1. Stocks down 9 out of 10 sessions and weaker this am. Metals also weaker
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Thur Morning! Gold is -4 to 1249, while Silver is down 9 to 1815. Crude is off 10 to 4941 after recent reversal. The USD is up 8 to 9992.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/25/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1248.50-- UP 18.30 Silver $17.75-- UP 34 Oil $47.97-- DOWN 134 TICS USD $99.42 -- DOWN 66 tics

Is The Technician Shortage Becoming A Catastrophe?

Discussion in 'Job Listings-Requests-Discussions' started by searcher, Mar 1, 2016.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Goldhedge likes this.
  2. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Some of the jihadis should have went to vocational school instead of bomb vest making school.

3. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Free Marketeer
    It is out of control

I've gone to hiring engineers willing to work ad technicians for the first two years, and pairing them with hard workers willing to learn advance but without formal training

It's 60k for what was a $20/hr position

searcher likes this.
  4. bb28

bb28 Silver Member Silver Miner

if only we had a more qualified workforce ... the answer will be to import people from Dumfukistan on a special new visa program. This story is already well sold.

bb

5. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    I remember my days as an engineer, fun as heck (I'm an architect now). I would have considered working with technicians a great opportunity to teach. Yeah, engineers command more money but you must realize it's worth the investment considering the alternative

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    Ensoniq likes this.
  6. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

$20 hr...... heck that's only $5 over the min wage. What do you expect. When I became a journeyman Tool & Die Maker I was making 4.3 times min wage and going down hill ever sense.

7. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    Flipping burgers for 15 bucks an hour astounds me. That's supposed to be a part time job for kids and students.

8. Ensoniq

Free Marketeer
    I wasn't talking about journeyman or someone with the tool and die maker skillset. I was talking about entry level Engineering Technicians. Guys that are mechanically inclined but didn't get their Engineering degree so they work in conjunction with and under the direction of an Engineer. Tech's will make $65 to 75k within 4-5 years considering OT and bonus.

It's been 30 years since I had plant with a proper machine shop. I mean back before CNC when manual lathes and mills where the tools of the day. No 3D models, just napkins and blueprints that were actually blue from the printing process.

Model shop guys (what we called the tool and die caliber people) were making $18-$20 back then.

Now, a kid with a computer draws it and the 3D printer or machining center spits it out. It's a damn shame the art and skill and requirement to feel the part being created is a dying requirement

searcher likes this.
  9. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    Plenty of diesel mechanics out of work in WV.

Ensoniq, glockngold and searcher like this.
  10. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

I can surely see the oncoming train,

The constant beating the drum about college, even free college,
    The destruction of the middle class,
    The telling our young that these jobs are rough and require working hard,
    etc.

The discussion needs to change that the trades, all of them, can put you in a position to do well.

Ensoniq and searcher like this.
  11. Uglytruth

"The discussion needs to change that the trades, all of them, can put you in a position to do well."

Maybe slightly better than a falling average that is sinking like a rock. Maybe if you are a self employed plumber with low overhead. But with the burden of school costs, tool costs, responsibility & now that their is a shortage they want you to live there 12 hrs a day 6-7 days a week, and like my last job did not pay double time for Sundays. That is simply a way for them to not have any motivation to improve.

Ensoniq likes this.
  12. searcher

One thing I noticed after the 2008 collapse (you know - the one where GW rewarded liars, crooks & thieves with bonuses paid for by the American taxpayer) is that a lot of businesses used that as an excuse to lower wages and benefits - even when it wasn't necessary to survive & thrive. In most cases it was done for greed.

I knew several very knowledgeable guys who were laid off and when they went on job interviews they were offered chump change money (and bennies) compared to what they used to make. Some chose to go into other fields and some retired. Kinda sad when you realize the knowledge they could have passed on. They simply were not going to sell themselves short.

And now businesses and their brought and paid for politicians want to legalize a bunch of illegals and import a bunch of camel jockeys to take the jobs "Americans don't want to do."

Another thing ..................

When ever I hear a business / company saying they "can't find qualified Americans" I always ask do you provide on the job training? Do you have an apprenticeship program? The answers are usually an insult to the intelligence of any thinking person.

13. Uglytruth

"you realize the knowledge they could have passed on"

Go ahead give it a try. Last time I tried to explain a mistake that was made to an apprentice he turned and walked away. When I was younger I would have blown a gasket. Now I walked over the the boss & told him I won't work with or teach him anything. Keep him away from me. A few weeks later I was working on a large die job. The boss came over the lend a hand & got said apprentice involved. When he was asked to hand us something he said "pleeeeezzzzzeeeee" like we were at the dinner table passing the beans. It pissed the boss off & he told him point blank " if you were any good and paying attention you would have seen what we needed and already had it ready". He was pissed off, boss & I just smiled. They don't believe we had to get coffee or move guys tool boxes from one end of the shop to the other "and you had not better scratch it" or clean up after a journeyman. They are all knowing like 13 year old girls.

14. searcher

Never experienced that.

15. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

As far as mechanics,
    Maybe...
    But I spend a lot of time talking to young techs, 30 & under, that haven't seen that kind of pay.
    At the dealership, on book rate & sorry nothing came in today... (but you have to stay in case it does)
    Or an hourly guy that started at $15 & was at $18 after 3 years.
    And as far as debt, most owe their soul to the Snap-On truck.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  16. Ensoniq

Free Marketeer
    This is exactly the problem I have with the production applicants. If anything I, reverse discriminate because I'd rather have the old guy that learned the value and honor of his contribution.

The kids think they are owed a job and think that it's not worth their time to start below $20/hour. They have no experience, minimal interpersonal skills, poor work ethic etc. etc. it's much easier to get a 50 year old guy whose experienced the economy and understands the value of working for a company that will treat him right if he pulls his weight.

17. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

So true, don't have a pot to piss in, but sure as hell can rack up the bills with the snap boyz, all while telling you what you are doing wrong........

then wonder why their wife is so mad at them that there is no food on the table or shoes on the kid,

funny as heck,

18. searcher

Lotta ways to buy tools with out putting a tool truck guy's kids through college.