1. Have a great Memorial Weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gone Fishin'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/27/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- Silver $17.32-- Oil $49.80-- USD $97.36 --
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Irons ongoing MD finds thread

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by Irons, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

GOLD & PLATINUM 2013

pirates.gif PIRATE.GIF

pirate33.jpg

Everything is freezing up so fast now I doubt I'll get the chance to find more until 2014. :hmpf:

A fantastic year for my second season as a water hunting Pirate. It will be tough to top this one but you all know I will try like crazy every year to do it!

32 Gold rings and one Platinum diamond ring that blew my mind. :cheerful:

Good hunting out there folks and a hearty Thank You all for all the kind words, tips and encouragement. :thumbs_up:

Now for the pics, 104.3 Grams of Gold and 6 grams of Platinum. :s9:

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

w4.jpg

w5.jpg

w6.jpg

w7.jpg

w8.jpg

w9.jpg

w10.jpg

w11.jpg

w12.jpg

w13.jpg

w14.jpg

w15.jpg

w16.jpg

w17.jpg

w18.jpg

w19.jpg

w20.jpg

w21.jpg

w22.jpg

w23.jpg

w24.jpg

w25.jpg

w26.jpg

w27.jpg

w28.jpg

w29.jpg

w30.jpg

w31.jpg

w32.jpg

w33.jpg

2. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    Anyone who doesn't appreciate how much you put into this thread and the finding of the treasures really isn't thinking straight. From the frozen North I wanna thank you for teaching me a bunch.
    Barry

3. Irons

Thank you Barry that makes my day, I appreciate it! :cheerful:

pitw, searcher and TheMadHatter like this.
  4. Zilver

Zilver Gold Member Gold Chaser

nice finds Irons!,
    It's amazing your still detecting this late in the year
    you are an addict!:cheerful:

View attachment 51273

metal-detector-in-snow.jpg

bemac, searcher, andial and 2 others like this.
  5. Irons

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    bemac and searcher like this.
  6. Unca Walt

Unca Walt Midas Member Midas Member

Oh, Brother Irons...

The Gold Beneath The Waves book arrived. A few pages in, here comes a URL

There's a fargin forum for Fisher CA21's.

One guy took a movie of his first dive. You ain't gonna believe this. You ain't gonna SLEEP tonight!

First dive -- after about 7 minutes, printed on the screen: "I won't bother showing coins from now on." :thumbs_up: :eating::thumbs_up: He had already found a ring or two...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xRnO7faE6uw

Wait until you see the GOLD -- just the gold -- he got in his FIRST dive...

Lookit the final scene and weep.:bowdown::bowdown::s9::s1::thumbs_up::cheerful:

bemac and Irons like this.
  7. Irons

That was awesome! :s9: The guy made a great video too many are too boring to watch he edited that one just right.

On the first big Gold ring he said it fooled him with a high tone, I can relate high tones are usually silver or a coin.

The last big 14k ring I found last week rang like a penny. I was so surprised to see a Gold ring I tossed it back in the lake and scanned it again. :bear_blink:

Sure enough it had a high silver content. Big 10k rings can hit high like that too from high copper content.

All in all Unca that video is not unbelievable at all. When you find the rare cut or runnel there will be targets all over, years and years worth.

It's quite a rush to say the least! :s9:

8. Unca Walt

Well... with the blessing of my bride, I haggled him down to $750. Took four "offer" cycles.:beerglass:

He din' wanna sell, really... but he'd hurt his back when he had only ten hours on the machine.

Now I gotta make an Irons scoop ... even though his pics are not complete enough (*A-fargin-HEM*) to tell me the weak spots to watch for. And what is that thing stickin' out the back on his?? Looks like D. Vader's mouthpiece.

Anyway, all and sundry, Unca is all a-twitter.

I will accept that I have found all the "treasure" this world has to offer... and won't be crushed if I never find anything that would interest this esoteric group...

...All that crap said, I dO know a shore-accessible gold galleon wreck... (*Buwahahah!*) Ya never know...

Oh sheet! This almost NEVER wait a minnit happens... My beloved redheaded witchwife is taking over:

This is PC. The old warhorse thinks he will love it. Perhaps. But if he doesn't, it doesn't matter. The deal was that if he gets this gadget he has to take me to the beech more often.

Silver Buck, Tinbox and Irons like this.
  9. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    Whoops! Wrong thread....

[​IMG]

Irons likes this.
  10. Irons

11. Unca Walt

Unbelievable!

The machine just arrived... in its original box.

Hour later:

Got it outa the box...there was the guy's original Bill of Sale. He bought the fargin thing new THIS YEAR! And now it's all mine!!! buahaha

Took it outside, was unable to do a damn' thang until my bride came out and helped. I failed mizzably at ground bounce: never heard a peep. But the manual sez it might well be non-mineralized ground. Herself procured Mercury dime and dropped it onna lawn. With everything set to default (colored number settings), I walked toward it.

SHREEEEEEE!!

Gawd. I wuz so susprised, I spotted. So I decided to try that built-in pinpointer. It's a bistable capacitance switch (button doesn't move).

Is that thing EVER neat!!! If that dime was more than an inch from the center of the coil (a see-through hoop) -- it would not make a sound. This thing is going to be the Bomb on the beach; if you get a signal, you can dig away a LOT without the effort you'd haveta gin up inland. And it really does pinpoint.

Now... if I can only find some mineralized ground to make sure I'm doing it right... AHA! The fargin BEACH!!! It got seriously colder today -- had a high of 74.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    Irons likes this.
  12. Irons

........................ :thumbs_up: :cheerful:

I'm excited for you man! All I see out the window here is snow so get out there and score us some treasure to drool over!

13. Unca Walt

There's gonna haveta be a delay: My shoulder is still in a huge (stinky) cumbersome brace. When it comes off... I gotta have step-by-cautious step phys therapy... (*sigh*)

Absolutely puffeck weather.:eek_ma::cry_smile::vollkommenauf:

Irons likes this.
  14. Irons

Get that shoulder good and strong before you start. There is a good amount of work involved and it's best to start slow, an hour or 2 a hunt until your stamina builds.

Good luck Unca! :cool:

hammerhead and Unca Walt like this.
  15. Unca Walt

By the way... To All And Sundry Who Might Givvacrap:

Alla this stuff is completely Irons's fault!

Even Herself bought me a big fargin plastic shovel for beach shovelin'.

I just GOTTA show you one beach I am most ricky-tick gonna hit when I have more parts of my body attached securely. It is named "Jap Rock".

The setup is thisaway -- for about a mile, there is a heavily-visited beach that has ROCK either exposed, or no more than ten inches under sand. Which means, of course, that anything hidden under the sand will be easypeasy to find with my new toy.

Here's a Google Earth link... I hope if ya clicks onnit, you'll see the beach:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/21487732?source=wapi&referrer=kh.google.com

This link shows the rock-bottomed "wading pool". The brownish area is rock with two inches of sand onnit. The wading pool area is water two feet deep with the same sand-over-rock bottom. Geez, I hope youse guys can see the pics on the links!

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/54560838?source=wapi&referrer=kh.google.com

This is a Google Earth aerial shot of the Jap Rock (permanent) "wading pool" which is just under that medallion lookin' thing in the middle of the pic. You can see how the rocks march up and down the beach... but that little cove has been a favorite of tens of thousands of folks... (*drool*)

[​IMG]

I'm purty sure this one will work... Lookit the actual shoreline. See how deep the sand... AIN'T!? :s9: VERY popular spot. The waves you see are breaking over rock. This goes on for a whole mile. And if I can get it together and get out to the tinkle line...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    Irons likes this.
  16. Irons

Nice, but you ought to delete that post.

If I swear on a stack of bibles I'm hunting Holland beach you can bet your a$$ mine isn't within 100 miles of there! :s9:

Drive over at low tide sometime and see how much competition you're going to have.

It's the guys with beat up looking machines and mis matched gear you have to worry about.

The prima donna hunters not so much.

17. CiscoKid

CiscoKid They all look good through beer goggles... Gold Chaser

Engineer / Business owner
    Fresh back from my vacation in Negril, I have to share a tale of swashbuckling piracy with you all. First morning there, my wife and I take a walk on the beach in the early hours and I spot what can only be Iron's long lost brother from another mother. He's out in pretty deep water scooping like a mad man and I've just got to see what he's using. His name is Greg and he's from Pennsylvania. His wife and he travel a good bit and he takes the detector pretty much wherever they go. He's used it on the beaches in Mexico as well. Real nice guy and he even posed for a photo for we degenerates here at GIM. He hadn't found any gold yet (I suspect the water isn't cold enough to shrink fingers enough), but he had lots of clad and beer bottle tops and even a couple of $20 Jamaican coins (worth about $.20 here). As can be expected, he's swinging a Garrett AT Pro and he couldn't say enough good things about it. :thumbs_up: Turns out this guy has done some panning as well so you just know he's got pirate's blood. He would fit in well here.

Attached Files:

JFN111, searcher and Irons like this.
  18. Irons

Only clad and bottle caps out here mon. :rolleyes: He could have scooped a diamond platinum wedding cluster from hell 2 minutes before you walked up and you would have gotten the same answer.

Gotta love a professional. :bowdown: :thumbs_up:

He is indeed a pirate! :cheerful:

JFN111, Unca Walt and CiscoKid like this.
  19. CiscoKid

CiscoKid They all look good through beer goggles... Gold Chaser

Engineer / Business owner
    Indeed. I was thinking the same thing. Wife unit said he would swing, stop, scoop, then quickly tuck something in his pocket and move on. Perhaps this is how he and his wife can take so many vacations? :cheerful:

Irons likes this.
  20. Irons

Vacation beaches can be freaking jackpots to say the least. Everything lost by folks who will be gone next week.

Being on vacation makes folks want to look their best and show off a bit, once there people don't want to leave their good bling in their rooms or locked in their rental cars so even the more cautious folks will wear jewelry at the beach.

This is the main reason I do so well. People who own the cottages don't lose their jewelry in the lake, their guests do. :bear_smile:

21. Unca Walt

I had thought about that before I posted the pics. BTW: could you see the pics in the links?

Here is an interesting tidbit: Himself has been going there (without a MD) for thutty years +

Never saw a metal detecting dude at that place. :hmmmm2::cheerful: I dunno why (hope the rocks are not made of copper ore cochina!) I've seen them a blue jillion times down by Fort Liquordale...

But that rock area is my "beginner" place. When I learn, I am gonna go to my sunk ship area.

andial and Irons like this.
  22. Irons

sigh................ :cry_smile: :argh:

winterbeach.jpg

wsummer.jpg

23. Unca Walt

At least you've been able to get yer fix.

Here I sit... it is 78 degrees outside. And I CANNOT use my CZ21, my new big plastic shovel, or the rest of the stuff -- becuz my arm ain't done re-attaching itself to my alabaster bod.

:thumpdown::thumbs_down:

hammerhead and Irons like this.
  24. Irons

You got the gear, check!. :thumbs_up: Make sure you have the all clear then proceed with caution your body will tell you when to back off.

Like you read in chapter one, beach and especially water hunting is a hell of a lot more work than the tourists give us credit for.

Because of where you live you can hunt year round, I be jealous. But you don't have the luxury of a winter to recover from injuries.

I had to stop a few times last summer because the tendons and elbow on my scoop arm were protesting LOUDLY and the knee I drive the scoop down with was none too happy either.

Because of that I bought a basic exercise thingy that I pedal and work my arms at the same time to toughen up for summer.

Rip a tendon loose or grind a joint bad and we're out for a long time. Not worth it.

I can't wait to see your first real jewelry loot! :s9:

25. engineear

engineear Seeker Seeker

Medical field
    Like the "cold" and "hot" pics.

Irons likes this.
  26. Unca Walt

Awright... just discovered this one. They were digging down... found a dime, I think.

But... later on, outa the same hole, they were taking out double handfuls of coins.

FILLED A FARGIN WHEELBARROW. :bowdown:
    :bowdown:
    Then they found another cache...

I do NOT have access to that little film strip thingy, so will sumbody make the video work. TIA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ctz_O-QrwJg

27. Irons

[video=youtube_share;Ctz_O-QrwJg]http://youtu.be/Ctz_O-QrwJg[/video]

lucy_may, searcher and Unca Walt like this.
  28. PhucilliJerry

PhucilliJerry Gold Member Gold Chaser

WhyKnow and Irons like this.
  29. Irons

:bear_blink:

Dayum! I would guess my treasure hunting brothers and sisters in Brazil are too busy to post in forums. . . .:bear_blink:

30. Tbonz

Tbonz Gold Member Gold Chaser

Irons, it's a new year and I have yet to see the first gold find of the year, what gives????

31. Irons

Man, now you're just being mean! :bawling: The whole world is frozen I can't get out until the ice breaks up. :cry_smile:

32. pitw

Wouldn't this be a good time to do the areas that are shallow now? Or the low lieing ares where it ain't much fun walking in when the water is liquid?

33. Irons

I have a creek that rarely freezes over totally and I get in there when it warms up into the 20's. Problem is that sucker is frozen too.

Let me see if I can find a few winter hunting pictures from a more normal winter. There have been no thaws or breaks in the cold at all this year.

feb503RS.jpg

feb504RS.jpg

feb1902RS.jpg

3-6-12rs - Copy.jpg

searcher and pitw like this.
  34. pitw

Frick man. I didn't mean walk in it, I meant walk on it, you know like that dude in Africa but don't fall in. Them wader thingys and cold water were never a good mix. You are dedicated, I'll give you that. How far does that eletronic thingy go to find gold? I was kinda thinking you could mark spots for digging when the ground thawed.

35. Tbonz

Irons, I'm sure that you have an ice saw up there in Michigan, download a couple of albums from "Da Yoopers" and get to work. We need inspiration here in Minnesota. :s1:

Irons likes this.
  36. Irons

Lol, I got a lot of experience wading in cold rivers steelhead fishing before I ever started treasure hunting.

Winter steelhead fishing isn't considered crazy around here but treasure hunting is. Go figure.

Depth. The machine I use can see and identify a coin or ring sized target pretty easily at 10-12 inches or 30 cm.

Really hard dry soil a little less and beach sand under water quite a bit more say up to 14-16 inches. Soil conductivity is the key.

It usually can't identify a target at those max depths but it will tell you something is there.

37. Irons

Actually I have been thinking dynamite there Tbonz. :hmmmm2:

A few sticks here and there and I could blow an acre or so of ice off a beach and spend a relaxing afternoon waterhunting. :cheerful:

38. Tbonz

Hmmmm, that is a great idea. Make sure you get a long enough fuse, as I hear it is very tough to run in those waders. Make sure you check for leaks in those waders, my dad had to pull the three wheeler out of the lake after a run over thin ice by yours truly and he cussed me out for a week because of shrinkage.:rolleyes:

39. Unca Walt

So I checked up on the PECULIAR laws about Floriduh and metal detecting.

Oh.

Boy.

1. You haveta get permission from the local dragon to walk on the beach with a detector.

2. You CANNOT metal detect IN THE WATER. <-- TINS.

3. You cannot MD at a "life guard beach".
    http://www.ehow.com/list_7219970_florida-laws-metal-detecting.html

OK, I completed the first hoop jump. But the very last thing they said to me was:

"You can keep pull tabs and the like, but any treasure must be turned over to us."

RIIIIIGHT. :cool1::star:

The #2 Rule is there becuz of the unique peculiarity of the Treasure Coast. The GUMMINT controls every aspect of treasure salving. When I was on the Ella Worley (HUGE treasure salvor ship), every single thing you brought up had to be handed to the gummint guy.

No exceptions: Beer cans, sinkers, coins, ROCKS, everything. The gummint guy examined each thing, and threw the garbage into a great big container. The treasure salving company has a deal $$$ with the gummint:

The salving company knows where the wreck is, and the deal is a split of 50-50 with the gummint. In return, NOBODY can go along the bottom with a metal detector except the ones with the formal claim.

Of course, if Unca happens to wade out a tad on a deserted beach...

Wish my fargin arm would reattach quicker. I am getting antsy. Herself said she would work the big green plastic shovel for me.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    Irons likes this.
  40. Irons

Yeah I heard y'all got some laws in places down there.

I'm just glad old Mel didn't find any treasure ships in my neck of the woods! :thumbs_up: