1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction to Shortwave,Ham, CB & Scanners

Discussion in 'Others-Electronics, Photography, Gardening?' started by searcher, Jan 16, 2014.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Russian Spy Numbers Broadcast-Station E06
    Mary Johnson Shortwave Listener

Published on Jan 5, 2017
    This station was at a somewhat unusual frequency relative to its usual schedule. It also had a stronger carrier then I've previously witnessed. It therefor could be a clever pirate, a western European sound alike intended to confuse spies, or dummy broadcasts for tests.

A radio broadcast known as a "Numbers Station"
    Numbers stations transmit encrypted information to agents in the field. The numbers broadcast can only be decoded by the agent that has the right encryption key. Although we can track where they are broadcast from, its impossible to track who is listening.

This station is part of a larger family of related stations operated by Russia, with transmitter sites across eastern Europe.

2. searcher

3. searcher

New year, new QRM HF and MW
    MikesMovies

Published on Jan 6, 2017
    This is odd, new QRM has sprung up today. Alerted by a neighbor across the road who can no longer tune into MW and SW I did a bit of tracking with my DF loop and found it strong at two houses that were some distance apart. Be glad of suggestions.

4. searcher

1950s MAGNETIC REEL-TO-REEL TAPE RECORDER INSTRUCTIONAL FILM 50564
    PeriscopeFilm

Published on Jan 6, 2017
    “The Magnetic Recorder” is a 1950s black-and-white film by the State University of Iowa explaining the uses and operation of magnetic tape. Almost any sound can be recorded magnetically and played back immediately, the viewer is told at mark 00:55 as we watch a man adjusting various tape machines including an Ekotape that we’re told are available for sale to schools, churches, and industry, and are comparable to those used at radio stations and professional recording studios. At mark 01:18 we see students being tutored in a classroom while using a tape recorder to treat reading and speaking problems. As the film continues we learn of other classroom uses for a tape recorder including assisting teachers improve their teaching methods (mark 03:05). Student musicians also benefit from such recordings, as beginning at mark 04:00 we watch a trombone player practicing his music before reviewing his efforts on tape. Similar efforts are seen on the part of a pianist and violinist before the film address the use of magnetic recordings in the preparation of radio broadcasts (starting at mark 05:30) or in interviews. It can also be used in business, as men are shown practicing their sales pitches, or in meetings where the proceedings can later be transcribed. As the film continues, even more uses are described included uses including in church to practice sermons (as is shown at mark 07:40) or provide sermons to those who cannot attend. Starting at mark 08:00 the film examines the best ways to select and use such equipment as we watch a young boy set up a device followed by an animated explanation of their operation. After watching the boy record a presentation starting at mark 12:15 and its subsequent playback, we learn of how to use a tape can be reused and edited as needed as the film draws to a close. An Ampex industrial 1/4" machine is seen at 17:39, possibly an Ampex Model 400 although we can't say with certainty.

The Ekotape 1/4" reel-to-reel tape recorder shown was made by the Webster Electric Company of Racine, Wisconsin and sold for $395 new -- roughly $3500 in today's dollars! It dates to between 1948-1952 and was considered a professional machine.

mpex is an American electronics company founded in 1944 by Alexander M. Poniatoff. The name AMPEX is an acronym, created by its founder, which stands for Alexander M. Poniatoff Excellence.[1] At one time public, the remaining ongoing business unit (Ampex Data Systems Corporation) was acquired by Delta Information Systems in October 2014, with the original parent, Ampex Corporation, ceasing operations in October 2014.

Ampex's first great success was a line of reel-to-reel tape recorders developed from the German wartime Magnetophon system at the behest of Bing Crosby. Ampex quickly became a leader in audio tape technology, developing many of the analog recording formats for both music and movies that remained in use into the 1990s. Starting in the 1950s the company began developing video tape recorders, which set the studio standards for decades, and later introduced the helical scan concept that make home video players possible. They also introduced multi-track recording, slow-motion and instant playback television, and a host of other advances.

Ampex's tape business was rendered obsolete during the 1990s, and the company turned to digital storage products. They never managed to become a player in this field, and the company was moribund by the 2000s.

Check out this wonderful on-line museum of reel to reel tape recorders! http://museumofmagneticsoundrecording...

We encourage viewers to add comments and, especially, to provide additional information about our videos by adding a comment! See something interesting? Tell people what it is and what they can see by writing something for example: "01:00:12:00 -- President Roosevelt is seen meeting with Winston Churchill at the Quebec Conference."

This film is part of the Periscope Film LLC archive, one of the largest historic military, transportation, and aviation stock footage collections in the USA. Entirely film backed, this material is available for licensing in 24p HD, 2k and 4k. For more information visit http://www.PeriscopeFilm.com

5. searcher

SEA-235 digital HF Single Side band marine radio
    LifeIsTooShortForQRP

Published on Jan 6, 2017
    This is the US made Stephens Engineering Associates SEA235 HF SSB marine transceiver. As you will see in the video, this radio has a hidden feature called "Amateur" which allows it to be operated on any ham band (as well as any other shortwave frequency) in modes USB,LSB,CW,AME and FSK(data). The radio has a digital DSP based IF processor, and as such it can apply different filter bandwidths to accommodate the different operating modes, even a narrow filter for the CW (morse) mode. The transmitter is equipped with two parallel power stages that are combined into 150 watts RF power.

In Marine mode, it facilitates all standard HF marine channels as well as an additional 100 user programmable memories.

6. searcher

7. searcher

Special event station for the Wild Atlantic Way Ireland EI99WAW
    OfficialSWLchannel

Published on Jan 7, 2017
    Received today January 7th 2017 around 1545 UT from Ireland on the 20 meter ham band

8. searcher

'Bird Song' Oddity (UNID 6967.98kHz AM mode)
    Jonny

Published on Jan 7, 2017
    An Oddity Station playing or using a recording of chirping birds to transmit. Not much is known about it. https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Bird_S...

9. searcher

MW DXing with 200 metre Beverage: CFTR Toronto News Talk 680 KHz
    Oxford Shortwave Log

Published on Jan 7, 2017
    Hi there, this is presumed, but I think it very likely the source is indeed CTFR Toronto. I've heard them a couple of times previously, but not for more than a year, so if I'm right, this is a very pleasing catch. I've never copied anything else from the Americas on this frequency by the way. WRKO and WPTF are other potential candidates for this frequency as they are either on or relatively close to the East Coast and TX at 50 KW. Perhaps someone with better ears than me can hear a clue to the identification....too many years of listening to heavy rock for me lol. All I can hear is Donald and Hillary arguing - it was the night of the second presendential debate. Recorded in Oxford UK on 10/1016 at 02:00 hrs UTC using an Elad FDM DUO. Thanks for watching.

10. searcher

January 2017 Favorite shortwave frequencies now available
    OfficialSWLchannel

Published on Jan 7, 2017
    list is available in PDF here

Hello radio friends, here is my Favorite shortwave frequency list for January 2017 - it now includes some European favorite freequencies, all these stations have been received at my location in the last 30 days, the European frequencies have been received at the Utwente SDR online, enjoy !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wzyazamgle3...

11. searcher

12. searcher

Funny CB Radio Skip Coming Into SW Ohio on Channel 6 AKA The Super Bowl
    Radionut R

Published on Jan 7, 2017
    Funny stuff on there CB radio on Channel 6 aka the Super Bowl. January 7th 2017 at approximately 5:45 p.m. eastern Daylight Time

13. searcher

Mad Dog vrs Forrest Gump on 27285 CB Radio
    Radionut R

Published on Jan 7, 2017
    The Mad Dog vs. Forrest Gump 127 285 having a shootout with each other I guess who had the most power. This round to me went to Mad Dog.

What do you think?

14. searcher

Looking At A CCI CB Radio Tester
    Radionut R

Published on Jan 6, 2017
    This is taking a look at a CCI CB radio tester outside and inside. I picked it up I believe at a local flea market a number of years ago and just got around to finding it in my collection of antique Radio gear

15. searcher

16. searcher

Buffalo, NY Blizzard 1977 radio airchecks
    PhilaVideo

Published on Jan 7, 2017
    Buffalo Blizzard 1977 radio airchecks. January 28, 1977.

17. searcher

Sony ICF-SW77 vs ICF-SW55 vs Tecsun PL-310ET: Zambia NBC Radio 1 5915 kHz, excellent reception
    Oxford Shortwave Log

Published on Jan 7, 2017
    Hi there, here is another comparison of these three great portables and I have to say, all three perform very well. For me, the best audio is very close between the ICF-SW55 and ICF-SW77....I can't make my mind up lol.The Tecsun also does really well - you wouldn't necessarily expect a sub £40 radio to have the necessary selectivity in this part of the crowded 49 metre broadcast band, but it manages to detect the signal and deliver pretty good audio. A+ again from Tecsun! Recorded in Oxford UK on 19/12/16 at 18:03 hrs UTC using a Wellbrook ALA1530 active loop antenna. Thanks for watching.

18. searcher

7260 kHz Mongolian Radio 2?
    SWRadio 36

Published on Jan 7, 2017
    01.01.2017, 13:10 UTC
    QTH: Semiluki, Voronezh region, Russia
    Distance: 4747 km
    Equipment: Ritmix RPR-7020 (Tecsun PL-606), antenna built-in-whip

19. searcher

QRP Longpath contact from Korea to Croatia at 10w SSB
    데릭피코너

Published on Jan 7, 2017
    10 watt longpath contact from HL1ZIX in South Korea, to 9A9A in Croatia, with the Elecraft KX2. Pretty poor conditions today, actually. Antenna is a homebrew Moxon beam for 20m.

20. searcher

MW DX with 200 m Beverage: Caribbean Beacon 1610 kHz, Anguilla, best ever reception
    Oxford Shortwave Log

Published on Jan 6, 2017
    Hi there, the Caribbean Beacon on 1610 kHz can nearly always be heard, albeit with varying degrees of signal strength. I've only ever copied a different station on this frequency - some of you will remember I recently logged CHHA 'Voces Latinas' from Toronto. Otherwise, Anguilla is almost ominpresent on this frequency. Here is my reception with the 200 metre Beverage and perhaps not surprisingly, it produced by best reception of this station to-date. Recorded on 10/10/16 at 02:00 hrs UTC using an Elad FDM DUO. Thanks for watching.

21. searcher

Sony ICF-SW77 vs ICF-SW55 vs Tecsun PL-310ET: ABC Northern Territories 4835 kHz
    Oxford Shortwave Log

Published on Jan 3, 2017
    Hi there, I mentioned some time ago that I would be testing the Sony ICF-SW77 against the ICF-SW55, having read a review suggesting the original price delta on the SW777 might not be justified, because performance was closely matched with the SW55. I have a lot of experience with the SW55 - it was the mainstay receiver of my Dx'peditions for about a year, until the ICF-2001D took over. The audio bandwidth filters are excellent and of course, it's very sensitve - one of the best ever 'paperback book sized' portables. To mix things up a little and because it's performance has been way beyond my expectations, I threw the PL-310ET into the mix. You would expect it to be nowhere against these two classics, but again, it's relative performance surprised me. Here is a signal from ABC Northern Territories - the first 3-way comparison. Recorded in Oxford UK on 18/12/16 at 17:27 hrs UTC using a 75 metre longwire. Thanks for watching.

22. searcher

Shortwave gold Part 1. Recordings from the 1980s
    MikesMovies

Published on Jan 7, 2017
    Welcome to shortwave gold part 1.
    This video features recordings I made with my Vega 206 Russian built radio back in the 80s.
    I transferred the recordings to computer and cleaned them up ready to share.
    What wonderful memories 30+ years ago now.
    Join me now then for a trip back in international time.
    Please note, as this is a very long video the video track is very compressed to improve upload speed.
    There are 16 tracks, details on the video

No copyright infringement is intended.

23. searcher

24. searcher

TRRS #1070 - This & That - What's Up?
    hamrad88

Published on Jan 8, 2017
    Just a quick update on what is happening on my channel.

If you found this video useful, please share using the Share button below. Please subscribe to my channel to get automatic notification of new videos.

Support my shows by using my Amazon store at http://astore.amazon.com/tosrarosh-20

Remember, I am no expert so take everything you see with that in mind.

Thanks for watching.

25. searcher

26. searcher

Radio Free Budapest (Hungarian Revolution 1956)
    Jonny

Published on Jan 8, 2017
    Szabad Rádió Budapest reiterates Imre Nagy's radio announcement regarding the Soviet invasion that was a response to the uprising; the attempt by the Hungarians to free themselves of USSR control. Szabad Rádió Budapest was heard in several countries operating 'underground' via shortwave making the world aware of what was going on and also to plea for Western assistance. While the initial phase of this 'leaderless' revolution was somewhat successful, by toppling the Soviet-backed government, Western assistance never came and the revolution was ultimately crushed when Soviet armed forces invaded the country. The aftermath of the revolt gave the Soviet Union an excuse to impose repressive policies in Hungary and the rest of the Eastern Bloc states but it also awakened some to the possibility fighting back against a totalitarian regime something that culminated in the anticommunist revolutions of the 1980s.

Credits
    Audio
    https://intervalsignals.net
    Images
    Hungarian Revolution archival newsreels

27. searcher

SSB CB Radio, Not A CB Radio But On 27 MHZ Yaesu ft100
    Steve Stevens

Published on Jan 8, 2017
    SSB CB Radio.
    The Yaesu FT100 May not be an actual CB Radio, but all the same there it is.
    Having good Audio on SSB Will help to bring in those long distance contacts.
    Providing you have something interesting to say, sound good etc, you should get those DX Contacts.
    Steve has worked hard to get the Ft100 up to this level,and is still experimenting to improve it even more.

28. searcher

Shortwave gold Part 2. Recordings from 1986
    MikesMovies

Published on Jan 8, 2017
    Welcome to Shortwave Gold 2.
    It’s 1986 and this year would bring with it two very memorable disasters.
    Here then, live at the time and in their own words the reporters remind you of what happened.
    There are 15 stations on this video.

It’s always very difficult to avoid © issues with videos of this kind, any musical content has only been included to give context to the shows and stations that are being discussed. No infringement is intended and fair usage rights are requested.

This video contains graphics attributed and used as indicated on the video track and as below:

By Galdrad [Public domain, Public domain or CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/b...)], via Wikimedia Commons

By NASA (Kennedy Space Center Photo Archive) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

By NASA (NASA Human Space Flight Gallery (image link)) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

By Holek (Own work (derived from Blank map europe.svg: )) [CC BY-SA 2.5 pl (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/b...)], via
    Wikimedia Commons (map)

By Slawojar (Own work) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/b...)], via
    Wikimedia Commons

By Bkv7601 (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/b...)], via Wikimedia Commons
    By Carl Montgomery (Flickr) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/b...)], via Wikimedia Commons, PowerStation

29. searcher

Review of The Sidekar, CW device for the KX3 - K6UDA Radio Episode 40
    K6UDA

Published on Jan 8, 2017
    I'm startin' the year with a long overdue review of the QRPworks Sidekar. A super portable CW appliance built for the KX3. Oh yeah, theres a new weather girl in town & you don't want to miss her first time propagation report.
    Please consider supporting me through Patreon https://www.patreon.com
    K6UDA T-shirts, get one today. k6udaradio@gmail.com

30. searcher

Radio Hargeysa 7120 kHz, Somaliland, great reception...whilst my Sony continued to drown!
    Oxford Shortwave Log

Published on Jan 8, 2017
    Hi there, possibly the best signal I've ever obtained from Radio Hargeysa. The weather was really rubbish and I was concerned that I might end up short-circuiting the Sony as it got very wet. Recorded in oxford UK on 06/01/16 at 16:51 hrs UTC using a Sony ICF-2001D receiver and 75 metre longwire antenna. Thanks for watching.

31. searcher

PBS Xizang 6130 kHz, Tibet, English service...whilst my Sony ICF-2001D slowly drowns!
    Oxford Shortwave Log

Published on Jan 8, 2017
    Hi there, a nice signal from Lhasa-Baiding, Tibet, in English. I've only ever heard this station once previously, a year last december, so this was a pleasing catch.The weather wasn't great and my Sony got very wet during this short DXpedition into the Oxfordshire countryside. Never mind, it's still working and that's the main thing. Recorded on 06/01/16 at 16:47 hrs UTC using a 75 metre longwire antenna. Thanks for watching.

32. searcher

Talking DX To The Rat Shack From SW Ohio
    Radionut R

Published on Jan 8, 2017
    Talking some DX to the Rat Shack from here in Southwestern Ohio on my RCI 2950dx.

33. searcher

Spanish DX Coming In To SW Ohio
    Radionut R

Published on Jan 3, 2017
    Spanish DX coming in to my location from who-knows-where I'm assuming Mexico. This radio looks like a Galaxy doesn't it? However it is the grandfather of the Galaxy radios this is the Excalibur SSB

34. searcher

WTF???????????? Seems like drama (and insanity) has hit the radio realm. This is kinda crazy. Is it jealousy? Hate? Envy? Who knows................

Shortwave YouTubers - DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME !!
    HamAndShortwaveRadio

Published on Jan 9, 2017
    Shortwave YouTubers - DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME !!
    Thats right guys , if you are a SWLer and you make videos for YouTube , don't bother , you are WASTING YOUR TIME !

In todays video I tell about how dirt bags scam the YouTube search.
    Some scam artists do it through buying clicks.
    In this video I explain how that (dumb idea) works.

Then in the second half I tell you about a different type of scam that is being carried out by YouTubes biggest Shortwave Radio channel - OfficialSWLchannel.

This channel uses a method called 'Sock puppetry' to make his channel look more popular than it is , which in turn tricks viewers into watching his videos.
    Manipulation of the search engine rankings that puts his videos at the top of the list , while pushing YOUR videos DOWN !

Any and all methods and tricks to manipulate viewers or the search engine rankings are violations of YouTubes terms of use.

If we see channels cheating the system in any way , we should stand up and make our voices heard , and say NO MORE.

NOTE - This video is NOT a 'How-To Cheat' instructional video.
    People that cheat at YouTube and indeed anything are stupid.
    People that cheat do so because they know that on a level playing field , that their skill or expertise is not enough to be noticed among the crowd of voices.
    So they cheat to get a bit of leverage or gain in their favor.
    By so doing cheaters acknowledge that they are sub standard.
    DO NOT CHEAT the YouTube search !

Extra footage used in this video was provided by TheScribe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4697K...

More ham radio and short wave radio videos by gregW:-) OH2FFY at - 'HamAndShortwaveRadio'.

35. searcher

Setting up to test the Bonito Boni-Whip against the Wellbrook ALA1530
    Oxford Shortwave Log

Published on Jan 8, 2017
    Hi there, some of you will remember that I recently purchased a Bonito Boni-whip to use as a second antenna at home. I've read reviews that support this antenna and of course the views of just as many detractors. One user mentioned that it was performing as well as, or almost as well as his Wellbrook loop. That would be great as it cost less than half of what I paid for my ALA1530 14 months ago. I plan to test them head-to-head using the Elad SDR spectrum and record signals on LW, MW and SW. It should be an interesting test! Reception videos to come in the next couple of days. Thanks for watching.

36. searcher

Bonito Boni whip versus Wellbrook ALA1530: Test #1 winner: Wellbrook
    Oxford Shortwave Log

Published on Jan 9, 2017
    Hi there, here is a signal from Medi 1 on LW 171 kHz with nice audio on the Wellbrook ALA1530. Watch as the Wellbrook is unplugged from the Elad FDM DUO and the Boni whip connected (using the supplied radiating element). The noise floor jumps by around 20 decibels and the resulting audio is severely compromised. I read that the Boni whip is often very ineffective in buildings, so I put both antennas in the garden to give it the best chance of success. The problem is however, that my garden is often noisier that inside the house because our neighbours surround us quite closely on three sides. Anyway, test number 1 is a disaster for the Boni whip. Let's see what happens next. Thanks for watching.

37. searcher

Special Event CG1BB celebrating 150th anniversary of Canada
    OfficialSWLchannel

Published on Jan 9, 2017
    CG1BB special event station for Canada's 150th birthday, Nova Scotia , received on January 9th 2017 around 1630 UT

38. searcher

Special event station CG1BB on GP5 SSB 14240 Khz Shortwave
    OfficialSWLchannel

Published on Jan 9, 2017
    CG1BB special event station for Canada's 150th birthday, Nova Scotia , received on January 9th 2017 around 1640 UT on the GP5 SSB receiver

39. searcher

TRRS #1071 - 2017 World Radio TV Handbook
    hamrad88

Published on Jan 11, 2017
    Yes, there is a 2017 version of WRTH despite rumors of its death in 2016.

If you found this video useful, please share using the Share button below. Please subscribe to my channel to get automatic notification of new videos.

Support my shows by using my Amazon store at http://astore.amazon.com/tosrarosh-20

Remember, I am no expert so take everything you see with that in mind.

Thanks for watching.

40. searcher

Mediumwave Testing of Tecsun PL 680 VS CoutyComm GP5 SSB receiver
    OfficialSWLchannel

Published on Jan 11, 2017
    Testing Mediumwave on January 11th 2017 using the GP5 SSB and the Tecsun PL-680