than Fl in regards to damage anyway. Still haven't seen anything on Key West.
    This morning it's all about 9/11 though. Have to keep the justification for the 825 billion a year war machine fresh in everyones mind. Meanwhile 200,000 peoples homes were severely damaged in Houston and they get 8 billion or maybe its up to 13 now.

mayhem, Hystckndle, Pyramid and 3 others like this.
  39. Krag

Krag Planet earth Platinum Bling

The @$$ licking presstitutes and deep dark state has to keep the 9-11 myths alive while totally unnecessary foreign militarism continues.

searcher, Crockett, agnut and 2 others like this.
  40. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

One of my colleagues is a restoration guru who responded to Harvey...he said this morning that what he is seeing out of Florida is far worse.

mayhem, smooth, searcher and 4 others like this.