1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

I'd like to speak in praise of Linux

Discussion in 'Computers' started by brosil, Jun 9, 2017.

1. brosil

brosil Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

My old ASUS computer had gotten a root kit virus and I wasn't able to recover it. A friend ( now dead) gave me his old game machine to use so I didn't take it any further. I finally bought a replacement hard drive ( They're Cheap) and I installed Lubuntu on it. No more waiting for Windows to wake up. The Linux is up in 10 seconds or so. No constant updating, no pop-ups, it just works. It no longer takes forever to shut down. I hope to recover a few pictures from the other drive but I don't see a reason to go back to Windows. Good job, independent developers.

2. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

It takes time for windows to document everything you do on your computer to sell to uncle sam...............

Usury likes this.
  3. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    Windows sucks

4. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Here's the thing ... Linux is an operating system. Period. You add to it what you want. Windows is an operating SUITE! In it's continuing desperate attempt to kill off any and all competition, they build it into a do all, be all system. That means that they try to make sure than every install is stuffed to the max. That much stuff, naturally, can't all possibly work well together. If Microsoft would step back and just build a pure operating system, a GUI, and then an accessory package ... then you'd see an operating system that would totally rock.

That said, I've got a copy of Mint running a Commodore emulator on one laptop, and a copy of Solaris on another.