1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Hydrogen fuel cells

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by southfork, Jan 28, 2017.

1. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Did some research years back on hydrogen cells made with stainless plates, decided id like to do some experimenting now, any one else toy with them

searcher, coopersmith and TAEZZAR like this.
  2. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

No, but let's hear more about it.

searcher likes this.
  3. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    That would make a fun experiment as long as you don't blow yourself up. Where will you get the hydrogen? I imagine it's quite expensive and you will probably have to lease the bottle(s) make sure you have GOOD ventilation in the test area.

4. southfork

Ive seen many instance where they manufacture hydrogen thru an electrolysis process using stainless plates in water that are energized by dc voltage producing hydrogen as a product and burning it.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  5. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

For prototyping, just go to a welding supply shop. Get the right regulators and you are good to go. For an efficient system, you probably want to have some way to split up methane (natural gas) into usable hydrogen.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  6. Flight2gold

Flight2gold Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

pilot
    Built a GEET years ago. Placed it on an old lawn mower. Manual regulation of air and fuel.
    After the engine gets hot, say a minute, the tube starts producing great.
    Cracks the hydrogen and methane right out of the water and fuel.
    Only byproduct from the exhaust was water. Ice formed on the exhaust one day.
    Ran the mower on 80% water, 20% gasoline.
    I took the blade off while experimenting then added it back and mowed my lawn.
    Renault added this plasma reformer to one of their production models years ago but told the computer to only burn
    gas and diesel. Otherwise it would have run on anywhere from 50% to 80% water.

[​IMG]

http://pesn.com/2009/06/9501546_Paul-Pantone_of_Geet_released/GEET-reactor.jpg

7. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

I tried the battery volatage bubbler to plate method. Friend had one of those to "boost your mileage" deals. I could get an 8HP Kohler to run about 55 seconds. I started engine on gas & turned off gas valve. Measured time for engine to quit. Then used a line to bring hydrogen to carb intake. Started engine & turned off gas valve and could get engine to run an additional 55 seconds under no load conditions. You could tell when gas was gone, engine sound changed and was more or less just turning over more than running. Think hit miss engine when the flywheel is doing the work. Exhaust would cool rapidly. Did not change timing from BTDC to ATDC as the "explosion" (not a controlled burn like gasoline) damages parts & hits the rod bearings hard. If I remember 12 deg ATDC is a sweet spot. After 3 days of tinkering & thinking & trying everything I could I just grabbed my small soldering propane torch and turned the gas on at the carb & it ran and ran and ran and ran & I said screw this.

TAEZZAR, searcher and southfork like this.
  8. southfork

Was the steel rod stainless? Why did you quit working on it.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  9. Flight2gold

Flight2gold Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

pilot
    I remember just using a 12 inch piece of steel rebar.
    Like any other project, just get bored an moved on to something else.
    I realized I wasn't going to try to fit it to a vehicle engine.
    I think all the parts came to about $3o from Home Depot.
    I did read that someone added this to a Chevy engine on a stand.
    Got it running and was able to bring the idle down to 70 rpm and still run.
    Basically its creating synthetic gas.
    Burns a lot more efficiently than gasoline.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    TAEZZAR and searcher like this.
  10. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    Using electricity through stainless steel plates to separate hydrogen out of water to react across stainless steel plates to create energy pretty much sums up the general process for all renewable's I would say.

Sort of like connecting an inverter to a 12 volt battery to power a charger to charge the battery. I'm not saying your experiment isn't interesting, but at the end of the day hydrogen fuel cells are just another dead end side street down the road of fossil fuel depletion.

Someone_else likes this.