1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction to Shortwave,Ham, CB & Scanners

Discussion in 'Others-Electronics, Photography, Gardening?' started by searcher, Jan 16, 2014.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

2. searcher

MW DX: VOCM 590 kHz, St John's...a minute of classic Country Music from across the Atlantic
    Oxford Shortwave Log

Published on May 6, 2017
    Hi there, country music doesn't get much better than Johnny Cash and despite the audio quality associated with most medium wave DX transatlantic signals, this was great to hear. Hope you agree. Recorded in Oxford UK on 15/01/17 at 01:58 hrs UTC using an Elad FDM DUO and Wellbrook ALA1530 active loop antenna (indoors). Thanks for watching.

3. searcher

Bonito MegActive MA305 USB powered antenna: unboxing and first impressions
    Oxford Shortwave Log

Published on May 4, 2017
    Hi there, most of you will know that 4 months ago I purchased a Bonito Boni Whip and have since then managed to demonstrate how it's a brilliant E-field antenna for DXpeditions - and anywhere quiet, where a compact form-factor is required. There are many reception videos on this channel using the Boni Whip and it's been very nice to hear that some subscribers have noted their intentions to purchase one.

I was so impressed with it that I wrote an article on SWLing Post, including reception videos to essentially prove it's DXing credentials and was subsequently contacted by Dennis Walter of Bonito. Dennis asked if it was ok for him to post my article on the Bonito Newsroom page on their website, which of course I happy to agree to. He also asked whether I'd be interested in receiving other Bonito antennas for testing/ reviewing and sharing the results with our radio fraternity. I gladly agreed to his suggestion and here is the first antenna - the MegActiv MA305.

Whilst similar in specification to the Boni Whip. the MA305 has a slightly wider bandwidth. longer radiating element and rather brilliantly can operate as low as 5V, thus enabling it to be powered via a USB power bank (supplied) for several days! I will be taking the MA305 out on DXpeditions soon and recording reception videos. All will be uploaded to this channel and a report/s uploaded to SWLing Post. In the meantime I wish you all great DX. Thanks for watching.

https://hamradioshop.net/en/Antennas/...

4. searcher

Sangean ATS-909x unboxing and first impressions, with a quick spin around the main features
    Oxford Shortwave Log

Published on May 1, 2017
    Hi there, my good friend Tom Brogan recommended that I buy this radio because a) it's of very high quality build b) excellent audio and c) he believed I could demonstrate what it's really capable of with the Wellbrook ALA1530 and my various longwire antenna configurations. I'd been putting off buying one because I already have lots of radios and the 909x is pretty expensive - around £250 new in the UK. However, I came across one on eBay recently and managed to bag it for more than £100 below the usual selling price. It had been used once and was (accurately) described as in as-new condition. I've always thought this radio was one of the best examples of industrial design in a shortwave radio ever - it's certainly a nice object to have on the coffee table or in your shack. When Tom recommends a radio, I always listen because he knows his stuff - it was he that suggested I buy the Sony ICF-SW100 and the Tecsun PL-310ET. The rest, as they say, is history and the reception videos proving he was correct are on this channel. Anyway, here are my first impressions of the Sangean. Thanks for watching.

5. searcher

Sangean ATS-909x vs Eton Satellit: sensitivity on the whip, Radio Sultanate of Oman 15140 kHz
    Oxford Shortwave Log

Published on May 4, 2017
    Hi there, here is a quick comparison of the relative sensitivity of the Sangean and Eton on their internal whip antennas, using a deliberately signal from Oman. I reckon the Eton just nicks this one, but it's close; a lot closer than I thought it could be. As always, your comments appreciated. Recorded in Oxford UK on 29/04/17 at 14:51 hrs UTC. Thanks for watching.

6. searcher

7. searcher

RTTY Contest on 20 meter band with Afedri SDR and FLDIGI software
    OfficialSWLchannel

Published on May 6, 2017
    Decoding some Ameteur Radio Teletype signals on 20 meters using FLDIGI set to RTTY 45 on May 6th 2017

8. searcher

TRRS #1195 - Shortwave Listening With My New Voice??
    hamrad88

Published on May 6, 2017
    If you found this video useful, please share using the Share button below. Please subscribe to my channel to get automatic notification of new videos.

Support my shows by using my Amazon store at http://astore.amazon.com/tosrarosh-20

Remember, I am no expert so take everything you see with that in mind.

Thanks for watching.

9. searcher

Rockwell Collins HF-380 professional HF SSB transceiver
    LifeIsTooShortForQRP

Published on May 7, 2017
    This is the Rockwell Collins HF-380. an HF SSB/CW transceiver that was mostly used in government and commercial applications. The US military also used this radio in certain support roles. It is an upgraded/extended version of the Collins KWM-380, the latter sold in radio amateur applications. Uncle Sam paid close to 8 grand for this HF-380 transceiver in 1980, in today's money that equals $25,000 US dollars. Even to today's standards, it is an incredibly good radio. The HF-380 was standard capable of general coverage transmitting anywhere between 1.6 and 30 MHz. It was also equipped with a high stability ovenized reference oscillator, which is an FCC requirement for professional HF radios. The one you see here also has the 1.7kHz narrow SSB filter installed, and comes with the original hard to find direct frequency entry keypad. the HF-380 had the keypad interface build-in as standard, as well as the noise blanker and the RF speech processor boards.

10. searcher

Old Time ham radio-going back 50 years.
    burt2481

Uploaded on Jan 31, 2010
    Burt K1OIK makes a contact from his 50 year old station, the Heathkit DX-40 and Hallicrafters S-76 receiver.

11. searcher

12. searcher

A Visit to My Radio Shack
    Rob Wagner

Published on Nov 30, 2016
    A VISIT TO THE AMATEUR (HAM) RADIO SHACK & SHORTWAVE LISTENING POST OF RADIO STATION VK3BVW

Here's a look at what's on my desk these days. From here, I can listen and talk to shortwave radio stations and other radio enthusiasts around the world.

LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS VIDEO FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:

AN OLD ANTENNA COUPLER….as used by an old radio operator!
    http://medxr.blogspot.com.au/2016/10/...

REVIEW: ALPHA DELTA ASC ANTENNA COAX SWITCH
    http://medxr.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/...

RESTORING A KENWOOD R-5OOO RECEIVER - Part 1
    http://medxr.blogspot.com.au/2016/04/...

RESTORING THE KENWOOD R-5000 RECEIVER - Part 2
    http://medxr.blogspot.com.au/2016/04/...

RESTORING THE KENWOOD R-5000 RECEIVER - PART 3
    http://medxr.blogspot.com.au/2016/05/...

RESTORING THE KENWOOD R-5000 RECEIVER - PART 4
    http://medxr.blogspot.com.au/2016/06/...

TECSUN PL680 BEATS EXPECTATIONS - Part 1
    http://medxr.blogspot.com.au/2016/09/...

TECSUN PL-680 SENSITIVITY TESTS
    http://medxr.blogspot.com.au/2016/11/...

COMPANION VIDEO - ROB'S ANTENNA SETUP
    http://medxr.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/...

MOUNT EVELYN DX REPORT: www.medxr.blogspot.com.au

13. searcher

VK5ZEA shack tour
    Michael Carey

Published on Oct 28, 2015
    Here is a quick video tour of my ham shack.

14. searcher

Ham Radio Station at KE0CRP
    KE0CRP Jake

Published on May 3, 2016
    Just a little tour of my ham shack. Feel free to ask questions or post up.

15. searcher

Ham Radio On The Cheap: 2014 Edition
    Mike Parks

Published on May 17, 2014
    Looking at what I consider to be a barebones ham shack setup, that strikes a balance between cost, utility, and minimizing frustrations of getting on the HF bands for the first time. It's not cheap as let's do McDonald's for lunch cheap, but it is far cheaper than the "NASA Mission Control Ham Shacks" we all drool over. This setup includes:

- Yaesu FT897D
    - Buddipole Deluxe Package w/ 12' Whips
    - Buddipole TRSB Balun
    - LDG Signal Meter
    - MFJ-281 External Speaker
    - MFJ-259B SWR Analyzer
    - MFJ-260C 300W Dummy Load
    - QRZ.com for logbook (obviously wifi needed as well)
    - A decent set of headphones helps too

16. searcher

Ham Radio 2.0: Episode 93 - Catching up with Bob, W2CYK, from RFinder
    Ham Radio 2.0

Published on May 6, 2017
    In Episode 60, I had my first interview with Bob, W2CYK, about the new Android DMR device from RFinder. In this new episode, I wanted to catch up with Bob and talk about some updated to the Andoird DMR phones, and also gain some new knowledge about additional products upcoming in 2017.

http://livefromthehamshack.tv

17. searcher

HRN 318: Home on the (Antenna) Range, on Ham Radio Now
    HamRadioNow

Published on May 4, 2017
    Antenna Testing is a big part of the various VHF conferences held around the US and the world. They set up an antenna range and compare antennas against a known reference for gain and pattern. Results are published, and while there's little head-to-head competition, there are bragging rights.

Gary KN4AQ visited the antenna range at the Southeastern VHF Society conference, held this year (April, 2017) in Charlotte, NC. He poked around with his camera for a while, then talked to the guy who's been setting the range up for the past decade, Al Tirevold WA0HQQ.

Before and after the interview segment, Gary and co-host David W0DHG talk about the niche phenomenon of SSB and CW on VHF/UHF (and above). Yes, there is more to 2-meters than FM (and DV) and repeaters! Gary's ham-history goes back to the 60's, just before repeaters filled up most of the 144 and 440 bands. He recalls that there was a little SSB and a little more AM activity around 145.0, but mostly it was vacant space.

Links:
    - SouthEastern VHF Society: http://svhfs.org/wp/
    - All the raw 'B-Roll' video Gary shot starts at 54:09

18. searcher

Amateur Radio Roundtable 5 2 17
    w5kub

Streamed live on May 2, 2017
    This Tues May 2, on Amateur Radio Roundtable, join Katie, Dave, and me with our special guests Don Wilbanks Don Wilbanks and Glen Popiel KW5GP. Don will give us all the details about the Hamnation300 special event in May and also fill us in on the Young Ham of the Year. Glen will be showing and discussing all the new ham radio Arduino projects in his newly released book. Tom has some big announcements and surprises (they are out of this world) regarding Hamvention 2017. Watch on W5KUB.COM at 8:00 PM Central time Tues. Chat room and phone iines are open for viewers questions and comments. This show is always simulcast on famous international shortwave station WBCQ on 5130 Khz. (for Intl 0100 UTC Wed) Pliease join our facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/w5kub/

Ham radio/shortwave radio show on w5kub.com every Tuesday night at 8 PM central. We are also on shortwave station WBCQ on 5130 Khz from Monticello, Maine. Special remote guests, chat room, and call-in phone lines for our viewers. send signal report to tom@w5kub.com Please join our Facebook ham group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/w5kub/

19. searcher

Oxford Shortwave log: the first 20 months and some interesting thumbs up/down analytics
    Oxford Shortwave Log

Published on May 8, 2017
    Hi there, it's been nearly two years since I posted my first ever reception video - Radio Havana Cuba, with the Tecsun PL-360. In that time I've uploaded a lot of videos, made a lot of friends and had a great time with our brilliant hobby. However, it would seem that not everyone is very happy with the activity on this channal and towards the end of the video I show you where they are and how isolated their views are. Thanks for your friendship and support. 73! OSL

20. searcher

Ham Radio 2.0: Episode 94 - Green Country Hamfest 2017
    Ham Radio 2.0

Published on May 9, 2017
    Today I get to sit down with Merlin, WB5OSM, and Tim, KE0GWR, at the Green Country Hamfest in Claremore, OK. We get to learn about the history of the Hamfest itself, andabout some cool new toys from Bridgecom Systems for Amateur Radio repeaters..

This is the type of show I plan to record at several upcoming Hamfests in 2017 and 2018. If you're interested in being interviewed or just rag-chewing,hit me up..

http://livefromthehamshack.tv

21. searcher

Mini Whip Active Antenna - AM/MW DX of Smart Talk 1580 KGAL @ 1580 kHz from Lebanon, Oregon
    Danny Shortwave And Radio DX

Published on May 9, 2017
    I'm using the RTL-SDR V.3 USB dongle with the NooElec Ham it Upconverter with HDSDR software connected to the Mini Whip Active Antenna about 30 feet above ground on my roof using 100 feet of RG-8X coax cable to my basement shack.

Lebanon, Oregon is about 2902.6 miles or 4671.2 kilometers from Yonkers, New York.

Thank you for watching. :)

22. searcher

Mini Whip Active Antenna - AM/MW DX of 650 AM WSM @ 650 kHz from Nashville, Tennessee

Published on May 9, 2017
    I'm using the RTL-SDR V.3 USB dongle with the NooElec Ham it Upconverter with HDSDR software connected to the Mini Whip Active Antenna about 30 feet above ground on my roof using 100 feet of RG-8X coax cable to my basement shack.

Nashville, Tennessee is about 902.8 miles or 1452.9 kilometers from Yonkers, New York.

23. searcher

Mini Whip Active Antenna - AM/MW DX of NewsRadio 1180 WHAM @ 1180 kHz from Rochester, New York

Published on May 9, 2017

Rochester, New York is about 338.4 miles or 544.6 kilometers from Yonkers, New York.

24. searcher

Mini Whip Active Antenna - AM/MW DX Weak signal of Radio Progreso from Havana, Cuba @ 640 kHz

Published on May 9, 2017
    Please excuse the fading of the signal, there are several strong stations in the U.S. on this frequency. You can skip to the halfway mark for the better audio signal, clearly it's from Cuba and able to verify from several websites of it's origin.

I'm listening on my Grundig Satelitt 750 connected to the Mini Whip Active Antenna from a height of 30 feet on my roof connected with 100 feet of RG-8X coax cable to my basement shack.

Havana, Cuba is about 1325 miles or 2132.3 kilometers from Yonkers, New York.

25. searcher

Vintage Zenith Trans-Oceanic H500 - Shortwave broadcast of Radio Rebelde from Havana Cuba @ 5025 kHz

Published on May 9, 2017
    Listening to my Vintage Zenith Trans-Oceanic H500 portable tube radio connected to the stock telescoping antenna with an alligator clip to a 120+ feet of wire at a height of 40 feet at the highest point on my backyard. I'm located in Yonkers, New York.

26. searcher

Vintage National NC-188 Tube Radio - Shortwave broadcast of Radio Marti @ 6030 kHz

Published on May 9, 2017
    Listening to my Vintage National NC-118 tube radio connected to a 120+ feet of wire at a height of 40 feet at the highest point on my backyard. I'm located in Yonkers, New York.

27. searcher

Radio Havana Cuba DXers Unlimited May 9 2017 on 15140Khz Shortwave Radio
    TheScottytr6

Published on May 9, 2017
    Poor propagation meant the last 3 episodes of DXers Unlimited were too weak and noisy to be posted. Conditions have improved slightly so here is today's mid-week edition of DXers Unlimited shortwave radio related program via Radio Havana Cuba on 15140Khz shortwave radio. This is a weekly program on Tuesdays at approx. 1940UTC. The broadcast was tuned in with my Icom IC-R9500 radio in Toronto.

28. searcher

Radio Kuwait 15540 kHz, Tecsun PL-310ET telescopic antenna, first reception at my QTH
    Oxford Shortwave Log

Published on May 8, 2017
    Hi there, this was the evening I first managed to hear Kuwait - and worth waiting for - the signal on my Elad FDM DUO was huge - strong enough to easily copy them with the modestly priced, but excellent PL-310ET using the whip antenna. Recorded in Oxford UK on 05/05/17 around 20:59 hrs UTC. Thanks for watching.

29. searcher

KCBS Pyongyang 9665 kHz, North korea, excellent copy with Sony ICF-SW100
    Oxford Shortwave Log

Published on May 2, 2017
    Hi there, another signal from North Korea, this time their internal shortwave service. Once again, how brililant to pull a radio out of your pocket and hear this??!! Recorded in Oxford UK on 28/0417 at 17:14 hrs UTC using a 6 metre wire. Thanks for watching.

30. searcher

This is the news....from North Korea 9890 kHz, Eton Satellit and 30 metres of wire
    Oxford Shortwave Log

Published on May 10, 2017
    Always a compelling listen and more so these days with all the tension on the Korean Peninsula. Once again the Eton does a fine job with a non-resonant piece of wire, this time 30 metres in length.

Recorded in Oxford UK on 31/05/17at 16:38 hrs UTC using an Eton Satellit receiver and 30 metres of wire. Thanks for watching.

31. searcher

HRN 319: Hamfest Fun... Redux, on HamRadioNow
    HamRadioNow

Published on May 9, 2017
    A fairly short medley of stories from my local hamfest:

-- Packet is Back. A new take on packet networking.

-- Smoke & Solder. Engaging new hams in a useful construction project.

-- Reddit Spy. Gary infiltrates a meetup.

32. searcher

ETH068 - Are You Weather Aware?
    Everything Ham Radio

Published on May 11, 2017
    Hello everybody and welcome back to the Everything Ham Radio Podcast! In this episode we are going to talk about how to be Weather Aware, We talk about W5KUB and his Hamvention Marathon at Hamvention next weekend, we talk about some upcoming events/contests and hamfests over the next two weeks and wrap it up with some news from around the hobby!

33. searcher

Ham Nation 299: Digital Net Controls
    Ham Nation

Gordo explains various types of loop antenna, Bob continues the Pine Board Project, Don brings the top news of the week along with a solar update, Val interviews Bob Striegl K2DRH about VHF UHF and Microwave bands, and Amanda interviews the Digital Net Controls!

34. searcher

How I learned Morse code fast and easy
    HamRadioConcepts

I did it. Here is a video explaining how I learned Morse code (CW) pretty quick using my own method, which for me actually worked better than what I tried from other recommendations. Everyone has their own learning pace, their own method that works, or their own method that sticks in their head without boring them. At least I am on the venture to yet another mode (one of the few i have not tried yet).
    Support my channel. A small donation of any amount through PayPal would help me bring more material to my channel.

35. searcher

Cb radio truckers rag chew about stuff.
    Tim Olson

Cb radio chatter

36. searcher

DMR Net check-ins on a TYT-md380
    Tim Olson

37. searcher

6100 kHz Radio Afghanistan Russian service
    SWRadio 36

Published on May 13, 2017
    12.05.2017, 17:08 UTC
    QTH: Semiluki, Voronezh region, Russia
    Distance: 3070 km
    Equipment: Ritmix RPR-7020 (Tecsun PL-606), antenna built-in-whip
    Informative programm about Europe, few minutes later they put the song in Russian.
    KCBS Pyongyang on background

38. searcher

TRRS #1196 - Coming Back
    hamrad88

Published on May 12, 2017
    If you found this video useful, please share using the Share button below. Please subscribe to my channel to get automatic notification of new videos.

Support my shows by using my Amazon store at http://astore.amazon.com/tosrarosh-20

Thanks for watching.

39. searcher

TRRS #1197 - Surprise Surprise It's Working
    hamrad88

Published on May 12, 2017

Thanks for watching.

40. searcher

TRRS #1198 - TV DXing Part 1
    hamrad88

Published on May 13, 2017
    Correction: I live on the West coast of Florida.

Thanks for watching.