1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Is these the right time to invest in gold????

Discussion in 'Purchasing Precious Metals' started by Centaura, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Centaura

Centaura New Member

Well guys i am planning to invest in gold i have heard that the international markets are in trouble. Everybody keeps telling me not to invest in the markets until the turbulence settles. My biggest fear is losing all of my money to a bank run, should the American economy collapse. While I am weighing all this options, one of my old friend introduces me to gold investing What ensues there after was an intro in how to invest in gold and the amount of information that i received is amazing and extraordinary and has left me in a haze

What's your take on these guy's???

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  2. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    My take? Gold is NOT an investment.

3. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    Trading FRN's for real money is a preservation of wealth more than it is an investment however; investing in wealth protection isn't the worst idea in the world either. It depends on what your definition of investment is

historyrepete and Ebie like this.
  4. luckabuck

luckabuck Gold Member Gold Chaser

My biggest recommendation is not to invest in a gold fund or paper gold derivatives. If you do not hold physical gold, you hold nothing.

CrimsonGuardJay and GOLD DUCK like this.
  5. CrimsonGuardJay

CrimsonGuardJay Silver Member Silver Miner

Interesting point, there has never been a time in the history of this world since recorded human civilization that man who had "alot" of gold was NOT considered rich.

6. earplugs

earplugs Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

buy all the nickels you can.

thank me now.

7. Weatherman

Weatherman In GIM since 2006 Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Is this a good time to have fire insurance on your home, or auto insurance on your car? Silver or gold coins or bars securely stored where you can get to them at any time without needing assistance or permission from anyone else are insurance against very bad things that can happen at any time. How much to buy, and when to buy, are different questions, but it is a good plan to have "enough" for your circumstances.

searcher and Son of Gloin like this.
  8. Centaura

Centaura New Member

Well I am looking forward to invest in gold as well as Gold mining stocks ,Gold ETFS ,Gold derivatives and the most important Physical Gold!!!

9. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

When is it not a good time to invest ... other than when it's not. If you're looking to make money, then gold is a bad idea. If you'll looking to KEEP money ... gold is a good idea. We've seen people invest in sure things that could not possibly go backwards .. only to see them destitute. $100/barrel oil. Nortel. Heck ... an attic full of toilet paper only to lose it to mice. Haven't seen anything eat gold yet. Haven't seen a day when the ticker price was anything more than comedy gold either.

Hystckndle and GOLD DUCK like this.
  10. GOLD DUCK

GOLD DUCK Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

QWAK,When you look deep in to the FIAT abiss you know that preserving some wealth is as obvious as a squirrel saving nuts for the winter!

BAD times are coming that they have not yet impacted us all is only because the massive frauds have hidden the truth. :bomb::thumbs down:

the DUCK :winks2:

searcher and Son of Gloin like this.
  11. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Gold seems to me to be fully priced at the moment. Whether it is or not, acquiring some for insurance at any price is a worthwhile pursuit. Just not yet. Let me explain.

Since the gold silver ratio (GSR) is quite high by historical standards at 80ish, it makes much more sense to first buy physical silver. When the ratio drops to a more normal 50-60, trade for your gold if you must. If after slippage and commissions you pick up 20 points on the GSR you have just acquired 25% more gold (or bought it at a 25% discount) without spending any more cash.

An added bonus with that strategy is that it takes the sting out of a price drop. Just look at your stash as ounces of gold or silver instead of dollars. Call it mental accounting.

By buying silver with the intent to hold or trade for gold with an eye on the GSR and it's almost certain decline, it's about as close to a sure thing as you will find.

Son of Gloin and SilverBuyer like this.
  12. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    That's a fair strategy. I'm of the belief that it only takes one event to turn the global financial world on it's ear. Today the countries of the world are all joined at the hip and information travels the world at the speed of light. Any one event, or a series of events that create a domino effect can change the price of gold and silver drastically. What's true today could be ancient history by tomorrow

13. SilverBuyer

SilverBuyer Silver Member Silver Miner

I'm on board with D-Fenz, I'm buying 100% silver right now and zero gold. GSR of 80 is just way too high to justify gold in my opinion. The only reason I can see for buying gold over silver at the moment is if you think there will be some sort of paradigm shift and the previous norms for gold/silver ratio will no longer apply.

Merlin and D-FENZ like this.
  14. Professur

A guy named SilverBuyer is buying 100% silver right now .... I'm stunned.

15. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    I buy gold because I'm lucky enough to have the discretionary available dry power. I have several monster boxes of silver already and will probably continue to buy silver also but I favor gold because it's always had enormous value for what it is (an inanimate chunk of metal) vs silver.

There is no right or wrong approach just as long as you keep stacking

historyrepete and GOLD DUCK like this.
  16. historyrepete

historyrepete Silver Member Silver Miner

I take the approach similar to the best time for planting trees, 20 years ago. If you miss that window then today is the best day to start. And like many here I'm only interested in physical pm.

Hystckndle and Son of Gloin like this.
  17. Fjpod

Fjpod Silver Member Silver Miner

Not that it matters, but I agree gold is not really an investment. It is a way to preserve a cash reserve that you can't, or choose not to, invest at the moment. You should probably plan not to use the money you put into PMs in your lifetime, unless you are very young.

18. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    Oh, and welcome to the board!

19. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    **welcome to the board**

what else are you going to put your $ into???

GOLD DUCK likes this.
  20. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

I buy gold and silver as an investment. I expect to make a good return in the next few years, as I did from my 2003-2007 investment, that I held until 2011. Not sure if it will be sold for Dollars this time, or for direct purchases like land and equipment. BTW, if I didn't think G&S were undervalued, I wouldn't buy it.

Hystckndle likes this.
  21. Centaura

Centaura New Member

Guy's as of now i am not looking to make money i am looking to have some wealth for future so that if crisis arises there should be a source of income to rely on and make some thing out of it , these is so because i love investing but the last 2-3 instances have made be suffer a lot. During the Oil barrel incident there was a time when i was about to bankrupt but the investments that i had done in to commodities helped me a great deal to recover!!!
    And at these moment i don't want to take a risk until the market is bullish.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  22. edsl48

edsl48 Silver Member Silver Miner

I own some GORO stock....that is an investment gamble
    I own physical possession of gold and silver as an insurance policy
    See how simple it is?

Centaura likes this.
  23. Centaura

Centaura New Member

What about Gold ETFS????????????

24. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

I would argue stop right there, as it is all confusion ahead,

Keep it simple and start slowly.
    Click the logo at the top for JMB and cruise their site.
    Watch the tab at the top for their weekly specials that come out every Monday.

Make a purchase, a smallish one. Watch what it takes, how to order, how long it takes to get to you. All of the above. Don't pretend to know everything and go all in on a hunch or someones opinion.

Make a plan and stick to it. Buy some here and there and don't worry about missing any boat. Get used to it. After awhile you will get the feel for when prices seem to be right, and when they are out of whack. Get involved and learn. Watch the other guys here as they are all really really good.

There is a lot more to this than just emptying your wallet and waiting for nirvana.

Don't worry about gsr ratios and all that jazz right now as it is nothing but noise to you at this point. Buy what you like and stick to it. There are no get rich quick schemes with this. If someone is pumping the heck out of you or something, it is only because they are already in and want to see it do x.

Above all, relax and enjoy your purchases and appreciate them for what they are.

Physical is for wealth retention and preservation.

Paper games like etf's, stocks, etc all all the gambling side of the equation. The greater fool theory side. Many of us play that side too, looking for that greater fool. Yet, we also understand that we are one of those fools.

Good Luck!

25. Unca Walt

Unca Walt Midas Member Midas Member

Centaura
    -- Lookit luckabuck's quoted post above.

I would bet any gold I had (if I had any) that the vast majority of the savvy folks here would loudly repeat those last nine words in your ear:

"If you do not hold physical gold, you hold nothing."

The "Day After", you can take your portfolio of beautifully-scrolled Gold ETF Certificates down to the bank...

...which is closed.

Then you can go home and start to wonder howcum you do not own ONE FARGIN DIME.

Hope that's clear. It sure as hell is sincere.

CrimsonGuardJay and GOLD DUCK like this.
  26. Professur

So long as you realize there's no actually gold anywhere to be found in an ETF. It's a pyramid scheme. If it's your intent to toss money in, pray that the price goes up and get back out quick, go for it. If it's your intent to own gold ... you won't. There's no possibility to convert it to deliverable metal. There's no metal to deliver. And if the price moves too much, there's every likelihood that it'll implode leaving you with just enough paper to wipe your arse. If you printed out the electronic receipt.

27. GOLD DUCK

:thumbs down:

QWAK,Professur,It is worse than that ---all ETFs are a way to keep the scam going longer and avoid the scam being exposed!

28. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    The message sent by all the members here is clear and consistent. I've learned a lot from these folks

• Buy physical, don't buy paper gold as it's a sucker's bet
    • Buy the dips, a little here, a little there
    • Buy for wealth protection, not to get rich

29. GOLD DUCK

QWAK,The best time to buy GOLD was when it was under $300.00:2 thumbs up:

It will be NOW ---- when GOLD is over $3000.00 :oriental:

30. Centaura

Centaura New Member

The world is going through rough times. The second episode of the Chinese stock market crash last week has spooked stock investors across the globe. Meanwhile, bond yield spreads are rising, adding to investors’ fears of bigger defaults in the bond markets. what does these abrupt changes in the stock market indicate then???
    @Scorpio: You are dam right mate!!!! and i will look forward to invest in to Physical gold rather than some paper like stuff!!!!

Scorpio likes this.
  31. Silvergun

Silvergun Silver Member Silver Miner

Land Surveyor
    Lots of good advice in this thread so far.

One of the biggest lessons I learned when starting out is DO NOT BUY INTO THE HYPE. For example, years back when silver was in its bull market various poeple here were posting rocket ships, saying the dreaded "its different this time" and really parading around that its going to the moon. DO NOT LET THAT ALTER YOUR BUYING PLAN. Dollar cost averaging, sticking to a comfortable plan you have setup to pay your bills and maintaining financial comfort (avoid credit card debt) is critical. I bought into the hype and made some lackluster purchases when silver was in the 40s. If you back up the truck at the wrong time it could ruin you. As others said, this is not a flip and get rich plan. Smart people than you and I have lost it all messing with this stuff thinking they can time the market.

Preserve your wealth slowly, carefully and tactically. If you overbuy and have to sell some of your stack when the market is low to cover bills than you over extended yourself. Slow and steady wins this race from my perspective.

P.S. I will say again (becuase ya its that important)...DO NOT BUY INTO THE HYPE, people will do anything to justify their purchases. Those same poeple who were posting "OMG OMG ITS GOING TO $100" when it was in the $30-$40 range are now nowhere to be found when silver is at $16. When it climbs back up they will magically return. Buy low, sell high seems like an obvoius concept, but realistically people like to buy into bull markets because they think this time will be different.

Scorpio likes this.
  32. Winston_Room101

Winston_Room101 Seeker

has it ever been otherwise ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://www.jstor.org/stable/2591743

Back to Gold, 1252
    Robert Sabatino Lopez
    The Economic History Review
    New Series, Vol. 9, No. 2 (1956), pp. 219-240
    - - - - - - -
    from Section IV : http://www.jstor.org/stable/2591743?seq=11&loginSuccess=true#page_scan_tab_contents

All explanations that have so far been suggested for Europe's resumption of
    gold coinage rest on the assumption that sustained demographic and economic
    expansion created an ever-growing demand for additional means of payment.
    [ ... ]
    The secular trend cannot account for the fact that the first move was made
    precisely at Genoa in 1252.
    We have to narrow down our investigation to what we might call the major
    business cycles, [ ... ]
    [ ... ]
    ... I would not hesitate to speak of a complete cycle of approximately fourteen years,
    with an upswing from 1248 to early 1255 and a downswing from late 1255 to 1261. If
    this diagnosis is correct, the introduction of gold coinage occurred at the peak of the
    phase of prosperity and was followed fairly closely by the beginning of recession.
    [ ... ]

from Section V : http://www.jstor.org/stable/2591743?seq=17#page_scan_tab_contents

Evidently the authors of the reform, among whom Leccacorvo and Fieschi were
    paramount, deliberately overvalued gold, in order to leave a margin of profit to
    those who converted uncoined metal into coin.
    [ ... ]
    Further, we may note that while not all the holders of gold had a say in the
    government of Genoa and in the monetary reform, all those who had a say
    were holders of gold. If private profit is to be regarded as the most powerful
    driving force of human action, we may have thus detected the deepest though
    not the only reason for the reform of 1252: the crumbling price of gold and the
    desire of the reformers to bank on it.
    [ ... ]
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I find that the words Punt or Bet are more useful than the word Invest

Hystckndle likes this.
  33. GOLD DUCK

QWAK,Centaura,That is just the latest chapter---- it is never over -- things just change.:oriental:

34. Homestead woman

Homestead woman New Member

Some really good information here! I appreciate all of it. I have only a little silver put back right now but hope to start accumulating more--not paper, of course.

Son of Gloin and historyrepete like this.
  35. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Hello,
    Welcome to the forum.
    We are glad you are here.
    Regards,
    Haystackneedle

36. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Welcome HW (may I call you HW?). This is a tremendous resource for learning about metals. The guys here are very well educated, experienced and intuitive. I've learned a ton here and had amassed some wealth in PMs....that is of course before the tragic boating accident where all my PM's (and my guns too I may add) went to the bottom of the Atlantic. Very sad....

37. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Neither gold or silver pay dividends or interest. So, when you buy precious metals with the hope/anticipation of future gains, you are speculating, not investing. So that should put a different spin on it for you. Your gold and silver purchases are not investments; they are speculations. Even more than investing in stocks and bonds, your purchases of gold and silver should try to avoid the peaks. If you buy high and prices tank, there will be no dividends or interest to soften the blow while you wait for prices to rise again. Be careful.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    Mujahideen likes this.
  38. GOLD DUCK

QWAK,Homestead woman, When not if the fiat FRAUD SYSTEM implodes even a small amount of SILVER and or GOLD will be a lot compaed to the 99% who have NONE!:2 thumbs up: Hang in there and STACK when you can.:thumbs up 2:

Money you ting you got in any bank could become the governments money

http://financialmartiallaw.com/?cid=MKT261537&eid=MKT274874&gclid=CLuEgJPXss0CFQ4zaQodejwDLQ

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  39. Unca Walt

Unca Walt Midas Member Midas Member

All good advice here... and some differing viewpoints (three, really).

Buyers and Sellers <-- some savvy dudes here who make serious bucks doin' it.

Numismatic Types <-- Some buy and sell, some hold.

Buyers and Holders <-- Thass yer Unca. I have just been slowly transferring paper into PM over decades. Like a buncha others here.

Each of those philosophies have their merits and demerits. Each are just fine for those adopting them.

Lastly... Nobody sez you cannot mix a couple of those philosophies together.

REO 54 and the_shootist like this.