1. Pretty quiet to start after the Holiday weekend
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Tues Morning! Gold taking a hit, down 5.2 to 1262.9. Silver is flat at 17.32. Crude is down 24 to 49.56. The USD is up 6 tics to 97.43.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/27/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- Silver $17.32-- Oil $49.80-- USD $97.36 --
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

If you run Windows 10, watch this video. --Securing your privacy in Windows 10--

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ishkabibble, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble Gold Member Gold Chaser

Have you disabled the Windows 10 spying features? You may not be as secure as you think. When Windows 10 updates, they often switch privacy settings back to default. This happens even in push updates which are often installed without notifying you. This video shows how to disable the spying, and how a free app by Safer-Networking (maker of Spybot Search & Destroy) can be used to ensure privacy every time you boot your PC.

If you are on Windows 10, this is a must watch. If you are not on Windows 10, this will likely immunize you of any desires to try it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
    SongSungAU and gringott like this.
  2. Nero

Nero Seeker Seeker

gringott likes this.
  3. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Windows Spy Eye.jpg

It's so good it's free!

4. mayhem

mayhem Другая перспектива Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    Sure am glad that I run Linux. That video wore me out watching it.

5. bb28

bb28 Silver Member Silver Miner

You cannot secure your privacy in Windows 10. Period.

bb

OverOver and mayhem like this.
  6. mayhem

mayhem Другая перспектива Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    It's OK to have Win on your box, just don't allow it to access the Internet. That's what I do because I have a CAD and estimating program that needs Win. I also use InDesign for book formatting. But everything else get's run in Linux. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to run Linux full time. Like I said in another post, if you are intimidated by the user interface of most Linux distro's try Zorin linux. You can run it from a DVD drive without installing it to your computer. The interface is purposely made to look and feel like Windows.

Attached Files:

7. MIavatar

MIavatar Seeker

I know this threads kind old but this happened a little while ago.

I agree dual boot with windows for offline and linux for online. Or maybe better yet just run windows in a Virtual Machine sand box.

So, I bought this “Asus Republic of Gaming” I7 Laptop with windows 10 installed on it. It was a very bad consumer experience. Let me tell you. After spending about 3 hours trying to figure out how to disable the annoying pinch zoom feature that kept getting stuck on zooming in and out when ever I used the touch pad as well as the curser getting constantly stuck on the scroll bar of say, a web browser also. Very annoying.

That’s not even the worst of it. So about a week or so ago windows 10 updated itself and then cortana came on and said some dumb stuff and just froze my computer. The thing is it wasn’t a thermal shut down or BSOD. Windows just locked up and kept spinning the fans at max.

So, I try windows recovery mode at boot up. After waiting for about 2 hours with the status still stuck on 3% I gave up on that. At this point windows 10 has prolly cost me at least a days worth of work if not 2 or 3. I don’t understand why I have to back track and fix all the gaping leaks in that sub standard operating system.
    Very bad and if there is a class action law suit going on I have real damages for my time and expense along with the fact that I couldn’t do any work on any of my website CMS’s do to the down time of windows 10. You guys heard it here [time stamp] :D

In the end I ended up just going with the latest Ubuntu Linux distro and a windows xp sp3 dual boot. I use windows for most things offline and Linux for CMS managing online. So far ubuntu seems to run pretty quick, although it’s kind of bloated. It did find my wireless net right away though so that’s good.

All in all. Very bad experience with a malicious software that actually reduced productivity with windows 10. Very bad microsoft. I guess they call it windows for a reason.