1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Hurricane Irma Watch.

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by mayhem, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

Glad you guys came out relatively ok...no injuries. Anyone else unaccounted for in FL?

Goldhedge likes this.
  2. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

I looked up businesses (Babys Coffee) and roads (South Point Dr, Dobie St.) that appeared in the video, and the locations are Summerland Key, Sugarloaf Key, Saddlebunch Keys.

3. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I was going to add a pool, but was planning on selling this house next year and roll the profits into the next. We can do that every 2 years tax free. I took the pool money and bought some other property. I could build a new home every 2 years for the rest of my life, but the moving can get tiresome.

agnut, Cigarlover and Crockett like this.
  4. nickndfl

I know Baby's Coffee. I also stay at Parmer's Resort on Big Pine, or at least used to stay there. I left them a message, but nobody got back to me yet.

Cigarlover likes this.
  5. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

My brother lives South of Orlando. He lost an Oak Tree that fell across the road and not his house. He has a Generac [sp?] set up on his house. The second the power died his generator kicked on automatically. Outside of the tree no issues. Him and his neighbor are doing "Chain Saw Duty" to open the street up for the rest of the neighborhood.

FWIW - Central Kentucky we're getting some wind and occasional bands of showers. Supposed to be for the next few days.
    Friday we'll be back into high school football weather drier and a little warmer.

6. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

ALLRIGHT!!

I see all my brothers in Fla-Fla land made it through this one alive.

BF

agnut, Hystckndle and mayhem like this.
  7. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

8. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    Irma did hit the southeasrn Tennessee/North Georgia area yesterday. Winds of 30-50 MPH and periods of heavy rain. North Georgia (including Atlanta) was under a Tropical Storm warning yesterday which I believe that was a first in their history. My area of TN is still in a Wind Advisary and will be in it until 11 AM EST. Forcasted rainfall was 2-3 inches. I think that there was power outage in my area but I think that it was restored once the weather conditions improved. I am fine.

9. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

10. keef

keef Пальто Crude Platinum Bling

Retired Hoser
    pfffssst.. They only been preppin for what, 15- 20 years now?

End of World is what gimmers live for, {will the last gimmer to leave this planet pls turn off the lights?}

11. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    Quoted for truth!!^^^

12. mayhem

mayhem Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

Now that was funny and so true. I needed a good laugh this morning keef. I have other big problems going on here.

Thanks

13. latemetal

latemetal Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Survived, no real damage, but no power, phone, or cell service...see you when things get.normal

Thecrensh, Uglytruth, agnut and 10 others like this.
  14. mayhem

Thanks for reporting in latemetal. Stay safe.

Uglytruth, GOLDBRIX and Hystckndle like this.
  15. Agavegirl1

Agavegirl1 Silver Miner Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

You will not believe me if I told you.
    Thanks for reporting in latemetal

mayhem likes this.
  16. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Latemetal,
    Good to see you.

Anyone seen or heard from Southfork ??

southfork likes this.
  17. Cigarlover

Cigarlover Gold Member Gold Chaser

Irma just arrived.
    Watching fox or cnn through youtube I have a few random thoughts.
    When gas prices go up its a supply and demand issue, when the prices of anything else go up its price gouging. Whoever gets charged with price gouging, I hope they fight it hard.

I also remember why I gave up TV, the commercials. Funny to see one set of commercials pushing drugs on everyone complete with the warning may cause death. LOL.. I mean who is sitting at home saying, man that could cause death I gotta get me some of that.
    Then the next round of commercials is from the lawyers who are suing the companies who produce the drugs that cause death. LOL.

On a serious note, I keep hearing about how some people don't have flood insurance. Is that insurance mandatory in a flood zone or is it optional? For people outside a flood zone with no flood insurance how much does fema pay to help rebuild? Do they cover the cost of everything? If not I imagine people would just walk away and go buy another home and leave the banks stuck.

18. mayhem

Quote from smokey-seven on another forum sums it up pretty well.
    "Flood insurance won't pay for S*#^. Structural damage only. No utility devices (heat hot water washing/dryers etc) As far as I know it won't even pay for drywall.

My neighbors are required to have it since they have a mortgage, but they have been flooded a few times and cannot collect dime one.

You home washes away, you got some money coming, if it's still there with the walls all standing, you're screwed"

agnut and Cigarlover like this.
  19. Cigarlover

Thanks Mayhem, do you think many will walk away from their homes down there? Whats happened in the past? I know people don't have gobs of cash sitting around to rebuild so not sure what happens.

20. Agavegirl1

I know of a few snowbirds up here that are considering Arizona right now. They usually rent for 3-5 months for a number of years then end up buying later. Our already retired relatives in Florida evacuated to a hotel. When they returned to their Clearwater home, all was fine. They are going nowhere of course. Those on the Atlantic coast, seriously considering somewhere else.

agnut, GOLDBRIX and Cigarlover like this.
  21. nickndfl

It was reported that 25% of all Keys residents lost their homes, but that also includes house boats & trailers. Every home is reported to have some kind of damage.

I am not going anywhere, but work will be limited this month. As long as you have food, water, a generator and portable a/c unit you will be fine as long as the house is standing. They are talking about evacuating those in the Keys who defiantly stayed behind because it could be months.

22. mayhem

Because I don't do TV I'm not up to speed on what is going on in the big picture. Around me my Cuban neighbor and his 12 year year old son has been running up and down the street with a pair of front loaders he owns straightening up peoples fruit trees that blew over. Ya would have thunk we would have some flooding out here in the filled in swampland, but none reported. We live on dirt roads no pavement. I have a drainage canal running behind my property. It did get high but never crested. The city always has floods. You can't pave over all drain-able land and not expect it. Every area is different. We are on 1-1/4 acre lots going 6 miles in each direction. In the city they live on 55' x 75' zero lot lines, No room for drainage crammed in like that.

Alton, GOLDBRIX, searcher and 2 others like this.
  23. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

Florida Keys

MONROE COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT UDATE TUESDAY EVENING

SEARCH AND RESCUE

We know that many people are worried about family members and friends who stayed in the Keys during Hurricane Irma and now cannot be reached. The major reason for not being able to reach people is the lack of communication capability in the Keys. Most of the Keys are without internet or cell service. Crews are working to get these services back on line.

Search and rescue teams have been going door to door in the hardest hit areas of the Keys, including Big Pine Key and Cudjoe Key. Military personnel have helped law enforcement break through the debris and assist in the search.

Col. Lou Caputo with the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office reports that they have made good progress reaching many homes and have found no casualties in the search. They will continue door to door searches of the areas they haven’t covered. They are expecting to cover about 90 percent of the hardest hit areas by tomorrow. The search teams do not enter shuttered homes at this time.

DAMAGES

Contrary to reports, no assessments have been done to accurately determine percentage of damage or dollar figures. Monroe County has one of the strongest building codes in the country.

“Things look real damaged from the air, but when you clear the trees and all the debris, it’s not much damage to the houses,” said Monroe County Commissioner Heather Carruthers.

Carruthers, who lives in Key West, said all that was wrong with her house built in 1889 was downed shutters.

ARRIVING AID

Monroe County Emergency Management Director Martin Senterfitt reports that C-130s have been taking off and landing constantly with resources that include food and water. The Iwo Jima light aircraft carrier is 7 miles offshore and ready to provide a variety or resources and manpower.

FEMA has arrived in Key West.

OVERSEAS HIGHWAY: The Keys “Main Street”

FDOT reports that it has inspected 100 percent of the 42 bridges along U.S. 1 and they are all safe for travel. FDOT also repaired two stretches of U.S. 1 that washed away, at MM 75 and MM 37, and they are ready for travel.

FDOT reports that “cut and toss” operations were completed on U.S. 1 today. Debris removal operations to haul it away will begin soon.

“Now it is safe to travel throughout U.S. 1,” FDOT reports.

MEDICAL SERVICES

Mariners Hospital in Tavernier has opened its emergency room.

Disaster Medical Assistance Teams have arrived and will be setting up in Key West, the Florida Keys Community College and the City of Marathon Park. They will become operational tomorrow. More details to come.

CELL SERVICE

AT&T crews are working to restore service.

FOOD AND WATER DISTRIBUTION

Two distribution centers for food and water became operation in Key West on Tuesday. One is at the Sears Town Plaza in New Town and the other is in Bahama Village in Old Town. Two other distribution sites are in the works at Sugarloaf School and the National Key Deer Refuge office on the Overseas Highway in Big Pine Key.

FUEL

Fuel remains limited in the Keys. But gas stations are beginning to open up to the public, especially in the Upper Keys.

ROAD CLEARING

In Key West, 80 percent of the roads are cleared of debris and it’s expected all streets will be passable soon. Debris removal to follow.

In Key Largo, New York Task Force 2 has worked with the Key Largo Volunteer Fire Department on search and rescue and moving debris.

In Islamorada, debris has been removed from all the side streets into a single path to make it possible to travel them. Debris removal will begin by Saturday.

Debris removal is taking place in all other parts of the County.

“Did anybody think after the epic hurricane that we experience that our streets are as clear as they are now,” Monroe County Administrator Roman Gastesi said. “We’ve been very fortunate public works and everyone in on this effort has been doing a heck of a job.”

SEWER

In Key West, the sewer treatment facility is now functioning. Anyone with running water or a bucket of water will be able to flush.

“Every day, every hour goes by with more progress,” Gastesi said.

ENERGY

Florida Keys Electric Coop, which services the Upper Keys to the end of the Seven Mile Bridge ,has fully energized its main transmission line and all its substations and is working on feeder lines to the neighborhoods. There is a base camp at Founders Park in Islamorada for the contracted crews.

The Coop reports about 30 percent of its customers have power and are bringing more people online each day.

There still is no power in the Lower Keys. Keys Energy Service that handles the rest of the Keys coverage area is making good progress. They are expecting to be able to bring power to Key West in a few days. The hardest hit areas around Big Pine Key and Cudjoe Key will take longer. There is about 300 downed power poles, which take time to replace.

WATER

The Florida Keys Aqueduct Authority also has made significant progress. The main transmission line is intact. It has been plugging leaks and is now getting pressure from Upper Keys to Marathon. Numbers are not known at this time, but several neighborhoods in the Upper Keys have water.

From 10 a.m. to noon tomorrow, Key West will have water from stored supplies and an old plant.

There is still a precautionary boil water notice in effect for all of the Keys.

INSURANCE

Citizen’s Property Insurance will come into the Keys tomorrow to set up a base camp. The location and hours of operation will be announced soon.

CURFEW

The dusk-to-dawn curfew will remain in place until further notice. “Any citizen out moving around at night will be stopped by law enforcement and will be sent home,” Monroe County Sheriff Office Col. Lou Caputo said.

AIRPORTS

Key West International Airport and Florida Keys Marathon International are open for emergency response flights. They remain closed until further notice for commercial flights and general aviation.

JAIL

Monroe County has set up a temporary jail in Marathon. A local judge will hold first appearances every other day. One looter is now in custody. Monroe County Sheriff’s Office is being helped from a large contingent of law enforcement officers from outside the County to help with security.

GROCERY STORES
    The Winn-Dixie and Publix grocery stores opened today in Key Largo with limited hours.

Sen. Anitere Flores was on the 6:30 p.m. conference call when all the progess was discussed and said: “It’s only been 48 hours after the storm hit and it’s absolutely remarkable what has been accomplished.”

Alton, birddog, mayhem and 1 other person like this.
  24. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

'We have no place to go': Aerial photos reveal the trail of devastation in Florida left by Irma as residents return to find up to 90% of homes have been destroyed or damaged
    • Most Floridians are returning to their homes this week to face sweltering heat without air conditioning
    • In Florida Keys, 90 per cent of properties have sustained some damage, with 25 per cent totally destroyed
    • Approximately half of Florida's population is still without power and it could take weeks to fully restore
    • Parts of the Florida Keys are still inaccessible as officials test bridges to make sure they are safe
    • Irma, downgraded to a tropical depression on Tuesday as it swirled over the Alabama-Mississippi border
    • At least 18 deaths in the United States have been connected to Irma, and at least 37 in the Caribbean
    • President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump plan to visit Florida on Thursday and survey damage

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4878754/Hurricane-Irma-damaged-90-homes-Florida-Keys.html#ixzz4sYu9hrBm
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

andial likes this.
  25. Uncle

Uncle Gold Member Gold Chaser

Search, your point 4 has been dealt with in the previous post.

FDOT reports that it has inspected 100 percent of the 42 bridges along U.S. 1 and they are all safe for travel. FDOT also repaired two stretches of U.S. 1 that washed away, at MM 75 and MM 37, and they are ready for travel.

Perhaps something closer than dailymail.co.uk should be used as source.

Golden Regards
    Uncle

Cigarlover and mayhem like this.
  26. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Just got internet back this afternoon, still no power running on generator, big tree down tool down fence and ended up in canal, mostly landscaping damage, gas still scarce. All ok otherwise

searcher, Uncle, BigJim#1-8 and 9 others like this.
  27. mayhem

Anybody taking bet's on how much the Insurance Co's will raise their rates? Mine is due in Nov. I'm saying 20% increase as the lowest amount of increase. I'm kinda stuck with them anyway. I have checked around and switching would be more expensive. It will reach a point soon that I'll just not bother having it. Heck I own the place and can well afford to just sweep the slab and put 40 foot travel trailer on it. The older we get the less we care about a big fancy home to impress who? This place is 3k square feet, and we don't use 1/2 of it. Wife is getting older also and wonders why she needs to clean rooms that may get used once a year. Want to visit, there is a Motel 6 miles down the street.

On topic it appears that most damage caused by Irma in out immediate area was landscaping. Fallen trees and such. Elsewhere, I really don't know. Don't follow the nooze.

searcher, Uncle, Crockett and 3 others like this.
  28. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

AMEN Brother !!!

Sensationalism at its "best", negatively speaking that is. "It aint news unless they say its news"

mayhem likes this.
  29. southfork

GUARANTFKINTEE A LARGE INCREASE, BTW, anyone notice jersey didn't get raped after hurricane Sandy? And CA after the floods and dam broke?

mayhem likes this.
  30. Cigarlover

I never got insurance where I am. Benefit of doing a land contract. Since I heat with wood no insurance company will touch me anyway. If it burns to the ground I'll live in a teepee and save a bundle on taxes too. Always seemed strange to me how every other asset depreciates in value but homes mysteriously go up in value every year.

31. southfork

32. southfork

33. mayhem

34. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

Per the previous Monroe County update I was under the mistaken impression that residents were allowed to at least go to their properties throughout the Keys, not true, they are only allowed to MM73 which is just south of Islamorada. Whoever wrote the update could do a better job of communicating.

I was additionally surprised to see that there was significant damage all the way to South Carolina.

Posted on: September 13, 2017

MONROE COUNTY IS ONLY OPEN TO MM 73 – NOT TO MARATHON

An erroneous report stated that Monroe County was open to Marathon. That is INCORRECT. Please help us refute this report.

Monroe County is only open to MM 73 in Islamorada. Only residents or business owners in the Upper Keys are allowed into the County.

No residents and business owners are allowed past MM 73. Only first responders and preapproved workers who are helping with the response are allowed past this point at this time.

Anyone at MM 73 must leave before the dusk-to-dawn curfew that is in effect throughout the Keys. People at the checkpoint who don’t reside in the Upper Keys must either leave the Keys or go to Coral Shores High School at MM 90 in Tavernier. It is open as a shelter of last resort. There are no services.

Monroe County is working as quickly as possible to restore power, water and medical services to Marathon and the Lower Keys and Key West. We can not open the County to these areas until the are safe.

mayhem likes this.
  35. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

Thanks for checking in southfork. I keep checking FPL website for power restoration. They say east coast should be up and running by the 17th but west side would take until the 22nd. I've also been checking twitter for Marco Island update. Cell tower got knocked down and not sure if power has been restored there. Still haven't heard directly from bro or sis but according to sisters post on faceplant, they are ok.

How's the fishing in that waterway?

southfork likes this.
  36. Agavegirl1

Great to hear from you Southfork.

southfork likes this.
  37. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

Many people stayed to face the hurricane because they knew exactly what the government would likely do. Their fears that the government would not let the evacuated residents back into the area afterward have been realized.

If you have the survivalist attitude you likely have a lot of good highly usable stuff that would be blown all over creation if your castle got hit. Your house may survive but you don’t know that. Let’s say you had a couple of days before the hurricane hit so you had a little time to make a plan. If you decided you had to evacuate, what would you take in addition to your normal travel necessities and BOB? Your gold, silver, firearms? (what if you have a rather large collection). Remember they went house to house and confiscated firearms and ammunition after Hurricane Katrina.

The MSM seems to think anybody associated with the government is a welcome relief to the folks in the Keys after the hurricane. You are supposed to trust the government after a disaster.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' -Ronald Reagan​

Right now, in Florida there are National Guard units not only from Florida, but also those who have made the trek from Wisconsin, New Jersey, California. You don’t know any of those people who were sent to help keep order, secure the area, etc.

Just because they are from the government and were sent to help you, what makes them any more trustworthy than your neighbors?

Who’s watching the watchers? In the following video about the aftermath of the hurricane of 1935 that hit the Keys, the people that were assigned to help, looted the valuables they discovered, such as jewelry, silverware (the real stuff), they even opened (blew it open?) a safe to take what was inside.

Not looking for answers, these are just some thoughts that have been running through my mind. What a crappy situation the Key residents are in. I live in Michigan so hurricanes are not something I have to endure, just the occasional tornado which thankfully keep missing.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  38. southfork

Bass, Gar, catifish, carp, brim. Were in LCEC, cant get ahold of them now, their site says theyknow there are outages , still no air this am, last night the people across the street got power back around 10pm, guy two houses over from me has power then it stops, transformer between us has fusible link popped, 5 minute job and fkers wont talk to me. Half the stations still dont have gas, most that do have long lines , stations with no gas have lines of people waiting for trucks to come , almost like a tail gate party without the party. Had some video I took on my camera but when i go to load it, it doesnt show, only the pictures I took

Cigarlover likes this.
  39. southfork

You can see the debris line from the water inthe canal rising DSCF2318.JPG

Crockett, EricTheCat, mayhem and 2 others like this.
  40. southfork

Neighbor called me during storm, palms on side were going to go and fall on roof, had to go out in storm and tie strap to car frame and hold up tree DSCF2292.JPG DSCF2293.JPG DSCF2292.JPG DSCF2292.JPG

Crockett, EricTheCat, mayhem and 3 others like this.