1. Stocks continue up, all is aok. Metals flat to weaker.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Tues Morning! Gold is down 0.8 to 1260 while Silver is down 5 to 1714. Crude is down 49 to 5064. The USD is down 10 to 9677.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/13/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1227.70-- UP 0.80 Silver $16.40-- UP 13 Oil $47.84-- UP 1.62 USD $99.13 -- UP .61
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

If you've been collecting golden eggs, what about buying the goose?

Discussion in 'PM Trading/Stocks/Technical Analysis' started by silverwood, Apr 23, 2016.

1. silverwood

silverwood Silver Member Silver Miner

Handiman, heavy equipment operator, general constu
    The mining companies are that goose that lays the golden eggs. After a historical beating to these companies over the last several years, causing sentiment of pure disdain and hatred, things appear to be changing. So IMO, it is NOW! time to consider mining shares. So with that said I want to kick off this thread with one company that I own and believe has excellent potential. Take a look here...
    http://www.avino.com/i/pdf/Avino-Investor-Handbook.pdf

dpong likes this.
  2. solarion

solarion Gold Member Gold Chaser

Back in the day I'd have been all over it. These days with all the in your face paper ponzi scams and admissions of rigging in nearly every single market...I just can't do it. I'm sticking with the idea that if I don't hold it, I don't own it.

Good luck to those still gambling in the "free markets" though.

3. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    If you don't hold it, you don't own it

silverwood likes this.
  4. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I bought the goose about 10 years ago. My $32,000 investment is worth $7,000 at today's prices. My friends tell me to dump the stocks. I tell them that I can't afford to do that.

Mujahideen, shamash, earplugs and 2 others like this.
  5. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    Yeah, I got goosed too. If someone gave me a pile 'o paper....naw.

(edit)
    Brokers/bankers use paper to play funny business in the markets. I know the upside for stocks in a bull market is greater, but being early to the exit in a crash is paramount.

I've done very well with bullion, but if I had millions (I don't) I might consider some stocks. I think Eric Sprott (80% in silver by some accounts) must own some miners.

SC

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    silverwood likes this.
  6. silverwood

Yes, I do understand all your frustrations as anyone who was invested in miners got beat with an ugly stick, me included. At one point a several months ago I was down 80% from my portfolio's high, it was so depressing, BUT it was by design! But it appears now that "that game" is over and it is now time to play the miners from the long side. Look at the action that has happened in the past few months. It is clearly showing sentiment has changed big time, just take a look at most charts for the miners. The trend is now bullish so sell the highs and buy the dips and post what you think here. God bless!

dpong likes this.
  7. dpong

dpong Gold Member Gold Chaser

8. ToBeSelfEvident

ToBeSelfEvident Gold Member Gold Chaser

Mining shares are just another name for bankster cock. We know how this ends.

earplugs and the_shootist like this.
  9. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Lets not forget PAL, too many of these stocks spend away and keep doing reverse splits.

10. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    You didn't just say "...but this time its different" did you?

11. earplugs

earplugs Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Nugt, baby, daddy's all in. Gimme some snake eyes!

12. silverwood

So once a trend is in motion it will never change? The bear market in mining stocks, all commodities and their related industries will just keep going down. So we should have $12 silver any day now, right? The facts are the cure for low prices are low prices. When the miners are faced with product prices that will cause them to lose money and curtail production then a supply contraction will follow. This is not rocket science. So if your one of those extra smart guys who has been playing it from the short side "maybe this time it is different"

dpong and solarion like this.
  13. solarion

That's all perfectly rational thinking silverwood, however we all knew that these markets were being manipulated and now it's no longer a theory...it's fact. More shares can be printed up and shorted than exist and you'll not find out about till long after the fact...if ever. Paper PM prices are unlikely to be pushed very far under the most efficient miner's cost of production, but there's nothing stopping banksters from smashing the miner's stocks at any time they wish. The SEC will protect you every bit as well as the CFTC protected investors in commodities. That is to say...not at all.

14. dpong

silverwood, you are on the right track, IMHO. Don't let the naysayers get you down. Naysayers gotta say Nay.

15. silverwood

There is a bottom line to where any manipulation can succeed. So if commodity prices are mostly a function of the strength of the $US and you are a Fed voting member who has the ability to strengthen or weaken the $ and you read an article like this one that I just found on NBC, how are you going to vote?
    http://www.nbcnews.com/science/envi...lem-recycling-programs-across-america-n558701

16. solarion

Likely whichever way you think your shareholders stand to benefit the most. If your shareholders are banksters(and I believe they are) that require the dollar ponzi scam be maintained as long as possible then you don't give a rip about commodity producers. Likely you'd see gold and silver producers as a threat. I don't know what goes through the "minds" of the reptiles that operate the fed, but if they've actually been trying to accomplish that which their dual mandate suggests...then they're horribly incompetent.

The fact that a widely utilized commodity like silver still hasn't eclipsed the high of 1980 in real dollar terms despite the trillions of dollars that have been manufactured out of thin air tells you all you really need to know. PMs threaten dollar hegemony and must be suppressed. While this suppression cannot imo last forever, I do believe it can(and has) lasted a lot longer than many would have thought possible. Look at the smack down just since 2011...49 to 13.xx? A 72% drop? Was that really justified based on the laws of supply and demand? Certainly not given any information I've seen.

Prices can definitely drop in fiat dollar terms even while demand rises as long as banksters control the printing presses. I'd rather stack what they cannot print.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  17. silverwood

The rally in the miners has been impressive and may be a little frothy, so I could see a correction here. The character of that correction will give us more clues to where the trend is. Here is a good read IMO...https://traderdan.com/?p=10901

18. ToBeSelfEvident

ToBeSelfEvident Gold Member Gold Chaser

Nothing wrong with trying to increase your FRNs, but when you play in the bankster sandbox, they make the rules, and when you win, they change the rules. When you win big, they kick the table over. So you may be stuffing your coffers with FRNs at the precise moment FRNs become worthless or inaccessible.

oldgaranddad and solarion like this.
  19. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

The problem with owning the goose (miners) as opposed to the eggs (bullion) is that the "goose" is subject to all sorts of governmental and industry manipulation via laws and regulations that makes the market manipulation of the "eggs" look almost up and up above keel.

Miners are ongoing concerns that can be pressured by governments or even shut down at a moment's notice with all types of occupational, health, safety and environmental regulations and a myriad of permit/license procedures. A miner has to do the governments' bidding or risk being shutdown or stymied in one way or another or worse, nationalized aka seized. Bullion on the other side of the equation, once in hand of the owner, is generally out of the reach of other such entities and their pressures. Bullion bounces back after a suppressed manipulative market scheme falls apart, a mining company is not that resilient since it will always be vulnerable to external political pressures.

Now having said that which one would you want to own?

SilverCity likes this.
  20. dpong

Joe King and silverwood like this.
  21. silverwood

I spoke with Bill over at IR for Avino and asked him why Avino is underperforming many of the other primary silver producers lately he sent me the following from the national investor.com...

Avino Silver and Gold Mines, Ltd. is just out with its first quarter production numbers:

Consolidated First Quarter 2016 Production Highlights

Comparative production results from the first quarter 2016 and the first quarter 2015 are presented below:

Q1 2016 Q1 2015 % Change
    Total Silver Produced (oz) calculated 403,447 363,210 11%

Total Gold Produced (oz) calculated 1,497 1,750 -14%

Total Copper Produced (Lbs) calculated 1,350,912 872,884 55%

Total Silver Eq. Produced (oz) calculated* 715,933 652,619 10%

Said Company President and C.E.O. David Wolfin, "With a steady first quarter behind us, 2016 is shaping up to be a solid year for Avino. Our operations team delivered another quarter of consistent production and development at the San Gonzalo and Avino Mines respectively, putting us in a strong position to achieve our goals for the year. In 2016 our objectives are to continue to focus on efficient operations including improving recovery rates, meeting production targets, controlling costs and transitioning the Avino Mine from the development phase to underground mining. Underground Mining commenced on April 1 on upper level 11.5 using the long-hole sub-level caving method, which is a cost effective method of extraction." (Emphasis added.)

I emphasized what I did above to point out an important fact about Avino's year-end 2015 numbers (released back on March 2 and at http://www.avino.com/s/news.asp?ReportID=741483) that many missed. While the financial statement showed $19 million in revenues for Avino during 2015 (from San Gonzalo) the company received income of $21 million from the Avino Mine that could NOT be counted officially as revenue since Avino was still technically in development. But with underground mining having started at Avino and a declaration of commercial production coming, it should only be a quarter or two before there is a BIG jump in the revenue the company reports. In the interim, I think there are many investors and even analysts asleep, not realizing the true growth trajectory of the company.

TheNational Investor http://nationalinvestor.com/ 20

A good, fresh overview of Avino can be listened to in the form of an interview of just a few days ago of Wolfin by Jay Taylor on the latter's Turning Hard Times Into Good Times podcast; it's at

22. silverwood

So here we are 6/9/16 and I was liking Avino mucho when I posted this above post. Take a look at the price action here...Stockcharts.com ASM. Needless to say I am a happy camper!!! So with that said I have been a Mag Silver holder for over 10 years and I bought in when I discovered that they were drilling bonanza grade holes. They have/had great people behind their success story, which is still unfolding IMO, as Fresnillo, their joint partner prepares for production which should begin around 2018. If you are bullish on silver then Mag will rock!!! OK with that said I came across this recently...http://seekingalpha.com/article/3980253-buy-gold-deposit-ahead-maiden-resource-estimate... and did some research. I called IR and spoke with John Foulkes. He told me that the team that put together Mag has moved to Balmoral Resources ( BAL.to/ BALMF). one thing you need to understand in investing in explorers is that the management/director team needs to be right and by that I mean not a bunch of liars standing next to a hole in the ground! Well when I realized it was the Mag team behind Balmoral I bought a position. Do your own research, but I am recommending Balmoral as a buy here.

Hystckndle likes this.
  23. dpong